Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette Band Discussion..  (Read 25386 times)

lakersfan839

• Walk-On
Re: Marquette Band Discussion..
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 10:54:20 PM »
First of all, how often is the BC packed at a game, barely, so there is no loss in revenue. And plus those would be student section seats if there was no band so really still no loss in revenue. The student section never gets entirely packed either.

Do all of you understand how much time the pep band puts into each game? We arrive one hour and a half before tip at the varsity and don't get done till at least a half hour after game end.

And not being music majors is a huge part of it. Those people make music their life. WE dont, we are full time students with other things going on besides trying to perfect our music playing skills. You want a "better" band then go pay some people thousands of dollars or actually start a music major at marquette.

Oh and we dont get into the game? We are some of the most devote fans in the stadium. We stand pretty much the entire game, actually cheering. Most alumni sit on there hands and do nothing so dont go preaching about the band not cheering. Have you watched the band during the game even??? we have cheers we do for every free throw, every basket (different things for dunk, 3 pt basket and regular shots) and every one participates.

Go whine about something else. this is pathetic
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:02:34 PM by lakersfan839 »

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 10:57:24 PM »
First of all, how often is the bradely center packed at a game, barley, so there is no loss in revenue. And plus those would be student section seats if there was no band so really still no loss in revenue. The student section never gets entirely packed either.

Do all of you understand how much time the pep band puts into each game? We arrive one hour and a half before tip at the varsity and don't get done till at least a half hour after game end.

And not being music majors is a huge part of it. Those people make music their life. WE dont, we are full time students with other things going on besides trying to perfect our music playing skills. You want a "better" band then go play some people thousands of dollars or actually start a music major at marquette.

Oh and we dont get into the game? We are some of the most devote fans in the stadium. We stand pretty much the entire game, actually cheering. Most alumni sit on there hands and do nothing so dont go preaching about the band not cheering. Have you watched the band during the game even??? we have cheers we do for every free throw, every basket (different things for dunk, 3 pt basket and regular shots) and every one participates.

Go whine about something else. this is pathetic

+1
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

muhoosier260

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 11:52:41 PM »
Gwaki, good post, but even with how bad the band is, it's nowhere near as bad as you wearing a jersey that is 3 sizes too small and no undershirt.  
hahahahahahaahahahahahahaahah. this is my personal favorite quote in muscoop history. BURN

Edit: I guess gwaki is jealous of depaul, maybe he wants some black eyed peas "i gotta feeling", b/c all indications point to that being their only song.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 11:56:37 PM by muhoosier260 »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 12:03:30 AM »
Oh and we dont get into the game? We are some of the most devote fans in the stadium.

Good point actually.  The pep band members are really more dedicated than the average Marquette student fan.  Sure the 106 dudes (is that the section?) get to *SOME* game early, but that pales in comparison to the time spent in band practices accumulating points to be part of the pep band.

If you're a student, and you think you can do better, then by all means, please join the band.

I used to work with the band, cheerleaders and mascot as an intern at MU.  These kids are doing it on their own dime, no scholarship, a ton of time commitments.

I tip my hat to them all.

I'm stickin' up for the bandos, but good point on the cheerleaders and mascot too.  No reason to rip on people giving up their free time to provide some entertainment. 

Now that I think of it...especially coming from Gwaki...

ItsaBargen

• Walk-On
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 12:22:26 AM »
What is the point of this commentary?  Why is there this need to be so mean spirited towards people that are trying their best to support the team?  What talents are you putting on the line in front of everyone?

There are a lot of very hardcore basketball fans in band.  There are some less devoted.  Sounds pretty similar to the student section and rest of the crowd. 

Instead of being a douche about it, why not start a thread with suggestions for new selections?

