Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Band Discussion..  (Read 25389 times)

TheDOC816

• Starter
Re: Marquette Band Discussion..
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2010, 12:19:10 PM »
Plus it is so so lame to play the same songs every game and at the same time. (Including the very, very stupid "Hey" song)

I really don't mind that they play certain songs at the same time especially the Hey song.  The band at DePaul wasn't really that great.  Yeah they played different songs than we do but I wonder how often those songs get repeated at their games.  Just keep in mind we only went to one game and I doubt anyone here goes to more than one DePaul game a year at the Allstate arena.  So before we jump to conclusions that they don't repeat and have a great variety of songs lets go to more than one game and see what they are like in the second game.  I'm inclined to think that they probably repeat just as much as our band does.

groove

« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2010, 12:24:54 PM »
But what about our cheerleaders? Do they?

TheDOC816

• Starter
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2010, 12:28:07 PM »
do they what?

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2010, 12:32:26 PM »
I was down in St. Louis for a game a few years back in the Conference USA days.  I talked to some of the locals down there and they raved about our band. 

SLU's band is even worse than our band.

Their "Fight song" is just "When the Saints Go Marchin In" played twice with S-A-I-N-T-L-O-U-I-S in between.

They can't even get students to fill up the band and have to routinely call in alumni. Watch a SLU game if they ever make it to TV and I guarantee you see a guy with white hair playing the trombone.

Don't get me wrong, my hat's off the MU bandos for the practice time they put in, but on game day, the 106ers have you beat decidedly. 90 minutes before tipoff? My senior year we were frequently in line at least 2 hours before doors...for the nonconference games. It also wouldn't hurt to get some new songs. No legal copies of 7 nation army lying around? Well....Illinois and Penn State managed to find copies...so they must exist somewhere. Even then....It's SEVEN NOTES- Po Po Ro Po Po Po Po.

People with a tune for music could probably pick it out by ear.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2010, 12:33:42 PM »
do they what?

C'mon....
(let your eyes scan up to the thread title. And then enjoy the 5th grade chuckle courtesy of Groove.)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

pillardean

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2010, 12:35:47 PM »

I'm sure DWJ could lend an answer to this question

Some would say the more important question is "Do they Sw....."

Ok I won't go there.  

Marquette University, Spring '08

TheDOC816

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2010, 12:36:27 PM »

C'mon....
(let your eyes scan up to the thread title. And then enjoy the 5th grade chuckle courtesy of Groove.)

Meh it just kinda jumped topic.  If anything it was more like 3rd grade at best

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2010, 12:38:02 PM »
Here we go ... I was waiting for this.

Look the band and spirit squad are pretty good.  They're nothing spectacular, but they are not bad either.  There's no music major at MU, there's no Dance major at MU, and there's no cheerleading major at MU.  So, the students that are providing their talents at the games because they feel they can add something to the experience.  I feel like they all should take a game off so you idiots can appreciate what they are doing and the difference they make.

Get a life haters.

LON

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2010, 12:47:13 PM »
Haters wanna hate,
Lovers wanna love,
I don't want,
None of the above.

I want to piss on you.
Yes I do, I'll piss on you.

groove

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »
yeah, sorry, couldn't resist. Anyways, I wasn't being a hater of the cheerleaders at all. I'm actually wondering how selections are made for the cheerleader of the week on the SI.com site. I've looked at the archives of the ones that get selected and I know our squad has some that could rate up there. The cheerleader on the site this week from the University of Buffalo is nothing special.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2010, 01:22:33 PM »
a) band geeks will always be geeky, doesn't mean they aren't fans. They may be a little socially off but still good fans. I think they do a decent job when it comes to jumping and stuff, they have their coordinated tricks

b) where the music is concerned: I played band in High School (pep band too) and sometimes the music sucks, not the musician. I've seen some arrangements of various pop songs from 2005-on and they're just badly done. Can't blame the musician if the notes on the page aren't written well. Now if the MU band played "Sell Out" more often, I'd be happier.

c) I favor a music program, though I know why band people think there is a downside to it.

d) And while were on it for those that complain about the band being bad, can I make a pitch for no uggos/fatties in 106? If they're going to be on TV the most as representing the student body, can't we at least show some good bodies? Last thing I want perspective MU students seeing is the people from 106 and going "do all girls at MU look like that?"

