'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Newbill-New 2010 Commit?  (Read 65935 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Philly guard commits to MU
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2010, 04:55:36 PM »
Okay - Why do you defend Tom Crean, who was on the phone with his MU recruits (Williams, Taylor) trying to get them to follow him to Indiana, and break their commitment to MU.  That is just sleazy.  Period.  Not to mention leaving his Big 3, the year before their senior season.  TC was getting paid about as high as any coach in the country, had all the support you could want..and ditches MU.  To be clear, I'm glad he's gone, but his exit was about as classless as you can have.  I believe his biggest gift to MU was Buzz Williams.  

Tom Crean has nothing to do with this new recruit, nor does Chico's "defense" of TC.

The new kid was being recruited by mid-majors, so obviously we all are hoping Buzz found a diamond in the rough.

That's all.

Oh, also, you should take this guy's advice. He sounds pretty smart.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=16178.msg156963#msg156963

Quote from: Ners on November 21, 2009
While I've never had any personal dealings with Tom Crean, and I've read here some people who have thought he evloved into an ass - I do think it is time for people to get off the Tom Crean Hate Wagon.  Stating the obvious, but the Tom Crean era really turned the image and perception of Marquette Basketball around.  The Al MacGuire center became a reality - a much needed facility/tool needed for training and recruiting.  Crean brought Buzz Williams on staff, and left behind a great situation for Buzz.  Buzz is taking the torch and running with it, and all signs indicate he could take the program to a level not seen since Al.  I just wish more MU fans would show some gratitude to Tom Crean.  Some posters here come off as bitter, even whiney girl types.  Who cares is Tom Crean used a tanning bed or not??  Really people.  Stop dissecting the guy and be grateful for what he did for our program.  Time to get over it.

kmwtrucks

• All American
Re: DJ Newbill-New 2010 Commit?
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2010, 04:57:47 PM »
Figuring half the time we are running 3 guards, having 6 on the Roster is fine.  I'm just Happy we are getting bigger at the guard spot.  Bringing in 2 6-4 guards and losing Acker and Cubes.  

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2010, 05:00:36 PM »
Anybody know how many of those 64 points were 3-pointers?  Maybe this kid is a bomber who can come off the bench and light it up when you're behind.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2010, 05:02:49 PM »
I read on the other board that Buzz wanted a high scoring guard and a 4 that could contribute right away with the last two scholarships. I think he said we lose some scoring with Cubilian and Acker graduating. So I don't think that it is a sign someone is leaving and I expect a big to be the the next recruit.

The thing I like about him is he is 6' 3". If we can get bigger guards to help out rebounding, I think it will help negate the lack of a big inside. I think Mcneal, James, and Matthews were underrated in their ability to rebound and get some loose balls that we haven't gotten this year due to Acker and Cubilian being shorter.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2010, 05:07:19 PM »
Here's a scary thought. Is a guess currently on the team or committed possibly leaving?

What is meant by that?

Guys...we have six guards  (Buycks, DJO, Junior, Blue, Smith and Newbill)

Two centers (Otule, Mbao)

Four wings (Butler, Fulce, Jones, Williams)

This is not an unbalanced roster at this point.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2010, 05:17:28 PM »
Tom Crean has nothing to do with this new recruit, nor does Chico's "defense" of TC.

The new kid was being recruited by mid-majors, so obviously we all are hoping Buzz found a diamond in the rough.

That's all.

Oh, also, you should take this guy's advice. He sounds pretty smart.

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=16178.msg156963#msg156963

Pretty funny - I posted that before I learned of TC trying to call Williams and Taylory to get them to break their MU commitment and follow him to IU.  Anyway, I stand by some of what I posted previously..but after reading a lot about TC from some of you veteran posters here - it changed my perception.  This whole thread evolved after Gumby came on here and questioned the merit of this signing..and Chicos as usual, is always standing by to generate any kind of negativity he can regarding Buzz (though he will make a token complimentary statment about Buzz so as to not come off as a complete Buzz hater and tom Crean apologist).  As for you, and this signing - who do you think buzz should have offered at this point?  what players aren't Diamond in the rough, or mid-major talents that remain unsigned?  Seems like we probably got one of the best available players out there in this kid.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2010, 05:18:09 PM »
Okay - Why do you defend Tom Crean, who was on the phone with his MU recruits (Williams, Taylor) trying to get them to follow him to Indiana, and break their commitment to MU.  That is just sleazy.  Period.  Not to mention leaving his Big 3, the year before their senior season.  TC was getting paid about as high as any coach in the country, had all the support you could want..and ditches MU.  To be clear, I'm glad he's gone, but his exit was about as classless as you can have.  I believe his biggest gift to MU was Buzz Williams.  

