[Today at 12:26:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by swoopem
[Today at 11:59:16 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favre talking to Vikings...here we go again  (Read 70091 times)

g0lden3agle

• All American
Re: Favre talking to Vikings...here we go again
« Reply #225 on: August 18, 2009, 01:40:02 PM »
How does a worn down 39 year old think he can step in during the middle of preseason and be effective?  He says things like his body is worn down and what not, cries to Peter King daily, and then thinks he'll come right in and just "get it."  

Did you watch the first half of last season? Favre was dominant until a biceps injury and cold weather got in his way.  8 Home games in the metrodome + months of recovery on the arm including surgery, and lets not forget he will now be behind one of the best offensive lines in the league with arguably the best RB in the game to hand off to... Yeah, that should be enough for a different story this year.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 01:41:48 PM by g0lden3agle »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #226 on: August 18, 2009, 01:44:19 PM »
I absolutely love the lengths Packers fans are going to to convince themselves Favre is done. It's comical, and part of the reason I've grown to dislike Packers fans.

This is a perfect situation for Favre. He knows the system. He's got the best RB in the league. A great defense. And look at the schedule- Only 2 of the last 10 games could be considered "cold weather" games. It sets up perfectly.

He doesn't have to be the guy in Minnesota. And that is huge. All he has to do is not screw it up. And judging by last year, when healthy, he's still got it.

Now whether he can stay healthy is a valid concern. But the Vikings just became a contender in the NFC.

*DISCLAIMER- Written by a Packers fan*

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #227 on: August 18, 2009, 01:47:16 PM »
I absolutely love the lengths Packers fans are going to to convince themselves Favre is done. It's comical, and part of the reason I've grown to dislike Packers fans.

This is a perfect situation for Favre. He knows the system. He's got the best RB in the league. A great defense. And look at the schedule- Only 2 of the last 10 games could be considered "cold weather" games. It sets up perfectly.

He doesn't have to be the guy in Minnesota. And that is huge. All he has to do is not screw it up. And judging by last year, when healthy, he's still got it.

Now whether he can stay healthy is a valid concern. But the Vikings just became a contender in the NFC.

*DISCLAIMER- Written by a Packers fan*

You are starting to dislike your own kind?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #228 on: August 18, 2009, 01:54:21 PM »
All he has to do is not screw it up.

See: NFL Career Interceptions List, line item 1

LON

• All American
« Reply #229 on: August 18, 2009, 01:58:43 PM »

Did you watch the first half of last season? Favre was dominant until a biceps injury and cold weather got in his way.  8 Home games in the metrodome + months of recovery on the arm including surgery, and lets not forget he will now be behind one of the best offensive lines in the league with arguably the best RB in the game to hand off to... Yeah, that should be enough for a different story this year.

Tossing the ball around to a JV squad doesn't get you ready for an NFL season...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #230 on: August 18, 2009, 02:00:49 PM »
Did you watch the first half of last season? Favre was dominant until a biceps injury and cold weather got in his way.  8 Home games in the metrodome + months of recovery on the arm including surgery, and lets not forget he will now be behind one of the best offensive lines in the league with arguably the best RB in the game to hand off to... Yeah, that should be enough for a different story this year.

He was not "dominant" even early in the year.  He had a couple big games early and two huge games back to back against the Patriots and the Titans mid-year.  Before that he was good...but not great.  After that he was horrid.

Aaron Rodgers had a better statistical year than Favre did last year.  He was actually better pre-injury than Favre.  And that isn't just subjective judgement...that is objectively the case if you look at the statistics.  I honestly think that Rodgers is a better quarterback.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #231 on: August 18, 2009, 02:03:08 PM »
I think we should take a quick break to think about how much brett farve loves the game.  I mean seriously the man is insane with love for the sport of foot ball.  He has the joy of a child on his face after every play and a 2nd to none attitude.  The only reason he keeps going out there because he loves the game, even though he plays for another team you have to admire how much he loves this game.  

They just said that he will be starting on friday.  2 days to practice.

LON

• All American
« Reply #232 on: August 18, 2009, 02:04:48 PM »
I think we should take a quick break to think about how much brett farve loves the game.  I mean seriously the man is insane with love for the sport of foot ball.  He has the joy of a child on his face after every play and a 2nd to none attitude.  The only reason he keeps going out there because he loves the game, even though he plays for another team you have to admire how much he loves this game.  

They just said that he will be starting on friday.  2 days to practice.

I find it hilarious how dumb Favre makes ESPN look every year...

Can't wait until he signs with the 49ers next year.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #233 on: August 18, 2009, 02:08:17 PM »
Tossing the ball around to a JV squad doesn't get you ready for an NFL season...

Again, he did the same thing last year and would have been fine had he not injured his Biceps and had to play in cold weather a lot in the end of the season.

He was not "dominant" even early in the year.  He had a couple big games early and two huge games back to back against the Patriots and the Titans mid-year.  Before that he was good...but not great.  After that he was horrid.

Aaron Rodgers had a better statistical year than Favre did last year.  He was actually better pre-injury than Favre.  And that isn't just subjective judgement...that is objectively the case if you look at the statistics.  I honestly think that Rodgers is a better quarterback.

Ok, maybe not dominant but still good, good enough for the Vikings to think Tavaris and Sage are not performing as well as or better than Favre did last year.  And I was not contesting who is the better quarterback now, I was not trying to say that the Packers made a bad move last year what so ever.  I WAS saying that I don't see any reason why he won't be successful as a Viking.  I don't see what Rodgers has to do with this, were the Vikings supposed to try to trade for him instead?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #234 on: August 18, 2009, 02:09:48 PM »
See: NFL Career Interceptions List, line item 1

Bingo.  He's never valued the ball and that's always been my issue with him.  Turnovers are a killer in the NFL.

