'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bid in doubt as #1 Kansas still winless on road vs. Top 50 RPI  (Read 5363 times)

BrewCity83

• All American
Re: Bid in doubt as #1 Kansas still winless on road vs. Top 50 RPI
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »
Did anyone get spit on,in the face?

There was no video evidence of any such act presented to the coach. 

"We won...deal with it."
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 01:19:14 PM »
PS, maybe Roy will get sick of all the bashing on the UNC fanboards, decide to leave, and come be Buzz's bench/in-game assistant.

In all seriousness, see what Lavin is doing at St. Johns.  Lavin is trying to assemble a "dream team" of assistants
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2010-03-31/lavin-says-hes-aiming-for-dream-team-assistant-coaches-st-john

One assistant coach is Gene Keady, the legendary head of Purdue.  He might be more qualified than Lavin.
Interesting story on him today ...
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/02/15/gene-keady-fitting-right-in-with-lavins-red-storm/

Another is Mike Dunlap, has built a reputation as one of professional and college basketball's leading strategists and on-court instructors.
http://www.redstormsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/061510aab.html

He also has Tony Chiles, He used to work at Iona, bringing in very good NYC talent to the New Rochelle school. Iona won 2 Metro Athletic Conference titles while he was an assistant there. Chiles, touted in the past as a very good recruiter, is noted to not be affiliated with any one NYC AAU or high school program, which will really help new coach Steve Lavin get in with the best players in the city.
http://theeastcoastbias.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/new-st-johns-assistant-tony-chiles/

---

If the head coach is the president of most basketball programs, Lavin is setting himself up as the "chairman of the board"

I think this is brilliant and surprised more head guys are not set up like this.  Especially young head coaches that go get the "old war horse" that understands various aspects of the game but don't want to deal with recruiting and the media.  Just show up in the gym and mold them into a basketball team.

(Buzz was close when he had Dale Layer and I would not mind Layer returning).

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 01:57:51 PM »
And they're morons.

They may be.  As a KU alum, I think Self is a good coach and don't mind him.  That being said, with the talent level they have and the expectations that go with it, MUCH higher expectations than I have at MU, there is no question that he feels the heat at times.

I stated probably 4 or 5 weeks ago that I think this KU team has some significant flaws in it.  Whether that is coaching or player skills is up for interpretation.  I would not be surprised to see them exit in the 2nd or 3rd round and I believe I made that statement before they had a loss this season.  In the games I've watched, they have a hard time shaking a number of teams that their so called ranking suggests they should shake easily.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2011, 02:03:54 PM »
They may be.  As a KU alum, I think Self is a good coach and don't mind him.  That being said, with the talent level they have and the expectations that go with it, MUCH higher expectations than I have at MU, there is no question that he feels the heat at times.

I stated probably 4 or 5 weeks ago that I think this KU team has some significant flaws in it.  Whether that is coaching or player skills is up for interpretation.  I would not be surprised to see them exit in the 2nd or 3rd round and I believe I made that statement before they had a loss this season.  In the games I've watched, they have a hard time shaking a number of teams that their so called ranking suggests they should shake easily.

Christ Chicos, how many schools did you go to? Starting to sounds like Mbakwe!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2011, 02:15:47 PM »
Christ Chicos, how many schools did you go to? Starting to sounds like Mbakwe!

MU Undergrad

KU Graduate School

IU Graduate School

Never been accused of rape...so Trevor has me on that one.  I concede, I do like attending college basketball schools rich in tradition.

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 02:19:17 PM »

Is your N = 1 on that alumni survey?  Seriously, I go to about 10 KU games a year and know quite a few of their heavy hitter donors and nothing, I mean, nothing could be further from their minds in terms of any type of upset with Self.   He is about as far away from a hot seat as a coach can be in a major destination program.    When he walks on the court before games he is treated like a rock star.  He actually won a national championship when Roy could not at KU....that will never be forgotten...even with the dreadful early exit from the tourney last year.     I am an MU alum, through and through, but KU is a fantastic program and I would bet my favorite scotch that Self will be there as long as he wants and will have more national championships to show for it before he is done.

Back to the original thread....thanks for the humor during an awful string of negativity on the board.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 02:36:57 PM »
MU Undergrad

KU Graduate School

IU Graduate School

Never been accused of rape...so Trevor has me on that one.  I concede, I do like attending college basketball schools rich in tradition.

Any restraining orders outstanding?
Do you now, or have you ever, employed a criminal lawyer on your behalf?
Have you ever been arrested for posting in Face Book?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 03:08:03 PM »
MU Undergrad

KU Graduate School

IU Graduate School

Well, there's something to shoot for, right?  ;D

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 03:15:08 PM »
Great post - Did you ever write for The Onion?  Here is a link to an article that originally debuted in The Onlin - for any husband tired of dealing with a constantly talking wife:

http://www.recoilmag.com/news/area_husband_pretends_0702.html

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2011, 03:26:18 PM »
Is your N = 1 on that alumni survey?  Seriously, I go to about 10 KU games a year and know quite a few of their heavy hitter donors and nothing, I mean, nothing could be further from their minds in terms of any type of upset with Self.   He is about as far away from a hot seat as a coach can be in a major destination program.    When he walks on the court before games he is treated like a rock star.  He actually won a national championship when Roy could not at KU....that will never be forgotten...even with the dreadful early exit from the tourney last year.     I am an MU alum, through and through, but KU is a fantastic program and I would bet my favorite scotch that Self will be there as long as he wants and will have more national championships to show for it before he is done.

