[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Belling Blasts Buzz  (Read 33847 times)

LON

• All American
Re: Belling Blasts Buzz
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 07:58:05 AM »
Forgive my ignorance on this. I spent four years in Milwaukee at Marquette, but have set up shop back in Chicago since. I'm not one of those who feel Chicago is big time and Milwaukee is second class, far from it, I love Milwaukee.

Who is this guy, a sports talk host? If so, is the Vander Blue commitment really sports talk radio fodder in Milwaukee? I understand it's a big deal to us, we're all obviously fans and passionate about Marquette basketball and the program. Is a high school basketball player announcing where he's going to college worth radio time? Maybe some Packer talk? Playoff baseball? Bucks season firing up? Badger football?

I realize the state of Wisconsin doesn't produce a ton of elite high school basketball players, and I obviously understand and appreciate our rivalry with the school west of us, but really...this is worth talking about on radio? Let the kid put on a Marquette uniform first, then you can dissect his decision. Talk about sour grapes, my goodness, let it go.

He's the Rush Limbaugh of Milwaukee

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 08:15:31 AM »
He should shut up about MU basketball and stick to what he thinks he knows.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 08:20:21 AM »
He's not sportstalk, he's the afternoon political show on WISN.  But he likes to talk about everything.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 08:30:51 AM »
He's not sportstalk, he's the afternoon political show on WISN.  But he likes to talk about everything.

you forgot that he is a ill-informed, mysoginist, racist, homophobe.

He has been one of the 'pot stirrers' in Milwaukee for a long time.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 08:31:43 AM »

Yikes, that makes it much worse! A political radio show talking about where a teenager makes a decison on where to go to college?? What's on today's show? Evil Marquette runs Ziggy off campus?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 08:41:52 AM »
Don't waste your time writing emails, just wear a pair of tight pants and head to Victor's. Mark will find you.

Wow!  '02 brings the noise today!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

smrunner99

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 08:58:33 AM »
he often is right-on in his comments, and about as often is dead-wrong.  This is  obviously the latter.  With a 50% average, he's about on a par with most talking heads.  He went to a small UW dash school, and most of them consider themselves baaajrs, for whatever reason.  He surely shot what little credibility he had in the ass today.

I always want to talk about this issue.  First, I was born and raised in Milwaukee and attended and eventaully graduated MU.  I will never get this.  I do not get how going to UW-Stout makes you a badger.  And honeslty I would be pissed if I had gone to UW and had to deal with all these dash students jumping on the Badger mobile.  I understand that is the major state school but alot of the dash school's have serious teams.  For example Whitewatere football and ever so often UW Green Bay Basketball.  I have friends and their parents who get upset at me because I don't cheer for the football team or the basketball team other than the one weekend in December. 

CrackedSidewalksSays

[Cracked Sidewalks] Earth to Mark Belling
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 09:15:07 AM »
Earth to Mark Belling

Written by: hilltopper91@gmail.com (Kevin Buckley)

Heard on Mark Belling's WISN radio show yesterday:  (hattip: ChunkyChip.)

"Marquette is going to be terrible this year"
"The program is imploding under Williams, they are recruiting thugs and guys are quitting the team"
"Maybe he'll be able to hang onto his job"
"Buzz has been a wrecking crew for that program"
"Marquette appears to be in shambles"
"Vander Blue could save Buzz's job .."

http://www.belling.com/cc-common/podcast.html - Part 2 of Hour 1 on Oct 21.

Uh, Earth to Belling:  Yes, MU will have a down year this next season.  Yes, we did have a verbal on a recruit that later admitted to criminality and will never wear a Warrior uniform.  Yes, a prized Freshman is out for the season, and we have a few other injuries hampering the start of the year.

But please.  Buzz might just snare two top 10 recruiting classes in two years, as he's half way there, and Rivals just released their listing, putting MU at 11th for bringing in Vander Blue.

Suggesting he's close to being fired is "galactically stupid."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4jevG0vhGWU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&start=50" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4jevG0vhGWU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&start=50</a>

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2009/10/earth-to-mark-belling.html

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 09:15:13 AM »
Wow!  '02 brings the noise today!

