'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:41:27 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:07:56 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 12:00:22 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[April 27, 2024, 12:29:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Reggie Smith signs with MU  (Read 47590 times)

AZWarrior

• All American
Re: Reggie Smith signs with MU
« Reply #75 on: November 19, 2009, 05:18:03 PM »
#47 in RSCI.

But ... who cares?
They'll pracrice against one another every day next year. I'd like to think Buzz will decide minutes by what he sees then, not by what some recruiting guru had to say about them 12-24 months previously.
I have no idea who will play ahead of who, but if it's Smith, it wouldn't exactly be the first time a guy ranked lower by scouting services outperformed a player ranked higher.

Agreed.  And going against each other in practice will make them better.  Having two quality point guards is ideal, you can rest one and not lose anything on the court, and they'll always be fresh.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2009, 05:18:51 PM »
I have no idea who will play ahead of who, but if it's Smith, it wouldn't exactly be the first time a guy ranked lower by scouting services outperformed a player ranked higher.

Wesley Matthews would probably have some insight on that premise.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2009, 05:50:31 PM »
In a couple of years it will be 3 guards, a 6'6" PF and hopefully a developed 6'9" +.  Much like last year.  I know we want more but last year was fun!

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2009, 06:23:35 PM »
In a couple of years it will be 3 guards, a 6'6" PF and hopefully a developed 6'9" +.  Much like last year.  I know we want more but last year was fun!

A developed 6'9"+ player would have been a HUGE difference last years.  Plus I think we will have a little bit morefire power off the bench

Maybe Cadougan, Blue, Jones, and Maymon can effectively replace DJ, Jerel, Wes, and Lazar though if that is what you are getting at. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2009, 07:06:04 PM »
Trend Blackledge called, he said he would love to have you as a coach.

Maybe you should trust the reports from people that HAVE seen both play...

Trend Blackledge was a twig, Smith is built well, reminds me of Johnny Flynn.  Also to try to compare Blackeledge -  a complete afterthought on the recruiting radar - with a Top 100 kid, considered best player or one of Top 5 players in city of Chicago, who is said to be the most athletic the city has seen since Derrick Rose...I'll take my chances.  I've seen both of their YouTube videos, and while I hope Junior turns out to be great, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Smith have the better overall careery at MU.

Lastly, you come off pretty pompous and all-knowing, might want to re-evaluate your all-knowing attitude, because if Smith comes in and outperforms Cadougan over the course of their careers, myself and Stone Cold are going to own you.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2009, 07:11:46 PM »
Trend Blackledge was a twig, Smith is built well, reminds me of Johnny Flynn.  Also to try to compare Blackeledge -  a complete afterthought on the recruiting radar - with a Top 100 kid, considered best player or one of Top 5 players in city of Chicago, who is said to be the most athletic the city has seen since Derrick Rose...I'll take my chances.  I've seen both of their YouTube videos, and while I hope Junior turns out to be great, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Smith have the better overall careery at MU.

Lastly, you come off pretty pompous and all-knowing, might want to re-evaluate your all-knowing attitude, because if Smith comes in and outperforms Cadougan over the course of their careers, myself and Stone Cold are going to own you.

This is funny.

Are you really going to justify your argument by saying "ive seen both of their youtube videos..."?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:14:56 PM by GOMU1104 »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2009, 07:24:31 PM »

This is funny.

Are you really going to justify your argument by saying "ive seen both of their youtube videos..."?

YouTube isn't good enough for you?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2009, 07:32:37 PM »

This is funny.

Actually, my justification was stated in the fact that he is considered the best player in the City of Chicago, the most athletic the city has seen since Derrick Rose.  In my previous post I'd stated that players with this kind of athletic ability don't necessarily need to be great shooters, to be great point guards - they can create going to the rack, for themself or others by drawing and kicking.  D-Wade was/is so great because he could beat anyone off the dribble - this kid appears to have the same ability.  As I said, I hope Caudogan has a great career at MU..but to just dismiss Smith as the 5th guard as you did in earlier post seems premature.  Keep in mind this kid has his whole senior season to develop and next summer - and Junior will be coming off of an Achilles.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2009, 07:35:30 PM »
YouTube isn't good enough for you?