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2010, 02:00:02 PM »
our student section sucks.

where have they all been the last two home games. what a disgrace.

does buzz need to work the students over better?

tommy boy sure knew how to do that. it didn't, however, having d-wade on the roster.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2010, 02:12:50 PM »
Good point actually.  The pep band members are really more dedicated than the average Marquette student fan.  Sure the 106 dudes (is that the section?) get to *SOME* game early, but that pales in comparison to the time spent in band practices accumulating points to be part of the pep band.

100% agree about their commitment but with that much time put in you'd think that learning a new song could happen every semester.  Perhaps it does and i just don't notice.

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2010, 02:14:41 PM »
100% agree about their commitment but with that much time put in you'd think that learning a new song could happen every semester.  Perhaps it does and i just don't notice.

You don't notice.  They've been adding a few new ones each year that I know were not in the folder back in my day.  ;)

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2010, 02:46:23 PM »
correction on what I said earlier...7 Nation is no longer available. And yes, anyone with a half a gram of musical talent can play it by ear, but if we did...the White Stripes could take the school for a lot of cash.  Also, +1 to the comment about new songs having terrible arrangements.  im impressed we've dug up gone baby gone and holiday

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2010, 03:00:31 PM »
I used to work with the band, cheerleaders and mascot as an intern at MU.  These kids are doing it on their own dime, no scholarship, a ton of time commitments.

I tip my hat to them all.
+1.  Some of the folks here are real grinches.

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2010, 03:23:51 PM »
correction on what I said earlier...7 Nation is no longer available.
Not available in the MU folder or not available for any band?

Because I'm pretty sure I heard U of I playing it last weekend against Tommy Boy.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

Brandinooo

• Walk-On
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2010, 03:44:52 PM »
WOW

Ok, I rarely EVER post on here, but this is tooo much. Almost hilarious in fact.

I graduated in 2009, and played in Pep Band 3 years (Soph-Senior year. Was a Fanatic Freshman year). I must comment of some of the stuff y'all have been saying.

1) Yes, I know, they're off on the thunderstruck thing. The thing is, it sounds like we're playing with them down by where we're playing, but because of the delay of the speakers on the band and the distance, if you're across the arena from them, it'll sound like crap. So yeah, I don't think they should do it anymore...but there IS a reason why is can sound bad.

2) You guys are HILARIOUS for saying that we don't add energy to what we're playing. Ridiculous! Sure, we've got bandos who may or may not be more concerned about playing the songs than the game...it's a band and the stereotypical band geekage DOES exist. However, all I know is that in my 3 years, I pretty much went ballistic every game and made sure to wear face paint as much as possible (see profile pic from Winston-Salem in 2007).

3) You guys are also NOT CATCHING AT ALL the new songs we've been playing. Sure, there are some old faves, but to tell the truth, whenever I hear the pep bands from other college basketball games, they seem to be 'gold standards' of pep band music. For example, there's "The Impression That I Get" and come on, we're MU, we gotta play "You Can Call Me Al." WE HAVE BEEN PLAYING NEW SONGS. For the past few years, a few new songs get added to the folder, with old ones being taken out. As for ones that get frequent playing time, I know that a coupla Billy Squier songs were added in 2007-2008 (The Stroke, Everybody Wants You) and I know we play "Vehicle" a lot from that year. In 2008-2009 we added "Frankenstein" and "Kung Fu Fighting" and those get extended play. I was able to play for the Big East opener this year because alums can play over the break, and I know that they added at least 4 new songs, one of which I remember is "Holiday." So come on guys, we're adding new stuff, you guys just haven't been paying attention. And I think most people, at least the student section, still likes it when we play "Rock and Roll pt. 2" for the 4 min. TV timeout in the 2nd half.

4) As for U of I playing Seven Nation Army, I'm just guessing it's cause they had the money to pony up the big bucks. Or maybe they just don't care. I dunno. Perhaps you guys would like to contact Athletics to give the big bucks? Or to pay for a music school.

