Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mbakwe named MVP of Puerto Rico Tourney  (Read 4962 times)

beaconwarrior

• Walk-On
Mbakwe named MVP of Puerto Rico Tourney
« on: November 21, 2010, 10:40:55 PM »
I know these threads are getting old, but why not start more banter?

Minnesota looked pretty good tonight taking down West Va. Big 10 looking very strong this year.

SacWarrior

• Team Captain
Re: Mbakwe named MVP of Puerto Rico Tourney
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 10:50:42 PM »
OK cool

DiaperDandy

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »
He is looking very good tonight against Virginia.  I have watched him play three times this season and he has gotten better each game.  He looks very strong around the basket and seems to have a bounce to his step.  Wish we could have held on to him, however, I am happy we do not have to deal/be associated with with his off court issues.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 08:20:34 PM »
Maybe my math is bad, but if still at MU wouldn't he already be gone?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

OpenLook

• Walk-On
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 08:29:50 PM »
Maybe my math is bad, but if still at MU wouldn't he already be gone?

FWIW, Mbakwe would be a senior if still on MU's roster. He was a freshman here in 2007-08.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 08:32:02 PM »
Thanks, wasn't sure and was to lazy to look.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 09:04:52 PM »
Mighty Virginia takes down the Gophers at the Barn tonight.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 11:22:50 AM »
He is looking very good tonight against Virginia.  I have watched him play three times this season and he has gotten better each game.  He looks very strong around the basket and seems to have a bounce to his step.  Wish we could have held on to him, however, I am happy we do not have to deal/be associated with with his off court issues.

I have seen him play several times this year and he is a very solid player. He has a strong inside game. boy, it would have been nice had it all worked out. He would give us that power player we really need.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 11:33:46 AM »

Theoretically, wouldn't he have not had those off-court issues had he stuck around at Marquette?

groove

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 11:36:08 AM »
Theoretically, wouldn't he have not had those off-court issues had he stuck around at Marquette?

There are no women attending Marquette?

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 11:38:51 AM »
The funny thing is, he would be at Memphis right now had Josh Pastner not screwed up during the transfer process.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 11:56:05 AM »

The charges were dropped. Also, the alleged victim and a police officer involved were being investigated for targeting Mbakwe to bolster the case. Good to see that you assume he'd assault women at MU because he was wrongly accused of doing so at a different school.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »
The charges were dropped.

No they were not dropped until he was punished.

Mbakwe will enter the pretrial intervention program -- a proposal he accepted Thursday -- instead of going to trial in late August. After Mbakwe completes 100 hours of community service and donates $100 to a Florida facility for victims of abuse.

"I wish I could have just got it dropped completely without having to do community service, but it will have to do for now."
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:13:57 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

groove

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 12:09:43 PM »
The charges were dropped.

He did one of those non-admission of guilt first-time offender pleas.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 12:48:57 PM »
No they were not dropped until he was punished.

Mbakwe will enter the pretrial intervention program -- a proposal he accepted Thursday -- instead of going to trial in late August. After Mbakwe completes 100 hours of community service and donates $100 to a Florida facility for victims of abuse.

"I wish I could have just got it dropped completely without having to do community service, but it will have to do for now."

In other words, the charges were dropped. The intervention program is not something that would be an option in a felony assault case, which means the charges would have been reduced had it gone to trial and likely means that the alleged victim didn't have much of a case against him. Given how the trial was being continuously delayed, Trevor was advised to take the deal because he just wanted to get on with his life.

Anyway, the simple point I was making in my original post on this thread was that Diaper Dandy said he was happy MU didn't have to deal with Mbakwe's off-court issues but, theoretically, these issues would not have taken place had he stayed.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 12:51:43 PM »

Anyway, the simple point I was making in my original post on this thread was that Diaper Dandy said he was happy MU didn't have to deal with Mbakwe's off-court issues but, theoretically, these issues would not have taken place had he stayed.

I agree.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:56:16 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 01:11:55 PM »
In other words, the charges were dropped. The intervention program is not something that would be an option in a felony assault case, which means the charges would have been reduced had it gone to trial and likely means that the alleged victim didn't have much of a case against him. Given how the trial was being continuously delayed, Trevor was advised to take the deal because he just wanted to get on with his life.

Factually, you have some things wrong and the rest of your comments are assumptions.

- The case will be dropped when and if he completes the requirements of the PTI program. 

- The intervention program IS something that is an option in a felony assault case.  In fact, by definition, PTI relates to felony cases.  For misdemeanors, there is the PTD (Pretrial Diversion) program.. for felonies, the program is the PTI (Pretrial Intervention). 

- The District Attorneys office said, "After lengthy defense continuances in this case -- which primarily appear to have been based around the defense's desire to depose every witness listed in the case and develop their own expert witnesses, which is their right"... the records indicate that the majority of the delays were caused by the defense.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 01:29:34 PM »
Factually, you have some things wrong and the rest of your comments are assumptions.

