[Today at 12:28:22 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 11:39:07 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by BrewCity83
[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 644686 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #1950 on: November 10, 2021, 03:48:04 PM »
Damn, hope they don't mess with what is working.

What WAS working? double cream stout maybe, I never was much a fan of Bells

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1951 on: November 10, 2021, 03:58:35 PM »

Two Hearted
Hopslam
all of the planet series
Consecrator Doppelbock
Expedition Stout
OBERON
Third Coast Old Ale

IMO, they're one of the best of the Midwest.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #1952 on: November 10, 2021, 04:00:09 PM »
Bell's Porter is extremely good.  Two Hearted and Oberon are pretty tasty as well.    I hope they continue these unchanged.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1953 on: November 10, 2021, 04:04:02 PM »
OK, I can get behind Hopslam and Expedition, I was not familiar with the planet series but would have interest in Saturn or Uranus. I never saw the lure of 2 Hearted or Oberon.

Good thing there is plenty of options for us all, my current favorite brew is Backwoods Bastard, love that it's out all year now.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1954 on: November 10, 2021, 04:13:57 PM »
OK, I can get behind Hopslam and Expedition, I was not familiar with the planet series but would have interest in Saturn or Uranus. I never saw the lure of 2 Hearted or Oberon.

Good thing there is plenty of options for us all, my current favorite brew is Backwoods Bastard, love that it's out all year now.

Founder's is amazing and I love Backwoods Bastard as well.

Oberon is a great beer to start the summer and a top notch wheat beer for a warm June Saturday after cutting the grass or watching the sunset.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1955 on: November 10, 2021, 07:25:17 PM »

They sell Bells out here in Connecticut.  I never bought because I have too many good local choices.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1956 on: November 10, 2021, 08:14:27 PM »
Has anyone tried the Indeed Pistachio Cream Ale?  Maybe I'm crazy but it's not half bad.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #1957 on: November 11, 2021, 06:51:12 PM »
Has anyone tried the Indeed Pistachio Cream Ale?  Maybe I'm crazy but it's not half bad.
I’m also a fan

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1958 on: November 11, 2021, 06:54:22 PM »
Definitely in my summer rotation. It's pretty dang good.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #1959 on: November 12, 2021, 02:26:47 PM »

I like this beer as well (and typically don't like Indeed's beers very much). For those that like it, Point has a seasonal pistachio brown ale that is also delicious.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1960 on: November 12, 2021, 02:46:56 PM »
Got my dark lord allotment today, chemtrail and hanjee for variants. It's gonna be a good Christmas season
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1961 on: November 12, 2021, 03:13:11 PM »
Got my dark lord allotment today, chemtrail and hanjee for variants. It's gonna be a good Christmas season

Three Floyd's?  Be extremely careful Galway.  That can inflict quite a bit of damage if you get carried away

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1962 on: November 12, 2021, 03:20:20 PM »
Three Floyd's?  Be extremely careful Galway.  That can inflict quite a bit of damage if you get carried away

Yup 3 Floyd's, took the trip to lovely Hammond Munster, IN during an extended lunch.

And don't worry I have a whole whisk(e)y & stout room dedicated to containing any said damage   ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 03:33:38 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1963 on: November 12, 2021, 03:32:34 PM »
Yup 3 Floyd's, took the trip to lovely Hammond, IN during an extended lunch.

And don't worry I have a whole whisk(e)y & stout room dedicated to containing any said damage   ;)

My cousin lives in St. John, IN which I think is about 30 mins away from Munster.  He knows the owners fairly well.  According to my cousin, when they started years ago, they literally had no idea what they were doing from a business perspective.  They also didn't particularly care about making any coin.  Apparently, after 10 yrs or so, they decided maybe they should do this thing for a living.  I think they made the right choice.

I believe people used to line up for Dark Lord when they made like 15 bottles a year.  Are they still limiting their production?   

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1964 on: November 12, 2021, 03:36:01 PM »
My cousin lives in St. John, IN which I think is about 30 mins away from Munster.  He knows the owners fairly well.  According to my cousin, when they started years ago, they literally had no idea what they were doing from a business perspective.  They also didn't particularly care about making any coin.  Apparently, after 10 yrs or so, they decided maybe they should do this thing for a living.  I think they made the right choice.

I believe people used to line up for Dark Lord when they made like 15 bottles a year.  Are they still limiting their production?

Yes they release it once a year and it's limited. They might not care but between the quality of beer (despite being ridiculously hoppy for certain styles) and food they're doing it right. Excited to see what comes out of the new distillery. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1965 on: November 12, 2021, 03:42:36 PM »
Yes they release it once a year and it's limited. They might not care but between the quality of beer (despite being ridiculously hoppy for certain styles) and food they're doing it right. Excited to see what comes out of the new distillery.

I like stories when the quality of the product(s) destermine ultimate success.  Clearly there was huge word of mouth with 3 Floyd's. 

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1966 on: November 17, 2021, 09:11:07 PM »
I'd heard great things about Zombie Dust for years but could never find anywhere to get it.  Finally got some from a liquor store and then didn't even end up liking it that much :) .  It wasn't horrible but it had been so hyped to me and don't think it could ever live up to its hype.  We stopped at 3 Floyds for lunch on our way to Indy a few years ago (a little out of the way but a fun stop) and I picked up a few of their beers to take home then - I discovered I liked some of their other beers better than Zombie Dust.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1967 on: November 17, 2021, 09:51:13 PM »
I'd heard great things about Zombie Dust for years but could never find anywhere to get it.  Finally got some from a liquor store and then didn't even end up liking it that much :) .  It wasn't horrible but it had been so hyped to me and don't think it could ever live up to its hype.  We stopped at 3 Floyds for lunch on our way to Indy a few years ago (a little out of the way but a fun stop) and I picked up a few of their beers to take home then - I discovered I liked some of their other beers better than Zombie Dust.

I'm with you,.  I haven't had it for a few years but never thought it was worth the hype.  I like Robert the Bruce if it still exists.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1969 on: February 14, 2022, 11:48:21 AM »
https://www.reuters.com/business/exclusive-treasury-wants-stir-up-us-alcohol-market-help-smaller-players-2022-02-09/

Good in theory, doubt much changes, especially in Wisconsin.

The big producers and wholesalers have a lot of finiancial muscle that make it hard for the little guys to be competitive.  Hopefully, we see this lessen but my hunch is, it’ll be business as usual
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #1970 on: February 14, 2022, 11:54:02 AM »
Anybody else Jonesing for Maibock being available again.  One of my favorite Holidays.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1971 on: February 14, 2022, 12:03:58 PM »
Anybody else Jonesing for Maibock being available again.  One of my favorite Holidays.

Dopplebock  is the holiday beer.
Maibock (May bock) is the spring beer so you won't have to wait long.  Lakefront Brewery made (if they still do) one of the best maibocks that I remember.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1972 on: February 14, 2022, 12:36:18 PM »
Lakefront's Maibock just came out. Capital used to have a pretty good one, but it's been years (and several changes there) since I've had it.

I'm hoping Dovetail's makes it up to MKE.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #1973 on: February 14, 2022, 12:37:55 PM »

Dopplebock  is the holiday beer.
Maibock (May bock) is the spring beer so you won't have to wait long.  Lakefront Brewery made (if they still do) one of the best maibocks that I remember.

My Holidays revolve around beer releases
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1974 on: February 14, 2022, 03:33:47 PM »
My Holidays revolve around beer releases

The 6 foot PBR case release?   ;D