[Today at 10:54:04 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Belling Blasts Buzz  (Read 33682 times)

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
Belling Blasts Buzz
« on: October 21, 2009, 07:48:37 PM »
Happen to catch the tail end of the first hour of Mark Bellings's program on WISN today (not my usual drive-time entertainment) and his take on the Vander Blue situation.  Belling started out by ripping Michael Hunt's column in the paper today, then proceed to blast Buzz.  Here are some choice lines (I may be paraphrasing slightly):

"Marquette is going to be terrible this year"
"The program is imploding under Williams, they are recruiting thugs and guys are quitting the team"
"Maybe he'll be able to hang onto his job"
"Buzz has been a wrecking crew for that program"
"Marquette appears to be in shambles"
"Vander Blue could save Buzz's job - if MU fires him they risk losing Blue"

Belling also claimed to "break" the true story of Blue's defection to Marquette - Buzz pressured Maymon to pressure Blue to dump Madison and come to Marquette.

Hilarious stuff - you can listen at the link below - chose part 2 of hour 1 - it's at the end.

http://www.belling.com/cc-common/podcast.html

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:58:13 PM by ChuckyChip »

Boone

• All American
Re: Belling Blasts Buzz
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 07:52:49 PM »
What's really interesting is I didn't even know this irrelevant c*nt was still on the air.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:01:12 PM »
Remember Belling admits he doesn't follow college hoops because "its an inferior product to the NBA"

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:04:27 PM »
What the heck was anyone doing "catching the first hour" of the Belling show?

What a loud-mouth, attention seeking, wh***.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 08:05:01 PM »
He's a pud

IAmMarquette

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:05:35 PM »
"Signing Blue might be enough to save Buzz Williams' job at Marquette."

Buzz's job is in jeopardy?

muball

• Starter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 08:15:00 PM »
his research was reading the Badger Board. He is really a piece of work. This is all about trying to stir things up and increase listeners.

TT13

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 08:19:26 PM »
Also, remember WISN isn't the Marquette flagship anymore.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 08:42:34 PM »
Also, remember WISN isn't the Marquette flagship anymore.

This, and his feud with Homer has only increased his venom toward MU lately.

He's a blowhard, and even worse when it comes to sports. And heaven forbid someone challenge him on it.

I heard that segment as well, and laughed. How ridiculous.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 08:46:05 PM »
When he calls Marquette the evil empire to the east, the rest is inevitable.   Does he have a cold or just an effeminate speaking style?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 09:07:01 PM »
his research was reading the Badger Board. He is really a piece of work. This is all about trying to stir things up and increase listeners.

Boom, and look!  Its working.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 09:09:23 PM »
Happen to catch the tail end of the first hour of Mark Bellings's program on WISN today (not my usual drive-time entertainment) and his take on the Vander Blue situation.  Belling started out by ripping Michael Hunt's column in the paper today, then proceed to blast Buzz.  Here are some choice lines (I may be paraphrasing slightly):

"The program is imploding under Williams, they are recruiting thugs and guys are quitting the team"
"Maybe he'll be able to hang onto his job"
"Buzz has been a wrecking crew for that program"
"Marquette appears to be in shambles"

Belling also claimed to "break" the true story of Blue's defection to Marquette - Buzz pressured Maymon to pressue Blue to dump Madison and come to Marquette.

I heard it too, and while I agree it was a bit over the top, and a bit misinformed as to Buzz's 'status.' let's take a look at what he actually said...

- Terrible may be a bit strong, but relative to the rest of the conference, may well be true.

"The program is imploding under Williams, they are recruiting thugs and guys are quitting the team, [guys are hurt]" - Imploding? No probably not, but does anyone think it was not a very tumultuous off-season?

"Maybe he'll be able to hang onto his job" - Stupid comment.

"Buzz has been a wrecking crew for that program" - Made entirely in reference to the recruiting...specifically taking players we aren't used to around here. I disagree with the comment, but not much different than more than a few of the concerns that have been voiced on this board relative to JUCO's etc.

