[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Recent Books you have enjoyed  (Read 70412 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Recent Books you have enjoyed
« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2022, 02:40:40 PM »
Thought “Sooley” was good, not great.

Currently reading “Lincoln Highway” by Amor Towles (“The Gentleman From Moscow”). Great story, and this guy can REALLY write.

Notwithstanding the Marquette reference, Sooley was a complete piece of garbage with a pitiful and lazy ending.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2022, 08:16:41 PM »
Just finished “Showtime” by Jeff Pearlman. About the Lakers from the drafting of Magic through his testing HIV-positive. Some great anecdotes about Jim Chones, Maurice Lucas and Tony Smith.

Hands down the most entertaining parts of the book are about Wes Matthews, Sr.

I play golf with Wes at least once a week from April through October. Never knew that he coined the phrase “Three-peat.” Not only that but there is a story in the book about a rookie who was rather eccentric. According to the author Wes is quotes as saying the rookie wasn’t 100% there. The quote is “There is an old adage in Los Angeles: when Wes Matthews says you’re not playing with a full deck, you’ve got problems.”

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2022, 09:00:53 PM »
Notwithstanding the Marquette reference, Sooley was a complete piece of garbage with a pitiful and lazy ending.

Concur.  I didn't like it very much either.  Very poor.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2022, 09:39:04 PM »
If you want Marquette references, I recommend the following Steve Rushin books:

Pint Man
Sting Ray Afternoons
Have some patience, FFS.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #229 on: January 21, 2022, 03:53:09 PM »
It's a few years old but Evicted by Matthew Desmond was incredible work, in my opinion.

Land of Big Numbers by Te-Ping Chen is the most recent book that I finished. Thought it was good, not great.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #230 on: March 06, 2022, 10:25:55 AM »
Enjoyed Jonathan Franzen's Crossroads. He doesn't hit on 100%, but most of the character development is excellent.

Next three in some order will be The Lincoln Highway, Ravensbruck, and Empire of Pain. I've heard many great things about all of them so fingers crossed.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2022, 10:33:05 AM »
For those who enjoy reading history, I suggest The Hidden White House by Robert Klara. From early in 1949 to March of 1952, the White House was rebuilt due to very serious structural problems. This was a total gut job as evidenced in the attached story. The White House was turned into a massive cavern.

Over many years, cutout portions of beams to allow for plumbing, gas lighting, electrical, telegraph, heating, air conditioning (FDR Administration) etc. left the floors not only creaking ominously but also resulted in the second floor dropping down 12"-15" in two areas. The reuse of some charred beams salvaged from the 1814 burning of the WH when it was rebuilt did not help matters, nor did the reckless weakening or elimination of load bearing walls ordered by presidents. A team of highly respected architects and structural engineers avoided the word "condemned" but that was essentially their verdict. The Truman family moved out of the living quarters that had become a forest of steel poles supporting the ceiling. The threat of a total collapse of the interior of the WH was very real.

The WH today is a steel and concrete structure coated with interior materials to make it look old. Very little of the original woodwork, plaster castings, flooring, mantels etc. made it back into the WH. At least it survived the calls for bulldozing it. The Washington Post ran an opinion piece supporting that idea.

Klara's meticulous research added an undeniable authenticity to the book. His portrayal of the Truman family and all the people involved in the project was outstanding and was a much-appreciated bonus. I felt like I knew them personally.

He added humor to an otherwise tragic story. When the chandelier in the East Room swayed during a tea for the Daughters of the Revolution, Truman was right above them soaking in a bathtub while reading a book. His wife told him she was worried that the ceiling/floor would collapse. He laughed and imagined falling through the floor with the tub "allowing him to salute the DAR, wearing nothing more than his reading glasses." 

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2016/05/09/very...   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #232 on: August 11, 2022, 12:16:50 PM »
After watching Dune earlier this year, I tried the books. The first one was good, but it is a very sharp, rapid decline downhill after that.

Also read Cultish recently by Amanda Montell. Can't recommend it highly enough. Does a good job of looking at a wide range of cultish organizations, from Scientology to MLMs to Crossfit. I have to imagine anyone in today's society has probably had close encounters with one cult or another, sometimes without even realizing it. Well worth the time.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #233 on: August 11, 2022, 12:57:39 PM »
. I have to imagine anyone in today's society has probably had close encounters with one cult or another, sometimes without even realizing it. Well worth the time.

Scoop is my favorite cult.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #234 on: August 11, 2022, 05:20:08 PM »
I just finished North Korea Confidential, which is a look at the modernization of North Korea and life there. One interesting aspect was that post famine, the state relaxed cracking down on the "black market" and actually allows people to sell products openly now. North Koreans can more easily access the outside world (particularly media) thanks to smuggled USB sticks.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #235 on: August 11, 2022, 06:32:41 PM »
Enjoyed Jonathan Franzen's Crossroads. He doesn't hit on 100%, but most of the character development is excellent.