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010, 12:26:51 AM »
sounds like a support the troops, not the war type of thing to me.  the bandos are entirely commendable for their time commitments, etc.  but maybe it is time that MU look into getting serious about the band.  the minor would seem like a nice step in that direction, but i dont really know what it all takes.  there is little doubt that the band does a nice job given the resources, etc.  at the same time, it isn't that of a band at bigger schools that make a bigger commitment.

as for the band being the most devout fans in the stadium, agree to disagree i suppose.  but that is admittedly as much an elitist argument regarding overall knowledge of the game more than anything.  ive seen large pockets of the band cheer at the wrong times, turned around facing the wrong way during crucial junctures of the game, etc.  better than large pockets of the student body? sure. superfans? lets not go overboard.

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 12:44:07 AM »
but maybe it is time that MU look into getting serious about the band.  the minor would seem like a nice step in that direction, but i dont really know what it all takes.  there is little doubt that the band does a nice job given the resources, etc.  at the same time, it isn't that of a band at bigger schools that make a bigger commitment.

Sounds to me like you want a music major.  What happens then?  You get a portion of the people that 'have to do pep band' as part of the major and don't know anything or care about basketball.  Sure it may sound a little better, but not fixing your perceived 'spirit' problem.  I think part of the reason the band doesn't sound great is that they are too small for the venue.  They fill the Al quite well, but they have to be mic'd at the BC and the BC just doesn't do the best of job with that, on top of the BC sound system sucking to begin with.  It also creates an echo problem for a portion of the arena where the sound coming out of the speakers is ahead of the direct sound from the band.

Go to a women's game at the Al, actually listen to the unmuddled, undrowned out Pep Band and report your thoughts.

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 01:07:45 AM »
First off I never said the band is not into the game.  I am saying that when playing the songs you don't see people dancing around and having fun.  I agree you do have some pretty good things that you do.  I was just making a point that it seems like there are never new songs that the band plays.  I know you guys have practices and it is a large time commitment and I am thankful we do have a band.  The same songs just get dull and don't always seem to fit in or are played at weird times.

Second off that jersey was retired after last season.

krocheck

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 01:30:31 AM »
First off I never said the band is not into the game.  I am saying that when playing the songs you don't see people dancing around and having fun.  I agree you do have some pretty good things that you do.  I was just making a point that it seems like there are never new songs that the band plays.
With all due respect, you need to learn how to create meaningful topics because your topic title does not imply they simply need to be crazier and get some newer music.  Regardless of what your original post content is, title sets the tone.

"Why can't the band play newer songs?" would have been a more appropriate title if that's what you were trying to get at.  Please feel free to write the band director with constructive comments if you can muster some.

After re-reading the OP I have to say, nice job taking a dump on the hard work of some students.

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 07:37:35 AM »
With all due respect, you need to learn how to create meaningful topics because your topic title does not imply they simply need to be crazier and get some newer music.  Regardless of what your original post content is, title sets the tone.

"Why can't the band play newer songs?" would have been a more appropriate title if that's what you were trying to get at.  Please feel free to write the band director with constructive comments if you can muster some.

After re-reading the OP I have to say, nice job taking a dump on the hard work of some students.

Nice post. Well said.

LON

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 07:37:45 AM »
I can only imagine the topics if we were 3-19 (2-8)...

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 07:46:09 AM »
I like the band.

passion of da coach

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 08:09:05 AM »
i just think the band should stop playing along with thunderstruck, everything else sounds ok.

warriormom

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 08:50:32 AM »
Hey scoop,
I hear you show up an hour before the game and get prime seating for handing out sheets with info on them.  Seems like you have a pretty cushy deal.
THere have been complaints about the band forever.  I agree with the posters who defended the band, but that doesn't mean there can't be improvement.  A better way to do that (especially from someone who is supposedly a super fanatic and gets trips on the University's dime just for going to sporting events that I hear he doesn't stay for the entire event) would be to send some constructive criticism and suggestions to the band director. 
I was at the DePaul game and their band was nothing special.  It was much smaller than ours and their fight song sounded lame when they played it (maybe it is just a lame fight song)
Perhaps a thread entitled  Ways to Improve Our Band  with sincere suggestions would be helpful to the band.
Being a hater isn't.

LA

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 08:56:34 AM »
Being a hater isn't.

+1
hahahahaha, you tell him warriormom.

Stop being a douche to volunteer students or donate the money it would take to create a music department and provide band scholarships.

