'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Buzz in LA Monday  (Read 18788 times)

esotericmindguy

• All American
Re: Buzz in LA Monday
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2010, 02:42:40 PM »
So basically the 3 "important" recruits are coming to MU, that's good....I also would be surprised to see Smith not come do to the lack of PGs on the team.  I know Blue may develop into one at some point but opportunity for minutes is there.

Also, Gardner's coach say he's waiting on test scores? I guess that means he didn't qualify....

muole

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 02:50:42 PM »
i was at the event and I got the impression that it wasn't NECESSARILY one of the incoming recruits that wouldn't be on the team in the fall.  He seemed to intimate that one or more players on the current roster wouldn't be on the roster come midnight madness.  that could include players that were on the team last year.

it's all speculation at this point.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2010, 03:19:01 PM »
Well, that certainly changes the complexion of things. At this stage, I'd rather lose an Mbao than another incoming recruit. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2010, 03:29:30 PM »
Anyone been checking EWill's Twitter or Facebook?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 04:09:42 PM »
Anyone been checking EWill's Twitter or Facebook?

He said something about you leaving him alone, he's no homo.

Doris Burkes Thong

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 04:31:43 PM »
Erik Williams' latest facebook status: **Declaring for NBA draft and will sign Tim Maymon as my agent***
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 04:33:15 PM by Doris Burkes Thong »

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 06:13:03 PM »
He said something about you leaving him alone, he's no homo.

haha classic. well played

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 07:10:06 PM »
He addressed the Big 10 issue. If Rutgers go, who cares. If Rutgers and a few opthes go it will have a negative impact on MU. The BE has been very good financially to MU. There are so many scenarios it is hard to quantify until it happens.

Buzz is clearly an idiot...what is his phone number so MUHOOPS1 can call him and tell him how devastating the loss of Rutgers will be.

The issue isn't so much the loss of Rutgers...it is whether or not Big Ten expansion leads to some sort of consolidation that leaves the BE oon the fringes of major college athletics.  IOW, MU may not have to settle for a mid-major type conference...but the BE may become one if it can't generate enough revenue.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 07:12:35 PM »
Oh and can we please stop the "we won't miss Rutgers because they suck as basketball" type talk?

That's not the point.  The point is the markets...and Rutgers is a large, public university smack dab in the middle of a very large television market.  The BE will miss Rutgers regardless of how good they are at basketball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 07:59:04 PM »
Oh and can we please stop the "we won't miss Rutgers because they suck as basketball" type talk?

That's not the point.  The point is the markets...and Rutgers is a large, public university smack dab in the middle of a very large television market.  The BE will miss Rutgers regardless of how good they are at basketball.

Rutgers football program would be a blow to the conference if they left. That would leave the oter football schools in a quandry. And Maryland will never come to the BE, whoever started that nonsense.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 08:03:07 PM »

I fogot to mention that USC will not be on the schedule this season. It could not be worked out. Buzz said maybe 2011-12 season.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 08:13:15 PM »
I fogot to mention that USC will not be on the schedule this season. It could not be worked out. Buzz said maybe 2011-12 season.

If true...damn.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 08:45:50 PM »
...and Rutgers is a large, public university smack dab in the middle of a very large television market.  The BE will miss Rutgers regardless of how good they are at basketball.

Here's my curiosity .. what are the current ratings for a typical Rutgers BBall or Football game? 

There's all this talk about markets for various teams, but in the end, it all has to do with how many eyeballs are watching the TV when the team is on.   DePaul is in Chicago, the 3rd biggest market in the country.  A DePaul game doesn't deliver 3.5 million TV sets.  Maybe 3.5 thousand.

Just curious.  Maybe people in the greater Rutgers area think watching their games is the cats' meow.  I'm guessing not.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2010, 09:20:19 PM »
Here's my curiosity .. what are the current ratings for a typical Rutgers BBall or Football game? 

There's all this talk about markets for various teams, but in the end, it all has to do with how many eyeballs are watching the TV when the team is on.   DePaul is in Chicago, the 3rd biggest market in the country.  A DePaul game doesn't deliver 3.5 million TV sets.  Maybe 3.5 thousand.

Just curious.  Maybe people in the greater Rutgers area think watching their games is the cats' meow.  I'm guessing not.

it's not the ratings for cable and the ad revenue that the shows bring in, it's the monthly fee per subscriber that they charge that makes their money.  therefore, it doesn't matter how many people are watching a UW/Iowa men's volleyball game, the BTN is still making $$.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »
it's not the ratings for cable and the ad revenue that the shows bring in, it's the monthly fee per subscriber that they charge that makes their money.  therefore, it doesn't matter how many people are watching a UW/Iowa men's volleyball game, the BTN is still making $$.

Correct.  And my guess is that they will not be able to charge the cable companies the same rate in New Jersey as in the midwest, but since the variable cost of adding programming in new markets is darn close to zero, the conference will likely still make more money per school.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2010, 10:44:19 PM »
And Maryland will never come to the BE, whoever started that nonsense.

Hmm, I wonder who started that nonsense.........oh, nevermind.  Hayward being Hayward.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2010, 01:06:39 AM »

That is correct.  The advertising model, though still strong, is not the driver here anymore.  It's the guaranteed revenues from subscription fees that the networks make most of the money on now.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
Can't remember where I read it
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2010, 05:47:40 AM »
But the BTN gets 88 cents per cable/dish subscriber in the Midwest, and 6 cents in not Big Ten markets. If you Bump up New Jersey/New York to 88cents, thats a boatload of cash.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2010, 06:33:33 AM »
I think 4ever has a point - what is known about EWill's state of mind? He didn't get minutes, and didn't exactly shine when he did. It could be tough for a top 100 prospect to deal with. Is he a worker? Or might he be thinking things might be better elsewhere?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: Can't remember where I read it
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2010, 08:16:29 AM »
But the BTN gets 88 cents per cable/dish subscriber in the Midwest, and 6 cents in not Big Ten markets. If you Bump up New Jersey/New York to 88cents, thats a boatload of cash.
The Dolans and Cablevision will just pay that amount.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2010, 11:46:32 AM »

Albeit its small, but the thought that some 60 year old woman retiree from California living in Hawaii pays $0.72 a year to the Big Ten each year is almost comical.  I know Chicos says a la carte will be bad for many people but it just doesn't seem right to me (not just channels like BTN).  However, I don't think its right the people who could give a S^^^ about sports have to pay for it.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2010, 12:18:05 PM »

Assuming cable/dish providers choose to include the BTN in those markets, which is no sure thing.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2010, 12:29:00 PM »
The Big Ten also had to wage a massive public relations campaign urging people to call their cable companies to demand the BTN.  That worked in the midwest because a large enough percentage of people are interested in their local state school.  I'm not sure they would have the same result in NY/NJ.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2010, 12:30:41 PM »

Curious where you got those numbers?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2010, 12:44:56 PM »
Curious where you got those numbers?

Even if assuming the numbers are correct, doubt that the Big11 Network woul get anywhere near the larger number....?

feedback