'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big Ten Expansion Could Cure Cancer  (Read 4826 times)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
Big Ten Expansion Could Cure Cancer
« on: May 19, 2010, 03:42:35 PM »
... at least according to Ohio State Athletic Director Gene Smith.

I think Big Ten arrogance just reached a new level.

Smith envisions Big Ten schools uniting to "do some things for our country and our world. … Just imagine schools with cancer centers collaborating to ultimately find a cure."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0519-bits-big-ten-meetings--20100518,0,5447382.story

GOO

• All American
Re: Big Ten Expansion Could Cure Cancer
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 04:29:22 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0519-bits-big-ten-meetings--20100518,0,5447382.story

What a radical idea: Collaborate , let me repeat Collaborate , Collaborate ... it could be a hit song; I wonder where he got that idea or schools collaborating on medical issues and scientific research.  If they are not doing that now, that is really sad.  Instead let's have our taxes reinventing the wheel at multiple schools.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 04:35:29 PM »
Big Ten expansion could keep Trevor Mbakwe at a school for more than 1 year.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 05:04:25 PM »
Big Ten expansion could keep Trevor Mbakwe at a school for more than 1 year.

Everybody underrates Mbakwe.  Even a 16 team Big Ten won't be able to contain him.  Can you still go to prep school after going to JC and a couple of universities?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 05:09:21 PM »

[Smith envisions Big Ten schools uniting to "do some things for our country and our world. … Just imagine schools with cancer centers collaborating to ultimately find a cure."]

I thought they were doing this already through the use of peer reviewing research.  In addition, certain research results must be duplicated elsewhere so this fragmentation of research institutions is actually not a bad idea.  Furthermore, Big Pharma actually gets a lot of their research subsidized through the NHS and other government institutions that hand out grants to PHD programs in order to do research.  Furthermore, those pharma companies use PHD researchers/professors at the top notch institutions as consultants(see northwestern for example) too.

His comment are very arrogant since he doesn't understand the nature of PHD programs and the need for independence among institutions for Grad students doing research so they can earn their PHD in the future.  Furthermore, these institutions can collaborate with something known as the internet and telephone.  Adding one more institution won't change anything.

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 09:29:21 PM »
I feel a theme for a thread coming on ...

Big Ten expansion could end the threat of Islamic extremism ...

Big Ten expansion could halt global warming ...

Big Ten expansion could resolve Marquette's Dean issue ...

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 09:43:11 PM »
Big Ten Expansion will eliminate threads about Tom Crean on MUScoop.
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 10:16:09 PM »
Big Ten Expansion will eliminate threads about Tom Crean on MUScoop.

hahaha, that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the previous post.  If that is what it takes, I'm all for it.

crosscheck

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 12:48:19 AM »
Why do they need to be in the same conference to collaborate? Shouldn't big ten schools already be working with Havard, Yale, Texas, and whatever other schools out there are doing research in similar fields.

What a load of bullcrap

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 06:08:45 AM »
What a radical idea: Collaborate , let me repeat Collaborate , Collaborate ... it could be a hit song;

Thank you for putting this guy's song in my head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxN_pbMOFk0

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 06:58:11 AM »
I thought they were doing this already through the use of peer reviewing research.  In addition, certain research results must be duplicated elsewhere so this fragmentation of research institutions is actually not a bad idea.  Furthermore, Big Pharma actually gets a lot of their research subsidized through the NHS and other government institutions that hand out grants to PHD programs in order to do research.  Furthermore, those pharma companies use PHD researchers/professors at the top notch institutions as consultants(see northwestern for example) too.

His comment are very arrogant since he doesn't understand the nature of PHD programs and the need for independence among institutions for Grad students doing research so they can earn their PHD in the future.  Furthermore, these institutions can collaborate with something known as the internet and telephone.  Adding one more institution won't change anything.

A high ranking Ohio State official "doesn't understand the nature of PHD programs?"

Please...

TJ

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 07:37:07 AM »

A high ranking Ohio State official "doesn't understand the nature of PHD programs?"

Please...
you're joking, right?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 07:43:43 AM »
No.  Why would I be joking?  The guy's worked in higher ed since he graduated college.  His wife has a doctorate. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 08:16:49 AM »
No.  Why would I be joking?  The guy's worked in higher ed since he graduated college.  His wife has a doctorate. 

Is it too much of a stretch to believe his wife probably knows a lot more than he does?  Heck, my wife has one more graduate degree than I do, and apparently, I'm never right about anything.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 08:21:15 AM »

Perhaps you were unaware of the formal academic/research relationship between the Big Ten schools along with the University of Chicago:

http://www.cic.net/Home.aspx

I think MU fans protest too much about this--the Big Ten schools have long collaborated on research and academics. Criticizing them for such efforts seems to be arrogance (or ignorance) on our part--not theirs.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 08:31:36 AM »
So as the AD for a university one must necessarily have an understanding of how every department at that university operates?

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 08:36:34 AM »
OSU's AD arrogant?  He is an ND grad.  Explanation enough?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 08:39:51 AM »
So as the AD for a university one must necessarily have an understanding of how every department at that university operates?

<sigh>  Of course not....stop overreaching.  However, I think it's clear that he "understands the nature of PhD programs."

thatman32

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 08:41:59 AM »

Perhaps you were unaware of the formal academic/research relationship between the Big Ten schools along with the University of Chicago:

http://www.cic.net/Home.aspx

I think MU fans protest too much about this--the Big Ten schools have long collaborated on research and academics. Criticizing them for such efforts seems to be arrogance (or ignorance) on our part--not theirs.

Thanks for finding that website.  Once again that disproves the idea, again, that these institutions don't collaborate and that being in the same conference breeds collaboration.  The quote by the OS AD pretty much stating that the big ten will unite and cure cancer(like captain planet) may be seen as arrogant but you can also view it as totally laughable.  Conference affiliation should be not highly correlated with collaboration.  The ohio state AD makes it seem like the two are high correlated when they are not.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 09:00:50 AM »

<sigh>  Of course not....stop overreaching.  However, I think it's clear that he "understands the nature of PhD programs."
How?  By running an Athletic department?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 09:09:29 AM »
How?  By running an Athletic department?

*I* understand the nature of PhD programs and I don't work on the academic side of the university.  It's not like it's some super-secret ritual that is only shared with those who have doctoral degrees.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 09:14:45 AM »

*I* understand the nature of PhD programs and I don't work on the academic side of the university.  It's not like it's some super-secret ritual that is only shared with those who have doctoral degrees.
Ah.  So you think it's common knowledge, rather than something he knows because of his position as a high ranking university official.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 09:28:08 AM »
Ah.  So you think it's common knowledge, rather than something he knows because of his position as a high ranking university official.

I am a high ranking university official

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 09:30:25 AM »
Could we rename this thread "The Nature of PhD Programs in America and Who Should Understand Them."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 09:32:44 AM »

I am a high ranking university official
well then I am at a loss.   :)

I just don't see why being AD means that he must know how the academic side of the university works.  Maybe he does; I just don't think we can tell that from his job title.

feedback