LON

• All American
« Reply #235 on: August 18, 2009, 02:14:00 PM »
Bingo.  He's never valued the ball and that's always been my issue with him.  Turnovers are a killer in the NFL.

At least they won't have to worry about local blackouts anymore...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #236 on: August 18, 2009, 02:16:15 PM »
Ok, maybe not dominant but still good, good enough for the Vikings to think Tavaris and Sage are not performing as well as or better than Favre did last year.  

I am listening to Boers & Bernstein right now, and they are interviewing a guy from the Star-Tribune who is implying that this move is going to backfire on them because this is the owner overriding his football people.  Childress said that he had to be there for the entire camp and that they weren't going to pay a lot of money...and he caved on both counts.  

Who knows?  I just don't think he's the type to fall into a "game management" type of role and soon will be whipping the ball all over the place.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #237 on: August 18, 2009, 02:17:31 PM »

Who knows?  I just don't think he's the type to fall into a "game management" type of role and soon will be whipping the ball all over the place.

Hopefully he sees that he is not the center of attention on this offense and acts accordingly. I do have my doubts about this though, as the Jets has a very good run game and he still managed to try to gun sling a lot.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #238 on: August 18, 2009, 02:23:48 PM »
Hopefully he sees that he is not the center of attention on this offense and acts accordingly. I do have my doubts about this though, as the Jets has a very good run game and he still managed to try to gun sling a lot.
That's the thing.  If he realizes he's not the centerpiece of the offense then yes he will greatly help the Vikings.  But what is there to show that he realizes this?  He's the most self-centered player in the NFL.  He's retired twice in the last 11 months.  He's said he's done for good a number of times, and yet here he is.  BUT he is only here AFTER training camp is done and today is the last day of 2-a-days for the Vikings.  Ironic?  I don't think so.  Pretty convenient.  He'll be a hit for a couple weeks, and then he'll start throwing the most ridiculous passes that even in his prime still would have been interceptions, and Sage will end up looking like the better option, because he actually realizes that his job is to grab the snap and get it to Adrian Peterson as quickly as he can.  I don't think Brett will ever realize that.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #239 on: August 18, 2009, 02:33:49 PM »
I love the franchise more than one player.

So love what he did for the franchise, not afterwards!

LON

• All American
« Reply #240 on: August 18, 2009, 02:40:20 PM »
So love what he did for the franchise, not afterwards!
let's see, he strings the packers along only to waffle and then wants to play at the last minute, then he demands a trade to division rival, then all the nonsense with the jets and then he basically forces the jets to release him to string mn along until after training camp...

Sounds like a guy who deserves my respect and admiration

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2009, 02:44:35 PM »
let's see, he strings the packers along only to waffle and then wants to play at the last minute, then he demands a trade to division rival, then all the nonsense with the jets and then he basically forces the jets to release him to string mn along until after training camp...

Sounds like a guy who deserves my respect and admiration

So when Favre goes to the HOF, you hope he doesn't enter in as a packer?  Cause it sounds like you hope he has nothing to do with the franchise

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #242 on: August 18, 2009, 02:46:20 PM »
Anyone know where I can get a #4 Favre Vikings jersey in the Milwaukee area?

Sure would love to walk into work with one of those on tomorrow.

(And in answer to above .. Favre beats GB twice this year, wins the SB, goes into HOF as a Viking.  ;D)

LON

• All American
« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2009, 03:09:34 PM »
So when Favre goes to the HOF, you hope he doesn't enter in as a packer?  Cause it sounds like you hope he has nothing to do with the franchise
of course he'll go in as a Packer but just because I don't worship him like some people doesn't mean I can't call him out as a media whoring douche

LON

• All American
« Reply #244 on: August 18, 2009, 03:17:38 PM »
goes into HOF as a Viking.  ;D)

That'd be like Rollie Fingers going in as a Brewer...

EDIT:  Maybe not the greatest analogy, but it would have been a joke.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 03:19:21 PM by LancesOtherNut »

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
That'd be like Rollie Fingers going in as a Brewer...

Or Wade Boggs going in as a Devil Ray.....oh wait he did.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2009, 03:21:52 PM »
From Peter King's column today:

"Childress has looked like a desperate man throughout this melodrama. He made it known internally that Favre had to do at least some work in the offseason program or the veteran mini-camp to be considered. Favre never showed. Then he had to come by the start of camp. Favre didn't come, opting for his third false retirement in 17 months. Now the Vikings let him come back after the team has gone through training camp. Favre's the wishy-washiest player in memory -- and the Vikings are his enablers. It's ridiculous."

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #247 on: August 18, 2009, 03:23:28 PM »

LON

• All American
« Reply #248 on: August 18, 2009, 03:26:48 PM »
From Peter King's column today:

"Childress has looked like a desperate man throughout this melodrama. He made it known internally that Favre had to do at least some work in the offseason program or the veteran mini-camp to be considered. Favre never showed. Then he had to come by the start of camp. Favre didn't come, opting for his third false retirement in 17 months. Now the Vikings let him come back after the team has gone through training camp. Favre's the wishy-washiest player in memory -- and the Vikings are his enablers. It's ridiculous."

And Peter King the biggest enabler of them all...Favre had King's 5,000 words of (garbage) space carte blanche when this whole (un)retirement thing started up again earlier this year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #249 on: August 18, 2009, 03:33:55 PM »
And Peter King the biggest enabler of them all...Favre had King's 5,000 words of (garbage) space carte blanche when this whole (un)retirement thing started up again earlier this year.

And that should tell you something right?