Compared to seeing a player play live, adn reading scouting reports from people that have seen him play several times...no, a youtube clip of a player dunking and hitting uncontested shots does nothing for me.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2009, 07:38:15 PM »
Compared to seeing a player play live, adn reading scouting reports from people that have seen him play several times...no, a youtube clip of a player dunking and hitting uncontested shots does nothing for me.

Exactly.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2009, 07:39:01 PM »
Actually, my justification was stated in the fact that he is considered the best player in the City of Chicago, the most athletic the city has seen since Derrick Rose.  In my previous post I'd stated that players with this kind of athletic ability don't necessarily need to be great shooters, to be great point guards - they can create going to the rack, for themself or others by drawing and kicking.  D-Wade was/is so great because he could beat anyone off the dribble - this kid appears to have the same ability.  As I said, I hope Caudogan has a great career at MU..but to just dismiss Smith as the 5th guard as you did in earlier post seems premature.  Keep in mind this kid has his whole senior season to develop and next summer - and Junior will be coming off of an Achilles.

Please show me where/who said he is the best player in the city of Chicago.  

Listen...I am happy with this commitment, I thought the 2010 class was in need of another guard, and thats what Buzz got.  I thought he was the best option of the guards left.

I think he fills a need...but to expect him to come in and challenge for the starting PG duties, in front of Cadougan and Blue is just dumb.  He is a 5th guard, with great athleticisim and a good upside.  He still needs to develop his guard skills though

Not to mention...building the relationship with the Mac Irvin Fire will hopefully pay dividends down the road!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 07:50:28 PM by GOMU1104 »

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2009, 07:43:54 PM »
I don't understand why it had been soooo hard for us to sign a legit PF or C? You'd think at this point, they would look at our roster and see that they would have a great chance of coming in as a freshman and starting.

We have a history of being a guard dominated team.,  Buzz is turning the corner on that perception in a sense by working very very hard at getting a big and knowing what we need to complete the puzzle.  But it is a tough task.

I agree - a quality big can look at this program now with what we will be loaded with next year and think, wow - maybe I should go to MU.  Hope we do land the big one!  I think we will.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2009, 07:49:40 PM »

Listen...I am happy with this commitment, I thought the 2010 class was in need of another guard, and thats what Buzz got.  I thought he was the best option of the guards left.

I think he fills a need...but to expect him to come in and challenge for the starting PG duties, in front of Cadougan and Blue is just dumb.  He is a 5th guard, with great athleticisim and a good upside.  He still needs to develop his guard skills though

He still has his whole senior year before he even gets here.  Stop making proclamations about his play level 365 days from now when you've never seen him play in person and are going off others reports.  You have no idea his current skill level or how far he's come in 2, 3 years and how well or not well he has progressed.   

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2009, 07:54:16 PM »
He still has his whole senior year before he even gets here.  Stop making proclamations about his play level 365 days from now when you've never seen him play in person and are going off others reports.  You have no idea his current skill level or how far he's come in 2, 3 years and how well or not well he has progressed.   

Im basing my thoughts on reports from several people who have seen him play several times...In addition, I have seen Junior play several times.

What do you have, that makes you think Smith will contend for the starting PG spot?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2009, 07:58:59 PM »
And for the record I'm not saying who will be starting, Smith or Cadougan.  I wish both the best but off the reports I've seen on Smith from people who've seen him play he sounds like a damn good player.   I'm not qualified to say who is better in 365 days..

But I'm damn sure 1104 doesn't know either unless he's seen cadougan and smith play extensively and can determine what their skill progress will be over the next year.

Also Cadougan's not going to be playing ball for many months so lets just hope the kid can regain his form and this injury doesn't stick with him for his career because it will end his career if so. 

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2009, 08:01:45 PM »
This just will prepare to avoid a situation like DJ or Diener, as we will have sooo much depth, another guy can just step right in!

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2009, 08:12:52 PM »

Not to mention...building the relationship with the Mac Irvin Fire will hopefully pay dividends down the road!

