[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: And the rich get richer...  (Read 18493 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: And the rich get richer...
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 07:39:24 AM »
It takes time for a staff to build connections. Usually you start recruiting players well before their senior year.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 07:41:03 AM »
Big Boys: UCONN, Pitt, Louisville, Villanova, Syracuse, Georgetown, etc.

And we have missed out on some pretty good talent lately: snaer, Ruley, Smith, and Colvin who picked ia. State.

Buzz needs to step it up to keep up with UCONN, Pitt, Villanova, etI hope you have noticed that these teams did better than us in the dance this tear.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 07:52:49 AM »
Also for the people making criminal accusations of Uconn adn Darius for him commiting did you make those same accusations of Jimmy Butler at this time last year, as he committed without ever visiting.  Just wondering.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 07:55:03 AM »

And we have missed out on some pretty good talent lately: snaer, Ruley, Smith, and Colvin who picked ia. State.

Buzz needs to step it up to keep up with UCONN, Pitt, Villanova, etI hope you have noticed that these teams did better than us in the dance this tear.

What the hell does step it up mean?  Are you infering he isn't trying his hardest to get this talent?  MU has been in the BE for 4 years, and we have had a head coach on the job for less than a year.  He brought in a top 20 recruiting class for 2009-2010, best player in his home state, the best JUCO, a top 5 PG, but in your eyes he has to step it up?

Please.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 07:55:29 AM »

Hey, you can't get'em all.  Still, the last thing we should be complaining about is the quality of the incoming recruiting class that Buzz landed.  Outside of Nova, it is likely the BIG EASTs best incoming class.....and I'd imagine Buzz will add one more player to the mix in the coming weeks.

Save your thought for November -- it's easier to recruit when a coach has loads of PT to offer. Let's see what Buzz does with his last '10 tender (though Clark was a great commit for that class & we'll learn more about Bowen in the next 6 months).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:57:29 AM by NYWarrior »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 07:57:23 AM »
What the hell does step it up mean?  Are you infering he isn't trying his hardest to get this talent?  MU has been in the BE for 4 years, and we have had a head coach on the job for less than a year.  He brought in a top 20 recruiting class for 2009-2010, best player in his home state, the best JUCO, a top 5 PG, but in your eyes he has to step it up?

Please.
That's all he's done on his 350+ days on the job??????? We should have hired Billy Gillespie.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 08:02:12 AM »

Please.

Agreed.  Coaches aren't going to consistently land big classes until they can actually prove they can win.  Jay Wright is a perfect example.  Starts to win...recruiting gets better...starts to win big...recruiting gets monsterous.  Recruits are going to see how Buzz handles the next couple of years.  If we keep winning, the classes will get better and better.

Honestly though, if you are Smith and a program like UConn comes calling, you'd be a moron not to consider them knowing their style of play and their history of putting players in the NBA.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 08:03:06 AM »
note to the posters:

MU and UCONN are not on the same level basketball-wise

one has a HOF coach, the other is a 3rd year coach

one has a history of great teams in the last decade or more, the other has one final four run in the last decade or more

one turns out great NBA players consistantly, the other has turned out one unbelievable NBA player and a lot of 'role players'

seriously, have some perspective from the kid's point of view.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 08:07:15 AM »

Are you kidding me?
Maymon, Williams, Cadougan and Buycks all are/were considered better prospects than anyone on your list outside of Snaer and perhaps "Ruley" (is that Riley?).
Colvin and Smith, while fine players, aren't even rated in the top 100.
Apparently some people like to complain for the sake of complaining.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 08:14:36 AM »

You do realize that Colvin is a fringe top 100 player at best, and Smith is not a top 100 player at all, right?  Cadougan, who we actually got a commitment from is a top 40 player.  Seems to me, or any one that can actually look at things logically, that we got the best of the three options.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 08:25:34 AM »
Also for the people making criminal accusations of Uconn adn Darius for him commiting did you make those same accusations of Jimmy Butler at this time last year, as he committed without ever visiting.  Just wondering.

