[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Reggie Smith signs with MU  (Read 47569 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Reggie Smith signs with MU
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 11:10:06 AM »
This goes along with Buzz saying we won't turn down a good player. Also, as was mentioned, getting back into Chicago is huge. I guess those California chicks shaking their pompons wasn't all that, aina Chicos?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 11:14:25 AM »
It's a shame Black went to Memphis... that would have been the perfect last piece to the class.

Never know what can happen with coaching changes, transfers, etc. Not saying it will happen, but what if Ernie gets the ax at Oregon, and Jamil Wilson wants to transfer? I'd definitely want that scholarship available. Again, just a hypothetical, but it's a good thing to have a scholly open in the Spring, just in case.

No problem. You can always pull a Crean and kick somebody out.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

chapman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 11:15:46 AM »
I like it a lot.  If you're going to sign another guard it's got to be someone that is capable of earning some minutes in a backcourt with Cadougan and Blue (who Buzz sounded very high on playing the point).  Smith has talent, and he's not at all a Cadougan clone, which gives him a solid shot at earning minutes.

Next signing should probably be the most talented 4/5 Buzz can still get.  I agree with MUfan12 though, having some flexibility in spring seems like a very good idea at this point, and if the best player available is a transfer it's worth the year of sitting out.

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 11:16:22 AM »
This is a great get!  I was worried that we would have a hard time finding a decent talent who would come here knowing full well that he would be in more of a back up role to Junior.  Great job Buzz!

I echo the sentiment of a previous post.  We are set for guards, let's get a big now with the last schollie!

reinko

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2009, 11:16:58 AM »
I don't understand why it had been soooo hard for us to sign a legit PF or C? You'd think at this point, they would look at our roster and see that they would have a great chance of coming in as a freshman and starting.

I don't think it's that hard to understand.  Law of supply and demand.  How many of the top 100 recruits are legit PF's or C per year?  My ball park guess is under 20.  So you take those 20, and spread them around to the the top 3 or most well known schools in the BE, ACC, SEC, PAC 10, Big 10, and Big 12...not much left.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2009, 11:17:04 AM »
Welcome to Marquette Reggie!!

Sounds like a really solid, high upside signing!  Congrats to Buzz & staff!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2009, 11:17:35 AM »
perfect signing.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2009, 11:19:28 AM »
He knows he got viewed in Cleveland by Indiana head coach Tom Crean.

"I saw him up there," said Smith. "I have not talked to him lately but last time I talked to him he said he liked the way I have been playing and that he was looking forward to keeping in touch with me."

Touche Monsieur TanMan!
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Rockmic87

• Team Captain
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 11:31:28 AM »
I don't think it's that hard to understand.  Law of supply and demand.  How many of the top 100 recruits are legit PF's or C per year?  My ball park guess is under 20.  So you take those 20, and spread them around to the the top 3 or most well known schools in the BE, ACC, SEC, PAC 10, Big 10, and Big 12...not much left.

We still have never really landed a quality big man, except for Robert Jackson who was a transfer! Like it has never happened, and you'd think a big man would see this as an opportunity to be the star right away at a BE school.

groove

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 11:36:31 AM »
We still have never really landed a quality big man, except for Robert Jackson who was a transfer! Like it has never happened, and you'd think a big man would see this as an opportunity to be the star right away at a BE school.

Jim Chones

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 11:38:12 AM »
I'd say Jimmy Mac and Damon Key were pretty good big guys.

Last year's team was a McCaskill away from being a Final 4 squad (with DJ healthy).

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 11:40:36 AM »
Nice job Buzz.   Let Reggie and Junior fight it out for starting pg, may the best man win.   

Hopefully there's a Texas big hiding at a JUCO who could be a Jimmy Butler type surprise.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 11:45:03 AM »
Hopefully there's a Texas big hiding at a JUCO who could be a Jimmy Butler type surprise.

I'm hoping Joe Fulce surprises us this season!  That would fit your wish (though I wouldn't mind having another big no matter how Fulce progresses).

