Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: And the rich get richer...  (Read 18494 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Re: And the rich get richer...
« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2009, 10:56:06 AM »
The verbal to Depaul was while he was in 8th grade.  I think both decommits were due to coaching changes.  Alabama head coach Mark Gottfried resigned in January.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2009, 11:08:51 AM »
His second uncommittment, he backed off a verbal to DePaul before Alabama.

What is the record for uncommittments before signing a LOI?

Actually, DePaul backed off Payne as much as he backed off DePaul. Wainwright wanted the scholie to go after something other than a small-ish guard, of which DePaul has plenty returning next year.
Wainwright also didn't think the kid was a Big East-level player.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2009, 11:21:10 AM »
Agreed on Payne, he's a nice player, but I don't think he's a Big East or SEC type player.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2009, 12:01:10 PM »
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3117484

What about this guy?  Xavier Thames, who wants out of WSU now that Bennett is gone.  Had MU on his list. 

Let the dominos keep on falling.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2009, 12:23:56 PM »
Ok, I'm wrong, Darius Smith is a future Myron Rolle.

Better?

Sure.
Those are his two options in life: criminal or Rhodes Scholar.
Pretty much no way he can just go off to college, play some ball, take some classes, perhaps even earn a degree along the way or find a way to make money off his basketball skills.
Prison, Oxford or bust.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2009, 12:24:21 PM »
Wainwright also didn't think the kid was a Big East-level player.

DePaul hasn't had many of those lately :)

I would take Tucker, Koshwal, or Walker in second though.

SCdem@MU

• Team Captain
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2009, 03:46:49 PM »
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3117484

What about this guy?  Xavier Thames, who wants out of WSU now that Bennett is gone.  Had MU on his list. 

Let the dominos keep on falling.

When was the last time Marquette got a recruit from CA who hadn't at least spent a part of his life in the Midwest?

Hopefully Milwaukee doesn't get another freak spring snow storm if he visits.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:00:14 PM by SCdem@MU »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2009, 03:53:39 PM »
Derrick Rose, Kevin Garnett, Luther Head, Juwan Howard, Nick Anderson, Quentin Richardson, Bobby Simmons and Tim Hardaway all went from top players in the Chicago Public League to the NBA,.
Therefore, I am assuming that Darius Smith is a future NBA player.

I agree, not criminals.....but I'll bet there are probably 50 fathered children from that group.   ;)

Kramerica

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2009, 04:01:40 PM »
I agree, not criminals.....but I'll bet there are probably 50 fathered children from that group.   ;)

Wow, what's with all the not so subtle racism in this thread? 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2009, 04:34:26 PM »

Racism????  Excuse me?   I didn't realize one's skin color was the requirement to procreate.  However, the number of illegitimate kids coming from NBA players....African American and Caucasian.....is staggering. 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2009, 04:43:20 PM »

I also assume you are referring to my criminal comment.  Again, according to a study, top CPL players have spent more time in prison or on probation than in the NBA. 

By the way, the Chicago Public Schools (CPS) set another dubious record this year, the 29th murder of a CPS student this school occurred about two weeks ago.  These schools are bad bad places.  Recall "Hoop Dreams and remember that was 15 years ago.

And recall, Obama named Arne Duncan, formerly the head of the CPS, as the secretary of Education.  Maybe he'll turn the entire country into the CPS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2009, 05:54:51 PM »
I also assume you are referring to my criminal comment.  Again, according to a study, top CPL players have spent more time in prison or on probation than in the NBA. 

By the way, the Chicago Public Schools (CPS) set another dubious record this year, the 29th murder of a CPS student this school occurred about two weeks ago.  These schools are bad bad places.  Recall "Hoop Dreams and remember that was 15 years ago.

And recall, Obama named Arne Duncan, formerly the head of the CPS, as the secretary of Education.  Maybe he'll turn the entire country into the CPS.

Of course, the vast, vast majority of those students were killed off campus (and outsider school hours) by non-students.
Rather than those schools being bad, bad places, they're probably the safest places those kids go most days. The truth is that the schools aren't bad, the neighborhoods in which they're located are bad.

By the way, where can I read this study you've been referencing?

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2009, 06:01:56 PM »
I was listening to Boers and Bernstein on the way home from work and the main talk was on DePaul and Jerry.  I guess earlier, Bernstein had said DePaul was Marquette or something to that effect.  One guy called in and said he was crazy and MU was way ahead of where DePaul was and DePaul was too cheap to be like Marquette.  Later, they went over the Illinois roster and showed that Calvin Brock was the only CPS player on their roster.  Jason Gough (the producer) made the point that you have to bring bags of cash with you if you want to recruit CPS kids.  I don't care if they are from CPS or not, I want the best student-athletes at MU. Seeing that the better players now (see Illinois recruits) or in the past (Jerel or DWade) are not CPS players, I don't really care.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »
Racism????  Excuse me?   I didn't realize one's skin color was the requirement to procreate.  However, the number of illegitimate kids coming from NBA players....African American and Caucasian.....is staggering. 

Scott Skiles high on that list

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2009, 03:46:41 PM »

be careful with your words.  Bigotry and ignorance are contagious.