[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:43:51 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New MU Recruit for 2010-11  (Read 47806 times)

Wareagle

• Team Captain
Re: New MU Recruit for 2010-11
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2009, 06:19:41 PM »
I think he ended up going to a prep school rather than going to Kankakee in hopes that he could somehow qualify after one year of prep school and then go to college.  Not sure if that actually happened.

EDIT:  After some quick searches, it looks like he went Ware Prep in Georgia instead of a JUCO.  I found this article on him from last spring:

http://www.hoopsreport.com/news/eventreports/milwaukeemadnessshowcase

Montrell Clark '09 Ware Prep Academy, Atlanta (GA) 6'9 PF
AAU: Milwaukee Running Rebels
Clark definitely stands out on the floor with his size and athleticism-- he is a tall, slender play above the rim  type player.  One spectator referred to him as a "little Ralph Sampson".  His long arms make for good shot blocking ability and combined with his willingness to run the floor, good hands and soft touch, he is a scary threat in transition to catch oops and posterize his opponents. Clark also is having difficulty with his grades and at the moment is being looked at by Baylor, UAB, Wyoming, Texas A&M, and Alabama.

He's also listed at Ware Prep on the Milwaukee Runnin Rebels AAU site, and the announcement from Hill JUCO that he had signed an LOI.
His games sounds like it has shades of Latavious Williams in it, although Williams was/is ranked higher at the same age.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »
I dunno if this makes sense.  That'll mean you have 3 junior bigs on the roster for 2010-2011 with McMorrow, Otule, and Clark, which makes little sense for roster balance.

I like the pickup, but I have to agree with this point.  Buzz said he wants a PG and C in every class.  Perhaps we should let him know that this only makes sense if you accomplish that in every graduating class.

As it stands now, we need yet another big for when these three are gone.  Though if bma is correct about being a tall 4, then maybe it's not as imbalanced as I think.  

Come to think of it, I think we've all just gotten really used to being a small team.  Novak was (is) 6'10", but we didn't ever call him a C, and hardly ever a PF.  Now it's hard for us to imagine having a "tall" guy away from the basket.  But, lots of teams do it -successfully.

Ok, I've resolved my internal conflict.  you can safely ignore my first 2 paragraphs  ;D

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2009, 06:53:25 PM »
I am still not sure if we have the year right. The Texas article said he is the best unsigned bigman. That indicates to me that he can sign in spring.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2009, 06:57:49 PM »
How in the freaking hell could we sign this kid...we will have Roseboro as a Sophomore and McMorrow and Otule as Juniors as well that year.  Does this guy not realize that with those three and our other size up front in Maymon, Willimas, Fulce, etc minutes are no there?  OH My good ness Jmayer...please help anyone comprehend this!!!

Sarcasm off!!

Kid looks like a great recruit!!!  Great size looks to be scoring, rebounding and swatting!!  Juco numers can be deceiving but when his coach says he is aggressive, etc. that goes along way in my book.  1.5 years to bulk up.  Buzz is rolling baby.  Glad buzz and our recruits are not as worried about minutes as some of our ignorant fans.  

I think our roster is really stacking up to be big time strong in 2010-2011, next year we might have growing pains but the next year we will be loaded!!

Both he and Roseboro are power forwards. Otule and McMorrow are centers. I was excited about Otule, but Buzz does not have confidence in him. I really beginning to think that Otule will not be here next year.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2009, 06:58:55 PM »
I am still not sure if we have the year right. The Texas article said he is the best unsigned bigman. That indicates to me that he can sign in spring.

He'll be in the class with Bowen, guarantee it.

He graduated high school in 2007, graduated prep school in 2008, and now to the JUCO.  He was not an academic qualifier out of high school or prep school so he has to spend two years at the JUCO.  This is his first year, so he'll be coming with Bowen in Fall 2010.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2009, 07:02:47 PM »
Not just academics but other issues as well. He is not very bright and had a history of trouble at Pius. Great defensively and can run like the wind but offense struggles. He needed a lot of growing up to do when he left Pius.
But I like to throw handfuls...

legacy

• Walk-On
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2009, 08:01:14 PM »
I was excited about Otule, but Buzz does not have confidence in him. I really beginning to think that Otule will not be here next year.

I was thinking the same thing.  Buzz has better informed ideas about what these guys are capable of than we do.  Also, one thing to keep in mind is that bigs are very hit or miss and have LOTS of injury problems -- just think of our own history.  I don't think too many bigs is an issue. 

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2009, 08:47:44 PM »
Buycks is a top-rated JC guy and was recruited pretty heavily coming out of high school.  This guy doesn't even show up on rivals or scout (edited: Makes sense given BMA's comments but he still doesn't appear to be real highly rated).

