[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: New MU Recruit for 2010-11  (Read 47639 times)

bma725

• All American
Re: New MU Recruit for 2010-11
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 05:15:02 PM »
Another link for everyone to think about.  Top 600 players in the class of 2008 according to HoopScoop published prior to their junior season:

http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/classof2008-topjuniors-fall2006.asp

Look at #43.  That's the kind of talent this kid has.  If he'd stayed on top of his academics there's no telling how high he'd have gone.  But since he didn't, most services stopped paying any attention to him.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 05:15:49 PM »
No one knows how any of the height we got coming in (or currently have) is going to pan out. Otule has shown nothing, and McMorrow may be an oversized version of Chris Grimm for all we know. So saying there will be not enough minutes to go around is just foolish.

I'm all for getting a guy who can play at the college level (JUCO at least) and has played there with pretty good stats.

Kind of funny, people rip Crean for never recruiting enough big guys... we had the same crap for so many years- maybe 2 guys over 6'10 on the roster to play our center. Now here we are with possibly 4 big guys and people are saying Buzz is recruiting TOO MANY big guys. Too funny.

I will say this- we've got a very very solid recruiting class next year, so you can't expect Buzz to pull off another top 10 class for '10-11. No one will get playing time from the guard position. Might as well beef it up with some height. I love this signing. I think it builds depth at a position fans have starved for over the last 8 years.

(SHOCK!) Oh my, our 6'7 SF will actually be able to play SF!!!! What will we do!?!?!?!!??!?!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:17:28 PM by MUWarriors Zero-6 »

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 05:20:37 PM »
Another link for everyone to think about.  Top 600 players in the class of 2008 according to HoopScoop published prior to their junior season:

http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/classof2008-topjuniors-fall2006.asp

Look at #43.  That's the kind of talent this kid has.  If he'd stayed on top of his academics there's no telling how high he'd have gone.  But since he didn't, most services stopped paying any attention to him.

BMA, how would you compare Riley and Clark?

I should clarify my earlier post.  I'll never diss a recruit because I think you have to wait and see with a lot of guys, it just seems like a lot of people were expecting another monster class in 2010.  So far it looks like MU has some guys with potential but not the type of highly-rated players some expected.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 05:21:21 PM »
I dunno if this makes sense.  That'll mean you have 3 junior bigs on the roster for 2010-2011 with McMorrow, Otule, and Clark, which makes little sense for roster balance.  Not to mention Roseboro as well as a sophomore (probably as a 4).  Hazel will be a senior that year too.  

I'm guessing that this means we're off the Dashonte Riley recruiting hunt.  I'm also thinking there could be a situation of a redshirt of a transfer of some sort on the horizon too, since I just can't see Buzz knocking his classes, particularly at one position, so out of balance.
The General has taken on a new command.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 05:24:47 PM »
Now with the influx of bigmen, does this mean MU is no longer pursuing the 6 ft 10 center Dashonte Riley and now will look for a SG with the "invisible" 2009 scholly?

GYMBAR, maybe there is hope for Jamil.  

bma725

• All American
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2009, 05:25:47 PM »
Buycks is a top-rated JC guy and was recruited pretty heavily coming out of high school.  This guy doesn't even show up on rivals or scout (edited: Makes sense given BMA's comments but he still doesn't appear to be real highly rated).

Please tell me why I should expect this guy to be any better than Hazel, Christopherson, Blackledge, Cubillan, Lott, Burke, Kinsella or any of the other guys MU signed over the past few years that weren't highly rated.

Now, I think he looks like an interesting specimen and it's always good to get tall projects rather than short projects but you would be led to believe by some on this board that Buzz was above taking guys like this because all he would get every year would be 4-star, top 100 type of guys.

I may be going out on a limb here, but Clark would have been highly rated if it weren't for the academic issues.  That and the transfer caused him to play maybe one full seasons worth of games in high school and cut into some of his AAU time.  If you aren't out on the circuit, you can't really get evaluated and can't be rated.  The kid was getting interest from Kentucky, ISU, MU, and Xavier in high school, and he had other high major offers before this commitment.

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
I may be going out on a limb here, but Clark would have been highly rated if it weren't for the academic issues.  That and the transfer caused him to play maybe one full seasons worth of games in high school and cut into some of his AAU time.  If you aren't out on the circuit, you can't really get evaluated and can't be rated.  The kid was getting interest from Kentucky, ISU, MU, and Xavier in high school, and he had other high major offers before this commitment.

So, academics were the more the issue rather than talent?  I guess this might not be as much of a flyer as it seemed at first glance but it does worry me some that MU is getting a lot of guys with grade issues but they do have a terrific program to make sure these student-athletes are hitting the books like they need to.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2009, 05:32:13 PM »
I dunno if this makes sense.  That'll mean you have 3 junior bigs on the roster for 2010-2011 with McMorrow, Otule, and Clark, which makes little sense for roster balance.  Not to mention Roseboro as well as a sophomore (probably as a 4).  Hazel will be a senior that year too.  