- The case will be dropped when and if he completes the requirements of the PTI program.  

- The intervention program IS something that is an option in a felony assault case.  In fact, by definition, PTI relates to felony cases.  For misdemeanors, there is the PTD (Pretrial Diversion) program.. for felonies, the program is the PTI (Pretrial Intervention).  

- The District Attorneys office said, "After lengthy defense continuances in this case -- which primarily appear to have been based around the defense's desire to depose every witness listed in the case and develop their own expert witnesses, which is their right"... the records indicate that the majority of the delays were caused by the defense.

- I stand corrected. I thought he had finished his program already but apparently it takes 6 months to complete.

- In the state of Florida PTIs are an option for non-violent third degree felonies. Assault is a violent crime. EDIT: Re-reading my previous post, I see the miscommunication. Saying the charges would have been reduced was a poor choice of words because it implies it would have been reduced to a misdemeanor. I should have said that he would not have been charged with assault/a violent crime.

- As I said before, the trial was delayed and, presumably, he wanted to get on with his life so he took the deal.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:35:06 PM by MerrittsMustache »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 01:59:48 PM »
- I stand corrected. I thought he had finished his program already but apparently it takes 6 months to complete.

- In the state of Florida PTIs are an option for non-violent third degree felonies. Assault is a violent crime. EDIT: Re-reading my previous post, I see the miscommunication. Saying the charges would have been reduced was a poor choice of words because it implies it would have been reduced to a misdemeanor. I should have said that he would not have been charged with assault/a violent crime.

- As I said before, the trial was delayed and, presumably, he wanted to get on with his life so he took the deal.

I appreciate the response, but I think we have one difference of understanding.  On the first bullet point, thanks.  On the third, as I said before, that is simply an assumption in your mind.

As for the second bullet comments... I disagree.  In general, the State of Florida PTI program is for non-violent third degree felonies.  However, there are exceptions to many general rules, including this one.  I'd also note that the PTI program is run by a private flippin country in Miami-Dade (as opposed to other counties where they are usually run by the sheriff)...  the result is that PTI is generally easier to get into in Miami-Dade vs. some other counties.

But... there can be PTI for some violent felonies... if the alleged victim and the prosecutor agree to it (which is what happened in this case).  These types of violent felonies include aggravated assault without a firearm.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 02:25:19 PM »
I appreciate the response, but I think we have one difference of understanding.  On the first bullet point, thanks.  On the third, as I said before, that is simply an assumption in your mind.

As for the second bullet comments... I disagree.  In general, the State of Florida PTI program is for non-violent third degree felonies.  However, there are exceptions to many general rules, including this one.  I'd also note that the PTI program is run by a private flippin country in Miami-Dade (as opposed to other counties where they are usually run by the sheriff)...  the result is that PTI is generally easier to get into in Miami-Dade vs. some other counties.

But... there can be PTI for some violent felonies... if the alleged victim and the prosecutor agree to it (which is what happened in this case).  These types of violent felonies include aggravated assault without a firearm.

Thanks for the info.

We had different thoughts on an issue but we "talked" it out and I was twice proven wrong, but admitted it. That doesn't feel right on this board. Do you want me to hurl insults at you?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 02:35:44 PM »
Thanks for the info.

We had different thoughts on an issue but we "talked" it out and I was twice proven wrong, but admitted it. That doesn't feel right on this board. Do you want me to hurl insults at you?

You're a good man.  Of course I only say that after careful consideration of your username and prior posts.  I guess overall I am glad that the Gophers can move forward with Trevor and this matter is in the past... I try not to think back to it... because... nevermind, looking forward.  Ugh... but this year there are other things going on with the team that are again "keeping things interesting" in the Twin Cities.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 04:32:28 PM »

I'd be curious if you feel the Jesuit influence of Marquette has any positive influence over individuals and their actions.

Or whether you think all the support offered to athletes at MU from the coaching staff to team chaplain to tutors has any influence?

For example, does Miami Dade JC offer anything similar to this:
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/083110aaa.html

My sense is that the original poster thought that Marquette offers a healthier environment than Miami-Dade JC, and the moral, academic, and life lessons that MU offers its athletes would likely have kept Mbakwe from getting involved in the situation he did in Florida.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 04:54:09 PM »
Knuckleheads will continue to be knuckleheads. 99.99% of the time they dont change, regardless of institution.

If you follow recruiting, you hear stories about highschool kids being knuckleheads, they become them in college, and (if good enough) they will continue their knucklehead tendencies into the pros.

Mbakwe is just another example of this.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 04:55:49 PM »
If you follow recruiting, you hear stories about highschool kids being knuckleheads, they become them in college, and (if good enough) they will continue their knucklehead tendencies into the pros.

And then the pro team hires the knucklehead's jumpsuit sporting HS coach.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
And then the pro team hires the knucklehead's jumpsuit sporting HS coach.

Which doesnt solve anything...SHOCKER!