Belling is a creep, a blowhard, a hypocrite and a sensationalist.

Actually, I should be happy that he doesn't like Buzz, because if he did like Buzz, THAT would make me nervous.

Also, for the record, this has nothing to do with Mark's politics. I just think he's a jerk and a huge Monday morning QB. It's easy to sit in a radio studio and spout off about politicians, basketball coaches and everything under the sun. It's a lot harder to actually be one of those politicians or basketball coaches or whoever his target is.

I definitely think there is a place for well thought out critiques of public topics and public figures (especially those collecting a state paycheck)... I just don't think Mark provides any of that, and I'm disappointed that there are people in the Milwaukee community that can't see though him and/or believe anything he says.

Also, given how controversial he loves to be, I'm surprised he doesn't rip UW more. Certainly there are more UW fans in the area that would get pissed and call in (a big part of the show).

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 09:17:11 AM »
Yikes, that makes it much worse! A political radio show talking about where a teenager makes a decison on where to go to college??

Its an opinion show...why is it ok for you to talk about where a teenager goes to college?

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 09:21:28 AM »
Its an opinion show...why is it ok for you to talk about where a teenager goes to college?

Incorrect, read it again. It was mentioned it was a political show. Is Vander Blue running for office? I must have missed that. This is a message board, my opinion (which you seem to have an issue with in different threads) is fine and valid.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
I definitely think there is a place for well thought out critiques of public topics and public figures (especially those collecting a state paycheck)... I just don't think Mark provides any of that, and I'm disappointed that there are people in the Milwaukee community that can't see though him and/or believe anything he says.

Also, given how controversial he loves to be, I'm surprised he doesn't rip UW more. Certainly there are more UW fans in the area that would get pissed and call in (a big part of the show).

So you have mode up your mind that his opinions are automatically wrong because he is the one espousing them. That's reasonable.

As to the UW comments...the selective listening skills of some on this board are truly off the charts.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 09:24:52 AM »
Incorrect, read it again. It was mentioned it was a political show. Is Vander Blue running for office?

Saying it is a political show was the inaccuracy. It is a topical opinion show covering any and all topics as was stated in this thread multiple times.  Is politics a significant portion of the discussion? Of course, but at no point has that show been limited to politics, nor from my perspective was there ever an intention to do so.

This is a message board, my opinion (which you seem to have an issue with in different threads) is fine and valid.

So is the opinion of the host of a show that is entirely structured around said host expressing his opinion.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:26:47 AM by NavinRJohnson »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 09:34:36 AM »
Saying it is a political show was the inaccuracy. It is a topical opinion show covering any and all topics as was stated in this thread multiple times.  Is politics a significant portion of the discussion? Of course, but at no point has that show been limited to politics, nor from my perspective was there ever an intention to do so.

So is the opinion of the host of a show that is entirely structured around said host expressing his opinion.

When it started, it was a political show, much in the vein of Sykes or Wagner.  That it has morphed into an opinion show has more to do with Belling's complete inability to stay on topic for three hours than anything else.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 09:34:50 AM »
I heard it too, and while I agree it was a bit over the top, and a bit misinformed as to Buzz's 'status.' let's take a look at what he actually said...

"Marquette is going to be terrible this year"
- Terrible may be a bit strong, but relative to the rest of the conference, may well be true.

"The program is imploding under Williams, they are recruiting thugs and guys are quitting the team, [guys are hurt]" - Imploding? No probably not, but does anyone think it was not a very tumultuous off-season?

"Maybe he'll be able to hang onto his job" - Stupid comment.

"Buzz has been a wrecking crew for that program" - Made entirely in reference to the recruiting...specifically taking players we aren't used to around here. I disagree with the comment, but not much different than more than a few of the concerns that have been voiced on this board relative to JUCO's etc.

"Marquette appears to be in shambles" - A couple pf weeks ago, didn't we all sort of feel this way after a rape charge, season ending injury, and loss of a committed recruit?

"Vander Blue could save Buzz's job - if MU fires him they risk losing Blue"
- I don't recall him saying the bold part.

