[Today at 06:05:33 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Famous Wisconsin Alumni  (Read 33796 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Famous Wisconsin Alumni
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2014, 09:35:07 AM »
I think it is incredibly sad. Depression is a very powerful mental illness. Her actions are so extreme and out of character to how she lived previously that hopefully she was able to get the help that she needed. It's just an incredibly bizarre and, at the same time, sensational story. Best of luck to her and her family.

People who actually have depression, I agree.  But so many people today use "depression" as a crutch or excuse for not wanting to deal with their own actions (or to explain the actions of others).  It's just like people who see a normal kid throw a tantrum, and they immediately chalk it up to, "oh, he can't help it... he probably has ADD."

That said, depression and bi-polar disorder are two related but different issues.  Bi-polar is when you're depressed some of the time (and on the opposite end of the spectrum at other times), depressive illness means you're chronically depressed most or all of the time (you don't have manic episodes).  What SFH did was certainly indicative of bi-polar, not depression, but as I recall, it was her brother who struggled with bi-polar disorder.  Bi-polar can be hereditary, but that doesn't mean that if you parents or siblings have it, you will too; I don't recall ever seeing that she was diagnosed with anything, and if she was, so what... not my business.

Sometimes, the explanation doesn't have to be medical.  Occam's razor would suggest that she's simply an egocentric slut; but you can't call someone a slut anymore in today's society... it's much more PC to denigrate a group of people who struggle with an illness by lumping an outlier into that circle just because we can't understand why someone would do such a thing.  There's no medical rationale at all... some people in this world are simply jerks, assh0les, or sexual deviants... the only thing that's surprising here is that anyone would be surprised that someone like this would live in Madison.

Just because someone's actions don't foot with my social mores, doesn't mean I have to find some medical excuse to explain the behavior.  Stone Cold may be right... she may simply love sleeping around, period.  So what... as long as she's not hurting me or my family, to each their own.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2014, 10:16:02 PM »

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2014, 07:14:59 PM »
People who actually have depression, I agree.  But so many people today use "depression" as a crutch or excuse for not wanting to deal with their own actions (or to explain the actions of others).  It's just like people who see a normal kid throw a tantrum, and they immediately chalk it up to, "oh, he can't help it... he probably has ADD."

That said, depression and bi-polar disorder are two related but different issues.  Bi-polar is when you're depressed some of the time (and on the opposite end of the spectrum at other times), depressive illness means you're chronically depressed most or all of the time (you don't have manic episodes).  What SFH did was certainly indicative of bi-polar, not depression, but as I recall, it was her brother who struggled with bi-polar disorder.  Bi-polar can be hereditary, but that doesn't mean that if you parents or siblings have it, you will too; I don't recall ever seeing that she was diagnosed with anything, and if she was, so what... not my business.

Sometimes, the explanation doesn't have to be medical.  Occam's razor would suggest that she's simply an egocentric slut; but you can't call someone a slut anymore in today's society... it's much more PC to denigrate a group of people who struggle with an illness by lumping an outlier into that circle just because we can't understand why someone would do such a thing.  There's no medical rationale at all... some people in this world are simply jerks, assh0les, or sexual deviants... the only thing that's surprising here is that anyone would be surprised that someone like this would live in Madison.

Just because someone's actions don't foot with my social mores, doesn't mean I have to find some medical excuse to explain the behavior.  Stone Cold may be right... she may simply love sleeping around, period.  So what... as long as she's not hurting me or my family, to each their own.

Her depression/bi-polar disorders have been well-documented dating back to the 1990s.  It was depression/bi-polar that caused her to collapse in the Olympic finals in 2000 (on the third of 4 laps she started to get passed, panicked she was going to lose the race, and collapsed to the track untouched by anyone.)The Vegas incident was two years ago.  So, it's not like she invented "depression" to explain her actions in Vegas.

But hey, if makes you feel better to look past her well documented history with mental disorder and chalk it up to some Madison inspired counter-culture deviant behavior that she never displayed before two years ago, go right ahead.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:17:11 PM by Heisenberg »

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2014, 08:21:10 PM »
Her depression/bi-polar disorders have been well-documented dating back to the 1990s.  It was depression/bi-polar that caused her to collapse in the Olympic finals in 2000 (on the third of 4 laps she started to get passed, panicked she was going to lose the race, and collapsed to the track untouched by anyone.)The Vegas incident was two years ago.  So, it's not like she invented "depression" to explain her actions in Vegas.