"Marquette appears to be in shambles" - A couple pf weeks ago, didn't we all sort of feel this way after a rape charge, season ending injury, and loss of a committed recruit?

- I don't recall him saying the bold part.

Belling also claimed to "break" the true story of Blue's defection to Marquette - Buzz pressured Maymon to pressue Blue to dump Madison and come to Marquette. - he didn't claim to break anything, he simply said the lazy media in this town didn't care to look into or report what actually happened. He did. Does anyone here doubt that Maymon played an extremely significant role in this? For the record, Belling went on to say that he did not see anything shady or unethical about it.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 09:11:07 PM »
When he calls Marquette the evil empire to the east, the rest is inevitable.   

Again, in reference to a Badger Fan's perspective which is the context in which he made that comment, what is wrong with that?

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 09:16:55 PM »
Never heard of the guy... but if he always makes it this obvious that he's an idiot then he's actually making Marquette look good by slamming it.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 09:57:20 PM »
Here's the email I just sent him (markbelling@clearchannel.com is listed on his own website; if anybody knows any other emails for him I would appreciate it if you could let me know):

I have two things to show you:

http://www.620wtmj.com/shows/llama/65311697.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTXPR1O9l9g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7SEOVeo4SM

Get a clue about what you are talking about before you go off and run your mouth about it.  I understand, going out and making some of the most ridiculous comments you possibly can make about the hottest topic in Wisconsin sports (with the exception of anything related to Benedict Brett Favre) gets you listeners and increases ratings for your show.  You must REALLY need those listeners, because your comments on Buzz Williams and Marquette basketball are so far off base it is ridiculous.

Let me ask you this, as a professional, did you do your homework before you did this piece?  Did you interview Buzz Williams?  How about Vander Blue?  Or Jeronne Maymon?  Hell, you could have even interviewed Bo Ryan and I am sure he would not say anything along the lines of what you said.  You talk about Buzz Williams recruiting "thugs."  As in plural, or multiple recruits who are thugs.  Which ones?  Montralle Clark was a mistake, and he never set foot on the campus because of his mistake that Buzz Williams had NO WAY to see coming.  Who else?  I didn't think you'd find anybody else.  Are you one of those people who thinks that because kids went the junior college routes they are automatically thugs?  So Dwight Buycks, who would have been fully qualified had the lowly MPS system not failed him so badly in high school that they did not advise him to take courses that he NEEDED to be eligible for college, is a thug?  Really?  Have you ever spoken to or interacted with the Marquette basketball players?  What is your basis for this statement?

You do realize that the "shambles" that you say Marquette is in is a result of the former coach Tom Crean being unable to balance recruiting classes, so he was left with his entire team graduating all at the same time, right?  And that Buzz's recruiting of JUCOs is to fix this problem, balancing the classes so that this type of thing does not happen every four years, right?  You also do realize that Buzz Williams got a top 10 recruiting class in the nation in his FIRST YEAR ON THE JOB at Marquette, right?  And that, with the addition of Vander Blue and 2 more open scholarships for 2010, he is going to have a SECOND ONE IN A ROW, right?  When has Bo Ryan had ANY top 10 recruiting classes in the nation?  I'll answer that one for you: NEVER!  Tom Crean could NEVER get a good recruiting class two years in a row because the only way he knew how to recruit was when he had playing time to offer.  Buzz Williams is building a program that has the potential to compete for Big East and National championships, whereas Bo Ryan will always compete for 2nd or 3rd in the Big Televen, but will NEVER be a threat to win a National championship.

Your baseless comments on Marquette's basketball program are an absolute shame to sports radio.  You sound just as bitter about losing an incredibly talented recruit as some of the Badger fans are on their forums.  My guess is that is where you did your "research."  Really professional stuff there, Mark.  You should be really proud of yourself.

