Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[April 17, 2024, 11:14:56 PM]

Academic All Americans by AlumKCof93
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:57 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by withoutbias
[April 17, 2024, 10:44:37 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 07:24:33 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Plaque Lives Matter!
[April 17, 2024, 06:35:36 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[April 17, 2024, 05:13:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NL Central Pissing Match - 2011  (Read 74023 times)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
Re: NL Central Pissing Match - 2011
« Reply #450 on: August 09, 2011, 09:01:45 AM »
Still taking bets?   ;)

Give me 3 weeks and I'll get back to you.

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #451 on: August 09, 2011, 10:59:16 PM »
And yet, Packers training camp news is still the first sports story on Milwaukee area newscasts.  (At least last week it was.)

Gotta remember, they are the super bowl champs, and in Wisconsin, are king.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #452 on: August 13, 2011, 04:10:10 PM »
Give me 3 weeks and I'll get back to you.

down to a 4.08 ERA

1.56 ERA and 0.99 WHIP since the allstar break

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #453 on: August 13, 2011, 05:29:00 PM »
down to a 4.08 ERA

1.56 ERA and 0.99 WHIP since the allstar break

But luck had nothing to do with his first half numbers.  He just figured it all out, it clicked at the snap of his fingers.  His high ERA told the entire story.  That's all that matters, not some fake stats that don't matter.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #454 on: August 13, 2011, 09:20:24 PM »
But luck had nothing to do with his first half numbers.  He just figured it all out, it clicked at the snap of his fingers.  His high ERA told the entire story.  That's all that matters, not some fake stats that don't matter.

Yes, it's obvious he snapped his fingers and went from incredibly unlucky to insanely lucky.  It wasn't that he actually did pitch poorly and was potentially tipping his pitches. It was all a matter of luck. I'm sure he was slightly unlucky early in the season...but I also think he just wasn't very good. The "truth" is probably somewhere in between our two viewpoints.

Not related to Greinke specifically, but have any other Milwaukeeans noticed the complete lack of buzz surrounding the Brewers? I don't mean that as an insult or anything. Maybe it's out there and I'm just missing it, but I'm genuinely shocked at how little people around seem to care that the Brewers are in the 1st place in mid-August.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #455 on: August 14, 2011, 12:06:14 AM »
Yes, it's obvious he snapped his fingers and went from incredibly unlucky to insanely lucky.  It wasn't that he actually did pitch poorly and was potentially tipping his pitches. It was all a matter of luck. I'm sure he was slightly unlucky early in the season...but I also think he just wasn't very good. The "truth" is probably somewhere in between our two viewpoints.

Not related to Greinke specifically, but have any other Milwaukeeans noticed the complete lack of buzz surrounding the Brewers? I don't mean that as an insult or anything. Maybe it's out there and I'm just missing it, but I'm genuinely shocked at how little people around seem to care that the Brewers are in the 1st place in mid-August.

You're serious?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #456 on: August 14, 2011, 12:22:09 AM »

Forgot the teal?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #457 on: August 14, 2011, 09:10:16 AM »
I am serious and I did not forget the teal. Like I said, maybe I'm just missing it because I don't follow the Brewers but it doesn't really seem like the city is all that excited.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 09:14:31 AM by MerrittsMustache »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #458 on: August 14, 2011, 02:25:51 PM »
I am serious and I did not forget the teal. Like I said, maybe I'm just missing it because I don't follow the Brewers but it doesn't really seem like the city is all that excited.

Part of it I imagine is the fact the NFL, and the Packers just returned.  A cure for cancer could be discovered, but if Aaron Rodgers rolled his ankle in practice, that would bump that news off the front page.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #459 on: August 14, 2011, 06:49:58 PM »

Today's attendance:  45,103.

Capacity of Miller Park: 41,900.

No Buzz at all though.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #460 on: August 14, 2011, 07:25:41 PM »
Today's attendance:  45,103.

Capacity of Miller Park: 41,900.

No Buzz at all though.

Attendance and "buzz" are not the same thing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #461 on: August 14, 2011, 08:55:06 PM »
What do you want Merritts?  People holding parades through the streets?  Is it any different than then the Packers are leading their division with four regular seasons games to go?  I doubt it....

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #462 on: August 14, 2011, 09:37:46 PM »
TV ratings are up. Radio is up. Attendance is very strong. Merchandise sales are very strong.

There's a buzz. People are following this team very closely.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #463 on: August 14, 2011, 10:40:41 PM »
TV ratings are up. Radio is up. Attendance is very strong. Merchandise sales are very strong.

