collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Bands  (Read 27008 times)

SoCalwarrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: MU Bands
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2009, 12:49:31 AM »
The Pearl Jam show was the best concert I've ever been to.  Eddie climbed to the top of the lighting rig and belted a song or two.  I definitely thought he was going to fall.  Dave Krusen threw a drumstick into the crowd and I, along with two others, caught it and wrestled for it for two songs before I ripped it free.  It sits on my desk to this day.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2009, 06:42:28 AM »
That night was insane--if I'm not mistaken it was the inspiration for a McCurdy song called "Those God Damn College Kids". McCurdy once told me his sound guy was up all night after that gig cleaning his equipment b/c it was drenched in beer. I also recall someone trying to do a naked beer slide down the aisle of the bus on the way home. Don't think that floor made for a good sliding surface. Thanks for bringing back a memory I hadn't thought of in ages.

I forgot about that.  I was one of the 100 or so people stranded at Serb Hall waiting while the bus driver either cleaned the bus, or had someone else clean the bus.  From what I remember we waited for well over an hour.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2009, 08:21:06 AM »
That was an unbelievable night.

jdier

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2009, 11:09:01 AM »
I saw fIREHOSE at one of the outdoor union shows.  I think it was 1990.  Really great show.

The Bodeans, if I remember correctly, were still called "Da BoDeans" when they played the grill. 

Jim

MU_all_over

• Walk-On
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2009, 12:04:08 PM »
Would have loved to have seen fIREHOSE. I just remember a lot crappy ska bands (Mustard Plug, Scofflaws, Invaders...) playing in the late 90s. And one of those stupid swing bands (Big Bad Voodoo Daddy?) that I didn't go see.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2009, 12:38:40 PM »
I remember many great bands coming thru Milwaukee betwen 82 and 86.  With the hometown Violent Femmes killing it.  I remember one afternoon in the cafeteria outside the Mug Rack when Brian Ritchie and DeLorenzo showed up as a band called The Knobs? and proceded to play a couple of killer sets....

LON

• All American
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »
Nappy Roots, 2003 at the Varsity Theatre

jdier

• Walk-On
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2009, 08:55:14 AM »
In Terms of MU Bands (Bands made up of MU Students) here are a few that have not been mentioned that might stir up some memories:

The Eisenhowers (mid 80's - lead singer Ike Reilly now solo artist out of Chicago with The Ike Reilly Assassination)
New Aviators (mid 80's)
The Peasants (mid 80's)
Wolfgang Green (made up of some of the Wolff family (dave or surrender dorothy, suzanne of big sky))
Radioactive Sludge (early 90's)
Domino Theory (late 80's - with John Gentile, later of R. Mutt and Ventriloquist Cat)
Ventriloquist Cat (early 90's - with John Gentile and Dave Moser (previously of Innisfree))
Innisfree (late 80's, early 90's)
Blue Utah (early 90's)
Grotto Sandwich (early to mid 90's)
Rapheal and Zen (90 battle of bands)
Double Take (90 battle of bands)
FBI (90 battle of bands)
Go Figure (90 battle of bands)
Big Mother Gig (these guys went on to be another better know band if I remember correctly... maybe Front of Truck)
Fuscia Boys (kind of an acoustic comedy duo from early 90's)
Groovus
Last Call

If I think of more, I will post them.

My personal fav was always Surrender Dorothy

Here is a link to an article on the subject:
http://iamjimdier.blogspot.com/2008/09/evolution-of-live-music-scene-and.html

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2009, 09:19:36 AM »
Domino Theory rings a bell, I think they played during my Freshman Orientation week (fall '87).

jdier

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2009, 11:50:55 AM »
One other that was not an MU band but played the MU Grill at least 2 times during my years was Milwaukee Band "Those X-Cleavers"

They had a couple of minor hits and were a blast to see at the Grill.

dadams0124

• Walk-On
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »
I went to MU from 89-93.  I played in the MU based band "Secret Goldfish".  A friend from the MU days pointed me to this site.  MU has always had great, fun bands.  I'm sure I'm forgetting a few but I had a blast listening to and playing shows with several talented musicians from the late 80's and early 90's.  Plus the free beer (being a broke college kid) made playing out that much more fun!

Some of my favorites:
1. Big Sky (Peter Mulvey and Joe Panzetta still out there playing today).
2. R. Mutt
3. Surrender Dorothy
4. West Of Everywhere
5. Blue Utah
6. Big Mother Gig
7. Ventriloquist Cat
8. Richards Himself Again
9. Double Take

The cool thing about these bands...most, if not all of them wrote their own songs and put out tapes and CDs.  I still enjoy listening to those tracks today.

