[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: pre-big east play should include all d-1 state schools  (Read 7877 times)

reinko

• All American
Re: pre-big east play should include all d-1 state schools
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 12:24:03 PM »
Just drop it everyone, he doesn't get it.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 12:25:41 PM »
but playing longwood, st. johns(minn.), praire view s&m, s. dakota and cemetary are really gonna fill up the b.c.  guess i'll check out stub hub now before it's too late ;D

you do know the st. johns (mn) coach is former player correct? so in essence you want mu NOT play a former player and to help out the uw-marathon county bc it's good for the state?
But I like to throw handfuls...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 12:26:57 PM »
but playing longwood, st. johns(minn.), praire view s&m, s. dakota and cemetary are really gonna fill up the b.c.  guess i'll check out stub hub now before it's too late ;D

But at least Marquette is making money, instead of spending by playing in Madison.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2010, 12:28:11 PM »

With home-and-homes against LSU, Vanderbilt, and Wisconsin the next few years I think our pre-season schedule is just fine.  And that isn't even counting pre-season tournaments.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2010, 12:33:19 PM »
With home-and-homes against LSU, Vanderbilt, and Wisconsin the next few years I think our pre-season schedule is just fine.  And that isn't even counting pre-season tournaments.

I think it'd be kind of fun if we go on a ongoing tour of the SEC.  I mean, it'll take 20 years at this point, and playing UK, UT, and UF is probably out, but otherwise fun.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

wyzgy

• Team Captain
  • he who laughs last, laughs...last
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2010, 01:31:03 PM »
Just drop it everyone, he doesn't get it.

dude-i didn't realize you were the board massa and everything must pass thru the all american.  BUT, the arguments seemed to center around money and what's in it for mu and we have everything to lose blah blah... listen,  if it were about money, we'd schedule higher quality teams.  if it were about padding the schedule, well..., as for the uwm's/uwgb's gunning for us, well they all gun for us. who doesn't want to beat an MU. 
i guess i didn't realize you guys have all beat this dead horse, but judging by the responses of some of you, it created some critical thinking

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2010, 01:37:18 PM »
if it were about money, we'd schedule higher quality teams

LSU, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin, ....

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 01:50:38 PM »
LSU, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin, ....
looking forward to those-thanks

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 02:09:48 PM »
looking forward to those-thanks

You do realize most other teams of that caliber won't travel to Marquette for the exact same reasons, right?  Most high level basketball teams, certainly all w/o a football team to pad their budget, need to play as many home games as possible to make sure they can continue to invest in the program.  Playing big name schools in a home-home series takes a way a home game thus Marquette earns essentially $0.

The 15,000 paid attendance (and a Win) against Bucknell every year is way better than a potential 19,000 attendance game once every two years (with a potential loss).  The decision to engage in buy games is a necessity of the current NCAA structure and Marquette's desire to remain a top flight team in terms of facilities and amenities.

Next topic please.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2010, 03:06:57 PM »
Good point MiG.

wyzgy

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2010, 03:53:41 PM »
You do realize most other teams of that caliber won't travel to Marquette for the exact same reasons, right?  Most high level basketball teams, certainly all w/o a football team to pad their budget, need to play as many home games as possible to make sure they can continue to invest in the program.  Playing big name schools in a home-home series takes a way a home game thus Marquette earns essentially $0.

The 15,000 paid attendance (and a Win) against Bucknell every year is way better than a potential 19,000 attendance game once every two years (with a potential loss).  The decision to engage in buy games is a necessity of the current NCAA structure and Marquette's desire to remain a top flight team in terms of facilities and amenities.

Next topic please.

i just couldn't let this one go.  if i would have made this comment, including the 15,000 paid attendance, you guys would have been all over me like flys on squat.  they were probably lucky to have 10,000 there sunday afternoon especially when they just had a game 2 days prior. the box score shows 13,700.  don't they share a % of the revenue from away games?

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2010, 04:00:10 PM »
i just couldn't let this one go.  if i would have made this comment, including the 15,000 paid attendance, you guys would have been all over me like flys on squat.  they were probably lucky to have 10,000 there sunday afternoon especially when they just had a game 2 days prior. the box score shows 13,700.  don't they share a % of the revenue from away games?

All the season tickets are presold and automatically count towards attendance.

And no, they don't get any money from road games.  This is my theory as to why the UWM game attendance stunk. Since this season and next season's games are "home & home" meaning each school keeps all the money from the game, MU made no effort to advertise the game.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2010, 04:08:49 PM »
Marquette and DePaul should get a round robin with the Bucks and Bulls going.  I am sure fans would care about that more than MU playing Bucknell or the Bulls playing the Kings.  You would think that is a no brainer by now.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 04:38:36 PM »

(13,700 paying tickets to play Longwood - Longwood's buy game fee) > (0 paying tickets + traveling expenses to pay a lowly extension school).

Yeah, it makes sense.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 04:51:32 PM »
Why has this discussion gone on this long?

We did or will play all of the Wisconsin d-1 state schools this year.  Discussion over.  What more could you possibly want?

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2010, 12:43:21 PM »
Why has this discussion gone on this long?

We did or will play all of the Wisconsin d-1 state schools this year.  Discussion over.  What more could you possibly want?

We should play Fox Valley Tech!!!
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2010, 03:39:29 PM »
dude-i didn't realize you were the board massa and everything must pass thru the all american.  BUT, the arguments seemed to center around money and what's in it for mu and we have everything to lose blah blah...

No, I think what he was saying is that this tournament you want to see cannot happen. UW-M and UW-GB are both in the Horizon league. If they play each other, league rules specify that it must count as a league game. Does either Milwaukee or Green Bay want to sacrifice a home game to play a league game on a neutral court like the BC or the Kohl Center? Certainly not. That's why when you see all of these non-conference tournaments to kick off the year, there is no conference duplication. Maui may get UConn or Syracuse, but not both. The CBE could have Duke or North Carolina, but only one at a time. The Old Spice Classic can have Michigan State or Wisconsin, but only one of the two. If teams from the same league face each other, it will count as a conference game.

The only exceptions are the post-season conference tournaments and the NCAA/NIT tournaments. But that's because they are post-season. Because of that, a state tournament with Marquette, Wisconsin, Milwaukee, and Green Bay cannot happen. The only way it works is if either Milwaukee or Green Bay were to leave the Horizon. Until that happens, your hope for this tournament cannot happen because it violates NCAA rules.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TheButlerDidIt

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2010, 04:11:13 PM »
We're 2-0 in the round robin tournament. One more win and we're state champs!

feedback