'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

NM by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 02:03:20 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MU82
[Today at 12:03:03 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Patrick Hazel to transfer from Marquette University  (Read 26615 times)

CrackedSidewalksSays

Patrick Hazel to transfer from Marquette University

Written by: noreply@blogger.com (muwarrior92)

Fox Sports a few days ago posted a list of upcoming transfers from division one schools.  We confirmed tonight with Fox Sports that Hazel will, indeed, be transferring from Marquette University.  Though nothing official has come from Buzz Williams, his staff, or the athletic department, Fox Sports indicated that it is definitely happening per sources close to the program (i.e. from a coach or administrator on the staff).

The move should not catch anyone by surprise.  Hazel did not play any significant minutes down the stretch for Buzz's squad, even in blowout games (30 point win against St. John's) or contests where a tall body seemed the order of the day.  Hazel failed to appear in any of the final ten games of the season.  With Marquette over the limit by one scholarship, a transfer has been widely expected for weeks with Hazel the most likely candidate.

Hazel played in 21 games this season and averaged just a shade over 2 points per game.  Hazel is from Queens, NY.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2009/04/patrick-hazel-to-transfer-from.html

wermarquette

• Scholarship Player
damn. as much as we could all see it coming it still sucks. i really liked hazell and thought he was fun to watch with the energy he brought. best of luck to him

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
i really liked hazell and thought he was fun to watch with the energy he brought.

Jeremy Hazell, from SHU, was fun to watch and brought lots of energy.

I wish Pat Hazel the best of luck in his future endeavors.  Unfortunate he never became the player we all hoped he'd be, but perhaps he'll find his groove somewhere else.

HoopsMalone

• All American
Tough spot for a guy when the coach who recruits him left.  He just did not seem to fit into Buzz's system.  Echoing the above posts, best of luck to him.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Tough spot for a guy when the coach who recruits him left.  He just did not seem to fit into Buzz's system.  Echoing the above posts, best of luck to him.

Based on his playing time in his freshmen year, he didn't fit in Crean's system, either.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

JTBMU7

• All American
Good luck to him, tough spot to be in, especially with everyone assuming(correctly) for the last 2 months that he was out...

On another note, i wonder what the history of success is behind players who have transferred from MU? I can't think of any that went on to any measure of success, any thoughts?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
On another note, i wonder what the history of success is behind players who have transferred from MU? I can't think of any that went on to any measure of success, any thoughts?

You normally don't leave a Big East team looking for a step up.  You leave becuase you are over matched.  See Scott C. last year.

About the closest you will find to having sucess elsewhere is Mason at LSU.  On the other side, few will be more helpful than Robert Jackson transferring in to MU.  Acker is also a plus transferring in.

ATWizJr

• All American
doesn't this have more to do with off court issues?

bma725

• All American
Good luck to him, tough spot to be in, especially with everyone assuming(correctly) for the last 2 months that he was out...

Odartey Blankson did pretty well for himself after he left for UNLV, but that's about it.

esotericmindguy

• All American

Yes, I believe that is correct....

ecompt

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Patrick Hazel to transfer from Marquette University
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 07:26:05 AM »
Ron Howard, who transferred a few years back, is currently doing OK in the NBA D-League.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 07:40:55 AM »
Though he didn't become a star, I'd say Amoroso transferring to San Diego State worked out well for him, too.

I still think Hazel is Burke quality +/- 5%.  I understand that's nothing special, but why he couldn't find a few minutes on a team desperate for interior minutes is beyond me.  But two MU coaches in a row did not see enough in him to put him on the floor, so I am most definitely overestimating him.  Hopefully he can go to a lower level program and find some playing time.  I know he'd be a valuable addition to the two D-I schools in my area, Fairfield and Sacred Heart, so I'll bet there's a fit out there for him that will make both him and his new school happy.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 07:56:23 AM »
Yes, I believe that is correct....

I believe in second chances so I hope this works out well for him.  Good luck Patrick.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 08:54:37 AM »

Alright, who's going to elaborate on this?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 09:16:09 AM »
Alright, who's going to elaborate on this?

It's already been brought up and deleted, and that's best.

Let's leave it at that. The program did so Pat would have the chance to latch on somewhere else.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 09:36:44 AM »
I wish him the best of luck. Perhaps at a mid-major he could get some minutes.

gjreda

• Team Captain
  • I miss Real Chili.
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 09:39:33 AM »
It's already been brought up and deleted, and that's best.

Let's leave it at that. The program did so Pat would have the chance to latch on somewhere else.