I'm guessing that this means we're off the Dashonte Riley recruiting hunt.  I'm also thinking there could be a situation of a redshirt of a transfer of some sort on the horizon too, since I just can't see Buzz knocking his classes, particularly at one position, so out of balance.

Can't hurt to have too many big men. I think this frees up Hazel to be a 3/4 type player. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Hazel transfer- he's got to see the writing on the wall with th e freshmen bigs as well as the incoming recruits.

I agree that having 3 jr big men on the roster doesn't make much sense as far as balance goes, which is why I don't think we're off the Riley trail just yet.

Otule and McMorrow may never be legitimate BE starters. We won't know until next season. Can't hurt to load up on a position that's so questionable at this point, even if it does throw 3 big men in the same class. You can solve that by signing Riley, who from what I read can be a legitimate 5 in the BE

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 05:32:31 PM »
I can confirm that Clark is not good.  Not because I read anything on him or heard something from some source, but because I went to high school at Pius and watched him play while I was there.  He spent his time getting into trouble off the court and playing second fiddle to Korie Lucious who's now at MSU.  He routinely got pushed around in the paint by guys he had six or seven inches on.  That being said, you can't teach 6'11", and if he's hit the weight room and gotten his life together a bit since then, who knows what can happen?  I'm willing to give him a shot and welcome him to Marquette.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 05:34:14 PM »

For what it's worth, a Texas hoops site I found described Clark as a "face up 4," so I'm not sure Otule or McMorrow are going to be his primary competition for minutes. Sounds like he's more of a Roseboro type then a pure post guy.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 05:35:08 PM »
I can confirm that Clark is not good.  Not because I read anything on him or heard something from some source, but because I went to high school at Pius and watched him play while I was there.  He spent his time getting into trouble off the court and playing second fiddle to Korie Lucious who's now at MSU.  He routinely got pushed around in the paint by guys he had six or seven inches on.  That being said, you can't teach 6'11", and if he's hit the weight room and gotten his life together a bit since then, who knows what can happen?  I'm willing to give him a shot and welcome him to Marquette.

Sounds like sour grapes to me

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 05:41:20 PM »
So he's 6'10"... do we know his weight.  The random comments I saw were that he's light (220 lbs?) and not powerfully built.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2009, 05:42:05 PM »
Everyone is so concerned about number of big guys on the roster...

You realize we've got 2 over 6'10 this season, neither play. Burke is an average 4 playing the 5. People think that 4 or even 5 big guys on a roster is way too much...

If you've got 4-5 guys 6'10 or taller it frees up your small forwards to actually play small forward. 4-5 guys to throw in at center/power forward would give MU so much flexibility. If Hazel is as small as you'd go for the 4, then the #1 team in the country right now has 6 guys that can play the 4 and/or 5. That's quite the luxury and I'd be thrilled to see MU with that kind of height

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2009, 05:42:44 PM »
Why, with so much time for 2010-11 and only 3 scholarships are we recruiting JUCOs still?  Just wondering. . .there must be a ton of avaiable great players

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2009, 05:44:55 PM »
Why, with so much time for 2010-11 and only 3 scholarships are we recruiting JUCOs still?  Just wondering. . .there must be a ton of avaiable great players

We have a top 10, some sites a top 5 recruiting class coming in. Those guys are planning on starting from day 1. You really think a 4 or 5 star athlete is going to commit knowing the depth we have and how some positions are locked up for the next 4 years? Doubt it.

Look for 10-11 to be more of a solid, role player recruiting class, with maybe one 4 star. But you can't promise playing time to a 4-5 star athlete when you can't give it to him. That's how you get people to transfer and a bad rep as a recruiter

Take a look at Crean's recruiting class after he got McNeal, Matthews, DJ... really no one besides Lazar. It comes with having a good recruiting class
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 05:50:19 PM by MUWarriors Zero-6 »

dsfire

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2009, 05:48:07 PM »
Attempting to connect the dots from various sites, Clark...
1) Followed Korie Lucious from King to Pius.
2) Graduated from Pius in 2007.
3) May have been considering prep school at some point, but ended up looking at Kankakee CC (Juco) out of high school.
4) Never enrolled at Kankakee CC, and may have taken the year off.
5) Started at Hill Junior College this year as a freshman.
6) Will join Marquette as a junior for the 2010-2011 school year.

Not the easiest path to follow; I'm sure there are more details out there.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2009, 05:53:39 PM »
BMA, how would you compare Riley and Clark?

I should clarify my earlier post.  I'll never diss a recruit because I think you have to wait and see with a lot of guys, it just seems like a lot of people were expecting another monster class in 2010.  So far it looks like MU has some guys with potential but not the type of highly-rated players some expected.

Size wise they are similar.  Riley is skinny, but Clark is really really skinny.  They used to say he was 190, and that was a f'n lie.