Your a 40-something year old man calling 17-22 year old boys that you have never met "thugs."  Really good stuff there.  Don't take off your black and red sunglasses anytime soon, please.  You and all of the people embarrassing themselves like you on this situation are making life for Buzz Williams so much easier when it comes to recruiting the top talent within the state.  Now Buzz just has to point to articles and interviews like your ridiculous stuff and say "Hey, if you make ONE LITTLE MISTAKE in your life at Wisconsin, this is how they will treat you."  It's a shame, Mark.  It really is.  You should be embarrassed.  You clearly have absolutely NO clue as to what you are talking about.

Glad you gave me some entertainment for the night.  Enjoy yourself, and enjoy watching Vander break your heart and tear it up at Marquette.

Sincerely,
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 10:17:15 PM »
Here's the email I just sent him (markbelling@clearchannel.com is listed on his own website; if anybody knows any other emails for him I would appreciate it if you could let me know):

I have two things to show you:

http://www.620wtmj.com/shows/llama/65311697.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTXPR1O9l9g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7SEOVeo4SM

Get a clue about what you are talking about before you go off and run your mouth about it.  I understand, going out and making some of the most ridiculous comments you possibly can make about the hottest topic in Wisconsin sports (with the exception of anything related to Benedict Brett Favre) gets you listeners and increases ratings for your show.  You must REALLY need those listeners, because your comments on Buzz Williams and Marquette basketball are so far off base it is ridiculous.

Let me ask you this, as a professional, did you do your homework before you did this piece?  Did you interview Buzz Williams?  How about Vander Blue?  Or Jeronne Maymon?  Hell, you could have even interviewed Bo Ryan and I am sure he would not say anything along the lines of what you said.  You talk about Buzz Williams recruiting "thugs."  As in plural, or multiple recruits who are thugs.  Which ones?  Montralle Clark was a mistake, and he never set foot on the campus because of his mistake that Buzz Williams had NO WAY to see coming.  Who else?  I didn't think you'd find anybody else.  Are you one of those people who thinks that because kids went the junior college routes they are automatically thugs?  So Dwight Buycks, who would have been fully qualified had the lowly MPS system not failed him so badly in high school that they did not advise him to take courses that he NEEDED to be eligible for college, is a thug?  Really?  Have you ever spoken to or interacted with the Marquette basketball players?  What is your basis for this statement?

You do realize that the "shambles" that you say Marquette is in is a result of the former coach Tom Crean being unable to balance recruiting classes, so he was left with his entire team graduating all at the same time, right?  And that Buzz's recruiting of JUCOs is to fix this problem, balancing the classes so that this type of thing does not happen every four years, right?  You also do realize that Buzz Williams got a top 10 recruiting class in the nation in his FIRST YEAR ON THE JOB at Marquette, right?  And that, with the addition of Vander Blue and 2 more open scholarships for 2010, he is going to have a SECOND ONE IN A ROW, right?  When has Bo Ryan had ANY top 10 recruiting classes in the nation?  I'll answer that one for you: NEVER!  Tom Crean could NEVER get a good recruiting class two years in a row because the only way he knew how to recruit was when he had playing time to offer.  Buzz Williams is building a program that has the potential to compete for Big East and National championships, whereas Bo Ryan will always compete for 2nd or 3rd in the Big Televen, but will NEVER be a threat to win a National championship.

Your baseless comments on Marquette's basketball program are an absolute shame to sports radio.  You sound just as bitter about losing an incredibly talented recruit as some of the Badger fans are on their forums.  My guess is that is where you did your "research."  Really professional stuff there, Mark.  You should be really proud of yourself.

Your a 40-something year old man calling 17-22 year old boys that you have never met "thugs."  Really good stuff there.  Don't take off your black and red sunglasses anytime soon, please.  You and all of the people embarrassing themselves like you on this situation are making life for Buzz Williams so much easier when it comes to recruiting the top talent within the state.  Now Buzz just has to point to articles and interviews like your ridiculous stuff and say "Hey, if you make ONE LITTLE MISTAKE in your life at Wisconsin, this is how they will treat you."  It's a shame, Mark.  It really is.  You should be embarrassed.  You clearly have absolutely NO clue as to what you are talking about.

