'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Cracked Sidewalks] Patrick Hazel to transfer from Marquette University  (Read 26614 times)

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
Re: [Cracked Sidewalks] Patrick Hazel to transfer from Marquette University
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2009, 12:25:28 PM »
My thought is this.....

I think it is admirable that MU wants to keep Pat's name clean and try to give him a second chance

I also think that in the real world, no one is going to cover up your mistake and give you a clean second chance.  The second chance will come, but what you do will stick with you for the rest of your life.

This is a touchy debate and one that has no right or wrong answer.  Like I said, I like the idea of MU keeping the issue in house, but I also do not think it helps Pat's future by giving him the impression that every mistake he makes will be covered up for his "image"

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2009, 12:38:53 PM »
I also do not think it helps Pat's future by giving him the impression that every mistake he makes will be covered up for his "image"

Fair.

But, then shouldn't MU publish all of the kid's names who get drinking tickets, or get written up in the DPS reports? I'm guessing the team knows what's going on. It's not like Buzz is keeping some huge secret. They just aren't telling the media about it, nor do they want it posted on a blog or website.

At the end of the day, Pat is a student... I don't think MU is trying "cover-up" for Pat. He just doesn't need his name out there anymore than a normal student would.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2009, 12:57:23 PM »
That's a really good point.   I will guarantee you that an incident like Hazel's happens a dozen times a week on campus.   Hell, look at the thread on Scoop, describing "Dorm Room Shenanigans" .. there's 100 crimes detailed in there, from theft, to vandalism to urinating on doorways. 

Other kids, they do that stuff, it's hardly a footnote on their character.  Maybe mom and dad find out, but that's pretty much the end of it, a bit of restitution, etc.  Young basketball players do stupid stuff too, no doubt, but if their transgressions leak out, the world knows, and it has a much greater impact.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2009, 01:03:55 PM »
That's a really good point.   I will guarantee you that an incident like Hazel's happens a dozen times a week on campus.   Hell, look at the thread on Scoop, describing "Dorm Room Shenanigans" .. there's 100 crimes detailed in there, from theft, to vandalism to urinating on doorways. 

Other kids, they do that stuff, it's hardly a footnote on their character.  Maybe mom and dad find out, but that's pretty much the end of it, a bit of restitution, etc.  Young basketball players do stupid stuff too, no doubt, but if their transgressions leak out, the world knows, and it has a much greater impact.

Fair enough, but I also think that just saying "I'm sorry" and "making things right" wouldn't make the situation go away for some students.  Celebrity has its disadvantages (e.g., people find out about things you do) and also has its advantages (e.g., people may be willing to let some things go).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2009, 01:49:40 PM »
Fair enough, but I also think that just saying "I'm sorry" and "making things right" wouldn't make the situation go away for some students.  Celebrity has its disadvantages (e.g., people find out about things you do) and also has its advantages (e.g., people may be willing to let some things go).

While I think you are right, I'd rather error on the side of treating them more like a student than treating them more like a celebrity.

These guys are amateur athletes who don't get paid. There are some nice perks to being on the hoops team (no doubt), but I'm not sure the perks mean that the kid's laundry needs to be talked about on a message board.

MUWarrior11

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
For the record, I know for a fact that Hazel did indeed personally apologize to the parties involved.  I saw the apology in writing (typed), firsthand.

Kid made a mistake.  Wish him the best and move on.

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2009, 03:19:04 PM »
I think it's ironic that everyone advocating for player secrecy here already knows what Hazel did. 

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2009, 03:29:50 PM »
I think it's ironic that everyone advocating for player secrecy here already knows what Hazel did. 

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

<---- Has no idea what PH did and isn't losing any sleep over it either.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2009, 04:06:28 PM »

Only a select few of the things posted in that forum would actually result in getting kicked out of Marquette.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • āœ… Verified Member
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2009, 04:08:54 PM »
Only a select few of the things posted in that forum would actually result in getting kicked out of Marquette.

Correct, but most of them would get you asked not to return to Buzz's team.

Getting kicked out of school and having your full-ride rescinded by a Coach are two completely different things.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2009, 04:13:13 PM »
Being on a full ride basketball scholarship holds you to a higher standard than everyone else.....

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2009, 04:16:43 PM »

Getting kicked out of school and having your full-ride rescinded by a Coach are two completely different things.

Not when your ability to stay in school is a full-ride scholarship.

Other schools will generally at least say, "Player X has been asked to leave the team due to violating a team rule" even if they never state what the team rule violation was.

Most of those players land elsewhere. So the argument that airing whatever he did would keep him from transferring to another school/team is completely bogus unless he did something that violated NCAA rules or was highly illegal.

tharocket

• Walk-On
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2009, 04:30:53 PM »
I will trade someone 100% verified knowledge of what Matt Mortenson did to get kicked off the team if they tell me what Pat Hazel did.

Any takers?

Come one, come all!!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2009, 05:13:04 PM »
Matt was booted because he did something that made him ineligible under NCAA rules and it was not academics.  Kind of a limited universe of possibilities I would bet.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2009, 05:14:57 PM »
I will trade someone 100% verified knowledge of what Matt Mortenson did to get kicked off the team if they tell me what Pat Hazel did.

Any takers?

Come one, come all!!

If you're serious, I'm down.   Always wondered about Mortenson, didn't think he was a good enough player to care enough to dig deep on it.  I'm guessing he ventured into Potowatomi or something wasn't he like 35 after coming back from a mission?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2009, 05:20:33 PM »
Mortenseon was supposedly betting on college basketball games which makes him ineligible at any university.

Robyrd5

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
Just some food for thought: Imagine this was Lazar being dismissed from the team without any explanation. (or even one of the three amigos before senior year for that matter). Do the same hush hush rules apply, or is that just for those who are more easily replaced?

I'm definitely not saying that a player's stat line should have any impact on levels of privacy. Just that you can't really fault people for being curious about something they're so invested in. 

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2009, 09:24:29 PM »
Just some food for thought: Imagine this was Lazar being dismissed from the team without any explanation. (or even one of the three amigos before senior year for that matter). Do the same hush hush rules apply, or is that just for those who are more easily replaced?

I'm definitely not saying that a player's stat line should have any impact on levels of privacy. Just that you can't really fault people for being curious about something they're so invested in. 

Patrick was not dismissed. He is transferring.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2009, 09:45:10 PM »
Patrick was not dismissed. He is transferring.

Semantics.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2009, 07:47:06 AM »
I thought Mortenseon was on Steroids......

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2009, 08:25:20 AM »
I want to thank and acknowledge the mods for their actions on this thread. I don't know what happened and don't need to know. Simply, thanks for supporting a young man, supporting our alma mater, and supporting the basketball team. I'm proud that others that believe in Marquette as an institution and the basketball team as the most visible part of the school would act to do the right thing, well, just because it is right. Thanks.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #96 on: April 17, 2009, 08:51:11 AM »
I received a suggestion from one of our members this morning -- that we delete this thread because seeing it daily just sparks curiosity -- daily.  I'm not going to delete it, but I am going to lock it.  The best of both worlds.

If you have some other comment about Pat other than "what did he do", feel free to start a new thread.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 08:53:17 AM by rocky_warrior »

feedback