5) In my opinion, the band has only been getting better these past few years, while I agree that the Gold Rush has decreased in quality significantly this year with the exit of the Big Three, and that they need to step it up more than the band at this juncture. Being a former member of both, I feel like I can say that.

For a school that only recently developed a music minor and has no music school, I think we do a pretty good job.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2010, 03:48:55 PM »
^^^^^^ I told you they were geeks  ;D

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2010, 04:08:58 PM »
haha. ps brandon, are you still involved in the band? i thought i saw you in there at the villanova game over break.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2010, 04:16:41 PM »
I like the band and think they do a decent job at bringing a college "feel" to the game. Thanks for the effort. I appreciate it.  But, there is no denying that section is filled with a ton of geeks.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2010, 04:20:26 PM »
haha. ps brandon, are you still involved in the band? i thought i saw you in there at the villanova game over break.

There was a band alumni game over break, so that might have been it.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2010, 04:53:15 PM »
Brandon said right in his post that he played in the Big East opener, and that was the Villanova game, so yes, he was there.
These kids are all putting in their own time.  I think they are fine.  I'd like to get rid of the Hey song just because I don't like the addition of "you s...", especially when it seems to be directed at the families/fans that sit behind the opposing team's bench.
I also wish more students showed up for the non-marquee games.
As an aside, I remember years when the MU/DePaul bands and cheerleaders used to make the trips to the respective road games, and take turns playing music and doing cheers.  I know it's been a long time since that happened, but anyone know why that doesn't happen anymore?

DHarder

• Walk-On
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2010, 05:34:43 PM »
As a member and leader of the Pep Band I can say that many of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Especially the person (whoever you are) who started this thread in the first place. Some superfan you are.

First off, I have been to every single men's and women's game. If you'd like to see some people who TRULY support Marquette Athletics, then head to the Al for a women's game. Nearly every game, we outmatch the student section heavily. For the men's games, we pull at minimum 30 people. For most men's games we average around 50. We participate in the games wholeheartedly and are as emotionally involved as any fan or superfan out there. We yell at refs for bad calls, cheer wildly when DJO nails yet another 3-pointer, and groan when a foul shot is missed. I understand that at certain points we may seem "out of it" or "not personally involved in the game", but those constraints are due to athletics tying our hands (we're not allowed to turn around and yell "Sucks" when the starting lineup of the opposing team is announced for instance). We are, hands down, the best group of fans in that stadium. Dare to challenge me? Come stand next to us and you'll find out. We don't need to wear small jerseys, tight pants, or be in a drunken stupor to be passionate about our basketball teams.

WE earn our right to travel during tournaments (as do the cheerleaders). Every person in the band who volunteers for the tournaments must first attend over 15 games, both men's and women's, which are assigned to them at the beginning of the season. These individuals are NOT doing their homework, just twiddling their thumbs, or sitting down waiting for the game to be over.

As for the music selection, we have been working on it. Believe me, the directors and the students have been trying to get 7 Nation Army. As someone above pointed out earlier, we have added a few songs every semester and are trying to diversify our playlists. Also, as pointed out earlier, the majority of modern music out there is very difficult to translate into "pep music" for our instruments (I wish we could, but its not possible). Additionally, the more modern music is played by the DJ and so we often play tunes that are more familiar to the rest of the BC. If you have suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. However, merely saying that "we suck" and "we play the same songs repeatedly" is disrespectful and flat-out wrong. Also keep in mind that music is not cheap. If you really want to hear a song, fork over the cash and we can play it.

I also resent the term "band geek" and the implication that we are socially awkward. This is far from the truth and just because we're not wearing our rugbies off campus doesn't mean that we're not out there having a good time. We enjoy the trips to Caff's and Murphy's, hanging out with friends (in and out of band), and discussing and debating our basketball teams as much as the next Marquette student.

