collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Who will win the NFC?

Bears
48 (34.5%)
Packers
91 (65.5%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Author Topic: Packers vs. Bears Insanity  (Read 54354 times)

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
Re: Packers vs. Bears Insanity
« Reply #250 on: January 23, 2011, 07:59:07 PM »
I think Pittsburgh defeats Green Bay

At least the bears will be watching!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #251 on: January 23, 2011, 08:05:42 PM »
At least the bears will be watching!

So basically what you're saying is beating the Bears, and losing in the Super Bowl, is ok with you?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2011, 08:16:27 PM »
So basically what you're saying is beating the Bears, and losing in the Super Bowl, is ok with you?

Yes.  2 teams make it to the Super Bowl.  If we lose to the Steelers in the Super Bowl I will not be disappointed by the season we had.  Especially when you consider that we have 9 season opener starters on the IR.  (By the way, that was a great thread..."Thanks for nothing Ted Thompson"  nomorebuycks was sure right, we really, REALLY missed out by not getting Marshawn Lynch.  With him that pushes us into the Super Bowl talk, but with absolutely no ground game and a 1 ypc average we won't win a game in the playo....wait a minute.  When does nomorebuycks's timeout end on this forum?)  Thompson has done the best job in the NFL with this roster.

As far as the Super Bowl I think the Steelers are really good and should probably be the favorite, but I wouldn't look too much into each of the team's performances this week in order to analyze what will happen in 2 weeks.  The Packers were playing the Bears, who they've seen 3 times this season.  The Packers know what the Bears do, and the Bears know what the Packers do.  They're very familiar with each other (I realize that the Super Bowl teams will be familiar with each other because they get 2 weeks to prepare, but it's one thing to study film and another thing to play each other twice).  The Packers were also on the road.

Let's keep in mind that the Packers just went on the road and beat Phili (3 seed), Atlanta (1 seed), and Chicago (2 seed) just to make it to the Super Bowl.  Was it in ugly game?  Yes.  Are the Packers still one of the hottest teams in the NFL?  Absolutely.

Again, if I had to put my money on a team this second I'd probably bet for Pittsburgh as well, but not because of the performances today.  Heck, Pittsburgh was a dropped catch at two different points from losing to Baltimore last week.  Things change from week to week.  Last week Green Bay puts up 41, this week they struggle to put up 21.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:20:45 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2011, 08:22:10 PM »
First off, if they Pack show up like they did today it will be hard.  Defense played great minus one possession, and offense couldn't quite get it going all game.  BUT, if they show up like they did vs. the Falcons it's their game to lose.  Green Bay's offense is a bit streaky, but the D is strong, especially this post season.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #254 on: January 23, 2011, 08:22:15 PM »
As someone who is a fan of a team who has lost a SB recently, (2007): to get to a SB and lose is the same as not making the playoffs.  You play the game to win.  Period.  Anything with 2007 "NFC Champs"  logo on it makes me laugh.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #255 on: January 23, 2011, 08:22:28 PM »
Agreed, if the Pack plays like they did today, and the Steelers play like they are playing right now, Steelers win, no doubt.

Bears had a lot to do with the way the Packers played today (and a couple weeks ago). After the firts quarter, that was Bears' football. That said, I expect the Steelers probably will and should be about a 4 point favorite.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #256 on: January 23, 2011, 08:22:52 PM »
Yes.  2 teams make it to the Super Bowl.  If we lose to the Steelers in the Super Bowl I will not be disappointed by the season we had.  Especially when you consider that we have 9 season opener starters on the IR.  (By the way, that was a great thread..."Thanks for nothing Ted Thompson"  nomorebuycks was sure right, we really, REALLY missed out by not getting Marshawn Lynch.  With him that pushes us into the Super Bowl talk, but with absolutely no ground game and a 1 ypc average we won't win a game in the playo....wait a minute.  When does nomorebuycks's timeout end on this forum?)  Thompson has done the best job in the NFL with this roster.

As far as the Super Bowl I think the Steelers are really good and should probably be the favorite, but I wouldn't look too much into each of the team's performances this week in order to analyze what will happen in 2 weeks.  The Packers were playing the Bears, who they've seen 3 times this season.  The Packers know what the Bears do, and the Bears know what the Packers do.  They're very familiar with each other.  The Packers were also on the road.

Let's keep in mind that the Packers just went on the road and beat Phili (3 seed), Atlanta (1 seed), and Chicago (2 seed) just to make it to the Super Bowl.  Was it in ugly game?  Yes.  Are the Packers still one of the hottest teams in the NFL?  Absolutely.

Again, if I had to put my money on a team this second I'd probably bet for Pittsburgh as well, but not because of the performances today.  And I would not be surprised at all to see Green Bay win.

Well said (seriously). I'd say, as a Bears fan, it was a great season. After losing back to back games at home to Seattle and Washington, all I could think was a top 10 draft pick. For them to host the NFC title game was nothing short of remarkable.

