[Today at 08:39:32 AM]

Shaka interview by Scoop Snoop
[April 29, 2024, 10:20:04 PM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by tower912
[April 29, 2024, 08:11:30 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by GoldenEagles03
[April 29, 2024, 12:21:14 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Favre talking to Vikings...here we go again  (Read 70030 times)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
Re: Favre talking to Vikings...here we go again
« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2009, 02:46:19 PM »
They beat 4 teams with winning records.  The win against the Giants does not count since the Giants did not show up to play the second half. They also only beat the Giants by 1 point. That leaves 3 victories against winning teams.

Carolina 12-4  Good Win
Bears 9-7  Mediocre team
Arizona 9-7  at the time a mediocre win

Not very impressive.  I know a team has no control of their schedule, but their mediocrity shined in the playoffs at home.

Fair enough.

We can just agree to disagree.

I know not all 10-6 teams are equal, but I would say that they are all good teams because in the modern NFL, the line between winning and losing is so thin.

Was there an 8-8 team out there just as good as the Vikes? Maybe. But, if that team was so good, they would have found a way to go 10-6  ;)

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »
Fair enough.

We can just agree to disagree.

I know not all 10-6 teams are equal, but I would say that they are all good teams because in the modern NFL, the line between winning and losing is so thin.

Was there an 8-8 team out there just as good as the Vikes? Maybe. But, if that team was so good, they would have found a way to go 10-6  ;)

I agree.  The Bears were arguably 5-10 plays away from being 12-4 instead of 9-7.  Those games being Atlanta, Carolina and Tampa Bay.

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2009, 04:33:04 PM »
So, it's ok if he plays... he just can't play for a team that could hurt the Pack?

What if he stayed with the Jets this season and beat the Pack in the Superbowl?

Is that ok, or would he be a jerk then too?

If the Jets had beaten the Packers in a mythical Super bowl it means they had the better team and deserved to win.  There are several ex-Packers that have gone on to play for the Vikings.  While I have a hard time rooting for anyone that goes to play for a heated division rival, I don't wish them ill will at all.
They of coarse were never considered the face of the Packers franchise nor were they under contract to the Packers.  They also did not go out of their way to manipulate what team that they wanted to play for while they were still under contract.

It is my understanding that Jets management wanted Farve back for the second and final year of Farve's 2 year contract.  If Farve is really only a highly competitive guy who wants a chance at a second ring then the Jets provided that opportunity last year and would again provide an opportunity this year since they should still be considered a playoff type team for this upcoming season had Farve returned.

As I said before my greatest fear is that the Vikings HC will get fired because of Farve and then a qualified HC then takes over a VERY good team.  Farve becoming the Vikings QB will only speed up the process before someone competent is hired.   Hopefully the Vikings window of opportunity will be closed by the time that Viking management understands what has happened.  If Holmgren, Cower or Dungy were to become the Viking HC the division would be theirs for the taking with the talent on that team because they are all strong, competent HC’s that command respect and could control Farve’s play.

Yes I will miss seeing the joy that shows up on Farve’s face as he plays the game.  The enthusiasm he displayed as he laid into a lead block for one of his rb’s.  I will miss seeing the excitement that he generated among the fans of all teams.  I will not however miss watching him make any more boneheaded decisions that will hurt my team.  That bad feeling will now belong to Vikings fans.

This whole ongoing, messy Farve situation makes me feel like a cat that is having trouble throwing up a bad hairball.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #178 on: June 25, 2009, 05:39:04 PM »
I can understand the passion and frustration with the guy. He's certainly an enigma.

I'm just trying to get my head around why/how so many people rationalized that it was ok for him to play for the Jets, or ok for Reggie to play for the Panthers... but it's definitely NOT ok to play for the Vikings.

Do people really hate the Vikings that much?

Maybe this isn't as much about Brett, but about who he is actually trying to play for. Seems to be a lot of hatred for players that wear purple.

I think Brett's trying to go there because he thinks he can win... but I know a lot of Packer fans think he's going there to screw the Packers and their fans.

It's going to make it interesting...that's for sure.

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #179 on: June 25, 2009, 06:43:24 PM »
I can understand the passion and frustration with the guy. He's certainly an enigma.

I'm just trying to get my head around why/how so many people rationalized that it was ok for him to play for the Jets, or ok for Reggie to play for the Panthers... but it's definitely NOT ok to play for the Vikings.  No.  He can play for the Vikings.  It's how he has gone about his business that leaves a distaste in my mouth.

Do people really hate the Vikings that much?  The Vikings are all talk and no rewards.  If the Vikings talked and played like the Twins do, maybe there would be a NFL championship banner in Minnesota by now.

Maybe this isn't as much about Brett, but about who he is actually trying to play for. Seems to be a lot of hatred for players that wear purple.  Packer fans generally don't hate the Bears because they have produced an NFL championship.  There is great banter between both groups of fans.  Unlike Vikings who's fans seems to always insist that a championship is a forgone conclusion.