My last note is about the challenges that we are not a "quality sounding" band. It is correct that we do not have a music major. There are a few music minors who are involved in pep band. However the majority of us are non-music majors and minors who practice our instruments 6 hours a week (minimum) as well as perform in concerts and basketball games. My old high school won state and national awards (top 20 according to the Grammy Foundation) and the quality of Marquette's band program is leagues above my old high school. Brandon pointed out above that there's a sound issue in the BC. This may be the cause of some of your concerns and some of the irregularities in the sound across the student section. It is not a quality issue, but simply a space issue.

If you would like to make some constructive and serious contributions to the band program, I'd be more than willing to have a respectful conversation with anyone who has ideas how to make our band better. In the meantime, anyone who just trashes our band as sub-par to their personal standards, I challenge you to swing by the Varsity Theater 2 hours before tip off and see just how much we really do put into this band and our athletics.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2010, 05:46:15 PM »
As a member and leader of the Pep Band I can say that many of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Especially the person (whoever you are) who started this thread in the first place. Some superfan you are.

First off, I have been to every single men's and women's game. If you'd like to see some people who TRULY support Marquette Athletics, then head to the Al for a women's game. Nearly every game, we outmatch the student section heavily. For the men's games, we pull at minimum 30 people. For most men's games we average around 50. We participate in the games wholeheartedly and are as emotionally involved as any fan or superfan out there. We yell at refs for bad calls, cheer wildly when DJO nails yet another 3-pointer, and groan when a foul shot is missed. I understand that at certain points we may seem "out of it" or "not personally involved in the game", but those constraints are due to athletics tying our hands (we're not allowed to turn around and yell "Sucks" when the starting lineup of the opposing team is announced for instance). We are, hands down, the best group of fans in that stadium. Dare to challenge me? Come stand next to us and you'll find out. We don't need to wear small jerseys, tight pants, or be in a drunken stupor to be passionate about our basketball teams.

WE earn our right to travel during tournaments (as do the cheerleaders). Every person in the band who volunteers for the tournaments must first attend over 15 games, both men's and women's, which are assigned to them at the beginning of the season. These individuals are NOT doing their homework, just twiddling their thumbs, or sitting down waiting for the game to be over.

As for the music selection, we have been working on it. Believe me, the directors and the students have been trying to get 7 Nation Army. As someone above pointed out earlier, we have added a few songs every semester and are trying to diversify our playlists. Also, as pointed out earlier, the majority of modern music out there is very difficult to translate into "pep music" for our instruments (I wish we could, but its not possible). Additionally, the more modern music is played by the DJ and so we often play tunes that are more familiar to the rest of the BC. If you have suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. However, merely saying that "we suck" and "we play the same songs repeatedly" is disrespectful and flat-out wrong. Also keep in mind that music is not cheap. If you really want to hear a song, fork over the cash and we can play it.

I also resent the term "band geek" and the implication that we are socially awkward. This is far from the truth and just because we're not wearing our rugbies off campus doesn't mean that we're not out there having a good time. We enjoy the trips to Caff's and Murphy's, hanging out with friends (in and out of band), and discussing and debating our basketball teams as much as the next Marquette student.

My last note is about the challenges that we are not a "quality sounding" band. It is correct that we do not have a music major. There are a few music minors who are involved in pep band. However the majority of us are non-music majors and minors who practice our instruments 6 hours a week (minimum) as well as perform in concerts and basketball games. My old high school won state and national awards (top 20 according to the Grammy Foundation) and the quality of Marquette's band program is leagues above my old high school. Brandon pointed out above that there's a sound issue in the BC. This may be the cause of some of your concerns and some of the irregularities in the sound across the student section. It is not a quality issue, but simply a space issue.

If you would like to make some constructive and serious contributions to the band program, I'd be more than willing to have a respectful conversation with anyone who has ideas how to make our band better. In the meantime, anyone who just trashes our band as sub-par to their personal standards, I challenge you to swing by the Varsity Theater 2 hours before tip off and see just how much we really do put into this band and our athletics.

Very well said.  Welcome to the board DH.  Thanks for imparting some reason in this thread.  I'll add that if anyone feels otherwise, perhaps they should contribute something themselves.  Anyone can be a fan, few actually donate their time and effort.  If you're complaining about the work that volunteers do then your horse must be high indeed; come take a walk at ground level and see if that changes your perspective.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.