[Today at 10:10:34 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by tower912
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: DJ Newbill-New 2010 Commit?  (Read 65490 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] Philly guard commits to MU
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2010, 03:43:50 PM »
Chicos - Based on your posting history, your basketball IQ isn't very high.  You write well and articulate things well, which leads me to believe your overall IQ is very respectable -  but when it comes to basketball, you aren't well equipped.

Cmon now....you got all "douchey" when someone had the audacity to question a recruiting decision on a message board.  Are we supposed to just say "YAY!!!   Great addition Buzz!!!" without question?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2010, 03:45:27 PM »
Chicos - Based on your posting history, your basketball IQ isn't very high.  You write well and articulate things well, which leads me to believe your overall IQ is very respectable -  but when it comes to basketball, you aren't well equipped.

Sigh...yeah, you nailed it.    Afterall, I haven't even offered an opinion on this, simply stating what other sites are saying, but you sure nailed it.   ::)

chapman

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2010, 03:47:28 PM »

Last I checked, Chicos isn't the site admin for any of the numerous sites he's cited as sources (thanks Chicos btw, this guy has as much info out there as farm boys from my high school).  Nor is he calling someone else a douche for suggesting that Buzz isn't an infallable recruiter that has made and is capable of making only single mistake with Roseboro.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2010, 03:49:11 PM »

Cmon now....you got all "douchey" when someone had the audacity to question a recruiting decision on a message board.  Are we supposed to just say "YAY!!!   Great addition Buzz!!!" without question?
Sorry Sultan - If you were to look at all of Gumby's posts, it is clear he is either:  A) A Badger fan/troll, B) The most negative MU "fan" that exists.  As for Chico's, he talks about Shirley Temples and Cheescake Factory..and annoyingly continues to defend any and all things Tom Crean - 2 years after he left MU.  Give it a rest already.  
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2010, 03:49:44 PM »
this guy has as much info out there as farm boys from my high school

Like I said, the trick is to search for Devonte Newbill instead of DJ Newbill.  DJ is just his nickname.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2010, 03:54:33 PM »
Last I checked, Chicos isn't the site admin for any of the numerous sites he's cited as sources (thanks Chicos btw, this guy has as much info out there as farm boys from my high school).  Nor is he calling someone else a douche for suggesting that Buzz isn't an infallable recruiter that has made and is capable of making only single mistake with Roseboro.

Fair enough - That said I trust Buzz quite a bit.  He's come in and done a GREAT job coaching and recruiting.  Furthermore, at this stage of the signing period for 2010 - it isn't like you are going to get a Top 100 kid, or a quality BIG.  All those players, and most of the Top 150 are signed already.  Comparing this recruit to Roseboro, or citing Roseboro as an example of Buzz's recruiting prowess/talent evaluation are apples and oranges.  This kid plays in Philly, is Black (sorry if that offends some), and is probably one of the better still -available players to sign. 
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2010, 03:54:48 PM »
Not much more out there, I've been searching.

ESPN has him 177th Shooting Guard

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/prospects?state=PA&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fprospects%3fstate%3dPA

I found a few snippets of him as a sophomore in high school and club ball, but not a ton of information.  A few mentions of him on the Pennsylvania high school message boards.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2010, 03:57:50 PM »
Sorry Sultan - If you were to look at all of Gumby's posts, it is clear he is either:  A) A Badger fan/troll, B) The most negative MU "fan" that exists.  As for Chico's, he talks about Shirley Temples and Cheescake Factory..and annoyingly continues to defend any and all things Tom Crean - 2 years after he left MU.  Give it a rest already.  

I don't care who he is.  It's a message board.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »

I'll defend ANYONE when attacked with falsehoods.  Attack with facts, and there is nothing to defend.  It's pretty simple.  

I think some people would like to know if this is a legitimate scholarship to use.  One of the things Crean did very poorly (there I go defending him again) was using scholarships on "reach" players rather than banking it.  Sometimes it worked, but more often it didn't.  Hopefully this isn't the case.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 04:00:15 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2010, 03:58:58 PM »
I'm going to wait and see but he looks like he could be a nice bench warmer, however with some time in the system and time with Todd Smith maybe he can contribute.  

We didn't expect much out of Jimmy and look how he is playing......while not overly hopeful I have respect for Buzz's ability to scout talent sans Roseboro.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »
Fair enough - That said I trust Buzz quite a bit.  He's come in and done a GREAT job coaching and recruiting.  Furthermore, at this stage of the signing period for 2010 - it isn't like you are going to get a Top 100 kid, or a quality BIG.  All those players, and most of the Top 150 are signed already.  Comparing this recruit to Roseboro, or citing Roseboro as an example of Buzz's recruiting prowess/talent evaluation are apples and oranges.  This kid plays in Philly, is Black (sorry if that offends some), and is probably one of the better still -available players to sign. 

Oh my...

Look, you can either play or you can't.  Marquette has had plenty of white, small town guys who could play, and plenty of black, urban guys who couldn't.  The fact is that Buzz definitely made a mistake with Roseboro.  Hopefully he won't make more.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2010, 04:01:25 PM »
Maybe he will grow 2 inches in the off season and be 6'6.   Happens a fair amount.  I think Buzz likes his 3 pt offense when its full of shooters and not gunners.

It is very important that Otule have a breakout year next year and Mbao be good for 10 min a game.  I think EWill will get his 12-18 min a game next year too.  Mr. Jones will also get a lot of freshman PT.   Get another project frosh big or a JC big and all those guys will allow Jimmy Butler to have a fine senior season.

marquette99

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2010, 04:02:01 PM »
Its meant a lot to have a 6-3 guard like buycks who can rebound.  If we are going to keep ending up with 3-guard sets, its nice to have one or two of them be in that 6-3 to 6-5 range.  Buzz isn't infallable, but the guy clearly has an incredible eye for big east tallent, as evidenced by the incredibly fast reload with butler, buycks and djo.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »
Not much more out there, I've been searching.