In terms of type of game, they are different.  Clark is really a 4, Riley a 5. Clark is more of a face up man, Riley does his best work in the post.  Clark moves well without the ball, he can drive to the paint, he's great at catching the ball full speed on the break and dunking.  Decent shooting touch, though maybe not a perimeter player.  Then again the stats show that he's shooting 36% from three now.  Best asset is freakish athletic ability.  Riley is a true 5 with great skills for a true 5.  Ok shooting range, but not a guy you would want playing a face up 4 man spot.  Good defensively, blocks a lot of shots, but not the same kind of blocks that Clark gets.  Riley plays well on guys, Clark plays well when allowed to roam and using his leaping ability.  Both are great rebounders, though Clark might be a bit better just because of the leaping ability.

bma725

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »
So, academics were the more the issue rather than talent?  I guess this might not be as much of a flyer as it seemed at first glance but it does worry me some that MU is getting a lot of guys with grade issues but they do have a terrific program to make sure these student-athletes are hitting the books like they need to.

It's not so much a question of hitting the books.  Part of the reason Clark transferred to Pius is because he has a learning disability and they have a great special ed program.  What exactly that is, I don't know.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2009, 05:56:39 PM »
Part of the reason Clark transferred to Pius is because he has a learning disability and they have a great special ed program.

So is Clark going to play with a helmet?

bma725

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2009, 06:03:27 PM »
Attempting to connect the dots from various sites, Clark...
1) Followed Korie Lucious from King to Pius.
2) Graduated from Pius in 2007.
3) May have been considering prep school at some point, but ended up looking at Kankakee CC (Juco) out of high school.
4) Never enrolled at Kankakee CC, and may have taken the year off.
5) Started at Hill Junior College this year as a freshman.
6) Will join Marquette as a junior for the 2010-2011 school year.

Not the easiest path to follow; I'm sure there are more details out there.

I think he ended up going to a prep school rather than going to Kankakee in hopes that he could somehow qualify after one year of prep school and then go to college.  Not sure if that actually happened.

EDIT:  After some quick searches, it looks like he went Ware Prep in Georgia instead of a JUCO.  I found this article on him from last spring:

http://www.hoopsreport.com/news/eventreports/milwaukeemadnessshowcase

Montrell Clark '09 Ware Prep Academy, Atlanta (GA) 6'9 PF
AAU: Milwaukee Running Rebels
Clark definitely stands out on the floor with his size and athleticism-- he is a tall, slender play above the rim  type player.  One spectator referred to him as a "little Ralph Sampson".  His long arms make for good shot blocking ability and combined with his willingness to run the floor, good hands and soft touch, he is a scary threat in transition to catch oops and posterize his opponents. Clark also is having difficulty with his grades and at the moment is being looked at by Baylor, UAB, Wyoming, Texas A&M, and Alabama.

He's also listed at Ware Prep on the Milwaukee Runnin Rebels AAU site, and the announcement from Hill JUCO that he had signed an LOI.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 06:15:19 PM by bma725 »

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2009, 06:06:46 PM »
It's not so much a question of hitting the books.  Part of the reason Clark transferred to Pius is because he has a learning disability and they have a great special ed program.  What exactly that is, I don't know.

Thanks for all the info BMA.

Hopefully he can get the attention he needs at MU and be successful on both the court and in the classroom.

MU will definitely not be undersized for long but I think they will look at a guard with the last schooly or if they grab another 09 recruit.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2009, 06:09:35 PM »
Thanks for all the info BMA.

Hopefully he can get the attention he needs at MU and be successful on both the court and in the classroom.

MU will definitely not be undersized for long but I think they will look at a guard with the last schooly or if they grab another 09 recruit.

another pg would be nice

MUPHD

• Walk-On
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2009, 06:10:07 PM »
So is Clark going to play with a helmet?

That's pretty tasteless.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2009, 06:13:52 PM »
That's pretty tasteless.

Loosen up.

Didn't realize the hoyte toytes were here tonight. 1) Remove bundle from panties. 2) Try again.

yellow chickens

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2009, 06:16:11 PM »
Size wise they are similar.  Riley is skinny, but Clark is really really skinny.  They used to say he was 190, and that was a f'n lie.

In terms of type of game, they are different.  Clark is really a 4, Riley a 5. Clark is more of a face up man, Riley does his best work in the post.  Clark moves well without the ball, he can drive to the paint, he's great at catching the ball full speed on the break and dunking.  Decent shooting touch, though maybe not a perimeter player.  Then again the stats show that he's shooting 36% from three now.  Best asset is freakish athletic ability.  Riley is a true 5 with great skills for a true 5.  Ok shooting range, but not a guy you would want playing a face up 4 man spot.  Good defensively, blocks a lot of shots, but not the same kind of blocks that Clark gets.  Riley plays well on guys, Clark plays well when allowed to roam and using his leaping ability.  Both are great rebounders, though Clark might be a bit better just because of the leaping ability.

6'10 freakish athlete with great leaping ability?? sign me up