There's a buzz. People are following this team very closely.

Thanks for providing an actual response supported by facts instead of being an a-hole. I guess I'm just not seeing or hearing the buzz because the fans who I'm friends with and work with are much more interested in the Packers' up-coming season and have the Brewers as kind of an afterthought. Perhaps I need a new "buzz barometer" or perhaps I'm used to the craziness that ensues when the Cubs are even marginally in contention.

LON

• All American
« Reply #464 on: August 15, 2011, 07:21:30 AM »
Thanks for providing an actual response supported by facts instead of being an a-hole. I guess I'm just not seeing or hearing the buzz because the fans who I'm friends with and work with are much more interested in the Packers' up-coming season and have the Brewers as kind of an afterthought. Perhaps I need a new "buzz barometer" or perhaps I'm used to the craziness that ensues when the Cubs are even marginally in contention.

I think there is a buzz, but Brewers fans are doing a good job keeping it in perspective.  Lots of baseball to be played, and expectations for this team are high as well.  "Tempered" buzz?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #465 on: August 15, 2011, 09:26:27 AM »
Perhaps I need a new "buzz barometer" or perhaps I'm used to the craziness that ensues when the Cubs are even marginally in contention.

I would never expect the Cubs buzz to be nearly as close as the Brewers, and as a Cubs fan I envy the Brewers for that.

Mostly because there's no decent sports talk radio in Milwaukee that will sound the trumpets as the team nears contention, they get the same coverage regardless of their position (see 670 and the White Sox right now).

I think there is a buzz, but Brewers fans are doing a good job keeping it in perspective.  Lots of baseball to be played, and expectations for this team are high as well.  "Tempered" buzz?

This is what I find refreshing.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #466 on: August 15, 2011, 10:54:46 AM »
I would never expect the Cubs buzz to be nearly as close as the Brewers, and as a Cubs fan I envy the Brewers for that.

Mostly because there's no decent sports talk radio in Milwaukee that will sound the trumpets as the team nears contention, they get the same coverage regardless of their position (see 670 and the White Sox right now).

Apparently the THIS IS THE YEAR!!! contingent of Brewers' fans is signficantly less than what we see as Cubs fans  ;D

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #467 on: August 15, 2011, 01:05:19 PM »

Facts?  I'd say conjecture, but whatever floats your boat.

All I am saying is that I haven't heard anyone describe the Brewers as Buzz-less.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #468 on: August 15, 2011, 02:17:50 PM »
Apparently the THIS IS THE YEAR!!! contingent of Brewers' fans is signficantly less than what we see as Cubs fans  ;D

That's because "This Is The Year" is a licensed trademark of the Chicago Cubs Baseball Club, Inc., all rights reserved.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #469 on: August 15, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »
That's because "This Is The Year" is a licensed trademark of the Chicago Cubs Baseball Club, Inc., all rights reserved.

I thought it was "Wait till Next Year"?

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #470 on: August 15, 2011, 02:42:56 PM »
I thought it was "Wait till Next Year"?

It only becomes "Wait Til Next Year" after the fan base realizes that it is not actually the year. Sometimes this happens in October (i.e. '03, '07, '08) and other times it can happen as early as the Cubs Convention in January (i.e. '11).

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #471 on: August 15, 2011, 03:41:25 PM »
Whatever the case may be, this is a picture from earlier today (presumably around the lunch hour):

The parking lots haven't even opened yet for today's game, and the six open ticket windows I can see are 7-12 people deep.

If you've got 50+ people in line at a given moment - in Milwaukee, no less - on a Monday morning/afternoon waiting to buy tickets (when they can more conveniently be purchased online), I can't think of a better way to demonstrate "buzz."

The only way there could be more buzz over this team right now would be to shoot Brent Williams out of a cannon over Miller Park. (EDIT: Something which I am absolutely NOT advocating as a faithful Warrior.)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:43:20 PM by Benny B »
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #472 on: August 15, 2011, 07:06:27 PM »
They weren't waiting tickets, just for Bierbrauers t-shirts, which were the absolute tits yesterday BTW.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #473 on: August 15, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »
They weren't waiting tickets, just for Bierbrauers t-shirts, which were the absolute tits yesterday BTW.

+1. Grienke's sneak preview helped the cause.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #474 on: August 15, 2011, 08:26:32 PM »
+1. Grienke's sneak preview helped the cause.

Haha that was pretty funny.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter