[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Reggie Smith signs with MU  (Read 47544 times)

bs4173

• Team Captain
Re: Reggie Smith signs with MU
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2009, 02:02:16 PM »
Those videos are great. Somebody might've already mentioned this, but his athleticism reminds me a lot of DJames. If he's our 5th-best....geez, not too shabby...

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #51 on: November 19, 2009, 02:04:37 PM »
It is well known, that Smith has all of the athletic ability in the world, but has to seriously work on his guard skills, and improve on those before. He has a lot of potential, but must develop.

He is the 5th guard, and a solid option for the 5th guard...but hes not competing with Cadougan for the starting PG spot.

Lets hold off on calling JC our starting PG until we see how well he recovers from his injury.  Hopefully he can keep his strength and quickness up as well as keeping his weight in check.  I'm not trying to be an ass about it, but he was a few pounds too heavy his senior year and it would be easy to lead a sedentary lifestyle with a boot on your foot.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2009, 02:12:07 PM »
Lets hold off on calling JC our starting PG until we see how well he recovers from his injury.  Hopefully he can keep his strength and quickness up as well as keeping his weight in check.  I'm not trying to be an ass about it, but he was a few pounds too heavy his senior year and it would be easy to lead a sedentary lifestyle with a boot on your foot.

maybe if Buzz wasn't watching him everyday.

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2009, 02:15:57 PM »
He knows he got viewed in Cleveland by Indiana head coach Tom Crean.

"I saw him up there," said Smith. "I have not talked to him lately but last time I talked to him he said he liked the way I have been playing and that he was looking forward to keeping in touch with me."

Touche Monsieur TanMan!

Pure speculation, but perhaps Coach Crean and/or Coach O'Neill helped us land him over UCLA--i.e. show interest and then back off and help steer. I gotta think that happens in "the fraternity."

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2009, 02:18:41 PM »

I seem to recall a certain PG (Levance Fields) in the Big East that was a bit hefty for PG, but did quite well during his time ;)

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2009, 02:23:40 PM »
I like this signing.  Looks like we are going to have to be super up-tempo team with the lack of bigs. 

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2009, 02:35:53 PM »
a nice big would really finish out the class, great get for Buzz here though

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2009, 02:43:58 PM »
I like this signing.  Looks like we are going to have to be super up-tempo team with the lack of bigs. 

Sounds like we will have the tools to do it. As far as the bigs, I agree it sure would be nice to have a stud inside. That said, it isn't like everyone has one. Although they have a long way to go, just having Otule's  and Yous' height alone will be beneficial. That size along with some muscle inside at 6'6"-6'7" should be serviceable. I realize we are looking to move into that upper echelon, but I don't think a 6'10 monster is a prerequisite--there just aren't that many of them around.

Time will tell, but it seems to me the depth of talent on the roster the next couple years will be a big improvement over what we are accustomed to.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2009, 02:54:31 PM »
Heck, I could be happy with a solid 6'5" power forward, if his name was Charles Barkley (well not anymore)   ::)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

GoldenWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2009, 02:56:13 PM »
Sounds like we will have the tools to do it. As far as the bigs, I agree it sure would be nice to have a stud inside. That said, it isn't like everyone has one. Although they have a long way to go, just having Otule's  and Yous' height alone will be beneficial. That size along with some muscle inside at 6'6"-6'7" should be serviceable. I realize we are looking to move into that upper echelon, but I don't think a 6'10 monster is a prerequisite--there just aren't that many of them around.

Time will tell, but it seems to me the depth of talent on the roster the next couple years will be a big improvement over what we are accustomed to.

Agreed, hopefully Buzz uses all of this depth that he and his staff are gathering here!!

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2009, 03:33:04 PM »
Junior is still your starting PG. Blue will be the starting #2 and will spell JC when he needs a breather. I can't see JC losing his starting gig over Blue, unless he can't do it cuz of injury. But...he has a full year to recover which is good.

A great signing today. Couldn't be happier. This is not your uncle's MU team. To see how far we've come athletically over the last 5 years is just incredible.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2009, 03:42:07 PM »
but it seems to me the depth of talent on the roster the next couple years will be a big improvement over what we are accustomed to.

This will make practive a lot more competitive than in year's past as less players' playing time is guaranteed and each player plays against better competition every day.

4thAndState

• Starter
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »
Junior is still your starting PG. Blue will be the starting #2 and will spell JC when he needs a breather. I can't see JC losing his starting gig over Blue, unless he can't do it cuz of injury. But...he has a full year to recover which is good.

A great signing today. Couldn't be happier. This is not your uncle's MU team. To see how far we've come athletically over the last 5 years is just incredible.

Agreed on the athleticism part. Where TC would recruit 5 or 6 high-major athletes (3 amegios plus a few others), Buzz is recruiting a roster full of players with tons of athletic ability.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2009, 04:06:34 PM »
Pure speculation, but perhaps Coach Crean and/or Coach O'Neill helped us land him over UCLA--i.e. show interest and then back off and help steer. I gotta think that happens in "the fraternity."

I don't know what kind of class O'Neill has coming in in 2010, but to this point Reggie Smith would be the "crown jewel" of this year's class tor Crean (his 2 commits are rated about 150 and 250). Indiana was never seen as much of a factor with Smith, but my guess is if TC had any sway with him he was using it to try to get him to Bloomington.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2009, 04:11:22 PM »
I've never seen Junior play, never seen Smith play - but I'll always put my money on pure athleticism.  Smith looks like his body and athleticism are Big East ready right now.  He looks like he will be very strong too.  I can see him giving Junior fits, just based on quicks and athleticism alone.  A guy with this kind of athletic ability doesn't need to be a great shooter as he can constantly get to the rack, and furthermore he can break down a defense easily and create draw and kick opportunities for other players - Blue, Jones, etc.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2009, 04:13:28 PM »
Sun-Times story:

http://yourseason.suntimes.com/1893601,111909-smith-commits.article

And, fwiw, I think a lot of people here are being a bit presumptuous when it comes to next year's starting backcourt.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2009, 04:14:54 PM »
I can see him giving Junior fits, just based on quicks and athleticism alone. 

Well then I guess it's a good thing they play on the same team.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2009, 04:27:54 PM »
I've never seen Junior play, never seen Smith play - but I'll always put my money on pure athleticism.  

Trend Blackledge called, he said he would love to have you as a coach.

Maybe you should trust the reports from people that HAVE seen both play...

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2009, 04:33:08 PM »
I thought I've read that Junior was considered deceptively athletic. Much more athletic than you'd think. As far as Junior's weight, many have said he came to MU looking completely different and in shape. To say him just sitting around might make him go back to his weight before I think is unfair to him. By all accounts he put in a ton of work and did a great job of getting in shape.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2009, 04:36:22 PM »
And Junior was a concensus (sp?) top 40 guy, right?  Let's not lose sight of that.
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2009, 04:38:17 PM »
I like what I hear about Smith's potential from this article:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=44236

My favorite think to hear is that he is a physical defender who can stay in front of guards.

You don't hear too much about defense when you hear about DJO, Byucks, or Junior.  I think a defensive guard is exactly what we need in games and to help develop Vander in practice next year.

If this kid is raw talent, he can play behind Byucks and DJO until they graduate and be a contributor in a few years or maybe start if Blue develops into an early draft pick.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2009, 04:42:24 PM »
I thought I've read that Junior was considered deceptively athletic. Much more athletic than you'd think. As far as Junior's weight, many have said he came to MU looking completely different and in shape. To say him just sitting around might make him go back to his weight before I think is unfair to him. By all accounts he put in a ton of work and did a great job of getting in shape.

I watched JR in the Reebok All American Game last april. Originally, there were 2 PGs on each team, he was on a team with Dexter Strickland (at UNC now). Strickland hurt his ankle in the 1st half...forcing JR to run the point for probably 34 of the 40 minutes. This was an up and down, high scoring (ended in the 120s) all star game, with some of the best players in the country...and JR held up fine, and was going hard until the end.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2009, 04:43:47 PM »
"He (Reggie Smith) is also nursing an ankle injury and could miss some time for No. 6 Thornton.

“He injured his ankle about three weeks ago,” Jackson said. “He is still waiting for clearance from the doctor. He could be back to practice Monday but he could miss the first tournament of the year.”"

Sounds like he'll fit in perfectly.  

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
And Junior was a concensus (sp?) top 40 guy, right?  Let's not lose sight of that.

#47 in RSCI.

But ... who cares?
They'll pracrice against one another every day next year. I'd like to think Buzz will decide minutes by what he sees then, not by what some recruiting guru had to say about them 12-24 months previously.
I have no idea who will play ahead of who, but if it's Smith, it wouldn't exactly be the first time a guy ranked lower by scouting services outperformed a player ranked higher.

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2009, 05:01:54 PM »
I think pinkston is going to Nova, and it's not fair to count DJO and Buycks out of a starting spot.  Buycks is the guy who Buzz talks the most highly about. I love 6 deep at the guard spot though.  I see we're in the running for Seantrell Henderson but he'll go to LSU or some Football school causes he's one of the top prospects in that sport.  And Going further who knows how many scholarships we'll have after this season, its still early but i get worried not seeing EWill getting any PT.

feedback