Glad you gave me some entertainment for the night.  Enjoy yourself, and enjoy watching Vander break your heart and tear it up at Marquette.

Sincerely,

Don't waste your time writing emails, just wear a pair of tight pants and head to Victor's. Mark will find you.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 10:18:33 PM »
P.S...What about the "thugs" that broke into dorms and stole hundreds of dollars worth of items belonging to other people. Where did they go to school again?

I want to preface this, by saying that I COMPLETELY understand the business model for talk radio, and that the #1 motivation is ratings. With that being said...

Heres the bottom line...As I can remember, alot of the Milwaukee media (especially radio) turned on MU because of 2 big events that happened at almost the same time.

First...when MU decided to leave WISN and put their radio rights up for bid. 540 ESPN (at the time, 1510 WAUK) won the rights, beating out WISN and WSSP. Homer left WISN for WAUK/ESPN, and on the way out, Belling called him a "Marquette Whore" and at that point, it was on like donkey kong.  Nobody cared/knew a whole lot about WSSP at the time, as they were in flux as a new radio station.

Second...then came the whole MU/UWM scheduling debate.  That was a very ugly time in Milwaukee, and it gave WISN and WSSP a chance to constantly blame MU for everything that is wrong in the world.  At the time, Peter Brown (the biggest joke in the history of radio) was on in the afternoon on WSSP, and I would listen once in awhile. He honestly made me so mad once while driving, I had to pull over to try and call in. I had a chance to say about 2 words, before he hung up on me.

I feel that things have somewhat gotten better lately, but MU is an easy target. Everyone knew this Vander Blue thing was going to get ugly...and it has yet to disappoint.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 11:30:15 PM »
Does anyone recall Belling calling out Taylor and his buddy as thugs or the like?
Just want to see if there's a bias or if he's an equal opportunity basher.
SS Marquette

wyoMUfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 11:31:22 PM »
What an idiot, he sounds like he knows about the program....
BUT he obviously doesn't
I think he should be shot out of a cannon.

augoman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 12:51:30 AM »
he often is right-on in his comments, and about as often is dead-wrong.  This is  obviously the latter.  With a 50% average, he's about on a par with most talking heads.  He went to a small UW dash school, and most of them consider themselves baaajrs, for whatever reason.  He surely shot what little credibility he had in the ass today.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 01:17:43 AM »
This guy is still around?  What is he, 85 years old now? 

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 06:49:57 AM »

- I don't recall him saying the bold part.

The exact quote was:

"If Buzz Williams goes 4-12, or 4-16, or whatever it is in the Big East this year, he can at least say 'look, you fire me, Vander Blue is not going to come here, you're going to have transfers go away, and have nothing for the future'".

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 07:38:04 AM »
This guy is still around?  What is he, 85 years old now? 

No, he only looks like the crypt keeper.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 07:41:28 AM »
I'm surprised he has the guts to bash MU...  With Madison being so liberal I have to believe he's now ticked off the majority of college grads in this state, anyone who's not racist, anyone who is not extremely right wing, etc...

We protested his sorry but of my college campus years ago because of his wonderful "wetbacks" comment, maybe some MU students need head his way!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 07:55:20 AM »
Forgive my ignorance on this. I spent four years in Milwaukee at Marquette, but have set up shop back in Chicago since. I'm not one of those who feel Chicago is big time and Milwaukee is second class, far from it, I love Milwaukee.

Who is this guy, a sports talk host? If so, is the Vander Blue commitment really sports talk radio fodder in Milwaukee? I understand it's a big deal to us, we're all obviously fans and passionate about Marquette basketball and the program. Is a high school basketball player announcing where he's going to college worth radio time? Maybe some Packer talk? Playoff baseball? Bucks season firing up? Badger football?

I realize the state of Wisconsin doesn't produce a ton of elite high school basketball players, and I obviously understand and appreciate our rivalry with the school west of us, but really...this is worth talking about on radio? Let the kid put on a Marquette uniform first, then you can dissect his decision. Talk about sour grapes, my goodness, let it go.

feedback