[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Newbill-New 2010 Commit?  (Read 65874 times)

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
Re: DJ Newbill-New 2010 Commit?
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »
I think that's terrible sportsmanship on the losing coach's part. You're tossing my guys a savage beating and am helpless to stop you so I'll just threaten to quit to make you play a less dominant style of ball. Weak.

What a joke.

There are some EXTREME mismatches in high school ball.  The coach of the winning team should have played a token zone with no ball pressure.  

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2010, 02:59:11 PM »
What a joke.

There are some EXTREME mismatches in high school ball.  The coach of the winning team should have played a token zone with no ball pressure.  

Cosign.   This was like a HS team beating up a grade school team.    If I've got a kid on the winning team, I bitch at the coach for not teaching some GD sportsmanship to my kid.   There's a time to show some class and mercy.   37-0 is past time to call off the full court press.

Kudos to the other coach for sticking up for his team, who let's remember, are 14-17 year old boys.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 03:00:59 PM by mu_hilltopper »

GGGG

• All American
Re: New 2010 Commit-DJ Newbill
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2010, 02:59:55 PM »
I know I'm in the minority on this, but even in HS basketball (unless you're playing an academy for the blind, or something like that), if you don't want the other team to run up the score:  stop them.

What lesson are you teaching your kids?  That you keep pummeling people when they are down?  

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Philly guard commits to MU
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2010, 03:00:04 PM »
Philly guard commits to MU

More good news for the Marquette Golden Eagles:

D.J. Newbill, a 6-foot-4 guard from Strawberry Mansion High School in Philadelphia, has orally committed to play for MU next season.

Newbill, who scored 64 points in a game earlier this month, will join Vander Blue, Jamail Jones and Reggie Smith in the Golden Eagles' 2010-'11 recruiting class once he signs in the spring.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/83161592.html

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Coach Douche
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 03:00:24 PM »
Wow .. what a game story .. 105-14 .. they were full court pressing until 37-0 when the (losing) coach said he'd get two technicals and go home if they didn't stop pressing.

What terrible sportsmanship on the winning coach's side.   D-bag.

There was a story the other day of a coach who's team was up 30 points and he was purposely fouling the other team in order to get more possessions in an attempt to score 100 points.  

If I find it, I'll post it.  What is wrong with these people?

EDIT:  Here it is    http://deadspin.com/5454807/sportsmanship-fail-up-big-team-fouls-to-reach-100

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 03:02:34 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2010, 03:03:25 PM »
I didn't say it was good sportsmanship from the winning coach. I didn't say that it should be encouraged to run up the score like that. All I said is that threatening to quit is NOT a sportsmanlike way of changing a game outcome.

CrazyEcho

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2010, 03:14:05 PM »

What lesson are you teaching your kids?  That you keep pummeling people when they are down?  

Begging for mercy is not going to be an acceptable strategy in life. 

If I were coaching a team, would I "call off the dogs" if we were winning 37-0?  Yes.

If I were coaching a team and was losing 37-0 would I expect the other coach to "call off the dogs?"  No. 

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Philly guard commits to MU
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2010, 03:14:50 PM »
Is it really good news?

There is a post somewhere here or on Scout that says a writer for NBE (?) said something along the lines of "hope they realize he isn't a Big East talent". 

What other schools were after him?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2010, 03:14:59 PM »
Not getting this. Will we play 4 or 5 guards at a time next year?

We need bigs!
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2010, 03:18:47 PM »
Is it really good news?

There is a post somewhere here or on Scout that says a writer for NBE (?) said something along the lines of "hope they realize he isn't a Big East talent". 

Once again another douche bag post by Douchey and Douchey
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2010, 03:19:41 PM »
I'm sure we'll figure out more about him in the next few days.  However, Buzz seems to have an eye for guards.  He's given me no reason to believe Newbill won't fit in on MU's team somehow.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 03:20:41 PM »
Begging for mercy is not going to be an acceptable strategy in life. 

If I were coaching a team, would I "call off the dogs" if we were winning 37-0?  Yes.

If I were coaching a team and was losing 37-0 would I expect the other coach to "call off the dogs?"  No. 

Oh I agree with that too.  Bad on both sides.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 03:22:04 PM »

We need bigs!

Not if they suck.

Buzz wants guys that can contribute by BE season next year. Most likely looking for a 4 at this point.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2010, 03:25:10 PM »
Once again another douche bag post by Douchey and Douchey

It's a legit question he asks.  Buzz is not infallible. 

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 03:26:53 PM »
Guys.. he's a five star.. says so on his shirt.. why would we pass up on that??!!
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2010, 03:27:33 PM »
Is it really good news?