Criminal is because he is a top Chicago Public League (CPL) School player.  The Sun-Times did a study a few years ago and the top 10 CPL players spent more time in prison or probation than in the NBA, even though they were all prospects.  So, yes, I assume top CPL players are criminals until proven otherwise, especially if you need crayons to explain why you're going to Uconn.

See Jamie Brandon, Ronnie Fields, Richard Hamilton (the fat one from Chicago) and Imari Sawyer

Speaking of Sawyer, image the outright whining this board would have had 8 years ago because a new and unproven Tom Crean lost Imari Sawyer to DePaul and took another kid named Dwayne Wade.  Just more proof that MU cannot get "the big boys."

Henry Sugar

• All American
  • There are no shortcuts
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2009, 08:38:26 AM »
So, yes, I assume top CPL players are criminals until proven otherwise, especially if you need crayons to explain why you're going to Uconn.

wow.  did you really just write that?
A warrior is an empowered and compassionate protector of others.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2009, 08:39:25 AM »
wow.  did you really just write that?

Yes!  Look at the record!!

Here is another one ....

Anyone remember Marcetteaus McGee in 2002?

He was from Farragut (CPL).  He committed to MU without an offer.  (MU had an offer but pulled it at the last minute).  So, without missing a beat, he committed to Wisconsin.  He lasted maybe a week at Wisconsin before getting arrested for sexual assault and getting kicked off the team.

Big Red flag for anyone that commits to a school without even visiting or talking to the coach before deciding to spend the next four years at that institution, especially if from the CPL.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 09:23:27 AM by AnotherMU84 »

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2009, 09:19:03 AM »
Since when did expectations erupt. Our incoming class is very good considering the recruits we lost when Crean left I think that Buzz did as best he could in the situation he was put in. The opportunity to start in the BE their freshman year will almost always bring in a good class. The telling years will be the next 2, anyone can win or go far on others recruits, I'm not bashing Buzz its just a fact (ex: Bruce Weber with Williams, Brown, and Luther Head). I believe Buzz deserves more credit he puts in like 15 hr days.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

wildbillsb

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2009, 09:25:18 AM »
What!  Stability?  Should we fire more people to get stability?  And please define a "big boy"  I guess none of our current recruits above qualify as a "big boy."

Mr. Basketball from WI is not a "big boy"?  No Wilson is.  Nevermind that Wilson is not Mr. Basketball and Maymom schooled him recently.  nope, Buzz is a failure for taking the best player in the state and letting (arguably) the second best player slip to the worst school in the Pac-10 some 2,000 miles away.

A first team all-state forward from Texas is not a "big boy"? 

A four star PG and a highly regarded JC guard are not "big boys"

I guess the best players from Texas and WI are busts and a criminal that draws pictures with crayons to explain his recruiting decision (again, see the tape of him on Chicago Tribune Live) and decides to go to a school that is getting busted for recruiting violations that he never visited or even talked to is another sign Buzz is a failure?

Can we go back to complaining about calling TOs?  The BB IQ on this board is dropping by the hour.

Thank you for bringing some sense to this discussion. 
Peace begins with a smile.  -  Mother Teresa

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2009, 09:26:21 AM »

Here is another one ....

He was from Farragut (CPL).  He committed to MU without an offer.  (MU had an offer but pulled it at the last minute).  So, without missing a beat, he committed to Wisconsin.  He lasted maybe a week at Wisconsin before getting arrested for sexual assault and getting kicked off the team.

Big Red flag for anyone that commits to a school without even visiting or talking to the coach before deciding to spend the next four years at that institution, especially if from the CPL.

Wow.  God forbid we judge people as individuals when it is easier just to classify them in a group.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2009, 09:40:08 AM »

Here is another one ....