Ironically, it was the Mac Irvin Fire coach who said:  I'll tell you one thing about Reggie Smith," Irvin said. "When it's all said and done, he's going to make some money playing basketball. His athleticism is off the charts. He's the one who has continually got better every year."  see:  http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/teams/preps/story?id=4534038

Or from Marquette Hoops.com/Scout:  If it’s not too bold to say, Smith looks a lot like Dominic James with his athleticism and ability to drive. Like James, Smith can struggle with his outside shot at times but the talent and potential is there for him to improve on that part of his game.

Smith will play his senior year for Thornton High School in Harvey, IL. His AAU team, Mac Irvin Fire, was considered one of the best in Illinois last year with Smith and University of Illinois recruits Crandall Head and Jerome Richmond.

Looking to the 2010 back court, Smith is a great compliment to redshirted freshman Junior Cadougan. More of a pass first point guard, Cadougan will rotate with Smith at the point guard spot and create a great mismatch with the two different styles of play. The signing of Smith most likely moves 2010 recruit Vander Blue to shooting guard, although his versatility will also allow him to handle the ball.

Ranked 105th according to Rivals.com and the 35th best point guard according to Scout.com, Smith isn’t a top-tier recruit that pushes Marquette’s recruiting class into the top five for 2010. However, another top 100 recruit that has the potential to blossom as he molds into a point guard is exactly what Williams was looking for to fill one of the two roster spots for next year. As usual, Williams and the Marquette staff semi-flew under the radar with the recruiting of Smith as many expected he was leaning towards USC.

See:  http://marquette.scout.com/2/921450.html

As far as him being the best player in the city of Chicago - when you are the best player, on the #1 ranked team, in the largest Division of Illinois High School Basketball, consensus pre-season 1st Team All-State - that speaks pretty highly of the kid.  Furthermore, his recruitment had really intensified recently with USC, UCLA offering..pretty good company.

We can agree to disagree as to who will be the better player - both Junior and Smith bode well for Marquette.  That said, I'm going to let you have it a couple years down the road should Smith turn out to be much better...only because you were so definite about this kid being the #5 guard and telling me/Stone Cold that I should take it from someone who's seen both Junior and Smith play.  You'll notice in my original post I stated I hadn't seen either play - being humble and honest - and you ridiculed me making the YouTube comment.  All I can say is that if Smith becomes the better player, be ready for a Big Slice of humble pie - because I will have projected off of what I've read and what I've seen on YouTube..which of course according to you is so ridiculous.

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2009, 08:17:52 PM »
Trend Blackledge was a twig, Smith is built well, reminds me of Johnny Flynn.  Also to try to compare Blackeledge -  a complete afterthought on the recruiting radar - with a Top 100 kid, considered best player or one of Top 5 players in city of Chicago, who is said to be the most athletic the city has seen since Derrick Rose...I'll take my chances. 

Ners, you might want to do some fact checking.  Reggie Smith is not in the top 100 for Scout, ESPN, or Rivals.  Second, he is not the best player in Illinois, Jereme Richmond is, hands down (RSCI #18).  Meyers Leonard and Crandall Head are #s 2 and 3 also, FYI.  Anthony Johnson is also ranked ahead of Reggie Smith on Rivals.

Johnny Flynn was a 5 star recruit, and Reggie has a lot of polish left to get to JF's level.  That being said, Reggie's athleticism will be a benefit, I love good defenders, and if he develops his skills it sounds like he can be a pretty devastating PG.  My expectations are somewhat tempered because developing PG skills to a high level is not an easy thing to do.  I think having polish is most important at the PG position so the offense runs smoothly and you don' t turn the ball over.

Also, can you post a Derek rose comparison link?  The only comparison I have seen between the two is mentioning that he is very soft spoken and introverted like Rose is/was.

Overall, I am looking forward to Reggie joining the team, hope he develops into a full time PG (in Buzz's words).  Welcome to MU Reggie.