Belling also claimed to "break" the true story of Blue's defection to Marquette - Buzz pressured Maymon to pressue Blue to dump Madison and come to Marquette. - he didn't claim to break anything, he simply said the lazy media in this town didn't care to look into or report what actually happened. He did. Does anyone here doubt that Maymon played an extremely significant role in this? For the record, Belling went on to say that he did not see anything shady or unethical about it.

You ask the question "didn't we all sort of feel this way (that Marquette appears to be in shambles) a couple of weeks ago?" NO "we all" didn't.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 09:41:43 AM »
As I stated point blank at the beginning, I have no idea who this guy is or what show he runs. I respect BMA's word when he said it was a political show.

It's fine for an "opinion" host to give his opinion on things. It's his right, and I won't argue with that. I can and will certainly argue that discussing it is small-minded. If it is a news talk/political show, and 3 days after the fact, it's still news worthy, is quite frankly idiotic. I don't see how defending someone on giving their opinion is worthy of being argumentative.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 09:47:15 AM »

Looks like we hit a sore spot for your love of Mark.  Mark is entitled to his opinion; however, one would hope he would take his position and responsibilities more serious.  Conversation and debate are needed, but when one pretends to be factual and serious, and then makes comments out of hate and ignorance it becomes an issue.  At least Colbert and Stewart throw far left wing ideas on Comedy Central.  Doesn't say much for the stations that carry Mark.  I would liken them to Comedy Central as far as integrity goes.  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 09:50:16 AM by avid1010 »

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 09:50:15 AM »
So you have mode up your mind that his opinions are automatically wrong because he is the one espousing them. That's reasonable.

As to the UW comments...the selective listening skills of some on this board are truly off the charts.

Well, let me rephrase.

I've listened to Mark's show on several occasions, and honestly, I do so with an open mind.

However, I have heard him go off on several topics regarding local politics and in this case MU basketball where he clearly hasn't researched the topic thoroughly and is just ranting, rather than providing an educated viewpoint.

I'm sure Mark is correct on some opinions. However, he has demonstrated (at least to me) that he's willing to spout off on any topic, whether he's an expert in the area or not, which really makes me doubt his credibility in all areas. (how am I supposed to know when he's really knowledgeable or he's just ranting).

Like I said, I think there is a place for a strong opinion show with educated viewpoints, I just don't think he's as educated on every topic as he pretends to be.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 09:52:54 AM »
If it is a news talk/political show, and 3 days after the fact, it's still news worthy, is quite frankly idiotic.

Bringing it up was a direct response to an isiotic Mike Hunt column that ran in the paper yesterday. That is why it was discussed 3 days later, and frankly talking about how ridiculously stupid the column is was the major point he was making.

I just continue to be amazed at what hairy wet cats so many people around here turn into when someone dare say something negative about Marquette. I tend to be protective as well, but let's get real...Whether it is Andy Katz, Mark Belling, Bill Michaels or Digger Phelps, you can count on dozens of comments here about how stupid, mis-informed, biased, egotistical, or out of touch that individual is, often times based entirely on an incomplete summary of the comments someone posts here.

If these guys are so stupid, mis-informed, biased, egotistical, or out of touch, why does anybody care? Why do those opinions matter.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2009, 09:54:12 AM »
As has been said, Belling is a pot-stirrer.  Like most talk-radio blowhards, he doesn't truly believe the majority of it, but he's getting paid a lot of money to say what he says.  And believe me, there are morons out there that eat it up like candy.

While MU basketball has nothing to do with the usual political nature of his show, face it -- there are a lot of MU haters out there and Belling is just trying to get them to tune in (more).  Does Belling honestly believe that MU is imploding and Buzz is an incompetent head coach?  Absolutely not.  But will people listen if he says these things?  Absolutely.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2009, 09:56:01 AM »
As I stated point blank at the beginning, I have no idea who this guy is or what show he runs. I respect BMA's word when he said it was a political show.

It's fine for an "opinion" host to give his opinion on things. It's his right, and I won't argue with that. I can and will certainly argue that discussing it is small-minded. If it is a news talk/political show, and 3 days after the fact, it's still news worthy, is quite frankly idiotic. I don't see how defending someone on giving their opinion is worthy of being argumentative.