I think Brett's trying to go there because he thinks he can win... but I know a lot of Packer fans think he's going there to screw the Packers and their fans.  He is there for both reasons.

It's going to make it interesting...that's for sure. Yes it will.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #180 on: July 24, 2009, 09:15:32 AM »
Surprise!  Favre's is now feeling conflicted about joining the Vikings.

He's the only guy who needs a shrink for a position coach.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2009, 11:32:50 AM »
Can't the guy just go away.  It had been a nice couple days not seeing a Favre story on sportscenter. I am so sick of hearing about the will he or won't he.  I can't imagine how bad this is going to be if he returns.  The week leading up the first Vikes - Pack game will be a circus.

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2009, 12:24:55 PM »
I saw a few guys at Miller Park already wearing the Favre Vikings jersey.  I couldn't believe it!

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2009, 12:25:55 PM »
I say bring it on Brent.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2009, 12:28:55 PM »
I say bring it on Brent.

BRENT! HAHAHA! YOU'RE HILARIOUS!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2009, 02:35:57 PM »
He's feeling 'conflicted' so that when he comes back and bombs out, he has cover to say something along the lines of, "Looking back, I guess my heart wasn't really in it, I had doubts about my ability to play 16 games and make all the throws, but the coaching staff and players were pushing me and encouraging me so much, I guess I talked myself into it..."

Translation: Don't be mad at me, I didn't want to come back, but they talked me into it. Blame Childress, Bevel, Petersen, etc.

As I said in the very post in this thread. I welcome him back. It increases, not decreases the Packers chances of winning the division (same for the bears).

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2009, 05:38:49 PM »
As I said in the very post in this thread. I welcome him back. It increases, not decreases the Packers chances of winning the division (same for the bears).

That is utterly ridiculous.  Either you're having a love affair with Sage Rosenfels or are just upset with this old Favre guy.  The defending division champion-Vikings are the class of the NFC North with or without Favre, but having him on our squad this season would be better than not and 95% of the world would agree with me on that. 
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2009, 10:36:36 PM »
  That is utterly ridiculous.  Either you're having a love affair with Sage Rosenfels or are just upset with this old Favre guy.  The defending division champion-Vikings are the class of the NFC North with or without Favre, but having him on our squad this season would be better than not and 95% of the world would agree with me on that. 

Except for that fact that he's hurt, a year older, and can't play anymore. Throw in his now well documented ability to poison a locker room, and a pathetic excuse for a coach, and you have a sure fire recipe to blow that team up.

I don't care what he does anymore. He has reached the point of irrelevance to me, but as a Packer fan, I will be glad to hear him announce his decision to play for the Vikings.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2009, 08:53:36 AM »
Ultimate drama queen.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Marquette08

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »
Favre is a great quartback.  But if he signs with the Vikings I just hope the packers would blitz the crap out of him and knock him on his ass!!!!   I’m a big Favre fan but every year it’s the same crap.    Just stay retried and enjoy it!!!

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #190 on: July 28, 2009, 04:23:17 PM »
Per ESPN news text...

Favre informs Childress he plans to stay retired.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Gwaki

• All American
« Reply #191 on: July 28, 2009, 05:02:22 PM »
Stays retired because he doesnt think he can deal with the grind again

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #192 on: July 28, 2009, 05:07:50 PM »
Oh no... now our hopes of winning the Super Bowl here in Minnesota are over.

Somehow I don't trust that it's a done deal quite yet.  Ahhwell, either way, we're in a crap division and will win it once again.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2009, 05:11:26 PM »
care to put a wager on that?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #194 on: July 28, 2009, 05:15:14 PM »
care to put a wager on that?

On the Vikings winning the NFC North this season?  Absolutely.  [although I will admit I lost my only muscoop.com bet, to reinko - Vikes vs. Eagles in the playoffs... but this one I am SURE of].

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2009, 05:53:16 PM »
Oh no... now our hopes of winning the Super Bowl here in Minnesota are over.

Hopes of vikings winning the Super Bowl ended in 1960.

Check out the 3 easiest schedules in the NFL next year.  Thanks Detroit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/news/story?id=4027503

deep vacuum

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #196 on: July 28, 2009, 06:29:36 PM »
Per ESPN news text...

Favre informs Childress he plans to stay retired.
As a Packer fan all I can say is this is terrible news.  The Vikings are a better team without him.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #197 on: July 28, 2009, 07:18:49 PM »
Jay Bee is a man of his word, and I would like to personally thank him for getting me ripped drunk with the 30 rack of Miller Lite that the bet bought me.

Thanks Jay Bee.

Skol Miller Lite!

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #198 on: July 28, 2009, 09:16:43 PM »
As a Packer fan all I can say is this is terrible news.  The Vikings are a better team without him.

Agreed. This will be presented as good news for Packer and Bear fans, when it is absolutely the opposite.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #199 on: July 29, 2009, 09:37:40 AM »
If this doesn't prove that TT and the Packers management weren't right nothing does.

feedback