Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 04:49:54 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Viper
[Today at 04:49:52 PM]

Banquet by rocky_warrior
[Today at 04:25:47 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 04:10:23 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: And the rich get richer...  (Read 18492 times)

bma725

• All American

Jam Chowder

• Team Captain
Re: And the rich get richer...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 07:17:48 PM »
Dang.  Didn't seem like we were really ever that close to landing the guy, but it sure would have been nice.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 07:19:03 PM »
It's a CPL recruit.  Nothing surprises me with how wacky some of their recruiting processes turn out.

Could sure use another 2 guard sooner than later, though. 
The General has taken on a new command.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 07:21:36 PM »
let's get big daddy kane  8-)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 07:55:39 PM »
Tony Bennett would have landed him at MU.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 08:00:07 PM »
bank it for 2010
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 08:04:13 PM »
Tony Bennett would have landed him at MU.

I just hope we start getting a few lChicago kids in the near future.  It's been a little while and if Buzz leaves when he's offered the Lakers job or North Carolina or wherever, that Texas pipeline may not be around much longer while the local \ Chicago kids wonder where MU has been.

Now, it appears Buzz is recruiting Chicago hard based on press reports.  That's great to know because the last thing I want to see is us ignoring the talent close by.  Buzz has landed some Wisconsin kids which is terrific because they are high level Wisconsin kids.  Hopefully some Chicago kids coming soon as well.

Personally, I'd sit on the schollie unless there is a definite winner left.  Too many projects by Crean just to fill a class.  Enough of that.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 08:47:42 PM »
Need to get a coach on staff who can land Chicago kids/is a local or has deep connections.  The well has dried up. 

bma725

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 09:54:52 PM »
Need to get a coach on staff who can land Chicago kids/is a local or has deep connections.  The well has dried up. 

Not that simple.  Benford has great connections in Chicago.  Smith committed to UConn sight unseen.  He hasn't made a visit, hasn't even met with Calhoun and first met someone from their staff last week.  There's much more at play here than just having a connection.

Buzz4Prez

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 09:57:37 PM »
I would pass on Kane, something is fishy about him.

As for Darius Smith, I completely agree that there is something beyond what we all see going on here. I have a feeling this wasn't good old fashion recruiting going on.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 10:21:04 PM »
I would pass on Kane, something is fishy about him.

As for Darius Smith, I completely agree that there is something beyond what we all see going on here. I have a feeling this wasn't good old fashion recruiting going on.

He has a chance to play for a Final Four team and a Hall of Fame coach.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 10:53:46 PM »
Our backup guards heading into next year are undersized and under talented. We can't afford to bank a scholarship. We desperately need to land a good combo guard this spring.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 10:59:18 PM »
Darius was interviewed on Chicago Tribune Live.  He laid out his entire thought process, complete with pictures!  (seriously he drew pictures of all the schools logos to explain his process!  It literally looks like he drew them with crayons!)

Here was his final 10 ... in order

10. UCLA
9. IU
8. Duke
7. Memphis
6. Mizzou
5. Kentucky
4. MU
3. Cincy
2. Arizona State
1. Uconn

He said the final three were all "cool schools with high level recruits."  The final two he said he liked their styles of play.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 12:16:01 AM »
Our backup guards heading into next year are undersized and under talented. We can't afford to bank a scholarship. We desperately need to land a good combo guard this spring.
As of right now, there's no scholarship to bank.  Someone would have to be removed from next year's roster to make room for a combo guard.  Are we that sure that someone's leaving this offseason?

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 12:16:07 AM »
Not that simple.  Benford has great connections in Chicago.  Smith committed to UConn sight unseen.  He hasn't made a visit, hasn't even met with Calhoun and first met someone from their staff last week.  There's much more at play here than just having a connection.

I know Benford gets a pat on the back from the Bullseye Bros. but those great connections don't have us leading/getting in the door with the Chicago elite as of yet.  As of now the Chicago well is dry we'll see if Benford has the chops. 