Agreed, Pack deserve to be playing for the Super Bowl, they played their tails off these last 5 weeks to make the playoffs and get to this point. As a Bears fan it's frustrating because the two worst Packer games in these last 5 weeks were to the Bears, but to the victor goes the spoils. They'll represent the NFC well, I think Pittsburgh beats them, but either way, it'll be a close game. No doubt they can win the Super Bowl, I just think Pittsburgh is better (especially if Smith can play).

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #257 on: January 23, 2011, 08:22:57 PM »
brian schoettenheimer is a mediocre play caller.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #258 on: January 23, 2011, 08:45:11 PM »
Well said (seriously). I'd say, as a Bears fan, it was a great season. After losing back to back games at home to Seattle and Washington, all I could think was a top 10 draft pick. For them to host the NFC title game was nothing short of remarkable.

Agreed, Pack deserve to be playing for the Super Bowl, they played their tails off these last 5 weeks to make the playoffs and get to this point. As a Bears fan it's frustrating because the two worst Packer games in these last 5 weeks were to the Bears, but to the victor goes the spoils. They'll represent the NFC well, I think Pittsburgh beats them, but either way, it'll be a close game. No doubt they can win the Super Bowl, I just think Pittsburgh is better (especially if Smith can play).

Absolutely, the Bears far exceeded their expectations going into the season.  I have a roommate from Chicago and he was never optimistic about the Bears.  I said since before the season started that Cutler could not have had a worse year than he had last year and he would be much improved.  After their 3-0 start (and then 4-0 obviously) I thought the Bears would make the playoffs, but I didn't think they'd be the #2 seed, or even the NFC North Champions.

The Packers two worst games in the five week stretch they've had were both to the Bears, but that's because the Bears always make it tough on the Packers (and vice versa).  Rarely will either of the teams blow the other team out, even if one is 12-3 and the other is 5-10.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #259 on: January 23, 2011, 08:49:16 PM »
Super Bowl XLV

Packers vs. Steelers

Dallas, TX

Sounds beautiful!!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #260 on: January 23, 2011, 08:52:25 PM »
Super Bowl XLV

Packers vs. Steelers

Dallas, TX

Sounds beautiful!!

I can't stand the Jets.  Why start shoving while the other team is taking a knee?  Classless.  They run their mouths so much and show absolutely no respect for the game.

Do feel for LT though.  He is the one class act and he deserves a championship ring.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #261 on: January 23, 2011, 08:52:41 PM »
Steelers 34-17*

* - unless the Packers are lucky enough to play against a 3rd-string QB again

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #262 on: January 23, 2011, 09:07:21 PM »
Heck of a d coordinator match up.

Dick LeBeau vs. Ernest "Dom" Capers

Mike McCarthy vs.  Bruce Arians on O.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #263 on: January 23, 2011, 09:08:11 PM »
Heck of a d coordinator match up.

Dick LeBeau vs. Ernest "Dom" Capers

Mike McCarthy vs.  Bruce Arians on O.

Can't believe this is Dom's first Super Bowl appearance.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #264 on: January 23, 2011, 09:11:41 PM »
Early line has Pack as 2 1/2 point favorites.  I feel pretty good about them being able to to hang some points on the Steelers' defense, especially on the fast field in Dallas.  If the special teams is as strong as it was today, I like Green Bay's chances.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #265 on: January 23, 2011, 09:12:55 PM »
So how does Favre inject himself into the Super Bowl run down..................?
Ludum habemus.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #266 on: January 23, 2011, 09:14:30 PM »
So how does Favre inject himself into the Super Bowl run down..................?

Doesn't need to, the national media will do it for him. Happened already for the NFC championship game.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #267 on: January 23, 2011, 09:19:26 PM »
Pack favored by 1.5

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #268 on: January 23, 2011, 09:46:26 PM »
Pack favored by 1.5

I remember the last time Green Bay was favored in a Super Bowl.....of course they don't have the human turnover machine as their QB this time around.

mugrad2006

• Team Captain
« Reply #269 on: January 23, 2011, 10:01:03 PM »
I remember the last time Green Bay was favored in a Super Bowl.....of course they don't have the human turnover machine as their QB this time around.

Not sure what you're referencing with that statement.  If you mean the '98 Super Bowl between the Packers and Broncos I think you've got your facts mixed up. Favre was co-MVP that season with Barry Sanders and still at the height of his career.  In the Super Bowl he had three TD's and only one pick.  Hardly a turnover machine.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #270 on: January 23, 2011, 10:12:38 PM »
the swiss cheese run defense of the pack was the problem against the Broncos that game.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #271 on: January 23, 2011, 10:15:17 PM »
the swiss cheese run defense of the pack was the problem against the Broncos that game.

This is correct, and as the Broncos proved in that game, and in the season that followed, their win was no upset. They were the better team.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #272 on: January 23, 2011, 10:16:38 PM »
Again, as a Bears fan, this season is a FAILURE.  We didn't get to, or win the SB.  Failure.  I really don't give a crap about "exceeding expectations" and all that other cliche bullcrap.  Failure.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #273 on: January 23, 2011, 10:18:30 PM »

You mean where Holmgren "let" the Broncos score?  What an embarrassment to football that was.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #274 on: January 23, 2011, 10:30:21 PM »
Crap, who do I cheer for?  A rapist or the Packers......