Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

ā€œIā€™m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.ā€ -Field of 68 by Viper
[Today at 07:27:04 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[Today at 07:15:38 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by zcg2013
[Today at 01:19:59 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[Today at 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[May 30, 2024, 05:04:33 PM]

2024-25 Roster by StillAWarrior
[May 30, 2024, 03:43:45 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Patrick Hazel to transfer from Marquette University  (Read 26617 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Patrick Hazel to transfer from Marquette University
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 12:01:11 PM »
He walked away from a final four team.  Bad trade
Not only that.  ODB ended up playing the "4" spot for most of his UNLV tenure after not doing well as a 3/2 there.  could not nail the three-ball consistently.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 12:07:37 PM »
He walked away from a final four team.  Bad trade

Who says we still make the Final Four with him there? 

Forgot about cumulative talent.  Remember the contribution of guys that were given a chance to play and develop because ODB wasn't around.  Who's to say that still happens if he is there.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 12:10:12 PM »
Who says we still make the Final Four with him there? 

Forgot about cumulative talent.  Remember the contribution of guys that were given a chance to play and develop because ODB wasn't around.  Who's to say that still happens if he is there.

We'll never know.  Where ODB was missed most was the 03-04 season.

drbob

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 03:11:09 PM »
always thought that if Blankson had not transferred, we were odds on to win that year. he would have started instead of Townsend, with Novak and Chapman and Bradley still coming off the bench.Sounds damn good to me.

LON

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »
I thought ODB left because he didn't want to play 2nd fiddle to Wade?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 03:28:09 PM »
I thought ODB left because he didn't want to play 2nd fiddle to Wade?

He had a lot of people in his ear telling him a lot of different things.  That was part of it, but there was also the thought that in order to get to the NBA he needed to play on the perimeter, which may not have happened at MU.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2009, 04:19:32 PM »
It's already been brought up and deleted, and that's best.

Let's leave it at that. The program did so Pat would have the chance to latch on somewhere else.

If you factually detail a situation without passing judgment, there's nothing wrong with that. There's also nothing wrong with "reporting" a rumor, if you make it clear that it is a rumor, and it is nothing totally, completely outlandish that would harm a kid's reputation.

That said, good luck to Hazel.
We Are Marquette

bma725

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2009, 06:10:47 PM »
If you factually detail a situation without passing judgment, there's nothing wrong with that. There's also nothing wrong with "reporting" a rumor, if you make it clear that it is a rumor, and it is nothing totally, completely outlandish that would harm a kid's reputation.

That said, good luck to Hazel.

What was posted would harm the kids reputation and hurt his chances of catching on elsewhere.

Joe Thompson

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2009, 06:52:03 PM »
What was posted would harm the kids reputation and hurt his chances of catching on elsewhere.

A wonderful lesson in covering up indiscretions.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2009, 07:27:26 PM »

I don't care one way or the other whether it's posted.
But I suspect that if Patrick did something irresponsible or inappropriate, other schools won't need or go to MU Scoop to find out about it.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2009, 08:04:54 PM »
Well, here is my question, is Roseboro an upgrade from Hazel?  If Roseboro is not a clear improvement,  then why was Roseboro recruited and Hazel given the ax?  Can Roseboro block, run, rebound?  At least Hazel could do that and has DIV I experience.

Ari Gold

• All American
  • L.H.I.O.B.
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2009, 08:06:55 PM »
Do you think Layer will take Hazel with him to Liberty?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 08:12:12 PM »
Well, here is my question, is Roseboro an upgrade from Hazel?  If Roseboro is not a clear improvement,  then why was Roseboro recruited and Hazel given the ax?  Can Roseboro block, run, rebound?  At least Hazel could do that and has DIV I experience.

Hazel was not given the ax because of playing ability.  MU has chosen not to report the actual reasons for his leaving out of respect to Pat, but he's not being kicked off the team because Buzz feels he can get a better player.

Roseboro and Hazel are totally different players.  Pat was a center in the body of a 6'5 small forward, and he didn't have good offensive skills for either position.  Roseboro is a legit 6'9 if not taller now, and he has a very good offensive game.  Hazel also had major problems grasping the offense Buzz is trying to implement, and with his body type and skills he's not really a fit for that offense either.  Roseboro is, and if he develops the way the coaches think he will, he'd be a perfect fit for the 4 out 1 in motion that Buzz wants to run.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2009, 08:30:29 PM »
Do you think Layer will take Hazel with him to Liberty?

Yeah...with his off court problems here, he'd be a great fit at Liberty.

mviale

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2009, 09:52:51 PM »
Best Wishes.  Patrick played tough when he was given the chance.