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 12:51:49 AM »
Darius was interviewed on Chicago Tribune Live.  He laid out his entire thought process, complete with pictures!  (seriously he drew pictures of all the schools logos to explain his process!  It literally looks like he drew them with crayons!)

Here was his final 10 ... in order

10. UCLA
9. IU
8. Duke
7. Memphis
6. Mizzou
5. Kentucky
4. MU
3. Cincy
2. Arizona State
1. Uconn

He said the final three were all "cool schools with high level recruits."  The final two he said he liked their styles of play.

How could anyone enjoy Arizona State's slow it down style of play? Weird he grouped those two together because their tempos are almost exactly opposite from what I've seen.

The Man in Gold

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 02:32:00 AM »
We are behind Cincy?  That makes me cry on the inside.
Captain, We need more sweatervests!  TheManInGold has been blinded by the light (off the technicolor sweatervest)

nyg

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 05:14:30 AM »
All the major recruiting sites and discussions here never even mentioned UCONN as a possibility.  How did this come about?  Strange, usually there is some smoke before the fire.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 05:33:32 AM »
Committing to UCONN sight unseen? I cannot believe it. Now we are losing recruits in our own backyard to the BE powers out east.

When will we wake up and smell the coffee? We have to get some stability in our coaching staff. We do not stand much of a chance with the big boys when we have an unknown name at MU.

We have to do better.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2009, 05:45:48 AM »
Maybe the staff is just in a drought right now in the last four recruits.  Snaer, Riley, Wilson and Smith. So close, yet....

Anyone know where Buzz went last week on his recruiting trail?

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 06:29:29 AM »
Committing to UCONN sight unseen? I cannot believe it. Now we are losing recruits in our own backyard to the BE powers out east.

When will we wake up and smell the coffee? We have to get some stability in our coaching staff. We do not stand much of a chance with the big boys when we have an unknown name at MU.

We have to do better.

What!  Stability?  Should we fire more people to get stability?  And please define a "big boy"  I guess none of our current recruits above qualify as a "big boy."

Mr. Basketball from WI is not a "big boy"?  No Wilson is.  Nevermind that Wilson is not Mr. Basketball and Maymom schooled him recently.  nope, Buzz is a failure for taking the best player in the state and letting (arguably) the second best player slip to the worst school in the Pac-10 some 2,000 miles away.

A first team all-state forward from Texas is not a "big boy"? 

A four star PG and a highly regarded JC guard are not "big boys"

I guess the best players from Texas and WI are busts and a criminal that draws pictures with crayons to explain his recruiting decision (again, see the tape of him on Chicago Tribune Live) and decides to go to a school that is getting busted for recruiting violations that he never visited or even talked to is another sign Buzz is a failure?

Can we go back to complaining about calling TOs?  The BB IQ on this board is dropping by the hour.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 06:39:48 AM »
All the major recruiting sites and discussions here never even mentioned UCONN as a possibility.  How did this come about?  Strange, usually there is some smoke before the fire.

Not to mention the cloud of NCAA investigation looming.  So I guess that begs the question, what did Calhoun and the boosters do to attract him to UCONN??

~Mom given a house and a new job
~Given a duffle bag full of cash
~Dad given a new tractor

?-(

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 06:55:51 AM »
hope Darius enjoys probation. But if he's good with crayons at least he will be able to pass the Coloring courses UConn players take. They would take Computer classes but Price and Mo Williams stole all the equipment.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 07:01:14 AM by ecompt »

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 06:59:55 AM »
What a soory bunch of sour grapes here.  People are now calling Darius Smith a criminal for commiting to UConn?  Wow.  Questioning how he can possibly do this sight unseen.  Did anyone actually settle down for long enough to consider that Uconn has arguably the best 10 year run of any school in the country?  and do to this they can basically pick and choose who they offer; knowing that most offers are except sight seen or unseen.  Take a deep breath people.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 07:03:53 AM »
 "knowing that most offers are except sight seen or unseen."
Classic. Right out of the Creed.

feedback