[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: BJ Young, Rivals #33 - Marquette in Top 5  (Read 40416 times)

lurch91

• All American
BJ Young, Rivals #33 - Marquette in Top 5
« on: July 29, 2010, 09:57:50 AM »
Read an article in this mornings Indy Star (I'm posting this from my phone and can't link the article).  The article was about BJ Young, and how IU and Crean might possibly land this kid.  At Rivals.com BJ is listed as a PG and at #33 in the 2011 class, and his top 5 is Indiana, Arkansas, MARQUETTE, Illinois State and Baylor. 

The article also mentioned he has academic "questions", which potentially limited major college interest. 

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
Re: BJ Young, Rivals #33 - Marquette in Top 5
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:00:06 AM »
Maybe he'll go the juco route with those academic concerns  :o

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:02:25 AM »
Prep school is more likely than Juco. the advantage of prep school is you still have four years you can play. Juco leaves you with only 2.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 10:03:57 AM »
Maybe he'll go the juco route with those academic concerns  :o

we should stay far far away.  We don't want this dirtbag sullying the reputation of our university and destabilizing our basketball program. 

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 10:05:46 AM »
Prep school is more likely than Juco. the advantage of prep school is you still have four years you can play. Juco leaves you with only 2.

Which leads me to a question I've always had about prep schools... who pays for them and how much do they generally cost?  If they are paid for by some benefactor (legally), why doesn't everyone opt for the prep route vs. JUCO to keep those two years of eligibility?

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 10:16:37 AM »
Which leads me to a question I've always had about prep schools... who pays for them and how much do they generally cost?  If they are paid for by some benefactor (legally), why doesn't everyone opt for the prep route vs. JUCO to keep those two years of eligibility?

Ive wondered the same thing. Some of the popular prep schools cost as much as 30k per year. Obviously, most recruits cant afford that. Regardless, I think its a regional thing as the vast majority of the country's prep schools (boarding schools) are in the northeast and service northeast kids.

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »
In terms of who pays for a players tuition, there really isnt an exact answer as it depends on the conference the school plays in. I believe some of the catholic prep schools here in the northeast have 'sponsors' (deep pocket alums) that actually cover a kid's tuition. Other schools base it all on financial aid and availability of funds. If a school wants to win at any cost, they will find the money to bring in a player or two or three. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 10:41:41 AM »
Read an article in this mornings Indy Star (I'm posting this from my phone and can't link the article).  The article was about BJ Young, and how IU and Crean might possibly land this kid.  At Rivals.com BJ is listed as a PG and at #33 in the 2011 class, and his top 5 is Indiana, Arkansas, MARQUETTE, Illinois State and Baylor. 

The article also mentioned he has academic "questions", which potentially limited major college interest. 
How could IU and Tom Crean considering taking such a risk and signing an academic risk??  I hope IU maintains its tradition of signing quality kids with good character and intelligence as it did under Bobby Knight.  I do not want IU to become known as a university similar to Marquette that takes chances on high-risk kids such as Young or JUCO's or Dwayne Wade-types.

Okay..I'll get off my high-horse and pompous rant.  Yes, this message was written with full on sarcasm thanks to our resident posting champion..Mr. ChicosBailbonds himself.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 10:44:36 AM »
we should stay far far away.  We don't want this dirtbag sullying the reputation of our university and destabilizing our basketball program. 

But, but... he would be a four year player.  Isn't that a stabilizing product?
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 10:50:41 AM »

Which is ideal for everyone.

Get the kid for 4 years instead of 2 years and let him work on his grades.

For some reason people here don't get that.

We would rather have a guy for years rather than....right?  Less turnover, more stability, etc

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 10:57:01 AM »
  Not disagreeing with you, but, what is in his past that makes you feel that he is a poor fit for MU?  Just looking for info.  Thanks.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 11:01:44 AM »
It's sarcasm because we know MU's foundation is about to crumble what with  unstable 3 and 2 year JUCOs on our roster(who are probably thugs and will bring bad press, according to Chicos' life perspective bias).  

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 11:15:29 AM »
How could IU and Tom Crean considering taking such a risk and signing an academic risk??  I hope IU maintains its tradition of signing quality kids with good character and intelligence as it did under Bobby Knight.  I do not want IU to become known as a university similar to Marquette that takes chances on high-risk kids such as Young or JUCO's or Dwayne Wade-types.