Ah.  Well then I guess I should have been paying attention to that long Hazel thread that was going on a little while back.  Oh well.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 10:46:45 AM »
Ron Howard, who transferred a few years back, is currently doing OK in the NBA D-League.

And Karon Bradley was a solid role player on Wichita State's Sweet 16 team a few years back. He's apparently playing pro ball in Switzerland these days.

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=SUI&PlayerID=92558

Carlton Christian left Central Florida team before ever playing a game and hasn't been heard from since.
Anybody know what became of Matt Mortensen?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:50:55 AM by Pakuni »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 11:16:22 AM »
You normally don't leave a Big East team looking for a step up.  You leave becuase you are over matched.  See Scott C. last year.

About the closest you will find to having sucess elsewhere is Mason at LSU.  On the other side, few will be more helpful than Robert Jackson transferring in to MU.  Acker is also a plus transferring in.

Didn't Scott C. transfer to a Big 12 school?  Not exactly chopped liver with Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas Oklahoma State, etc

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 11:23:41 AM »
Didn't Scott C. transfer to a Big 12 school?  Not exactly chopped liver with Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas Oklahoma State, etc

Iowa State is the chopped liver of the Big 12.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 11:26:47 AM »

Iowa State is the chopped liver of the Big 12.

That may be the case but he's going to be playing against tough competition whether it was the Big East or the Big 12.....either way that's the deal from a competitive standpoint.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 11:40:31 AM »
April 13, 2009

For Immediate Release
MU Sophomore Patrick Hazel To Leave Program
New York Native Will Transfer At Conclusion Of Spring Semester

Milwaukee – Sophomore forward Patrick Hazel of the Marquette University men’s basketball team will transfer to another program at the end of the Spring semester, head coach Buzz Williams announced Monday morning.

“We are grateful for the two years Pat was a part of our institution, and our program,” Williams said. “He has been an excellent teammate since he arrived, and has done an outstanding job in the classroom. He has made the decision to go back closer to home, and hopes to have a more expanded role at his next stop. Everyone in our program wishes him nothing but the absolute best.”

In two seasons with the Golden Eagles, Hazel appeared in 35 games as a reserve. He averaged 1.6 points and 1.7 rebounds per contest in an average of 8.5 minutes per game.

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Hazel to transfer
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 11:45:03 AM »
Hazel to transfer

Sophomore forward Pat Hazel will transfer from Marquette University at the end of the spring semester, the school announced on Monday.

Hazel averaged 2.3 points and 2.1 rebounds in 21 games this past season for the Golden Eagles. He did not play in any of MU's final 10 games.

"We are grateful for the two years Pat was a part of our institution, and our program," coach Buzz Williams said in a statement released by MU.

"He has been an excellent teammate since he arrived, and has done an outstanding job in the classroom. He has made the decision to go back closer to home, and hopes to have a more expanded role at his next stop. Everyone in our program wishes him nothing but the absolute best."

Hazel's transfer clears the way for the addition of junior-college guard Darius Johnson-Odom, who orally committed to MU last week. He's expected to sign with the Golden Eagles on Wednesday, the opening day of the spring signing period.

Hazel leaves MU having averaged 1.6 points and 1.7 rebounds in 35 games as a reserve in his two seasons.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42907222.html

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 11:56:44 AM »
Odartey Blankson did pretty well for himself after he left for UNLV, but that's about it.

He walked away from a final four team.  Bad trade

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] Hazel to transfer
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 12:00:04 PM »
Hazel to transfer

Sophomore forward Pat Hazel will transfer from Marquette University at the end of the spring semester, the school announced on Monday.

Hazel averaged 2.3 points and 2.1 rebounds in 21 games this past season for the Golden Eagles. He did not play in any of MU's final 10 games.

"We are grateful for the two years Pat was a part of our institution, and our program," coach Buzz Williams said in a statement released by MU.

"He has been an excellent teammate since he arrived, and has done an outstanding job in the classroom. He has made the decision to go back closer to home, and hopes to have a more expanded role at his next stop. Everyone in our program wishes him nothing but the absolute best."

Hazel's transfer clears the way for the addition of junior-college guard Darius Johnson-Odom, who orally committed to MU last week. He's expected to sign with the Golden Eagles on Wednesday, the opening day of the spring signing period.

Hazel leaves MU having averaged 1.6 points and 1.7 rebounds in 35 games as a reserve in his two seasons.

He opened the season solidly in the rotation, and had high games of 10 points and 22 minutes against Chicago State on Nov. 17 and six rebounds against UW-Milwaukee on Nov. 22.

He played double-digit minutes in each of the Golden Eagles' first four Big East games, but then played just 32 minutes in total the rest of the way.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/42907222.html

feedback