Please tell me why I should expect this guy to be any better than Hazel, Christopherson, Blackledge, Cubillan, Lott, Burke, Kinsella or any of the other guys MU signed over the past few years that weren't highly rated.

Now, I think he looks like an interesting specimen and it's always good to get tall projects rather than short projects but you would be led to believe by some on this board that Buzz was above taking guys like this because all he would get every year would be 4-star, top 100 type of guys.

not many guys that did not play HS ball were highly recruited.  and quite honestly who cares how highly rated he was in HS, he is getting it done in a big big way in JUCO and has 18 months to get even better he is a big time recruit.  look at who has offered him already everyone in the country would be on him this time nest year but buzz got him early.  for comparison sake Kinsella avergaed 17 and 10 as a second year in his second year after one at Rice in D2 juco in a much much weaker conference...this kid is averaging 17 and 11 in his first year.  Lott averaged 16 and 8 in again a much much weaker conference....blackledge averaged 10 and 6 again in amuch much weaker conference... Marcus Jackson is the only Juco that played in a conference as strong and withe same level of talent...in his econd year he averaged 8 points and 9 rebounds.

on top of that those guys all had the benefit of playing in structured HS programs.  Clark is simply exploding with his athleticism and is blowing up against pretty darn good competiton. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 08:52:50 PM by MR.HAYWARD »

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2009, 08:51:32 PM »
Not just academics but other issues as well. He is not very bright and had a history of trouble at Pius. Great defensively and can run like the wind but offense struggles. He needed a lot of growing up to do when he left Pius.

It's a good thing he graduated high school 2 years ago, 3 when he actually gets to play here then isn't it? Are you the same person today as you were 2 years ago? I'm sure you've done a lot of growing up yourself too

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2009, 08:59:13 PM »
It's a good thing he graduated high school 2 years ago, 3 when he actually gets to play here then isn't it? Are you the same person today as you were 2 years ago? I'm sure you've done a lot of growing up yourself too

i am just going by what i am told. the person i talked to said he had a lot growing up to do. if he has done that - then welcome aboard.
But I like to throw handfuls...

muwarrior87

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2009, 11:37:08 PM »
Loosen up.

Didn't realize the hoyte toytes were here tonight. 1) Remove bundle from panties. 2) Try again.

actually that's very tasteless. Learning disabilities and cognitive disabilities are entirely different matters.  A fair amount on this board know individuals who would classify as the latter and to make an ignorant comment by lumping all disabilities together like that is really immature and uncalled for.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2009, 12:09:43 AM »
Did anyone see this at the bottom of Mark's post:

"Meanwhile, Menomonee Falls coach Ben Siebert said Iowa, Iowa State, Marquette and Wisconsin are among the schools showing the most interest in prized 6-4 freshman J.P. Tokoto."

Tokoto:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=193&f=2565&t=3460447
---> "His Father is actually Brian Oliver of Georgia Tech fame."

http://www.recruitingplanet.com/forum/wisconsin-basketball-recruiting/24791-12-sf-jean-pierre-tokoto.html
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 12:14:17 AM by 77ncaachamps »
SS Marquette

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2009, 01:55:30 AM »
Does the Clark signing mean we won't get Riley? 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2009, 03:08:58 AM »
Anyone else find it interesting that Buzz can coach a small guard oriented team well and is now recruiting a large team.  If he can change his style and coach this team well too (and we'll have to wait and see), then he might have more ability than we are giving him credit for.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2009, 07:46:52 AM »
The more and more I read (and hear) about Riley from people in Michigan says stay away. Yes, he's only an 18 year old kid. But, do we really need a kid that has to be motivated to play hard half the time? If I want that, I'll watch an NBA game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2009, 12:06:31 PM »
I can confirm that Clark is not good.  Not because I read anything on him or heard something from some source, but because I went to high school at Pius and watched him play while I was there.  He spent his time getting into trouble off the court and playing second fiddle to Korie Lucious who's now at MSU.  He routinely got pushed around in the paint by guys he had six or seven inches on.  That being said, you can't teach 6'11", and if he's hit the weight room and gotten his life together a bit since then, who knows what can happen?  I'm willing to give him a shot and welcome him to Marquette.

According to Rosiak, his JC coach said that he gained 15-20 pounds since he got there, and thinks he needs to put on another 15-20 pounds before getting to MU.  It sounds like he is motivated to get into BE shape.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2009, 12:10:35 PM »
I dunno if this makes sense.  That'll mean you have 3 junior bigs on the roster for 2010-2011 with McMorrow, Otule, and Clark, which makes little sense for roster balance.  Not to mention Roseboro as well as a sophomore (probably as a 4).  Hazel will be a senior that year too.  

