Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Big Ten Expansion Could Cure Cancer  (Read 4825 times)

RawdogDX

• All American
Re: Big Ten Expansion Could Cure Cancer
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 10:03:55 AM »
Can someone explain the nature of PHD programs so that I can decide if I understand them?

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 10:57:47 AM »
I think MU fans protest too much about this--the Big Ten schools have long collaborated on research and academics. Criticizing them for such efforts seems to be arrogance (or ignorance) on our part--not theirs.

But the AD is saying that it's not about money.  Can you make anymore of a BS statement than that?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 11:38:37 AM »
If the schools wanted to collaborate on research right now, nothing is stopping them.  They don't need a football conference championship game and more BTN subscribers to do this.  Anyone who says conference expansion is about anything other than money is lying.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 11:45:16 AM »
If the schools wanted to collaborate on research right now, nothing is stopping them.  They don't need a football conference championship game and more BTN subscribers to do this.  Anyone who says conference expansion is about anything other than money is lying.

No one is saying it isn't about the money....but the research money that an expanded Committee on Institutional Cooperation(aka academic Big 10) would bring in dwarfs the money the BTN would bring in.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 12:28:25 PM »
Can someone explain the nature of PHD programs so that I can decide if I understand them?

I agree, I have a JD, MBA, and am working on my LLM, and I dont understand how adding another member school is going to increase research dollars to the other Big Televen schools. The quote, on its' face, from this slappy, is either arrogant, or stupid.

To me, it's mostly about adding market share to increase the TV deal.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 04:47:50 PM »
Big Ten Expansion will eliminate threads about Tom Crean on MUScoop.

I am EXTREMELY disappointed that you did not make your post in teal.  Did you ever stop to think that someone who was naive enough to think that eliminating such threads was possible would for a moment at least think that you were serious?  Did you take any time to think through the potential devastation that they would experience when they did realize that you were making a joke, and that there was no real possibility for this pipe dream coming true?  PLEASE THINK before you post the next time, and avoid playing Russian roulette with the mental well being of your fellow posters!!!
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.