[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[June 10, 2024, 10:45:56 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[June 10, 2024, 06:17:14 PM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Uncle Rico
[June 10, 2024, 05:59:32 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bid in doubt as #1 Kansas still winless on road vs. Top 50 RPI  (Read 5364 times)

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
Bid in doubt as #1 Kansas still winless on road vs. Top 50 RPI
« on: February 14, 2011, 10:24:15 PM »
Like Marquette, Kansas now has ZERO wins on the road against teams in the RPI Top 50.

Kansas hoped to finally notch an NCAA bid today by getting it's first win of the year against an RPI Top 50 team, but fell to #40 Kansas State by 16 points.  Clearly on Selection Sunday they will be told, "I know you have some nice home wins, but clearly you just can't win on the road against a Top 50 team, and don't belong in the tournament."

Clearly Kansas is even worse than another team that will not make the tournament due to no quality road wins - Marquette.  The lowest ranked team that MU has lost to on the road was #24 Louisville, which defeated MU by 1.  At first glance it may appear that Kansas lost to K-State was even worse than MUs loss to Louisville because it was by 15 more points and against a lower ranked team, however, several MU fans have informed us that MUs one point loss to Louisville was worse because MU led for most of the game rather than being destroyed for 40 straight minutes from the opening tip and losing by 18 points.

At this stage the two failed programs can try to salvage some respect by winning all home games in the NIT and meeting in the NIT final final.

The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Bid in doubt as #1 Kansas still winless on road vs. Top 50 RPI
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 10:29:16 PM »
well played bama.   ;D

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 10:29:44 PM »
If our 6 toughest road games were the same quality as Kansas, I have to believe we would be 3 - 3 and combined with 3 wins over ranked teams at home, we would be a ranked team.

Ridiculous you say?  How did Kansas get to #1?  Who did they beat?  #4 Texas and #20 Missouri both at home.  Well MU beat #15 'cuse, #17 ND and #24 WVU. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 10:34:20 PM by AnotherMU84 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 10:29:57 PM »
Some well needed humor. Good stuff.

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 10:34:23 PM »
well played bama.   ;D

Thanks!   :D sorry for my incompetence in hitting the teal button while in the headline, but figured this one would be pretty obvious.
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:52:53 PM »
More importantly, Kansas State just picked up a huge resume win.  They are one of the teams on the bubble as well.

Did anyone see if K State rushed the court after beating number 1 KU?  I was playing Racko with my kids so I missed it.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 12:36:27 AM »
Yeah, they rushed the court.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 01:05:36 AM »
Yeah, they rushed the court.

Wow.  I guess they missed the guidelines that were posted here the other day on when it's appropriate to rush the court.  What a travesty

JMcSteal

• Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 01:15:26 AM »
awesome post bama

wildbill sb

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 01:26:55 AM »
BILL SELF should be FIRED!

(and I'm not kidding.)
“I’m working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect.”  - Doug Sanders, professional golfer

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 01:32:53 AM »
BILL SELF should be FIRED!

(and I'm not kidding.)

Your view is held by many KU alums. 

El Duderino

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 02:56:16 AM »

Not surprising to hear, Roy Williams has also caught a bunch of flack by North Carolina fans.

I see the same thing in college football. Les Miles regularly getting ripped on by LSU fans even though he won a national championship and his teams have consistently been really good. Even Urban Meyer caught heat from some Florida fans and the guy won two national championships.

Fans of so many college sports programs often have ridiculous expectations. It's like they feel their program has a near God given right to national championships or in basketball at least a NCAA Tournament berth every season.

If that doesn't happen, the coach has to be an incompetent moron.

I'm not trying to make college basketball or football coaches out to be these super sympathetic figures given the huge amounts of cash most make who have jobs at a big conference university, but man, so many fans of college sports today IMO drive a lot of the sliminess in recruiting and kids being fake students by the never being satisfied enough attitudes toward the programs these type of fans follow.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 02:59:46 AM »
If our 6 toughest road games were the same quality as Kansas, I have to believe we would be 3 - 3 and combined with 3 wins over ranked teams at home, we would be a ranked team.

Ridiculous you say?  How did Kansas get to #1?  Who did they beat?  #4 Texas and #20 Missouri both at home.  Well MU beat #15 'cuse, #17 ND and #24 WVU. 

Actually Texas beat Kansas.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 06:28:11 AM »
More importantly, Kansas State just picked up a huge resume win.  They are one of the teams on the bubble as well.

Did anyone see if K State rushed the court after beating number 1 KU?  I was playing Racko with my kids so I missed it.
I thought home games didn't count towards a teams tourney resume? ;D

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 06:34:45 AM »
Good analysis, Bama, and I get the satire/sarcasm, but we both know that Kansas will get in long before we do, and will be probably no lower than a 3 seed. If we get in, and that is a big if, we would be about a 10 to 11 seed.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

marquette99

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 07:48:12 AM »
Good catch haywards heros. You are correct that ku is 1-1 at home against rpi top 25 while mu has 3 home wins against rpi top 25.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 07:53:41 AM »
Did anyone see if K State rushed the court after beating number 1 KU?

Did anyone get spit on,in the face?

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 08:05:28 AM »
Self has obviously lost his team.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 08:55:51 AM »
Good catch haywards heros. You are correct that ku is 1-1 at home against rpi top 25 while mu has 3 home wins against rpi top 25.

Yes my bad. They did lose to Texas at home.

They also beat #16 AZ (KenPom) on a neutral court last November.

Seriously, other than the fact that they only had one loss, KU has never been tested as they beat up regularly on teams like Nebraska (#48) Baylor (#49) and Michigan (#54).  They had no business being #1.

If we played their schedule we would have 3 to 5 losses and be ranked.  KU now has two and will still be top 5 next week.

http://kenpom.com/team.php?team=Kansas

🏀

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 09:05:46 AM »
Wow.  I guess they missed the guidelines that were posted here the other day on when it's appropriate to rush the court.  What a travesty

I support that rush. They were underdogs and won. They also weren't a top 15 team.

Marqus Howard

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 09:14:30 AM »
I support that rush. They were underdogs and won. They also weren't a top 15 team.

They were ranked 3rd in preseason polls. Even if they aren't ranked now, this wasn't a huge upset. Not even close.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 09:22:42 AM »
They were ranked 3rd in preseason polls. Even if they aren't ranked now, this wasn't a huge upset. Not even close.

Were they the dogs in the game?

If so, it was an upset.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 09:37:14 AM »
I thought home games didn't count towards a teams tourney resume? ;D

???

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »

And they're morons.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 11:46:06 AM »
Not surprising to hear, Roy Williams has also caught a bunch of flack by North Carolina fans.

I see the same thing in college football. Les Miles regularly getting ripped on by LSU fans even though he won a national championship and his teams have consistently been really good. Even Urban Meyer caught heat from some Florida fans and the guy won two national championships.

Not trying to threadjack, I actually think Les Miles is a pretty poor coach. Mich is my CFB team, and I wanted no part of the money and guesswork that comes with the mad hatter.  They've had some success, but I think most competent football coaches could recruit and compete there. 

PS, maybe Roy will get sick of all the bashing on the UNC fanboards, decide to leave, and come be Buzz's bench/in-game assistant.

feedback