Next three in some order will be The Lincoln Highway, Ravensbruck, and Empire of Pain. I've heard many great things about all of them so fingers crossed.

I think you’ll love The Lincoln Highway - beautifully written coming of age story.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #236 on: August 12, 2022, 09:27:44 AM »

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #237 on: August 13, 2022, 08:56:50 AM »
I'm reading a novel by Elif Shafak called the Island of Missing Trees.  I have read a few of her political articles in the past. She's a very well know activist, especially with regards to women's rights and human rights in general.  I never realized she was such an accomplished and prolific novelist.  Anyway. she's a wonderful storyteller and it's worth reading imo.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #238 on: August 13, 2022, 10:09:52 AM »
Cloud Cuckoo Land is a masterpiece. About as good as modern literature gets, in my opinion, this side of Franzen.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #239 on: September 23, 2022, 12:29:21 PM »
Reading Bob Oden Kirk's memoir "Comedy Comedy Comedy Drama".

FTR he spends exactly 2 sentences talking about his time at Marquette.
Have some patience, FFS.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #240 on: September 23, 2022, 02:22:51 PM »
Cloud Cuckoo Land is a masterpiece. About as good as modern literature gets, in my opinion, this side of Franzen.

I will eventually get to this one.  Ty.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #241 on: October 29, 2022, 05:16:37 PM »
I'm trying to read Gravity's Rainbow again.  It's an enormous challenge. I think it's the kind of work you have to read at least three times which takes discipline I don't have.  Has anyone gotten through it and is there a method to reading this without expert tutelage?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #242 on: October 29, 2022, 05:24:39 PM »
Just finished Thank You for Your Servitude by Mark Leibovich.

Lots of stuff in it made me laugh, but overall it was pretty depressing.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #243 on: January 01, 2023, 12:06:11 PM »

I just started this one Bbj.  Thanks for the recommendation. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #244 on: January 01, 2023, 11:06:09 PM »
I just started this one Bbj.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Just finished it. Doerr can be overly descriptive at times but I thought it was fantastic.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #245 on: January 02, 2023, 08:56:16 AM »
Just finished it. Doerr can be overly descriptive at times but I thought it was fantastic.

There's a lot going on introducing this story but it's a really interesting premise.  Hopefully it comes together, I generally don't read this genre. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #246 on: January 13, 2023, 03:58:25 PM »
There's a lot going on introducing this story but it's a really interesting premise.  Hopefully it comes together, I generally don't read this genre.

How'd you like it?

In Love by Amy Bloom is a tough read but one I'd definitely recommend. Also read All This Could Be Different by Sarah Thankam Mathews. I enjoyed it, but was hoping for a bit more given that it was a National Book Award winner. Milwaukee being the setting certainly made it more entertaining.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #247 on: January 13, 2023, 05:00:47 PM »
How'd you like it?

In Love by Amy Bloom is a tough read but one I'd definitely recommend. Also read All This Could Be Different by Sarah Thankam Mathews. I enjoyed it, but was hoping for a bit more given that it was a National Book Award winner. Milwaukee being the setting certainly made it more entertaining.

I thought it was an outstanding book.  About 1/3 of the way through I wasn't so sure, but somehow he was able to weave the entire story together.  My initial thought was that the Anna/Omeir section was slow and superfluous but the plot development was crucial to the essence of the work.  It was also nice to read a great book with such a positive overall message and a timeless message at that.  The skill to pull this whole off, once you realize these particular "time-periods", cannot be understated.  Masterclass is not hyperbole when describing this novel and author.  Thanks so much for the recommendation. 
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 05:04:56 PM by MuggsyB »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #248 on: February 16, 2023, 11:54:10 PM »
I thought it was an outstanding book.  About 1/3 of the way through I wasn't so sure, but somehow he was able to weave the entire story together.  My initial thought was that the Anna/Omeir section was slow and superfluous but the plot development was crucial to the essence of the work.  It was also nice to read a great book with such a positive overall message and a timeless message at that.  The skill to pull this whole off, once you realize these particular "time-periods", cannot be understated.  Masterclass is not hyperbole when describing this novel and author.  Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Glad you liked it!

I’m starting Doerr’s “All the Light We Cannot See” now. CCL was my introduction to his work and I’m excited to read another one of his books.

I haven’t read it yet, but based on your posting history “An Immense World” by Ed Yong looks right up your alley.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #249 on: February 16, 2023, 11:54:30 PM »
I’ve read a lot of books this year that I’ve truly loved. Either I’m in the midst of strong stretch or I’m getting softer as I age.

Would strongly recommend Gabrielle Zevin’s “Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow”, Emily St. John Mandel’s “ Sea of Tranquility”, and “They Can’t Kill Us Until They Kill Us” by Hanif Abdurraqib.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 11:57:33 PM by BM1090 »

feedback