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 11:51:13 AM »
I'm talking a 6'9" steal your lunch money big.   Ricardo Ratliffe if we are so lucky.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 11:54:16 AM »

Have you forgotten Scott Merritt?  He was a Top 100 big man, and the only player in school history to score 1000 points, grab 600 rebounds, block 100 shots and get 100 assists.  He doesn't get near enough credit on these boards.

Like Reinko said, there just aren't many to go around.  In total there were 8 true centers that are considered to be consensus Top 100 players this year.  Three of them committed before Buzz even took the MU job, one committed with a few months of that.  Three others committed to historical top programs like UCLA, Syracuse and Michigan State.  So that leaves a grand total of one center that is a true post player, ranked in the top 100, and uncommitted.  Unforunately, he will likely never play collegiate basketball due to amateurism issues.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2009, 12:04:46 PM »
Like Reinko said, there just aren't many to go around.  In total there were 8 true centers that are considered to be consensus Top 100 players this year.  Three of them committed before Buzz even took the MU job, one committed with a few months of that.  Three others committed to historical top programs like UCLA, Syracuse and Michigan State.  So that leaves a grand total of one center that is a true post player, ranked in the top 100, and uncommitted.  Unforunately, he will likely never play collegiate basketball due to amateurism issues.

Dang it, please quit confusing these threads with your well-informed opinions and undeniable facts.  This is an internet message board, for goodness sakes.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2009, 12:13:31 PM »
Nice job Buzz.   Let Reggie and Junior fight it out for starting pg, may the best man win.   

Smith wont be battling anyone for a starting spot.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2009, 12:14:13 PM »
Previously unposted (I think) story on the commitment from ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/news/story?id=4670906

"He's just a big, strong, physical point guard," said Reggie Rankin, ESPN Scouts Inc. recruiting coordinator for high school and college basketball. "He gets to the basket. He's athletic. He's an excellent defender. He's a good finisher. I think he could definitely learn to be a full-time point guard. I think he's a work in progress as a point guard. He's still learning how to play the game. All the physical tools are there."

Marquette has dipped into Chicago's south suburbs before and had success. Dwyane Wade, Jerel McNeal and Marquette senior Maurice Acker were recruited from the area.

"I think he could be a sleeper," Rankin said. "He's already physically ready to play. Once his skills catch up to his physical ability, he could be a guy you consider a sleeper. At this point and stage and with what's available in the Class of 2010, he's one of the better guys available."

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2009, 12:22:11 PM »
Also from that article, "...you can't beat the Big East. It's the best conference in the country."

It's nice to hear recruits say that time and time again :)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2009, 12:28:57 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQCLxVenw4

I'm taking Smith over Fulce in next years dunk contest.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NGQCLxVenw4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NGQCLxVenw4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 19, 2009, 12:36:27 PM »
It is hard to sign a good bigman, because we will be recruting against other top programs.

I think Cadougan will be backing up Blue.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2009, 12:38:16 PM »
I'm taking Smith over Fulce in next years dunk contest.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NGQCLxVenw4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NGQCLxVenw4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>
What about DJO. He said he would have beat fulce in slam dunk contest.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2009, 01:04:32 PM »
It is hard to sign a good bigman, because we will be recruting against other top programs.

I think Cadougan will be backing up Blue.

I think Smith backs up JC at PG
Blue starts at SG.
DJO and Buycks rotate.

Isn't this a great argument to discuss about six quality guards. Can't lose.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2009, 01:21:25 PM »
Smith wont be battling anyone for a starting spot.

Based on your in depth scouting of all our incoming guards?

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2009, 01:32:31 PM »
Based on your in depth scouting of all our incoming guards?

It is well known, that Smith has all of the athletic ability in the world, but has to seriously work on his guard skills, and improve on those before. He has a lot of potential, but must develop.

He is the 5th guard, and a solid option for the 5th guard...but hes not competing with Cadougan for the starting PG spot.