It did start off as a political show; however, he wasn't getting the ratings he needed to live the lifestyle he wanted to, so he decided to go with the shock approach.  It's put $$$ in his pocket, and anyone who thinks that isn't Marks #1 goal is kidding themselves.  Some of the far right/far left hosts walk-the-walk...Mark doesn't even do that.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2009, 09:57:37 AM »
"Marquette, the Evil Empire to the East", man I kind of like the ring of it
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2009, 09:58:16 AM »
Bringing it up was a direct response to an isiotic Mike Hunt column that ran in the paper yesterday. That is why it was discussed 3 days later, and frankly talking about how ridiculously stupid the column is was the major point he was making.

I just continue to be amazed at what hairy wet cats so many people around here turn into when someone dare say something negative about Marquette. I tend to be protective as well, but let's get real...Whether it is Andy Katz, Mark Belling, Bill Michaels or Digger Phelps, you can count on dozens of comments here about how stupid, mis-informed, biased, egotistical, or out of touch that individual is, often times based entirely on an incomplete summary of the comments someone posts here.

If these guys are so stupid, mis-informed, biased, egotistical, or out of touch, why does anybody care? Why do those opinions matter.

Did you attend MU?  I always wonder if it's possible to get a degree from a Jesuit school and then support someone like Mark?

On a side note...nice language.  Clearly shows you have some real class.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2009, 10:00:54 AM »

However, I have heard him go off on several topics regarding local politics and in this case MU basketball where he clearly hasn't researched the topic thoroughly and is just ranting, rather than providing an educated viewpoint...(how am I supposed to know when he's really knowledgeable or he's just ranting).

If you don't see the conflict between those two comments, there is not much I can do to help you. You clearly feel qualified to know on some occasions. A bit of a cop out on your part, no?

I guess the lesson would be to make up your own mind. If he's right, he's right, if he's wrong he's wrong. What's hard about that? If that doesn't get it done for you, there are many buttons on your radio and you are free to use them. Everyone is.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2009, 10:06:59 AM »
"The program is imploding under Williams, they are recruiting thugs and guys are quitting the team, [guys are hurt]" - Imploding? No probably not, but does anyone think it was not a very tumultuous off-season?

Probably not? Probably not? What hints of imminent implosion did you see this off-season? The transfer of a kid who was unlikely to play? The arrest of a kid who never set foot on campus and now never will? These are things that could possibly cause an entire program to implode?

No, I do not think it was a "very tumultuous" off-season. Very tumultuous is what happened at Indiana last year. Very tumultuos is what is happening at USC this year.  Fact is, MU had a far more tumultuous offseason last year than this year. Lost the head coach and most of the assistants. Lost two players to transfer, one of whom left just before school began. Lost two key recruits.
And yet somehow the program didn't implode.

"Marquette appears to be in shambles" - A couple pf weeks ago, didn't we all sort of feel this way after a rape charge, season ending injury, and loss of a committed recruit?

No. I'd suggest the great majority of us - at least those not prone to vast hyperbole and overreaction - did not believe Marquette was in shambles two weeks ago. It's laughbale to think that an injury to a freshman guard, the transfer of a kid who wasn't going to play and the arrest of a kid who wasn't even going to be on campus for a year would bring about the ruination of Marquette basketball.

Belling also claimed to "break" the true story of Blue's defection to Marquette - Buzz pressured Maymon to pressue Blue to dump Madison and come to Marquette. - he didn't claim to break anything, he simply said the lazy media in this town didn't care to look into or report what actually happened. He did. Does anyone here doubt that Maymon played an extremely significant role in this? For the record, Belling went on to say that he did not see anything shady or unethical about it.

Actually, nearly every media outlet that reported on the verbal made some reference to Blue's close relationship with Maymon and how it played in his decision. What they didn't do was make reckless - and quite probably false - word choices like "pressured" that imply a) Maymon was coerced into encouraging his friend to attend MU and b) Blue chose Marquette not by his own free will, but rather under duress.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:09:47 AM by Pakuni »