I saw a few posts regarding Pearl Jam.  They played the Varsity Theatre. My buddy and I were local "roadies" for the band.  We drove them around town, to music stores and their hotel (they stayed at the Pfister).  MU booked Pearl Jam just before the album "10" took off.  Pearl Jam was playing venues much larger (and for more money) by the time the rolled into Milwaukee.  MU got very lucky...the band almost cancelled the show when they realized the varsity theatre had seats that could not be removed!  This was one of the first shows at MU that required an MU ID to get in due to the band's popularity.  A very cool moment in MU Concerts. MU always did a great job booking bands and the students did a great job forming bands (not sure where the MU bands play today...there aren't too many bars left in the MU neighborhood that can handle live music) and putting on shows.  Most important...the general student population supported their friends which made the whole "Marquette Music Scene" an awesome thing.  And Jiggles Fest?...that is a weekend I'd go back to the late 80" for in a heartbeat!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2009, 07:14:10 PM »
X-cleavers anthem         ..."Nice legs, shame about the face".....
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2009, 08:03:23 AM »
+1 to the X-Cleavers.  They put out a greatest hits cd last summer which has brought back some great memories from the MU Grill shows in the early '80's.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

rugbydrummer

• Team Captain
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
Pearl Jam, no kidding!  how cool for y'all :) 

Well... my run @ MU ended quite recently, but I have to say, I am a little disappointed we didn't have Jigglesfest!  What a blast!  however, my roommate frosh year went to see Ben Folds @ the VT and he stopped and they watched the VP debate in the middle of his set . . . craziness! 

band I followed @ MU:  a ska group called "Catch of the Day" which included a friend of mine named Joe Peschel, really a good group, caused me to see them play @ both the Rave & @ "Skappleton" up in Appleton on year where Suburban Legends was playing.

Reel Big Fish also played @ the VT, they were fun as usual.

Actually, in recent years the quality of the performers hasn't been that great(???)  Other shows I knew of were Gavin de Graw . . . i'm having a hard time coming up with others.  Obviously the Rave is right down the street, and they book many many acts that ppl want to see so that may be a part of it.

My favorite band is still PEP band though!   ;)

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2009, 09:37:31 AM »
Rooftop Prophets, ~'96-'00

HA HA HA!  Awesome.  I was just talking about them with rooftop prophet Mike Lyons (guitarist/vocal).

I was more of a Mad Taxi fan (renamed Revolver in '00) w/ Cassedy on slide guitar... they played alot at the Up & Under.    
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 09:40:29 AM by TomW1365 »

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2009, 09:53:46 AM »
The Eagles Ballroom aka The Rave had to be one of the best places to see a concert.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rave
Not to mention it was right off campus and for most shows, you could get in for free w/ a 2 drink minimum... $8 to see a show?!?  Shows I remember seeing there between 96-00:
Widespread Panic
George Clinton and the Parliament Allstars
B.B. King and Bobby "Blue" Bland
Gov't Mule
Rusted Root

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2009, 02:57:02 PM »
70-74

All Concerts were held in the ballroom of the old Student Union so they didn't normally bring in anyone that would draw a large crowd. If it was warm enough outside they were on the Mall lawn though usually only after freshman orientation. We didn't have many concerts since the other venues in town usually got all the best acts. I was always jealous of friends at Ohio State who had the likes of Elton John, Jethro Tull, and other BIG bands of that period.

We had Laura Nyro, (a VERY stoned) Richie Havens, Blues Project (with Al Kooper), War, The Mahavishnu Orchestra (with Jon McLaughlin, Jan Hammer and Billy Cobham), Steve Goodman, John Prine,and few other less notables (how much less notable could they be?).

I'm guessing that most of you have not heard of most of the people I mentioned.... :D

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2009, 03:13:57 PM »
Tex74, I would consider War pretty notable.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2009, 08:06:32 PM »
Yeah, but what is it good for?   Absolutely nuthin' say it again......
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2009, 11:57:27 AM »
At some colleges, the only reason for a touring act to stop is because of the college.  Milwaukee is big enough that if a band wants to play there, they get the Marcus Amp in the summer or Bradley Center in the fall/winter.

I saw plenty of big bands while at MU, but none of them could ever have played MU (would have needed a football stadium for starters) - Van Halen, Rush (twice), Def Lepard (front row - surrounded by hotties that kept disappearing), The Kinks, The Fixx and fresham year Homecoming I was standing in the lobby of the Hyatt when Lindsey Buckingham and the rest of Fleetwood Mac walked in after their concert at the Marcus.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:10:37 PM by lurch91 »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2014, 11:52:12 PM »
I went to MU from 89-93.  I played in the MU based band "Secret Goldfish".  A friend from the MU days pointed me to this site.  MU has always had great, fun bands.  I'm sure I'm forgetting a few but I had a blast listening to and playing shows with several talented musicians from the late 80's and early 90's.  Plus the free beer (being a broke college kid) made playing out that much more fun!