With all the above being said, there is a 25% that I screwed up at least one of the facts in the above posting and bma will come on and correct me  :)
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 19, 2009, 08:21:19 PM »
The only way Smith starts ahead of Junior is if Junior gets hurt again or for some reason leaves Marquette.  Smith is a freak athlete, but does not have real point guard skills yet despite what the articles are saying to the contrary, and those are not the kind of thing you can develop in a year or two.  Point guards are born, not made. 

And yes, I have seen both of them play in person.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #94 on: November 19, 2009, 08:22:55 PM »
Here's another link from ESPN Chicago.

"Smith said his top three choices are Marquette, UCLA and USC, with USC slightly in the lead. He will attend USC's Midnight Madness later this month."

Not bad company!

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/teams/preps/story?id=4534038

No doubt the Milwaukee winters swayed his decision.

Seriously, I'm sure playing close to home and in the Big East were big factors. His family can come to all his home games.
We Are Marquette

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 19, 2009, 08:23:44 PM »
Im SHOCKED that his AAU coach (a charachter in his own right) would talk his player up like that!

NERS...Way to pick and chose things from an article, to prove your point...but whatever.

He was likely a 3rd option as a recruit for UCLA.

Listen...he has great athleticisim, but has to refine his game to become a PG at this level.

Again, I may sound like an ass...But Im just trying to temper expectations a little bit. Be realistic.  I do like the commit, I'm just not going to go overboard.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 19, 2009, 08:31:50 PM »
For as much as this was (over-)discusssed in the past, I am surprised there hasn't been more Kudos to Buzz for getting a solid Chicago prospect!!!

Welcome Reggie.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 08:33:57 PM by DLange_MU »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 19, 2009, 08:54:47 PM »
Ners, you might want to do some fact checking.  Reggie Smith is not in the top 100 for Scout, ESPN, or Rivals.  Second, he is not the best player in Illinois, Jereme Richmond is, hands down (RSCI #18).  Meyers Leonard and Crandall Head are #s 2 and 3 also, FYI.  Anthony Johnson is also ranked ahead of Reggie Smith on Rivals.

Johnny Flynn was a 5 star recruit, and Reggie has a lot of polish left to get to JF's level.  That being said, Reggie's athleticism will be a benefit, I love good defenders, and if he develops his skills it sounds like he can be a pretty devastating PG.  My expectations are somewhat tempered because developing PG skills to a high level is not an easy thing to do.  I think having polish is most important at the PG position so the offense runs smoothly and you don' t turn the ball over.

Also, can you post a Derek rose comparison link?  The only comparison I have seen between the two is mentioning that he is very soft spoken and introverted like Rose is/was.

Overall, I am looking forward to Reggie joining the team, hope he develops into a full time PG (in Buzz's words).  Welcome to MU Reggie.

With all the above being said, there is a 25% that I screwed up at least one of the facts in the above posting and bma will come on and correct me  :)

Point well taken..but he was ranked 105..not quite Top 100 I guess..and there is a lot of variance/subjectivity in rankings.  That said the Top 2 players you mentioned:  Meyers Leonard and Crandall Head are #s 2 and 3 also..were teammates of Smith on their AAU team..and their AAU coach said that Smith will make money playing ball one day, and has developed and continued to get better and better out of all of his guys.

Go MU1104 - Fair enough..all good..we are all Marquette fans..and want the best for the program.  I've lurked on this board for awhile and BMA seems to have the most credibility and if he says Cadougan will be the point..I'll take his word on that...but I still remain very positive that my intuition will be correct that Smith will end up being the better player.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 19, 2009, 09:01:26 PM »
Also...as I said before...I like this commit, as it relates to the furthering the relationship with the Mac Irving Fire AAU team.

J-May's friendship with Blue played a part. Hopefully Smith and Wayne Blackshear have that type of friendship, as well!

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #99 on: November 19, 2009, 09:19:20 PM »
GOMU, I wouldn't put too much stock in Reggie being a friend with Blackshear.  My Illini friends talk about how Tracy Abrams, Crandall Head, and Jereme Richmond have been working on Blackshear and Shaw for a long time...and I think most people believe there is little chance that Blackshear heads to the 'nois.

Now if we sign Shaw first...then I would start to get excited about Wayne.
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.