He left because he was offered one of the jobs at the 5 premier basketball schools in the country. That comes along probably once or twice in a lifetime, that's why he left.

How he did it, wasn't cool.  No one has denied that.  Why, do YOU KEEP BRINGING HIM UP 2 years later.  Isn't that just as valid a question? 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2010, 05:21:10 PM »
+1 - There seem to be some really naive basketball minds here..who think at this point in the recrutiing season you are going to land a McD's All American or Top 100-150 player.  If not this kid, then who..as far as what is available out there?  

Good gravy, no one here is saying this kid can't contribute or can't be a star.  All anyone is talking about is the ratings.  No one is ripping Buzz, no one is saying this is a terrible signing.  

You have gone where no one is going, why?   I think everyone would agree, we have to wait until he plays to see where he is.

Ewill was a top 100 kid and is struggling his freshman year.  This kid isn't top 100 and he might light the world on fire.  It's a message board, it's a recruit signing.  It's speculative, that's all it is.  To crap on people and say they are naive is a joke, it really is.  Just relax and come off the saddle will you.

And how in the hell am I offering any negativity?  I'm simply posting what other websites have posted.  I'm passing on information....that's all.  Good grief you are a sensitive one.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 05:23:38 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2010, 05:37:34 PM »
I bet Buzz's wife says...#170? A Shooting Guard?  Really?

This one is a head scratcher.  I figured we'd get a wing but it would be another J Jones type 6'6" ish.  Maybe this kid can just absolutely stroke it.  The one thing we have not had since the 2006 is depth.  We're just to guys playing 35 min.  So I think we're all conditioned to thinking we don't need another SG but Buzz obviously wants more at all spots not just bigs.

As Hayward said, if the final scholarship is a guard, then I'll really worry. 

But to question this is normal. 

If you don't question this you're just...buying everything...the coach says...hook line and sinker...no one wins when that happens.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2010, 05:38:18 PM »
Maybe DJ Newbill has a 6'8" friend on his high school or AAU team who is a year or two younger?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2010, 05:45:11 PM »
Good gravy, no one here is saying this kid can't contribute or can't be a star.  All anyone is talking about is the ratings.  No one is ripping Buzz, no one is saying this is a terrible signing.  

You have gone where no one is going, why?   I think everyone would agree, we have to wait until he plays to see where he is.

Ewill was a top 100 kid and is struggling his freshman year.  This kid isn't top 100 and he might light the world on fire.  It's a message board, it's a recruit signing.  It's speculative, that's all it is.  To crap on people and say they are naive is a joke, it really is.  Just relax and come off the saddle will you.

And how in the hell am I offering any negativity?  I'm simply posting what other websites have posted.  I'm passing on information....that's all.  Good grief you are a sensitive one.
  For about the 5th time..the original poster -Gumbey - came on here with negativity about this signing.  Like you say, we have to wait until he plays to see where he is.  And you are right Chicos, I am a sensitive one when it comes to people questioning Buzz Williams and the decisions he makes.  Buzz is the best thing that has happened to MU basketball since D-Wade, and prior to that Al McGuire.  I, along with all other Buzz-sexuals, will be vindicated in the next 4 years.  Hopefully MU inks him to a long-term deal.  I'll be glad to NEVER mention Tom Crean again, so long as you agree to the same deal.  Can you do that?  No more TC talk regardless of the topic.  I have no doubtt this will be much more difficult for you - but since you asked about why we have to keep bringing him up 2 years later..let's just stop...you and me both.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2010, 05:47:01 PM »
So is Wayne Blackshear's commitment to UL soft? If so, are we now out of it?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2010, 05:58:51 PM »

Guys...we have six guards  (Buycks, DJO, Junior, Blue, Smith and Newbill)

Two centers (Otule, Mbao)

Four wings (Butler, Fulce, Jones, Williams)

This is not an unbalanced roster at this point.
Ttwo centers--neither which is currently playing--and both who are huge projects
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2010, 05:59:03 PM »
I bet Buzz's wife says...#170? A Shooting Guard?  Really?

This one is a head scratcher.  I figured we'd get a wing but it would be another J Jones type 6'6" ish.  Maybe this kid can just absolutely stroke it.  The one thing we have not had since the 2006 is depth.  We're just to guys playing 35 min.  So I think we're all conditioned to thinking we don't need another SG but Buzz obviously wants more at all spots not just bigs.

As Hayward said, if the final scholarship is a guard, then I'll really worry. 

But to question this is normal. 

If you don't question this you're just...buying everything...the coach says...hook line and sinker...no one wins when that happens.