Marcettus McGee never committed to MU.  He was recruited by MU, but MU backed off well before it got to the point of him making a commitment, and then MU got Karon Bradley.

McGee's final group was UW, Ball State and Miami(Oh).

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2009, 09:41:09 AM »
Criminal is because he is a top Chicago Public League (CPL) School player.  The Sun-Times did a study a few years ago and the top 10 CPL players spent more time in prison or probation than in the NBA, even though they were all prospects.  So, yes, I assume top CPL players are criminals until proven otherwise, especially if you need crayons to explain why you're going to Uconn.

See Jamie Brandon, Ronnie Fields, Richard Hamilton (the fat one from Chicago) and Imari Sawyer

Speaking of Sawyer, image the outright whining this board would have had 8 years ago because a new and unproven Tom Crean lost Imari Sawyer to DePaul and took another kid named Dwayne Wade.  Just more proof that MU cannot get "the big boys."

Derrick Rose, Kevin Garnett, Luther Head, Juwan Howard, Nick Anderson, Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons and Tim Hardaway all went from top players in the Chicago Public League to the NBA,.
Therefore, I am assuming that Darius Smith is a future NBA player.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2009, 09:59:52 AM »
Derrick Rose, Kevin Garnett, Luther Head, Juwan Howard, Nick Anderson, Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons and Tim Hardaway all went from top players in the Chicago Public League to the NBA,.
Therefore, I am assuming that Darius Smith is a future NBA player.

Did any of them go on TV with crayon drawings to announce they were going to a school they never visited to play for a coach they have never met?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2009, 10:06:57 AM »
Did any of them go on TV with crayon drawings to announce they were going to a school they never visited to play for a coach they have never met?

Beats me.
Is there an established scientific link between using drawings to explain one's college choice while appearing on television and future incarceration?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
Beats me.
Is there an established scientific link between using drawings to explain one's college choice while appearing on television and future incarceration?

Ok, I'm wrong, Darius Smith is a future Myron Rolle.

Better?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2009, 10:19:15 AM »

I thought a car accident ended Ronnie Fields very promising basketball career not prison?

"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2009, 10:34:16 AM »
Cully Payne from Schaumburg HS just uncommitted from Alabama.  Haven't seen him play, but supposed to be a pretty good guard.  He averaged 22 points a game in 16 games this season before suffering a season-ending back injury.

http://basketball.dailyherald.com/story/?id=282908

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2009, 10:43:02 AM »
Cully Payne from Schaumburg HS just uncommitted from Alabama.  Haven't seen him play, but supposed to be a pretty good guard.  He averaged 22 points a game in 16 games this season before suffering a season-ending back injury.

http://basketball.dailyherald.com/story/?id=282908

His second uncommittment, he backed off a verbal to DePaul before Alabama.

What is the record for uncommittments before signing a LOI?

Bob "Big Daddy" Wild

• Starter
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2009, 10:54:38 AM »
I just hope we start getting a few lChicago kids in the near future.  It's been a little while and if Buzz leaves when he's offered the Lakers job or North Carolina or wherever, that Texas pipeline may not be around much longer while the local \ Chicago kids wonder where MU has been.

Now, it appears Buzz is recruiting Chicago hard based on press reports.  That's great to know because the last thing I want to see is us ignoring the talent close by.  Buzz has landed some Wisconsin kids which is terrific because they are high level Wisconsin kids.  Hopefully some Chicago kids coming soon as well.

Personally, I'd sit on the schollie unless there is a definite winner left.  Too many projects by Crean just to fill a class.  Enough of that.

I agree with Chicos on Chicago recruiting.  Buzz and Benford are definitely recruiting Chicago hard, and I would love to see one sign with MU.  The problem is that Illinois locked up so many early oral commitments from Chicagoland area...there wasn't much left to choose from.

I am looking for MU to make a push for Shaw and Blackshear.  Would love to get in on one of those guys...
Former president.  Part-time MUScooper.

feedback