ESPN has him 177th Shooting Guard

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/prospects?state=PA&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fprospects%3fstate%3dPA

I found a few snippets of him as a sophomore in high school and club ball, but not a ton of information.  A few mentions of him on the Pennsylvania high school message boards.

So, he is rated much lower than Bowen?   :-\

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2010, 04:04:08 PM »
Maybe he will grow 2 inches in the off season and be 6'6.   Happens a fair amount.  I think Buzz likes his 3 pt offense when its full of shooters and not gunners.

It is very important that Otule have a breakout year next year and Mbao be good for 10 min a game.  I think EWill will get his 12-18 min a game next year too.  Mr. Jones will also get a lot of freshman PT.   Get another project frosh big or a JC big and all those guys will allow Jimmy Butler to have a fine senior season.

If you are expecting a "breakout" year from Otule, and 10 mpg from Mbao...then you will likely be disappointed.

Frankly, I would be surprised if those two combine for more than 15 mpg next year.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2010, 04:06:08 PM »
I'll defend ANYONE when attacked with falsehoods.  Attack with facts, and there is nothing to defend.  It's pretty simple.  

I think some people would like to know if this is a legitimate scholarship to use.  One of the things Crean did very poorly (there I go defending him again) was using scholarships on "reach" players rather than banking it.  Sometimes it worked, but more often it didn't.  Hopefully this isn't the case.

Okay - Why do you defend Tom Crean, who was on the phone with his MU recruits (Williams, Taylor) trying to get them to follow him to Indiana, and break their commitment to MU.  That is just sleazy.  Period.  Not to mention leaving his Big 3, the year before their senior season.  TC was getting paid about as high as any coach in the country, had all the support you could want..and ditches MU.  To be clear, I'm glad he's gone, but his exit was about as classless as you can have.  I believe his biggest gift to MU was Buzz Williams.  

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2010, 04:12:37 PM »
If you are expecting a "breakout" year from Otule, and 10 mpg from Mbao...then you will likely be disappointed.

Frankly, I would be surprised if those two combine for more than 15 mpg next year.

There is a significance difference in meaning between the word IMPORTANT and EXPECTING.

Markusquette

• All American
Re: DJ Newbill-New 2010 Commit?
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2010, 04:13:33 PM »
Why don't we just wait until we see these kids on court?  I mean it seemed by popular consensus that Maymon would be our biggest incoming contributor, and we knew little about DJO, so expectations weren't that high.  See how that turned out?

I'm not saying Maymon wouldn't have been a valuable asset (even this year), but it just goes to show us that rankings don't mean everything.  We can pick out the top recruits, but once it gets out of the top 50 range, it's really hard to predict how any one will play.  With that said, I hope Newbill turns out to be the player that Buzz believes he can be.  I don't want to jump the gun on anyone's expected contributions.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2010, 04:17:02 PM »

Oh my...

Look, you can either play or you can't.  Marquette has had plenty of white, small town guys who could play, and plenty of black, urban guys who couldn't.  The fact is that Buzz definitely made a mistake with Roseboro.  Hopefully he won't make more.
Good point about Diener, Novak, Pieper, et al -and yes, Rosboro was a mistake.  They happen in recruiting on occasion.  All this said, I'm still putting my money on a taking a "reach" with a Black player (who plays in Philadelphia), considering about 85% of Top 25 men's College Basketball teams are black...and most of the best basketball players come from urban environments...as opposed to a Roseboro "reach" comparison.  You look at Novak, Diener, Pieper - they were all the state player of the year..Roseboro, not so much in PA.  

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2010, 04:27:48 PM »
Keep in mind, with the guards we have, he doesn't have to be a homerun.  As long is he is someone that can log some minutes and be productive he'll be fine.  It would be nice to have a bench filled with McDonald's All Americans, but that's not going to happen.  If he is a guy that could be a mid-major star, he can certainly be a contributing guard off MU's bench.

Clam Crowder

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2010, 04:33:31 PM »
Here's a scary thought. Is a guess currently on the team or committed possibly leaving?

What is meant by that?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2010, 04:39:43 PM »
Keep in mind, with the guards we have, he doesn't have to be a homerun.  As long is he is someone that can log some minutes and be productive he'll be fine.  It would be nice to have a bench filled with McDonald's All Americans, but that's not going to happen.  If he is a guy that could be a mid-major star, he can certainly be a contributing guard off MU's bench.

+1 - There seem to be some really naive basketball minds here..who think at this point in the recrutiing season you are going to land a McD's All American or Top 100-150 player.  If not this kid, then who..as far as what is available out there? 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2010, 04:44:52 PM »
Here's a scary thought. Is a guess currently on the team or committed possibly leaving?

What is meant by that?

I thought the same thing ... Could someone be leaving and Buzz is looking to fill a hole?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2010, 04:51:30 PM »
I thought the same thing ... Could someone be leaving and Buzz is looking to fill a hole?

Doubt it...but worth a thought. If so, who would be the most likely candidate to leave?  Probably pointless to speculate..but?  Can't see DJO or Buycks, doubt Reggie Smith or Jamial Jones...Blue is signed and all comments from him and his Mom (after the Maymon transfer) didn't give any evidence that his commitment could be wavering.  So...probably just a little paranoia, and not likely anyone is leaving.

swimmer

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2010, 04:54:58 PM »
I know it didn't work out, but how nice would it be to have Maymon coming back next year.  He could have been the PF type we're currently missing for next year.  It's a shame he had those delusional voices in his ear, because it was all there for him to step in for Lazar.