Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by GoldenEagles03
[April 27, 2024, 11:54:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 10:13:14 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[April 27, 2024, 07:39:53 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[April 27, 2024, 08:16:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

Why was Tim Maymon surprised that Jeronne was leaving the team?

Jeronne made the decision impulsively without consulting with his father?
MU forced Jeronne off the team impulsively with no advance notice or discussion?
Tim Maymon is not telling the truth about being "surprised"?

Author Topic: Why was Tim Mymon surprised that Jeronne was leaving MU?  (Read 5200 times)

ATWizJr

• All American
Why was Tim Mymon surprised that Jeronne was leaving MU?
« on: December 21, 2009, 09:57:08 AM »
I'd say, option 3.  He is obfuscating.

🏀

• All American
Re: Why was Tim Mymon surprised that Jeronne was leaving MU?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 09:58:48 AM »
TM had to create a story for his son's personal spin. I'm sure they are trying to hide his ridiculousness from other potential locations.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 10:12:24 AM »
Do we really need this poll?

He's gone.

That's it.

No need to publicly speculate about his father or any other members of his family.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 10:27:38 AM »
I smell mendacity in this room!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 10:36:03 AM »
Last Monday evening  TM claimed to be unaware of any problems Jeronne was experiencing at MU. He said he was driving to Milwaukee to find out what was going on, giving hope to some (myself included) that a concerned father might be stepping in to counsel a son who had made an irrational and childish decision. We now know that the father was not only present at meetings with the administration and the coaching staff earlier that day in which Jeronne was given his release, we also know that a good deal of the irrational and childish behavior was on the part of the father himself. His remarks about being "surprised" when he had known for hours that his son was off the team are/were untruthful and self serving. The only time he was surprised was when Cottingham and Buzz effectively said "no mas" and called his bluff.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 11:05:14 AM »
Last Monday evening  TM claimed to be unaware of any problems Jeronne was experiencing at MU. He said he was driving to Milwaukee to find out what was going on, giving hope to some (myself included) that a concerned father might be stepping in to counsel a son who had made an irrational and childish decision. We now know that the father was not only present at meetings with the administration and the coaching staff earlier that day in which Jeronne was given his release, we also know that a good deal of the irrational and childish behavior was on the part of the father himself. His remarks about being "surprised" when he had known for hours that his son was off the team are/were untruthful and self serving. The only time he was surprised was when Cottingham and Buzz effectively said "no mas" and called his bluff.

This.  Assuming the online papers didn't publish a complete fabrication when they quoted him, Tim Maymon was caught in a lie.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 11:17:30 AM »

He's gone.

That's it.

No need to publicly speculate about his father or any other members of his family.

While I agree that we don't "really need" this poll, do you really believe a "He's gone. That's it." explains this story to anyone's satisfaction and should serve as its beginning, middle and end? Leaving Tim Maymon out of this story would be like doing a Watergate book without including Nixon. His behavior and his statements have left him open to a certain amount of speculation. I'm unaware of other Maymon family members being called to task or even being mentioned for that matter. Maybe I missed that.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 11:31:23 AM »
While I agree that we don't "really need" this poll, do you really believe a "He's gone. That's it." explains this story to anyone's satisfaction and should serve as its beginning, middle and end? Leaving Tim Maymon out of this story would be like doing a Watergate book without including Nixon. His behavior and his statements have left him open to a certain amount of speculation. I'm unaware of other Maymon family members being called to task or even being mentioned for that matter. Maybe I missed that.

I like to think that we're doing a service to the other D-I schools that may consider a J-May transfer by documenting the Tim Maymon saga extensively.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 11:35:26 AM »
While I agree that we don't "really need" this poll, do you really believe a "He's gone. That's it." explains this story to anyone's satisfaction and should serve as its beginning, middle and end?

To a certain extent, you are right, and there are multiple threads about this topic (should people chose to participate). I just think a "poll" is going too far and is unneeded. Just my opinion.

Leaving Tim Maymon out of this story would be like doing a Watergate book without including Nixon. His behavior and his statements have left him open to a certain amount of speculation.