LON

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2010, 09:06:28 AM »
+1
hahahahaha, you tell him warriormom.

Stop being a douche to volunteer students or donate the money it would take to create a music department and provide band scholarships.

But then we couldn't make snarky comments about them anymore

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2010, 09:12:22 AM »
I just find it funny that this thread was started by someone who boasts their online Playstation scores. Now that is pathetic.
But I like to throw handfuls...

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2010, 09:21:05 AM »
I am a bando, and in the three years I've been here (which happen to coincide with the years our new director has been here) I think we've taken leaps and bounds in terms of how we sound.  We also add 5-7 new songs a year.  It doesnt really help when there aren't legal copies of 7 Nation Army around to buy.  We get just as pumped as anyone else out there and more pumped than a lot of the student section. Oh, and we stand all of pregame, all of the game (including timeouts), and most of halftime too.

If you really want to complain about how we sound, come to one of our concerts and we'll prove you wrong (Feb 21, Apr 18).  For a bunch of non-music majors I think we sound damn good.

Dave Andrews

• Walk-On
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2010, 09:26:30 AM »
First off I never said the band is not into the game.  I am saying that when playing the songs you don't see people dancing around and having fun.  I agree you do have some pretty good things that you do.  I was just making a point that it seems like there are never new songs that the band plays.  I know you guys have practices and it is a large time commitment and I am thankful we do have a band.  The same songs just get dull and don't always seem to fit in or are played at weird times.

So true...at a school the size of MU, there are certainly many that were really good musicians in high school that won't play because the quality of the music is so much lower than what they played in their high school jazz and pep bands. Plus it is so so lame to play the same songs every game and at the same time. (Including the very, very stupid "Hey" song) I am sure that if there was a bigger variety of music, with less repetition, good musicians on campus would participate and those involved would have more fun. Being in the band could be 'cool'

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2010, 09:31:18 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHA, band geeks.  Channelling Allen Iverson, "We talkin bout band geeks, really!?, band geeks".

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2010, 09:32:21 AM »
I would also like to see the too tight jersey brought back from Gwaki, how else are we going to see those hairy shoulders?

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2010, 09:39:33 AM »
I am a bando, and in the three years I've been here (which happen to coincide with the years our new director has been here) I think we've taken leaps and bounds in terms of how we sound.  We also add 5-7 new songs a year.  It doesnt really help when there aren't legal copies of 7 Nation Army around to buy.  We get just as pumped as anyone else out there and more pumped than a lot of the student section. Oh, and we stand all of pregame, all of the game (including timeouts), and most of halftime too.

If you really want to complain about how we sound, come to one of our concerts and we'll prove you wrong (Feb 21, Apr 18).  For a bunch of non-music majors I think we sound damn good.
I don't know much about music, but I do know that the band adds to the energy at the games.  I like that.  Thanks for making it more fun.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2010, 09:52:39 AM »
I played in the symphonic band and jazz ensemble at Marquette all four years.  With that said, I only played at one game because 106 suited me much better.  I specifically know of a few bandos back then who would bring homework to do in between their playing time (as opposed to actually watching the game).  That is the only problem that I have-- if you're going to play with the band, go to support the team, as well.

On the other hand, almost all of the band members are very energetic and supportive.  As far as the sound quality, there's no music major at Marquette, as other people have already stated.  We all had other classes and rehearsal time per week is 6 hours max.  I think our bands sound pretty awesome for that small amount of practice time.  Don't knock it 'til you've tried it.

MU111

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »
especially from someone who is supposedly a super fanatic and gets trips on the University's dime just for going to sporting events that I hear he doesn't stay for the entire event

+1 million

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2010, 12:14:26 PM »
The same songs just get dull

At least there is an "s" at the end of "song" when talking about our band.  I assume you have watched a USC, Tennessee or Florida game on TV.  I think each of these bands are only required to know one song and they play it over and over and over and over....

I suppose if you go to those schools you are brainwashed into thinking it is really cool to hear them, but if not, not so much.  I have turned off games because I couldn't stand to hear the same song over and over.

feedback