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2009, 09:23:28 AM »
Hazel also had major problems grasping the offense Buzz is trying to implement,.
To elaborate on that point, before a game this season, they played a video on the JumboTron, asking the players which one of them does the best Buzz impression.  Most guys said Lazar, and then Lazar did his impression.  Now, he could have said anything, of course, but what he chose to say was:

"PAT!  I told you SIX seconds ago that you have to stand HERE to set the screen!  SIX SECONDS AGO, PAT!"

And again, they played this in front of THOUSANDS of people who were already in the BC for the game.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

oshkoshbgosh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2009, 11:25:21 AM »
"I still think Hazel is Burke quality +/- 5%."

That's the meanest thing I've ever read on this board.

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2009, 12:45:18 PM »
So the posts about Hazel's problems got deleted.  Just out of curiosity, can someone send me a pm explaining what was going on?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2009, 01:49:13 PM »
Hazel's problems

Without going into details, I need to provide some context to avoid wild speculation...

From what I understand, Pat did something wrong (not involving drugs, violence, women, or violating NCAA rules...), and then when it was found out, he made things right.  Honestly, I think a lot of college students *might* do the exact same thing Pat did if given the chance. 

Nonetheless, I'm sure it was against team rules, and the rest you all know about.  Ok.  "nuff said.  Please stop asking.  Hazel sounds like a good kid, and I hope he gets a chance at another school.

Tommy Brice for Coach

• Team Captain
  • Tommy Brice is my hero
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2009, 02:12:33 PM »
So the posts about Hazel's problems got deleted.  Just out of curiosity, can someone send me a pm explaining what was going on?

+1. I'm pretty curious.

ChuckyChip

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2009, 02:20:09 PM »
Was Hazel's "punishment" based, in part at least, on his basketball ability?  In other words, if Butler or Lazar had done the same thing, would they have rode the bench the remainder of the season and then been shown the door?  Or was a relatively minor incident used to clear a roster spot?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2009, 03:08:49 PM »
Without going into details, I need to provide some context to avoid wild speculation...

From what I understand, Pat did something wrong (not involving drugs, violence, women, or violating NCAA rules...), and then when it was found out, he made things right.  Honestly, I think a lot of college students *might* do the exact same thing Pat did if given the chance. 

Nonetheless, I'm sure it was against team rules, and the rest you all know about.  Ok.  "nuff said.  Please stop asking.  Hazel sounds like a good kid, and I hope he gets a chance at another school.

I'm not saying I disagree with you, but you certainly could be accused of bending over backward to spin things in Pat's favor.  If what was posted on this board previously (I'm not going to post it because TPTB obviously don't want it here) is accurate, it is against the law, as well as against team rules.  And with that, I've probably gone too far and this post/thread will be deleted.

Edited because I can't spell.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:16:26 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2009, 03:10:16 PM »
They would have played but still would have transferred at the end of the season.  See Dameon Mason as a prime example.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2009, 03:21:24 PM »
I'm not saying I disagree with you, but you certainly could be accused of bending over backward to spin things in Pat's favor.  If what was posted on this board previously (I'm not going to post it because TPTB obviously don't want it here) is accurate, it is against the law, as well as against team rules.  And with that, I've probably gone too far and this post/thread will be deleted.

Edited because I can't spell.

I think because these guys are amateur athletes, they deserve a break from the scrutiny that a pro player would receive.

I don't know the whole story with Pat, but if Buzz and the AD are happy to let him rot on the bench before he transfers, I'm fine with that as a punishment.

Given MU's track record of good players/good people... I trust the judgment of those involved with the program.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2009, 07:56:40 PM »
I cannot decide which is worse. A public University that keeps reinstating players who cause physical harm to others or a Catholic University that drops a player for making a stupid decision. I wonder were the intolerence comes from. Crean ran off a few players too because of problems so this is not just Buzz's decision. Maybe this is filtering down from Fr. Wild? I thought McGuire handle it the right way. He made players apoligize to the home crowd before the start of the game for embarassing the University. I always thought I would not want to have to apoligize to 11,000+ people. A perfect example of this was Larry McNeal having to apoligize for his wife getting in a fight in the stands at the prior game. McGuire's discipline never hurt the team. Suspending a player can result in a loss, which hurts the team, fans and the University's pocket book if it hurts your NCAA chances. While Hazel was not a great player maybe 5 minutes from him against South Florida would have made a difference in that game. As they say at my church "hate the sin, but love the sinner". Assuming there is a zero tolerence policy, I hope it is made clear to players before they sign their letter of intent.