But hey, if makes you feel better to look past her well documented history with mental disorder and chalk it up to some Madison inspired counter-culture deviant behavior that she never displayed before two years ago, go right ahead.

You missed the point completely; nevertheless, please point me to this "well-documented" evidence she was diagnosed bi-polar (by a medical doctor).
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2014, 09:42:33 PM »
You missed the point completely; nevertheless, please point me to this "well-documented" evidence she was diagnosed bi-polar (by a medical doctor).

April 3, 2009
Former Olympian Suzy Favor Hamilton Opens Up About the Depression That Destroyed Her Athletic Career—and How She Got Her Life Back on Track
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20271041,00.html

September 28, 2008
Suzy Favor Hamilton tells of personal anguish, what really happened at 2000 Olympics
http://host.madison.com/news/suzy-favor-hamilton-tells-of-personal-anguish-what-really-happened/article_ff4ec358-fffa-5f72-9166-44cfb0520b78.html#ixzz3L5NZuDoB

Sep 08, 2010
Suzy Favor Hamilton Talks about Her Brother’s Suicide, Facing Her Own Darkness
http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/102310129.html

I realize this will not satisfy you (it was written three years before the Vegas affair) as you prefer to yell "slut" to make yourself feel better.  But in the 1990s when she was the world's top miler, and after her brother committed suicide, she admitted to suffering from a mid form of what afflicted him.  

« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 09:49:37 PM by Heisenberg »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2014, 09:52:58 PM »
Damn, she must still workout.   Anybody got that vegas number?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2014, 10:47:24 PM »
April 3, 2009
Former Olympian Suzy Favor Hamilton Opens Up About the Depression That Destroyed Her Athletic Career—and How She Got Her Life Back on Track
http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20271041,00.html

September 28, 2008
Suzy Favor Hamilton tells of personal anguish, what really happened at 2000 Olympics
http://host.madison.com/news/suzy-favor-hamilton-tells-of-personal-anguish-what-really-happened/article_ff4ec358-fffa-5f72-9166-44cfb0520b78.html#ixzz3L5NZuDoB

Sep 08, 2010
Suzy Favor Hamilton Talks about Her Brother’s Suicide, Facing Her Own Darkness
http://www.wsaw.com/home/headlines/102310129.html

I realize this will not satisfy you (it was written three years before the Vegas affair) as you prefer to yell "slut" to make yourself feel better.  But in the 1990s when she was the world's top miler, and after her brother committed suicide, she admitted to suffering from a mid form of what afflicted him.  

Again... You miss the point.  Let me be clear: the explanation doesn't have to be medical.  Sometimes there isn't an explanation.  Sometimes people do strang things simply because they want to do those things.  You don't hear people walking around talking about how all these ISIS guys must be suffering from depression or some other medical disorder.

Nevertheless, I don't see bi-polar anywhere in those articles except in reference to her brother.  Depression is not BPD  BPD is not depression.

I don't care what SFH is.  I don't care about why she did what she did.  But I care about someone very close to me who has actually been diagnosed bi-polar and how insulting it is when people ignorantly chalk up strange behavior to BPD without having the slightest clue what it is.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2020, 01:40:25 PM »
Bump
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2020, 01:49:56 PM »
Yeah, I forgot about the "let's diagnose Suzy Favor Hamilton" topic.  Another Scoop classic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2020, 02:00:08 PM »
Yeah, I forgot about the "let's diagnose Suzy Favor Hamilton" topic.  Another Scoop classic.

2014 was a wild time on Scoop. Buzz leaving, former prostitutes being couch diagnosed, the politics board. You were still sultan. Wild.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2020, 02:08:37 PM »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2020, 03:45:41 PM »

OH MY GOD!

I never realized this was the same guy!!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2020, 04:50:41 PM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2020, 06:56:04 PM »

Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2020, 08:03:36 PM »
Is pajama boy really from UW?  I always thought that was a joke.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2020, 08:22:42 PM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2020, 10:33:20 PM »
Is pajama boy really from UW?  I always thought that was a joke.

Yes, he really is.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2022, 07:55:15 AM »
BUMP - For Badger hate week.

(The photos on the the original post show up on my phone view but not my computer view!?)

And here too.
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=49691.msg782415#msg782415