[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: pre-big east play should include all d-1 state schools  (Read 7844 times)

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
pre-big east play should include all d-1 state schools
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:54:59 AM »
why aren't we playing all the d-1 state schools(round robin) plus the best d-2 or 3 whitewaters, eau claires??  it would show case the locals, raise a lot of money and create an atmosphere of competition.  rather than scheduling schools like praire view s&m or renegage nuns on wheels, we get some pretty good challenges that are easy on the travel budget.  i know, the games that can only hurt ya crowd is growing restless, but look at chaminade-every year they get a chance to knock off a big dog and they did it again this year(also remember 1982/ralph sampson).  so what.  we still get to showcase some upscale games in the one or two tourneys with road trips to sell the recruits.  then do the big east thing.  i think egos get in the way

79Warrior

• All American
Re: pre-big east play should include all d-1 state schools
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 10:05:14 AM »
why aren't we playing all the d-1 state schools(round robin) plus the best d-2 or 3 whitewaters, eau claires??  it would show case the locals, raise a lot of money and create an atmosphere of competition.  rather than scheduling schools like praire view s&m or renegage nuns on wheels, we get some pretty good challenges that are easy on the travel budget.  i know, the games that can only hurt ya crowd is growing restless, but look at chaminade-every year they get a chance to knock off a big dog and they did it again this year(also remember 1982/ralph sampson).  so what.  we still get to showcase some upscale games in the one or two tourneys with road trips to sell the recruits.  then do the big east thing.  i think egos get in the way

Who the heck cares about the state schools. do you want to build a national program or what????

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 10:08:20 AM »

You do realize that playing non-D1 schools don't count as games played by the NCAA tournament committee, right?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 10:10:07 AM »
You do realize that playing non-D1 schools don't count as games played by the NCAA tournament committee, right?
then why did we play that d3 school from minnesota?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 10:10:56 AM »

That was an exhibition game.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 10:15:06 AM »

Seeing as Broeker & Buzz have both talked about not playing exhibitions ever again and going with two scrimmages against high major D1 schools instead, I don't have a good answer for you.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:20:35 AM »
Who the heck cares about the state schools. do you want to build a national program or what????
playing a couple of credible state d-1 schools does not take away from our already nationally recognized team.  the big east, the holiday tournaments and hopefully a regular showing in the big show takes care of that.  play he d3 champ from previous year, then uw's gb, milw. and madison, umm, next up longwood??  now that's a real national powerhouse.  where the he.. is longwood?? 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:22:17 AM by wyzgy »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 10:45:32 AM »
Hands down, worst topic ever.

Marquette gains NOTHING playing the UW-Extension schools.

Marquette loses so much playing these schools. Bradley Center revenue, a home game for season ticket holders, traveling expenses, and let's not forget these teams would be gunning for us.

Dumb idea.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 11:12:49 AM »
Amazed that this idea keeps coming up. It's like theories about bigfoot or the Roswell landings: they just never go away.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 11:20:41 AM »
Some people really, really need to get out of Wisconsin a little more.

ultimate

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 11:50:06 AM »
I'm all for playing local competition and think we should have games against UW-Madison, UW-Milw, and UW-GB every year.  However, the revenue sharing must make sense for us.

A home and home against UW-GB or UW-Milw does not make sense based on our financial needs.
A round robin tournament could be fun if the contracts could be negotiated "fairly".  But, I don't think that the 4 division 1 schools in this state could ever come to an agreement on what is fair.

I'm also all for playing either Carroll College, UW-SP, MSOE, etc. in an exhibition game, but that's up to Buzz if he wants to schedule an exhibition game or not. I think that MU has done a great job of keeping the money in the family and/or state in the past few years when scheduling exhibition games.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 11:51:22 AM »
Been over this a million times.

UWGB and UW-M are in the same conference, they cannot play each other in a tournament unless it were to count as a conference game, which I doubt either side would want to do.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 12:09:27 PM »
The topic of your post reads "pre-big east play should include all d-1 state schools," and we do just that.  UW-Milwaukee, UW-Green Bay, and UW-Madison.  Playing any other team would be a terrible idea unless it was in the 1 exhibition game we play every year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 02:08:08 PM »
The topic of your post reads "pre-big east play should include all d-1 state schools," and we do just that.  UW-Milwaukee, UW-Green Bay, and UW-Madison.  Playing any other team would be a terrible idea unless it was in the 1 exhibition game we play every year.