I wouldn't worry about IU. If the kid's any good, he won't be going there anyway.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 11:20:17 AM »
Crean may be hoping desperately to get a BJ.
Some here may really like and hope to get a BJ.
Others think we should have to wait a while for a BJ.
Some may think getting a BJ could sully a reputation.
Personally, I'd really be excited to land a BJ.
If availability of a BJ is in 2011, or a year after--- thats really too long to wait, and no one can rate a BJ accurately that is a still a year off.

.......Oh wait.....

I just realized something....

This board and this thread are for discussions about basketball.

A "BJ" has nothing to do with basketball.
Never mind......

I need to go downstairs and see if my wife is interested in a BJ--bye.

lol

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 11:20:24 AM »

And if he can't hack it and bombs out, how does he benefit from that? How does that promote stability? I know watching Dameon Mason play PG in the 2004 NIT just screamed stability.

Some people don't seem to get that JC can be a very positive option for the player, as well as the D1 school that may eventually ends up with that kid. Is Jimmy Butler's MU degree going to be any less valuable because he attanded a JC? Of course not. Maybe just the opposite.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 11:50:16 AM »
If availability of a BJ is in 2011, or a year after--- thats really too long to wait, and no one can rate a BJ accurately that is a still a year off.

.......Oh wait.....

Never mind......

lol

Wow.   :o   

Good luck with that.   ;D

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 12:02:59 PM »
My daughter graduated from HS, but was not ready (for a variety of reasons)for 4 year college.  She went to a 2 year college, is now an outstanding addition to MU's Class of 2012. 

My point is:  there are many reasons why a kid would go JUCO.  If Buzz is finding good kids, who are a credit to MU (all indications point that way), who cares.  I would prefer that we get the best 4 year players (My preference was that my daughter would be at MU for 4 years), but I really don't care.  It has all worked out.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 12:42:40 PM »
Agreed, mu-rara.

If the kid comes from a JUCO, prep school, HS, university, foreign country...as long as he's got a good head on his shoulders, can ball well, and is dedicated to the Blue and Gold...

good for him and the MU program.
SS Marquette

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 01:27:23 PM »

Okay..I'll get off my high-horse and pompous rant.  Yes, this message was written with full on sarcasm thanks to our resident posting champion..Mr. ChicosBailbonds himself.

Indiana's last national championship was won on the backs of two Juco transfers in the starting lineup..including the game winning shot by a Juco..keith Smart

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 01:29:49 PM »

.......Oh wait.....

Never mind......

lol

My favorite part about this post was the "lol" inserted at the end. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 01:33:14 PM »
My daughter graduated from HS, but was not ready (for a variety of reasons)for 4 year college.  She went to a 2 year college, is now an outstanding addition to MU's Class of 2012. 

My point is:  there are many reasons why a kid would go JUCO.  If Buzz is finding good kids, who are a credit to MU (all indications point that way), who cares.  I would prefer that we get the best 4 year players (My preference was that my daughter would be at MU for 4 years), but I really don't care.  It has all worked out.

I agree with this 100%.

And deep down, Chico's, you know you do too.

I know you are fearful of MU turning into some sort of JUCO basketball factory... but let's just put a qualifier on this whole argument and be done with it:

Buzz Williams needs to recruit great basketball players who are good people. They don't have to be perfect athletically or academically, but they have to be good representatives of MU from the moment they sign up.

It doesn't matter where they come from, if they can be great at basketball, good students and good people, they are a fine addition to MU and we are proud to have them.

That's it. It's not more complicated than that. Everybody needs to get out of the minutia and look at the big picture.

JUCO. Venezuela. Senegal. Israel. Chicago. Wauwatosa. Does. Not. Matter. At. All.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 02:07:14 PM »
I don't think you get it, yet insist people like I don't.  I'd love all players to be here for four years, but I also love having players like DJO and JB.  I think Buzz was right to take them.  Does your rule apply to transfers as well.  We didn't have Robert Jackson long, but it worked out alright.  How about players who are likely with us for one or two years and then to the NBA?  You mention all the big time schools recruiting four year players, yet they see many leave early.  They have the mentality to get the best players they can, and if they leave they leave.  Sounds similar to what Buzz is doing in many ways.

For some reason people here don't get that.

We would rather have a guy for years rather than....right?  Less turnover, more stability, etc

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 02:14:02 PM »
I'm figuring houwarrior has a better chance of that happening with his girlfriend than with his wife. Right ZFB?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »
I'm figuring houwarrior has a better chance of that happening with his girlfriend than with his wife. Right ZFB?

Studies have proven that, in most cases, you are more likely to get a BJ from a girlfriend than a wife.  In most cases.  ;)

augoman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 03:25:22 PM »
further, reality is that the best way to ruin the girlfriend/bj scenario..., is to make her your wife.