Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Band Discussion..  (Read 25390 times)

Gwaki

• All American
Marquette Band Discussion..
« on: February 04, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »
The music selection never changes and hasn't for years and they show little to no emotion while playing.  When I went to the the DePaul game their director was dancing around and playing with the band.  They seemed to be having fun and the music they played was new and current.  Is this too much to ask for from our band?  Is it to hard to learn a new song?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:37:58 AM by Gwaki »

🏀

• All American
Re: Marquette Band Discussion..
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 06:06:26 PM »
I've been saying this for years!

GregClausenForever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 06:30:34 PM »
I won't flat out say that they suck.  However, I agree that the song selection is dismal and honestly does not seem to have changed since my freshman year almost a decade ago. 

When they busted out "Gone Daddy Gone" a few weeks ago, I texted my brother because (1.) I was shocked they were playing a new song and (2.) I was shocked that they were playing a new song.

Seriously... these guys are as repetitive as my previous statement.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 06:45:18 PM »
Don't you fellas understand tradition?...Ya want new songs?...learn to play an instrument then.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 06:46:52 PM by MUUWUWM »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 06:46:54 PM »
You do realize that Marquette does not have a department of music, and the band is all volunteers.

DePaul has a department of music, and likely requires some involvement in the university bands.

I'm not going to claim that the MU band is awesome, but you get what you pay for.  And they band is only around because random MU students with a variety of majors volunteer their time to the band.

It's not fair to compare them to schools with music majors.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 06:53:10 PM »
Sucked for 20 years :-[

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 06:59:51 PM »
I was down in St. Louis for a game a few years back in the Conference USA days.  I talked to some of the locals down there and they raved about our band. 

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »
You do realize that Marquette does not have a department of music, and the band is all volunteers.

DePaul has a department of music, and likely requires some involvement in the university bands.

I'm not going to claim that the MU band is awesome, but you get what you pay for.  And they band is only around because random MU students with a variety of majors volunteer their time to the band.

Exactly.  De Paul has an excellent music department, and produces lots of professional musicians.  Marquette just introduced a music minor a few years ago.  Some of the Wisconsin faithful seem to think that commenting on Marquette's xylaphone is just the funniest thing in the world.  UW also has a music department.  Good for them.  Our band is what it is. 

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 07:18:30 PM »
I remember them playing Enter Sandman when I was there (or maybe Zeppelin). 

And last night at the game a friend commented on the drummer (with the full kit) going "Animal" while playing. 

I think they're fine.  The occasional moments they pull out something unusual is great though.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

MUfan2

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 07:27:06 PM »

What's not fair is how they take up thousands and thousands of dollars of seat revenue from a great viewing area, bring absolutely no energy whatsoever to the games, and try to defend themselves because they "volunteer."  Yeah, you guys "volunteered."  You play 6 awful songs a game, get dropped off right next to the arena doors, and get courtside seats for all home games.  True martyrs.     

They're awful, plain and simple.  Always have been, always will be.  Gwaki, good post, but even with how bad the band is, it's nowhere near as bad as you wearing a jersey that is 3 sizes too small and no undershirt. 
"If you are making your decision based on climate, you're probably not tough enough to play here." - Buzz Williams

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 07:28:20 PM »
CHICAGO members met as music majors at DePaul

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 07:58:53 PM »
What's not fair is how they take up thousands and thousands of dollars of seat revenue from a great viewing area, bring absolutely no energy whatsoever to the games, and try to defend themselves because they "volunteer."  Yeah, you guys "volunteered."  You play 6 awful songs a game, get dropped off right next to the arena doors, and get courtside seats for all home games.  True martyrs.     

They're awful, plain and simple.  Always have been, always will be.  Gwaki, good post, but even with how bad the band is, it's nowhere near as bad as you wearing a jersey that is 3 sizes too small and no undershirt. 

+1. Its pretty ridiculous they take up some of the best seats and offer no added passion. I know the school probably wants them around to play the fight song, but there isnt a good reason for why they must sit so close.

The worst part is that sometimes it doesn't even look like they fill the whole area reserved to them, making the student section look and feel less filled. Don't we have a sound system?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 08:20:37 PM »
I'll say they do not suck.  Wouldn't mind a few new songs here and there, but they're fine with what they do. 

I'm probably a non-traditionalist, in that I actually like the modern music they play moreso than what the band serves up.  Wouldn't want to do without the band, of course.  And we could do without some of the stupid stuff, like "What's up Marquette?" which is cringe-inducing.

Saying the band sucks is an over-statement.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 08:26:49 PM »
While you can't major in music at MU, we do have a small dept that teaches non credit courses and has a faculty.

http://www.marquette.edu/osd/music/index.shtml
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 09:01:25 PM »

Yeah - Walter P., Chicago's Sax guy, had a tough decision to make a while back.  Continue playing woodwins for the Chicago Sympony Orchestra?  Or go full time playing Sax with the rock and roll band.

Point is, yes I agree, DePaul has some really good musicians attending.   ;D
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

passion of da coach

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 09:19:31 PM »
No, they suck. 

Music majors or not, they couldnt even keep beat on thunderstruck...

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 09:26:14 PM »
I think a class in the newly developing music minor needs to be basketball appreciation or something.  Always seemed to me that the biggest problem was that band kids never seemed to quite grasp their role in the event that is a basketball game.  Not to belittle that, either. A good, energetic, and basketball-savy band is invaluable to the college basketball experience.  But when they don't care, they are just band kids with the best seats in the house.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 09:37:48 PM »
Wow.  Did you guys get beat up by a trumpet player or something?  I've read less hostile things about Reece Gaines.

connie

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 09:40:19 PM »
I won't say "suck," but a better term doesn't come to mind.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 09:42:18 PM »
Given the activities involved, "blows" may be more appropriate.  Just saying....   ::)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 09:51:23 PM »
What a bunch of grouches... yeesh. Always something to complain about, I guess.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »
I think a class in the newly developing music minor needs to be basketball appreciation or something.  Always seemed to me that the biggest problem was that band kids never seemed to quite grasp their role in the event that is a basketball game.  Not to belittle that, either. A good, energetic, and basketball-savy band is invaluable to the college basketball experience.  But when they don't care, they are just band kids with the best seats in the house.

It's been quite a while since I was a band geek in my frosh, and early soph years, but they're much more regulated than you think.  They're notified with about 5 seconds notice when they are allowed to play/make sounds.  And then notified with even less time when they are to stop making sounds.  This was before Crean (even before dean...KO days), but even then it was a very controlled environment in the BC as to what "entertainment" is happening at any point in time.  Deviate from that, and you get in trouble.

As for those that don't get into the game, I won't excuse that.  If you're there, you should be cheering on the team.  period.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:53:40 PM by rocky_warrior »

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 10:44:56 PM »

This was not always the case. Brother Horton Roe was in and of himself a Department of Music. Since Monk Roe is probably no longer teaching the U should look to replace him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 10:46:27 PM »
I used to work with the band, cheerleaders and mascot as an intern at MU.  These kids are doing it on their own dime, no scholarship, a ton of time commitments.

I tip my hat to them all.

Goatherder

• Starter
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 10:47:26 PM »

Ray Manzerek of The Doors went there as well.