Back to the original thread....thanks for the humor during an awful string of negativity on the board.

Definitely not n=1 but I totally get where you are coming from.  His NCAA victory bought him a lot of his status.  A few ESPN VP's that I deal with are KU grads and they wonder if the one NCAA championship will keep the school away from winning several because they're stuck with Self.  I don't concur, but that is there feeling.  I do, however, understand their perspective, much of it set on expectations.  This year those expectations are too high by their fans in my opinion.  I don't think they're even the best team in their conference, let alone in the land.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2011, 03:27:56 PM »
Any restraining orders outstanding?
Do you now, or have you ever, employed a criminal lawyer on your behalf?
Have you ever been arrested for posting in Face Book?

On advice of counsel, I respectfully assert my Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination...

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2011, 03:58:40 PM »
They may be.  As a KU alum, I think Self is a good coach and don't mind him.  That being said, with the talent level they have and the expectations that go with it, MUCH higher expectations than I have at MU, there is no question that he feels the heat at times.

I stated probably 4 or 5 weeks ago that I think this KU team has some significant flaws in it.  Whether that is coaching or player skills is up for interpretation.  I would not be surprised to see them exit in the 2nd or 3rd round and I believe I made that statement before they had a loss this season.  In the games I've watched, they have a hard time shaking a number of teams that their so called ranking suggests they should shake easily.

Thats cool and all, but Im from Kansas and have understood for much longer how unbelievably stupid they can be. Bill Self has won what, 6...7 straight Big 12 championships (and were any of them difficult?)? Has dominated at a higher rate than any other KU coach ever. KU fans have been doing this crap for years, they lose a game and start calling for someone's head. They don't win the national Championship and freak out out all over the radio and blogs, etc. Fact is, Bill Self is a fantastic coach who couldnt be a better representative (and coach) for a University, basketball program and athletic department and I want to immediately punch every KU fan that complains about him after a loss (they've only had 2...though yes, they havent played anybody -  but thats been a KU secret for years).

Do KU fans have higher expectations than most every other fan base.....well yeah, they better. And so, just like every couple years KU has lost major senior leadership (Morris is no Aldrich or Collins), are not as strong of a contender...but still continuously dominate their conference and are ranked in the top 5. Will they win the national championship this year? Most likely not (like every team), but when was the last time they didnt have a legitimate chance?

Hell the biggest flaw KU has had in the past 20 years is that they dominate their conference too much that by the time they get to the tournament it has been a while since they had played anyone of that championship caliber. What a terrible predicament. So now KU actually has some legitimate competition consistently in conference, and their fans are used to it.

I dont know what you want from a coach, but if your opinion of Self is you "don't mind him," then I'll honestly take your assessments of Buzz as compliments from now on.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 04:04:14 PM by Aughnanure »
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2011, 04:10:24 PM »
Definitely not n=1 but I totally get where you are coming from.  His NCAA victory bought him a lot of his status.  A few ESPN VP's that I deal with are KU grads and they wonder if the one NCAA championship will keep the school away from winning several because they're stuck with Self.  I don't concur, but that is there feeling.  I do, however, understand their perspective, much of it set on expectations.  This year those expectations are too high by their fans in my opinion.  I don't think they're even the best team in their conference, let alone in the land.
I agree with you Chicos....I think Texas is the clear #1 in that conference this year.   I'm also a bit confused on how Selby is or is not developing and being used this year.  He was ranked the #1 or#2 player coming out of high school last year and he certainly does not look like a one and done.....granted the start of the year was delayed for him significantly.   I do think they have a shot, depending on who they draw in the tournament, to make a nice run.     But, neutral court will expose their weaknesses.  Face it, there is no place in America like the Phogg....that winning streak was incredible.

I will confess...I did my graduate work at ASU.    How that school can not develop a major presence in college hoops is beyond me.  Set one foot on campus in Tempe...open eyes and look at coeds.....does recruiting get any easier?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 07:39:04 PM »
???
Lame attempt to poke fun at those saying MU needs a quality ROAD win to get into the tourney.  We already have the quality home wins (3 of them) but that doesn't seem to be enough for many to consider us a tourney team. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2011, 10:18:29 PM »
Lame attempt to poke fun at those saying MU needs a quality ROAD win to get into the tourney.  We already have the quality home wins (3 of them) but that doesn't seem to be enough for many to consider us a tourney team. 

I would say MU still needs a quality road win, especially after tonight. 

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 10:21:23 PM »
I would say MU still needs a quality road win, especially after tonight. 
No Sh!t Sherlock