[December 06, 2021, 04:53:30 PM]

2021-22 Big East Conference Results by tower912
[December 06, 2021, 04:20:07 PM]

NM by Fluffy Blue Monster
[December 06, 2021, 03:54:43 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 12/14/2020 by Nukem2
[December 06, 2021, 03:32:59 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Recent Books you have enjoyed  (Read 49198 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Recent Books you have enjoyed
« Reply #200 on: November 12, 2021, 11:50:08 PM »
Thought “Sooley” was good, not great.

Agree 100%.
“A lot of the stuff that we believe in and that I’ve always believed in — it takes time. It’s not a quick fix. It’s not an instant-gratification thing. It’s a drip-by-drip process.”

-- Shaka Smart, in The Athletic, 10/13/21

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #201 on: November 13, 2021, 12:01:37 AM »
Just finished the Giannis biography by Mirin Fader, and holy Hell, if you haven't read this book, you don't know anything about what he has overcome to make it to where he is, or the extent of his humility.

The Giannis biography is next on my list after I finish up How the Word is Passed. Not sure I’ve heard a bad review from anyone.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #202 on: November 14, 2021, 02:38:56 PM »
Alex Trebek's And the Answer Is... is an easy and fun read. He was a real down to earth type of guy and he offered plenty of great stories from his life.

My favorite story was when he was MC for the packages of performances- music, athletic events, etc.- that were put on to celebrate Canada's 100th anniversary as a Dominion in 1967. With Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip present and, afterward, thanking the performers ("That was a wonderful performance. I enjoyed it very much. Please tell me your name and where you are from."). Rinse and repeat. Phillip's job was to stay just slightly behind Elizabeth in the receiving line as they thanked everyone. Just before the queen came up to Alex, she glanced over her shoulder and noticed that Phillip was not behind her. She was not going to exit the stage alone, so when she spoke to Alex (he was at the end of the line) , she engaged him in conversation for quite a while after finding that he had an interest in horses, a subject in which she is very knowledgeable. And why was Prince Phillip delayed? Apparently he was quite interested in a gymnastic team and not anxious to move on. Alex described the team as "20 year old blond girls in bright blue tights".   

Alex's phone rang often that night. His friends, having seen the events on TV, wanted to know how he managed to get such special treatment from the queen. The next day Alex was MC again and wondered what his new best friend would choose to talk about when she came to him at the end of the line. Queen Elizabeth approached Alex, smiled, and said " Wonderful performance. I really enjoyed it. Please tell me your name and where you are from."
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 04:58:24 PM by Scoop Snoop »
"Your words don't mean anything to me. Argument doesn't have any effect on me."
Doc Burton: "I wasn't arguing. I was asking for information. All of you people get angry when you're asked a question."

Excerpt from a Steinbeck novel.

feedback