From what I can tell, he's a scorer but not a shooter, if you know what I mean.  Says he struggles from deep, but knows how to score.  Could be like a DJ or McNeal type, not great shooters but find ways to put the ball in the basket.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2010, 06:01:12 PM »
Doc Rivers was a scorer, rather than a shooter also. If he turns out 1/2 as well, we're all partying.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2010, 06:01:31 PM »
  For about the 5th time..the original poster -Gumbey - came on here with negativity about this signing.  Like you say, we have to wait until he plays to see where he is.  And you are right Chicos, I am a sensitive one when it comes to people questioning Buzz Williams and the decisions he makes.  Buzz is the best thing that has happened to MU basketball since D-Wade, and prior to that Al McGuire.  I, along with all other Buzz-sexuals, will be vindicated in the next 4 years.  Hopefully MU inks him to a long-term deal.  I'll be glad to NEVER mention Tom Crean again, so long as you agree to the same deal.  Can you do that?  No more TC talk regardless of the topic.  I have no doubtt this will be much more difficult for you - but since you asked about why we have to keep bringing him up 2 years later..let's just stop...you and me both.

I almost never bring him up unless someone levels some absurdity first.  I hope you're right about Buzz.  All I've asked is that he keep going what TC started.  If he can do that, I'll be very happy camper.

Graduate kids at nearly 100%
Compete in the upper half of the Big East
Go to the NCAAs 3 of 4 years
Stay within the NCAA rules
Keep the kids out of trouble
Represent MU well

If he can do that, I'll be tickled.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2010, 06:08:24 PM »
I almost never bring him up unless someone levels some absurdity first.  I hope you're right about Buzz.  All I've asked is that he keep going what TC started.  If he can do that, I'll be very happy camper.

Graduate kids at nearly 100%
Compete in the upper half of the Big East
Go to the NCAAs 3 of 4 years
Stay within the NCAA rules
Keep the kids out of trouble
Represent MU well

If he can do that, I'll be tickled.
  Fair enough.  Glad we have a deal.  No more TC..but lets add regardless of the absurdity of the mention..after all it has been 2 years.  Time to let go.  He needs no more defending.  He did some good things while here...but Buzz will definitely acheive the list you mention below.  doing a pretty great job in this rebuiliding year, and stacking back to back Top 20 recruiting classes.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2010, 06:10:22 PM »
Ttwo centers--neither which is currently playing--and both who are huge projects

+100

chapman

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2010, 06:21:54 PM »
So is Wayne Blackshear's commitment to UL soft? If so, are we now out of it?

Maybe, and heavens no.  One, we won't konw if this guy is any good by signing day next fall.  Two, Blackshear wouldn't be afraid of a guy ranked #170 at his position when he is top 20 overall.  Three, Blackshear has 1-2 inches and 40 pounds on this guy (who at 6'3"-6'4" weighs five more pounds than 5'8" Acker or five less than 6' Cubillan).

This is what I worry about most.  We can bring in a true 4/5, but based what we can expect from Otule/Mbao if two of our wings/centers get hurt we're stuck playing with four guards 6'3" or less or basically playing 30+ minutes with a 6'6" wing at center just like this year, regardless of how much size the other team has.  If two of our guards get hurt, we still have some depth, plus Butler/Jones should be more than capable of playing the three.  As far as the "if"s, two bigs are probably more likely to go down than two guards.  From a depth perspective we were already set even running three guards and planning on Butler/Jones/Fulce/Williams to play 4 and 5 exclusively.  It looks good on paper if we just bring in one more 4/5 type player, but we don't look undersized on paper this year with healthy 6'10" and 7'2" players and a 6'1" point guard penciled in as the starter either.

Big Daddy Z

• Starter
« Reply #94 on: January 30, 2010, 06:27:43 PM »
Ballers from Philly are tough kids...he can help with depth and toughness.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 30, 2010, 06:29:11 PM »
The more recent articles list him at 6-4 195.  The video seems to to confirm that.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 30, 2010, 06:38:31 PM »
The more recent articles list him at 6-4 195.  The video seems to to confirm that.

Thanks for the info.  Let's hope that's the case.  Nice size in that case.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 30, 2010, 06:39:54 PM »
  Agreed, this kid is from a tough bball town. Wondering why Nova/temple didnt grab him.
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2010, 06:52:11 PM »

Agreed.  We should sign a center that is not a huge project.  I hear there are plenty of them left!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #99 on: January 30, 2010, 06:53:42 PM »
Ballers from Philly are tough kids...

I learned that from the intro theme to Fresh Prince of Bel-Aire

feedback