[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wes to make team? Article Salt Lake City Tribune  (Read 1463 times)

classof70

• Team Captain
Wes to make team? Article Salt Lake City Tribune
« on: October 23, 2009, 07:40:15 AM »
To watch Wesley Matthews before practice Thursday was to sense nothing out of the ordinary. He warmed up at one basket with fellow rookie Eric Maynor before the two went through shooting drills with part-time assistant coach Jeff Hornacek.

Yet much had changed for the undrafted guard from Marquette. Matthews now is in line to make the Jazz's opening night roster after the team decided to release five-year NBA veteran Ronald Dupree and injured rookie Paul Harris.

"I know this game, I know I can compete at this level," Matthews said, "and keep working hard, playing defense and focusing on getting better and helping this team get as many wins as possible."

The Jazz's injury concerns played no small part in the decision, with general manager Kevin O'Connor announcing that Kyle Korver would receive a second opinion on the inflamed left knee that has kept him out of six of seven preseason games.

"We really told him, 'Look, this is frustrating to you, it's frustrating to us, we need you to go have this looked at by somebody else so you're more comfortable in your head where it's at,' " O'Connor said.

Korver previously said that he had undergone multiple MRI exams and was told consistently that rest alone would be enough to heal his knee. O'Connor did not want to speculate about the possibility that Korver would have to undergo surgery.

"We're just concerned that he's having pain in it and where it goes from here," O'Connor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
said, adding that the Jazz were insistent Korver seek a second opinion after he was unable to play Tuesday at Portland.

O'Connor will wait to make Matthews' status official until he learns more about Korver. However, with only 13 players under contract, the Jazz would face the prospect of opening the season with a 10-man team without Matthews.

Matt Harpring is out indefinitely with ankle and knee issues while C.J. Miles isn't expected to play for another month after undergoing thumb surgery. Ronnie Brewer, meanwhile, won't travel to Sacramento for tonight's preseason finale due to back spasms.

Asked how close he felt to making the NBA, Matthews said, "Unbelievably close, but at the same time, I still have no idea how far I have to go, so I just try to keep it day by day."

Matthews' father, Wes, who played nine seasons in the NBA and was a member of two Los Angeles Lakers championship teams in the 1980s, was elated by Thursday's news.

"I'm like, 'Wow,' the elder Matthews said by phone. "That's like a dream come true for him, and for me -- to have your offspring make the NBA. Words can't even describe right now how I'm feeling."

O'Connor suggested the Jazz weren't inclined to explore signing a player who has been released by another team over keeping a player like Matthews. The Jazz must set their roster by Monday afternoon.

"I think history will tell you that we kind of like to keep the guys that we've had through training camp," O'Connor said. "Jarron [Collins] earned it eight or nine years ago and he stayed with us."

Matthews has started three preseason games and averaged 7.6 points in 20.9 minutes, allowing him to entertain some thoughts of how he would contribute to the Jazz this season.

"This team already has so much, I just feel like I can help add on to it," said Matthews, who added that he was trying to stayed focused on what he can control as opposed to the roster decision.

"Just bring toughness and intensity. Defense, energy, running the court. I picked up the system pretty well, can make open shots, can make plays for others. I just feel like there's a lot that I can do to help this team."

Matthews has his share of supporters among his teammates, including Ronnie Price, who broke into the NBA himself as an undrafted rookie with Sacramento.

"He deserves everything that he's given," Price said. "He's a hard worker, an outstanding player and an even better guy. ... The way he handles himself, I think he's right on track."

Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said Matthews has shown "a great deal of know-how, you might say," adding that Matthews' four years at Marquette served him well, leaving him more experienced than a typical rookie.

"He's had some good moments and he's played hard," Sloan said. "He seems to have a little toughness and those things. We'll see where he goes, you know?"

Even by making the Jazz, Matthews' future would remain a day-to-day proposition. He is signed for the rookie minimum $457,588, but his contract doesn't have to be guaranteed for the season until Jan. 10.

After enduring an injury-ravaged 2008-09 season, which was blamed for the Jazz's eighth-place Western Conference finish, Sloan was asked about his concern starting this season with Miles and Korver both hurt.

"They aren't going to call the games off," Sloan said. "We have to go ahead and play and hopefully somebody steps up and plays and takes up the slack of what we're trying to do and that's to win."

rsiler@sltrib.com

Making his case
Undrafted rookie Wesley Matthews is in line to make the Jazz's opening night roster. A look at his play in the team's seven preseason games so far.

Date Opp Pts Shooting Mins
Oct. 1 Denver 6 1-4 13
Oct. 6 Chicago 16 5-10 24
Oct. 8 Real Madrid 2 1-1 15
Oct. 15 Portland 12 5-7 25
Oct. 17 L.A. Clippers 5 1-4 28
Oct. 18 Charlotte 2 1-5 21
Oct. 20 Portland 10 2-4 20

feedback