[April 26, 2024, 10:47:48 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] Buzz on signees, recruiting  (Read 22186 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Buzz on signees, recruiting
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:45:03 AM »
Buzz on signees, recruiting

Sorry I wasn't able to get this posted sooner, but here is what coach Buzz Williams had to say about Juan Anderson and Derrick Wilson in his annual signing day news conference on Thursday.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/107489383.html

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Buzz on signees, recruiting
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:08:03 AM »
Known for his brutal honestly, I really like hearing this from him:

I think Chris Otule as a sophomore, Davante Gardner as a freshman, are probably bigger than what you think. Bigger and better.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:15:53 AM »
Interesting Buzz brought up DJ Newbill when Rosiak didn't specifically ask about him..but more the situation:

Do you like having that extra scholarship going into the spring, considering how much player turnover there is at that time of year: "Back to that, I know I probably lost some people that may have thought I was a good guy. I didn't do anything wrong on DJ, even though I couldn't say anything about that. The timing made it look like I did something wrong, but I didn't do anything wrong."

Interesting..
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:38:25 AM »
Interesting Buzz brought up DJ Newbill when Rosiak didn't specifically ask about him..but more the situation:

Do you like having that extra scholarship going into the spring, considering how much player turnover there is at that time of year: "Back to that, I know I probably lost some people that may have thought I was a good guy. I didn't do anything wrong on DJ, even though I couldn't say anything about that. The timing made it look like I did something wrong, but I didn't do anything wrong."

Interesting..

Interesting indeed. Of course some will refuse to believe that version of things, and continue to subscribe to the rumors and innuendo they like to reference here without providing any specifics or details for reasons they can't seem to articulate. They will continue to take the word of Newbill and his goofball coaches over that of Buzz even though there is nothing to warrant that position.

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 10:54:59 AM »
Interesting indeed. Of course some will refuse to believe that version of things, and continue to subscribe to the rumors and innuendo they like to reference here without providing any specifics or details for reasons they can't seem to articulate. They will continue to take the word of Newbill and his goofball coaches over that of Buzz even though there is nothing to warrant that position.

Perhaps if you had the insight of a true insider you would see Buzz Williams for the scoundrel he really is. Since you are on the wrong side of the velvet rope you cannot possibly know. I wish you could know the truth but it is too horrible to see the light of day.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:03 AM »

A knife in the back is most painful when it comes from one who professes to love you. This is, for Buzz, his first real "Et tu, Brutus" moment. Rest assured it won't be his last.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:32:31 AM by Lennys Tap »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 11:15:14 AM »

Later on in the paragraph, Buzz basically admits to dropping Newbill for basically talent alone:  "(Y)ou never want to settle and take a mid-major-plus guy, and that scholarship holds you, prevents you from taking a high-major guy four months later."

Buzz may *think* he did nothing wrong, but I disagree and hope he doesn't do it again.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 11:15:47 AM »
Perhaps if you had the insight of a true insider you would see Buzz Williams for the scoundrel he really is. Since you are on the wrong side of the velvet rope you cannot possibly know. I wish you could know the truth but it is too horrible to see the light of day.

Thanks Chicos...your insider connections are always valued...and now I know why you "squirm."
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:17:32 AM »
Thank God the season starts tonight! I'm Newbilled out.

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 11:18:50 AM »
Another DJ Newbill thread to go along with the Crean thread?

Can we talk next about the nickname fiasco, Scoop vs Scout, and MU Football too?

let me quote myself

stop it, @ssholes

There is a real MARQUETTE game tonight for the first time in seven months.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:23:04 AM by Henry Sugar »
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 11:37:06 AM »
Thanks Chicos...your insider connections are always valued...and now I know why you "squirm."

SalsaMan is being sarcastic/funny. Pretty good/accurate imitation, though.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 11:41:30 AM »

Later on in the paragraph, Buzz basically admits to dropping Newbill for basically talent alone: 

He did? I guess people will read that the way they want to. The comment is relative to keeping a scholarship open as opposed to simply taking 'a guy' to use it up. Where exactly did he say he dropped Newbill to sign Wilson? I look forward to reading that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 12:05:36 PM »
He said he did not want bigmen who clog up the middle, which is what I have been saying. Some posters do not agree with me on this, but Buzz wants a center that can be mobile enough to get out of the way. A center that can play more than 6' to 7' from the basket. You will see that type of center when Gardner gets in better shape.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 12:14:04 PM »

Yes, because we should always take the word of the coaches, politicians, leaders of the world and forget the little guy, forget what the players say.

Are you serious?  I mean really, are you being serious?  Should we take the word of Jim Calhoun...he's a coach, he says he didn't cheat and did nothing wrong?  Or is that an exception because he isn't OUR coach?

You'll forgive me but all these coaches are in it for the same thing...to make lots of $$$ and to win.  Buzz is right that he technically did nothing wrong...by the rules.  The question becomes was it the right thing to do.  Big difference.  That's what is at issue, not whether any rule was broken.  No one EVER said a rule was broken in that situation.  The question was and is whether it was the RIGHT THING TO DO

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 12:14:31 PM »

If you only knew

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 12:15:17 PM »

Buzz may *think* he did nothing wrong, but I disagree and hope he doesn't do it again.