I'm guessing that this means we're off the Dashonte Riley recruiting hunt.  I'm also thinking there could be a situation of a redshirt of a transfer of some sort on the horizon too, since I just can't see Buzz knocking his classes, particularly at one position, so out of balance.

I think it does balance out the class.  Before this, the only two seniors in that class would have been Otule and McMorrow.  Adding a third scholarship to that class gives us flexibility in the future.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2009, 12:19:50 PM »

I think it does balance out the class.  Before this, the only two seniors in that class would have been Otule and McMorrow.  Adding a third scholarship to that class gives us flexibility in the future.

It balances it out in terms of scholarships available.  Not in terms of position.  McMorrow and Otule play the 5, Clark is a 4/5.  The only other guy that can play the five after they leave would be Roseborro, and his natural position is the 4.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2009, 12:26:17 PM »
It balances it out in terms of scholarships available.  Not in terms of position.  McMorrow and Otule play the 5, Clark is a 4/5.  The only other guy that can play the five after they leave would be Roseborro, and his natural position is the 4.

For now...who knows what the next two years will bring?  They still have a scholarship to give for that year.

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 05, 2009, 01:21:26 PM »
Buycks is a top-rated JC guy and was recruited pretty heavily coming out of high school.  This guy doesn't even show up on rivals or scout (edited: Makes sense given BMA's comments but he still doesn't appear to be real highly rated).

Please tell me why I should expect this guy to be any better than Hazel, Christopherson, Blackledge, Cubillan, Lott, Burke, Kinsella or any of the other guys MU signed over the past few years that weren't highly rated.

Now, I think he looks like an interesting specimen and it's always good to get tall projects rather than short projects but you would be led to believe by some on this board that Buzz was above taking guys like this because all he would get every year would be 4-star, top 100 type of guys.

Crean recruited guys for his system (a set offense), most were one trick ponies.  Now I think the world of Deiner and Novak, but they both were limited physically.  Buzz is recruiting ATHLETES to run his system.  Buzz has repeatedly said he wants lots of interchangable parts.  I would not be surprised if in the future starters play only 25 mins on average per game, as the bench will be long and athletic.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 05, 2009, 01:29:49 PM »

For now...who knows what the next two years will bring?  They still have a scholarship to give for that year.

Right, but unless Buzz can't count that scholarship is going to a guard if not specifically a PG. 

The way it is right now, MU loses 5 guards including 2 true point guards in the next 2 classes.  Conversely they are only bringing in 3 guards.  Only one of those is a true point, and another is a JUCO.

There's going to be a desperate need for another ball handler in the 2010 class so you aren't relying a on a freshman in 2011 if something happens to Cadougan.

Taking another big with the last remaining 2010 spot doesn't make a lick of sense unless something else happens to the guys we already have.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2009, 01:43:58 PM »
Right, but unless Buzz can't count that scholarship is going to a guard if not specifically a PG. 

Lavonte Dority or Trae Golden, come on down

commonbondcoach

• Walk-On
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2009, 02:53:10 PM »
Young guards (fresh / sophs) are OK but young bigs normally do not work out with the exceptin of Greg Oden.  Bigs are not ormally ready to go until years 3,4,5 where the guards can be ready to go in years 1 and 2.  I had read somewhere where Buzz wants to have a big in every single class.

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2009, 03:17:17 PM »
Hate to get into this knowing that Buzz's job will be determined w/ the 2010-11 class BUT you win with GUARDS   Look no futher as to why MU is getting such favorable press.  Each and every "talking head" remarks about what GREAT guards MU has-- as a group---none better in the country.  Yes MU needs bigs  but guards are what WINS.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2009, 03:52:54 PM »
Hate to get into this knowing that Buzz's job will be determined w/ the 2010-11 class BUT you win with GUARDS   Look no futher as to why MU is getting such favorable press.  Each and every "talking head" remarks about what GREAT guards MU has-- as a group---none better in the country.  Yes MU needs bigs  but guards are what WINS.

You win with good players, regardless of position.
Most importantly, you win with balance.
Marquette had these same terrific guards last year, and couldn't get past the round of 32 because they had no one who could handle the Lopez Abominations.
Look at the Final Four teams of the recent past and you'll see they had top-notch players both upfront and in the backcourt. (Kansas: Chalmers, Rush and Arthur; Memphis: Rose, CDR and Dorsey; UCLA: Collison, Westbrook and Love; UNC: Lawson, Ellington and Hansbrough).
Buzz is indeed loading up on frontcourt players, but he's also brought in a top 50 point guard (Cadougan) and arguably the best JUCO guard in the country (Buycks) in the Class of 2009 and an off-guard prospect (Bowen) in the 2010 class. Use the remaining 2010 scholie on a guard (preferably one who could at least back up at the point) and this team has loads of balance and flexibility.

feedback