+1

That was my thought. We are playing UW-M, UWGB, and Bucky this year. There aren't any other D1 state schools. Who cares who we play in the exhibition?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 04:01:59 PM »
MU should play in the Bradley Center!!

MU should join a major conference!

MU should play all the D-1 state schools!

...wait a minute...

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 07:57:26 AM »
Been over this a million times.

UWGB and UW-M are in the same conference, they cannot play each other in a tournament unless it were to count as a conference game, which I doubt either side would want to do.

i don't live on this board like some of you do-sorry-never seen this topic addressed.  worst topic ever allowed the master feeler to come up with the worst responses-teams gunning for us?  dude, nothing wrong with that-stand up to the challenge and beat them down.  traveling expenses??  umm-walking to the bradley center??  us season ticket holders paid for st. john's(minn.-div. iii), longwood, praire view a&m...weak effort of a response-save the brain cells. 

Mayor McCheese

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2010, 08:31:29 AM »

Well we played UW-GB... and UW-M... and will be playing Madison in a few days, I don't think we are missing any Wisconsin D1 programs to play?

Where is this question coming from? 
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/NCAA/dayone&sportCat=ncb

pure genius stuff by Bill Simmons, remember to read day 2

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 08:41:46 AM »
A tourney like this would bring in enough money for MU to start a football team!

🏀

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 09:36:57 AM »
i don't live on this board like some of you do-sorry-never seen this topic addressed.  worst topic ever allowed the master feeler to come up with the worst responses-teams gunning for us?  dude, nothing wrong with that-stand up to the challenge and beat them down.  traveling expenses??  umm-walking to the bradley center??  us season ticket holders paid for st. john's(minn.-div. iii), longwood, praire view a&m...weak effort of a response-save the brain cells. 

Since you're the brain trust. What is the best case scenario for Marquette to do this? What is the worst case scenario?

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 10:39:48 AM »
Since you're the brain trust. What is the best case scenario for Marquette to do this? What is the worst case scenario?
worst topic ever?   but since you've asked-best case scenario would be a round robbin tourney with all four.  mu and uw alternate home and home as they do.  have them play for a traveling _________ trophy.  like the paul bunyon axe as minnesota and uw football does.  my vote would be for the traveling bratwurst ;D  worst case scenario would be that uwgb and uwm talent would be similar to d-3 teams.   maybe this would provide incentive and be a recruiting tool for those two.   next up that national powerhouse...longwoody

🏀

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 11:30:40 AM »
worst topic ever?   but since you've asked-best case scenario would be a round robbin tourney with all four.  mu and uw alternate home and home as they do.  have them play for a traveling _________ trophy.  like the paul bunyon axe as minnesota and uw football does.  my vote would be for the traveling bratwurst ;D  worst case scenario would be that uwgb and uwm talent would be similar to d-3 teams.   maybe this would provide incentive and be a recruiting tool for those two.   next up that national powerhouse...longwoody

No. What is the best case scenario for Marquette with your plan?

Answer. There is no upside for Marquette to continue playing series with UWM & UWGB that include an away game. Even if it swapped from the BC to the Kohl Center, we gain nothing playing these schools.

Complain about 'longwoody', but at least Marquette is making money instead of losing like last Saturday.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 11:56:34 AM »
no, they play their respective games against uwgb and uwm at the bradley center and alternate with uw home and home as they do now.  or set up their holiday/bank classic tourney with uw, uwgb and uwm every year.  at least that way we have decent competition guaranteed for that event as opposed to the last ? years the competition has sucked and therefore the attendance has been brutal.  coordinate it with the h.s. torney held at the all over the holidays.  man, i'm just exploding with ideas here

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 12:04:15 PM »
Again there is no advantage for Marquette in your scenario.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »
no, they play their respective games against uwgb and uwm at the bradley center and alternate with uw home and home as they do now.  or set up their holiday/bank classic tourney with uw, uwgb and uwm every year.  at least that way we have decent competition guaranteed for that event as opposed to the last ? years the competition has sucked and therefore the attendance has been brutal.  coordinate it with the h.s. torney held at the all over the holidays.  man, i'm just exploding with ideas here

gb and mke cannot play non-conference games vs. each other therefor no round robin tournament would not work. your ideas are like new coke, you think they sound great but actually are brutal.
But I like to throw handfuls...

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 12:21:43 PM »
but playing longwood, st. johns(minn.), praire view s&m, s. dakota and cemetary are really gonna fill up the b.c.  guess i'll check out stub hub now before it's too late ;D