Ding a ding a ding.   

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 12:20:36 PM »
Ding a ding a ding.   

Funny how in the Crean thread..you defend Crean till death..and make mention that the degree of hatred some have for Crean is unbelievable...YET NOW...

when there is a thread that indicts Buzz...you run rampant with the "hate," "if you only knew," "is it the right thing to "do," - and you accuse others of having an agenda.  You my friend, are a real piece of work.

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 12:29:37 PM »
This newbill bs is getting ridiculous. We got a better player and that's that. It may look bad but that is the nature of college basketball and recruiting. If we had signed newbill and found out he was only somewhat good and lost out on Wilson, the majority would be in an uproar. He's moved on. The coaches have moved on and all will be ok at the end of the day because by the looks of it we are signing better players that fit our mold to a T. So can we please move on. Itsstarting toget really old. And while I'm ranting here. Who cares what IU or Crean are doing. I could really care less. It's warrior basketball season and I couldn't be more excited about the potential of the players we have now and about the players that are coming aboard. Go warriors.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 12:30:26 PM »
....and as you rail against politicians and coaches and trusting their words, perhaps you should add internet posters in there, also.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 01:11:58 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 12:34:40 PM »
Funny how in the Crean thread..you defend Crean till death..and make mention that the degree of hatred some have for Crean is unbelievable...YET NOW...

when there is a thread that indicts Buzz...you run rampant with the "hate," "if you only knew," "is it the right thing to "do," - and you accuse others of having an agenda.  You my friend, are a real piece of work.

The "logic" he often displays leaves a lot to be desired.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 12:40:19 PM »
The Newbill situation is a catch-22. All we have to go on is Newbill's story because for Buzz to come out with his version would constitute an NCAA violation. I believe the bulk of what IWB said, that an offer was made contingent on Williams not finding a player that better suited what he was looking for. Well, that player showed up, Newbill was left on the outside, and felt jilted because he thought the contingent offer was iron-clad when that was never the case. My guess is Buzz brings it up because he still feels bad about how it played out, and hopefully he learns from the mistake of allowing Newbill to believe he was headed for Marquette. In the end, my guess is that from a PT perspective, Southern Miss will be a better fit for Newbill, and from a player perspective, Wilson is a better fit as a high-major player for Marquette than Newbill was. And hopefully, Buzz will learn from the incident and we won't see another recruitment play out like this in the future.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bobnoxious

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 12:41:12 PM »
Isn't there a game tonight or something?

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 12:41:40 PM »
Are you serious?  I mean really, are you being serious?  Should we take the word of Jim Calhoun...he's a coach, he says he didn't cheat and did nothing wrong?  Or is that an exception because he isn't OUR coach?

Yep. I am 100% serious. Buzz has been here for going on three years, and outside of the word of the supposedly harmed individuals, there is no track record or evidence of Buzz doing anything other than the right thing. He says that he didn't do anything wrong where Newbill is concerned. Why should we not take him at his word? His checkered past of consistently doing things the wrong way? A consistent pattern of lying? Or is it simply that you are believing what you want to believe? We have now heard from both sides. You are choosing to take the word of the 'wronged player' and a guy with a video camera. That's ok, but lets at least call it what it is.

Now, if you have the information on all the "stupid," questionable things that Buzz has done, then I suggest you do the right thing and put it out there. Otherwise, I suggest you shut the %$@* up and simply acknowledge that you are part of the problem. If you truly know of the things that Buzz is doing that put the program at risk, then who is really the problem, those of us who take him at his word, or those who supposedly know different, and do nothing but provide veiled references to what a scumbag Buzz is on a message board? Pathetic!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 12:46:06 PM »
You'll forgive me but all these coaches are in it for the same thing...to make lots of $$$ and to win.  Buzz is right that he technically did nothing wrong...by the rules.  The question becomes was it the right thing to do. 

You'll forgive me, but where exactly did he reference not breaking the rules?

"Back to that, I know I probably lost some people that may have thought I was a good guy. I didn't do anything wrong on DJ, even though I couldn't say anything about that. The timing made it look like I did something wrong, but I didn't do anything wrong.

Now you are even modifying what he actually says to fit your agenda.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 12:58:14 PM »
Yes, because we should always take the word of the coaches, politicians, leaders of the world and forget the little guy, forget what the players say.

You'll forgive me but all these coaches are in it for the same thing...to make lots of $$$ and to win.  Buzz is right that he technically did nothing wrong...by the rules.  The question becomes was it the right thing to do.  Big difference.  That's what is at issue, not whether any rule was broken.  No one EVER said a rule was broken in that situation.  The question was and is whether it was the RIGHT THING TO DO

I get it. We can't believe Buzz because Jim Calhoun is a liar. False syllogisms - A) Jim Calhoun is a coach, B) Jim Calhoun is a liar, C) therefore all coaches are liars - illuminate nothing but the prejudice of the person suggesting them.

feedback