The Maymon situation is not even close to Watergate. I respectfully and completely disagree with this analogy.

I'm unaware of other Maymon family members being called to task or even being mentioned for that matter. Maybe I missed that.

Well, this is where we fundamentally disagree. Marquette basketball players are amateur athletes. While division 1 athletes are somewhat high profile, I don't think their families should really be subjected to a lot of public criticism.

Now, the Maymon situation is kind of a different animal because Tim has publicly injected himself into the situation by holding a press conference. Therefore, I think some speculation about Tim's role is certainly valid (thus the threads about him).

However, in general, I still feel like college athletes, and their families should be left out of the public forum.

In this case specifically, I can't really object to the threads, but the poll is taking it a little far (again, in my opinion).

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 12:04:29 PM »
While I agree that we don't "really need" this poll, do you really believe a "He's gone. That's it." explains this story to anyone's satisfaction and should serve as its beginning, middle and end?

To a certain extent, you are right, and there are multiple threads about this topic (should people chose to participate). I just think a "poll" is going too far and is unneeded. Just my opinion.

Leaving Tim Maymon out of this story would be like doing a Watergate book without including Nixon. His behavior and his statements have left him open to a certain amount of speculation.

The Maymon situation is not even close to Watergate. I respectfully and completely disagree with this analogy.

I'm unaware of other Maymon family members being called to task or even being mentioned for that matter. Maybe I missed that.

Well, this is where we fundamentally disagree. Marquette basketball players are amateur athletes. While division 1 athletes are somewhat high profile, I don't think their families should really be subjected to a lot of public criticism.

Now, the Maymon situation is kind of a different animal because Tim has publicly injected himself into the situation by holding a press conference. Therefore, I think some speculation about Tim's role is certainly valid (thus the threads about him).

However, in general, I still feel like college athletes, and their families should be left out of the public forum.

In this case specifically, I can't really object to the threads, but the poll is taking it a little far (again, in my opinion).

1.Never said nor meant to imply that this story is on the scale of a Watergate. Just pointing out that Tim Maymon is smack dab in the middle of this story. Some would even say he IS the story.
2.In your earlier post you object to speculation about Maymon family members OTHER than the father. I replied that I hadn't seen instances of this occuring. When I mentioned this you go off on a tangent about fundamental disagreements rather than providing examples of this actually taking place. I don't see where we disagree if this actually happened. Please cite examples.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 01:01:37 PM »
1.Never said nor meant to imply that this story is on the scale of a Watergate. Just pointing out that Tim Maymon is smack dab in the middle of this story. Some would even say he IS the story.
2.In your earlier post you object to speculation about Maymon family members OTHER than the father. I replied that I hadn't seen instances of this occuring. When I mentioned this you go off on a tangent about fundamental disagreements rather than providing examples of this actually taking place. I don't see where we disagree if this actually happened. Please cite examples.

I'm talking about "family" in a generic sense for all amateur athletes. I think we need to all tread lightly in these situations.

Example:
Pam Moore, Wesley Matthew's mother. When Wes signed with MU, there were wild accusations about Pam's involvement and influence with Wes on the Badger boards. I hated reading that and I felt bad for Wes (an amateur athlete) and his mom, who by all-accounts (including my own interaction with her) seemed to be a very nice person.

I would be a hypocrite for being critical of Badger fans for the speculation about his mom and not realizing that my own Alma Mater's fan base is treading in the same area here.

Now, Tim Maymon is certainly inserting himself in the story by holding a press conference, so I don't think it's crazy that fans discuss Tim's role in Jeronne's life, but I think this is a sensitive area, and don't think there needs to be a poll about it.

Again, I'm not trying to say you are wrong and I am right (no real answer here), I'm just saying that maybe a poll is going a little too far in my opinion.

Short answer = Families should be off limits, but I understand that Tim has become part of the story. However, a "poll" about an amateur athlete's father might be taking it a little far.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 02:27:53 PM »

He's gone.

That's it.