Some of my favorites:
1. Big Sky (Peter Mulvey and Joe Panzetta still out there playing today).
2. R. Mutt
3. Surrender Dorothy
4. West Of Everywhere
5. Blue Utah
6. Big Mother Gig
7. Ventriloquist Cat
8. Richards Himself Again
9. Double Take

The cool thing about these bands...most, if not all of them wrote their own songs and put out tapes and CDs.  I still enjoy listening to those tracks today.

I saw a few posts regarding Pearl Jam.  They played the Varsity Theatre. My buddy and I were local "roadies" for the band.  We drove them around town, to music stores and their hotel (they stayed at the Pfister).  MU booked Pearl Jam just before the album "10" took off.  Pearl Jam was playing venues much larger (and for more money) by the time the rolled into Milwaukee.  MU got very lucky...the band almost cancelled the show when they realized the varsity theatre had seats that could not be removed!  This was one of the first shows at MU that required an MU ID to get in due to the band's popularity.  A very cool moment in MU Concerts. MU always did a great job booking bands and the students did a great job forming bands (not sure where the MU bands play today...there aren't too many bars left in the MU neighborhood that can handle live music) and putting on shows.  Most important...the general student population supported their friends which made the whole "Marquette Music Scene" an awesome thing.  And Jiggles Fest?...that is a weekend I'd go back to the late 80" for in a heartbeat!

I was looking for this thread just for Secret Goldfish! I knew the bassist (I think he was) and I still play the CD once and a while. Good stuff!

Best concerts of my time @ MU:
- Breeders/Belly
- Radiohead (awesome)
- Jon Spencers Blues Explosion
- Ben Harper & the Innocent Criminals (weird concert. In the Cafeteria, with about 100-150 or so people. I was able to walk right to the front. Great vibes)
- Luscious Jackson
- James (Forgot who was the opening act but James had a great flow)
- Blind Melon

I don't remember Frank Black being there but I guess he was. Also, J Mascis.
Kicking myself for not seeing Common and the Beatnuts.
Can't remember if the Gin Blossoms were at MU; I think they were.
SS Marquette

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2014, 07:22:30 AM »
What is this Jiggles Fest?

I think (or hope) a few people need to spend some time updating the wiki. 

Henry,
As my Freshman year RA at McCormick said back in the spring of '88, "It's a day of peace, music and 'schrooms."  I skipped the 'schrooms part and remember walking over the viaduct to the Domes, but I don't remember the walk back.  I do remember some guy who looked like an Indian with an empty bottle of whiskey falling into a bonfire.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2014, 07:24:42 AM »
Pearl Jam did in fact play a show at ASMU prior to becoming well known.  I was in school at the time ('89-'93) but can't remember the year.  Of course, me being the dumbass that I am did not attend for some reason or another, although a bunch of my friends did. 

My brother is an MU '93 grad and I remember him telling me he went to see them at the ASMU and that it was a hot ticket on campus.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2014, 07:25:57 AM »
My favorite Jiggles Fest moment was when it was moved to the Eagles Club because of rain, but everyone went down to the Lake anyway.  We drained a couple half barrels that afternoon...and then went to the Eagles Club that night.  I think that was Spring of 90.

I remember that.  Sort of......

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2014, 07:30:29 AM »
I was a Building Manager at the AMU (along with Chicos) the first 2 years it was open.  I remember working a weekend night when there was a concert that we were totally unprepared for.  There were hundreds of non-MU people there and it was chaos.  People smoking in the lounge areas and dropping their lit butts on the carpeting and, oh yeah, we were so distracted trying to keep the building from burning down and trashed that we left a meeting room on the 3rd floor unlocked after a some group's meeting and a VCR was stolen.  I later heard someone say they heard someone was trying to sell it on Wells St. later that night.

I don't know how they kept be from quitting after that night.

As the years past, I kept trying to remember who the band was.  My wife thinks it was Pearl Jam, but I guess I couldn't believe a band that ended up so big could have been at the AMU.

I was Assistant Building Manager at Brooks and later the ASMU ('87 - '91).  By Junior year they wanted me to be a Building Manager, but I didn't want to work Friday nights (and cut into party time or something stupid like that) and I think it meant more hours/week also and my engineering schedule was busy enough.

feedback