According to this site, here is where he was offered  http://www.recruitrecon.com/index.php?option=com_recruit&task=showplayerprofile&id=238

Rider
Drexel
Nebraska
East Carolina
Marquette
LaSalle
James Madison
Niagra
Florida State

Was being looked at by DePaul, St. Joe's, Temple

ESPN has him as an 80, which isn't that great    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=101225&season=2010

You can see by this list, anyone between an 80 and 90 is generally a mid major type.  Let's hope this is a diamond in the rough

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/prospects?pos=null&state=PA&status=null&toggle=null&season=2010&sortBy=weight

« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 03:30:03 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2010, 03:27:53 PM »
Interesting signing, but sounds like this guy can really play.  Looks like Buzz might go let Junior and Reggie play point (with help from Blue and Buycks), put Blue and Buycks and Newbill as 2s, and then have DJO at the 3.  DJO and Jimmy have probably earned 30 mins each at the forward spot with EWill and Jones splitting the rest of the time.

We do need size in at all times if Jimmy, Jones, and EWill are playing the forward spot.  Losing Lazar is huge, so this idealistic JUCO that we are picking up needs to produce.  I would always want to see Fulce, Otule, Mbao, and JUCO big in at the 5 and never push Jimmy to the 5.

Newbill's addition is nice.  Another talented scorer.  Develop Otule and we can honestly contend for the Big East title when DJO is a senior and Blue is a soph.  Hopefully some big man will see that.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2010, 03:28:25 PM »
We pulled out the win with Acker, Coobey, DJO, Buycks and Butler.  If we can compete with a small lineup, I will settle with that.  Take the right person and get the people that will give you the best chance to win.  It would be great if we were as tall as Georgetown and UCONN.  But heck if we beat them with a small lineup, that is sweet enough for me.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2010, 03:30:11 PM »
We pulled out the win with Acker, Coobey, DJO, Buycks and Butler.  If we can compete with a small lineup, I will settle with that.  Take the right person and get the people that will give you the best chance to win.  It would be great if we were as tall as Georgetown and UCONN.  But heck if we beat them with a small lineup, that is sweet enough for me.

Lazar carried us today though for most of the game.  Having a strong guy out there is absolutely necessary.  Unless a 5 star guard wants to come to MU, a big man is a MUST.  Small lineups can beat some ranked teams on the road, but not many or consistently. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2010, 03:32:36 PM »
Ah....the trick is not to search for DJ Newbill, but rather Devonte Newbill

With that, I found this form the NBE basketball report blog
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/2009/07/09/reebok-all-american-camp-update-iii/
- Devonte Newbill is seeing his stock rise this spring and summer. Playing at nearby Strawberry Mansion HS in Philly, Newbill did not have a lot of interest from colleges last winter, but that is changing. Marquette is showing interest in the 6-foot-3 guard in the class of 2010 and so has been DePaul. LaSalle, Drexel, Temple, Niagara and Nebraska are also very interested in following him, too.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

gumbyandpokey

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2010, 03:34:27 PM »
According to this site, here is where he was offered  http://www.recruitrecon.com/index.php?option=com_recruit&task=showplayerprofile&id=238

Rider
Drexel
Nebraska
East Carolina
Marquette
LaSalle
James Madison
Niagra
Florida State

Was being looked at by DePaul, St. Joe's, Temple

ESPN has him as an 80, which isn't that great    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=101225&season=2010

You can see by this list, anyone between an 80 and 90 is generally a mid major type.  Let's hope this is a diamond in the rough

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/prospects?pos=null&state=PA&status=null&toggle=null&season=2010&sortBy=weight

Thanks for the info, Chicos.  Looking at that list, he does seem to be a mid major talent.  I just hope Buzz wasn't overly impressed by his scoring ability vs inferior competition.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2010, 03:34:40 PM »
ive said it a number of times no way we needed 2 bigs with the two open scholies.  Now if we sign another guard I will question buzz but I fully expect a 4 witht he next scholie, preferrably a Juco

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2010, 03:39:35 PM »
It's a legit question he asks.  Buzz is not infallible. 

Chicos - Based on your posting history, your basketball IQ isn't very high.  You write well and articulate things well, which leads me to believe your overall IQ is very respectable -  but when it comes to basketball, you aren't well equipped.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2010, 03:40:59 PM »
I've always been interested in which other schools were involved in recruiting a player.  The list Chicos put up doesn't necessarily put my mind at ease about the signing (see Roseboro).  That being said, I do trust Buzz and hope that this signing works out.

feedback