So to summarize. We both agree that we don't "really need this poll" and that we don't need to publicly speculate about Jeronne's family members who don't happen to be his father. I still don't know where or whether you've seen such speculation as I have not.
Regarding Tim, we now agree he's fair game since he himself is a major part of the story. In short, I don't see where we have any disagreement.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »
For better or worse, when we signed Jeronne we also got his father and his father insisted upon making himself part of the story, in fact, did everything he could to insinuate himself into every element of it. This makes him relevant in any discussion of the J-May saga including polls about his departure, IMO.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 03:00:51 PM »
So to summarize. We both agree that we don't "really need this poll" and that we don't need to publicly speculate about Jeronne's family members who don't happen to be his father. I still don't know where or whether you've seen such speculation as I have not.
Regarding Tim, we now agree he's fair game since he himself is a major part of the story. In short, I don't see where we have any disagreement.

I think we agree as well.

We don't need this poll, and in theory, all family members are off limits.

This is a special case where Tim involved himself in the story, however, we are approaching some sensitive territory given that almost everything is pure speculation.

Tread lightly, boys.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 03:05:25 PM »
There are 3 players in this story, MU, Jeronne, Tim. They are the only ones mentioned in the poll.  It is not off limits to ask a question involving the relevant parties.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »
I think we agree as well.

We don't need this poll, and in theory, all family members are off limits.

This is a special case where Tim involved himself in the story, however, we are approaching some sensitive territory given that almost everything is pure speculation.

Tread lightly, boys.

Agreed.  speculation based upon rumors, opinions and 3rd/4rth hand "information" is truly silly and not beneficial to anyone.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 03:39:44 PM »
There are 3 players in this story, MU, Jeronne, Tim. They are the only ones mentioned in the poll.  It is not off limits to ask a question involving the relevant parties.

I can't disagree, because you are right. They are all part of the story.

But, discussing the topic with your friend at a bar is your business, and isn't a big deal.

Creating a public poll on a Marquette Basketball forum (that is easily found on google) is a lot more public and I think we are getting into dangerous territory.

Put it this way, most of us are able to hide behind our "handles" on this forum. We wouldn't be very excited to have our real names given out, much less have the entire board vote on our personal activities/decisions.

Again, I understand Tim Maymon has made himself part of the story, so he has asked for some of this speculation... but we are wandering a large gray area (in my opinion).

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 04:14:51 PM »
With all due respect, this is the electronic equivalent of discussing the topic with my friends(s).  Given, it is somewhat more public, but all forums like this feature opinion, conjecture, innuendo and this is in that vein.

bs4173

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 04:18:48 PM »
question: if, say, Central Florida or Minnesota or whichever team ends up picking up Maymon wants more information on him and his family, can/would they call Buzz?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 04:24:09 PM »
Creating a public poll on a Marquette Basketball forum (that is easily found on google) is a lot more public and I think we are getting into dangerous territory.

You do realize the more you try to discourage these topics by posting in them, the more readership they gain, and thus the more apparent notoriety that comes with being a "popular" topic.

If you think things should go away, you should probably just ignore them.  FWIW.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 04:34:10 PM »
You do realize the more you try to discourage these topics by posting in them, the more readership they gain, and thus the more apparent notoriety that comes with being a "popular" topic.

If you think things should go away, you should probably just ignore them.  FWIW.

Yes, I understand the tragic irony of it all.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 04:36:12 PM »
With all due respect, this is the electronic equivalent of discussing the topic with my friends(s).  Given, it is somewhat more public, but all forums like this feature opinion, conjecture, innuendo and this is in that vein.

I think email is the electronic equivalent of a conversation between friends.

This forum is the equivalent of talking to your friends via notes left on billboards.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 06:10:08 PM »
The poll is simply " Do you believe the father's public statements or not"  He has created the situation, spoken publically and thus is fair to discuss the veracity of his words

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2009, 08:19:18 PM »
I think email is the electronic equivalent of a conversation between friends.

This forum is the equivalent of talking to your friends via notes left on billboards.

Well said.  I always view message boards as the equivalent of yelling something on the street to be heard by everyone.

feedback