collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NBA Thread 2020-21  (Read 188124 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: NBA Thread 2020-21
« Reply #2475 on: July 21, 2021, 08:03:37 AM »
I also think the NBA was happy that the "super team" narrative went away for a season.  Really good optics to have a largely home grown team in a small market with 65,000 people outside the arena - even if the TV ratings aren't great.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

reinko

• All American
« Reply #2476 on: July 21, 2021, 08:07:02 AM »
More of curiosity since I don’t live in the area anymore, Bucks fans by and large behave themselves after the win last night?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2477 on: July 21, 2021, 08:12:19 AM »
More of curiosity since I don’t live in the area anymore, Bucks fans by and large behave themselves after the win last night?

I heard on the news this AM that there were very few, and only minor issues.  But there was a strong Police presence and that national guard was even mobilized.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2478 on: July 21, 2021, 08:17:43 AM »
A few shootings on Water Street I believe.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #2479 on: July 21, 2021, 08:19:15 AM »
Yep, watch it live on TV. It was around 12:45am.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2480 on: July 21, 2021, 08:22:06 AM »
First MKE world championship in my adult life. Congrats Bucks fans!

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2481 on: July 21, 2021, 08:34:54 AM »
I feel like there's a bit of crow to be eaten here, are the responsible parties going to step up, or do they need to be called out first?

No shame in being wrong, but the ability to own it gain rep points.

Don't be vague, talk yo crap

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2482 on: July 21, 2021, 08:58:56 AM »
Item in my NYT "Deal Book" feed, the newspapers daily business briefs:

Wall Street wins an N.B.A. championship. The Milwaukee Bucks defeated the Phoenix Suns in Game 6 of the league’s finals, earning their first championship in 50 years. It’s a major victory for the finals M.V.P. Giannis Antetokounmpo — and for the financiers who own the Bucks, including Jamie Dinan of York Capital, Wes Edens of Fortress and Marc Lasry of Avenue Capital.

I had forgotten who owned the Bucks. Which means they're owned by Wall Street moguls while the football team a couple hours away is owned by the public. That is not a judgment at all, just a fact that I find interesting.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2483 on: July 21, 2021, 09:01:16 AM »
Item in my NYT "Deal Book" feed, the newspapers daily business briefs:

Wall Street wins an N.B.A. championship. The Milwaukee Bucks defeated the Phoenix Suns in Game 6 of the league’s finals, earning their first championship in 50 years. It’s a major victory for the finals M.V.P. Giannis Antetokounmpo — and for the financiers who own the Bucks, including Jamie Dinan of York Capital, Wes Edens of Fortress and Marc Lasry of Avenue Capital.

I had forgotten who owned the Bucks. Which means they're owned by Wall Street moguls while the football team a couple hours away is owned by the public. That is not a judgment at all, just a fact that I find interesting.

I do find it ridiculous that they go to the owners of the teams first in the NBA and NFL championship trophy presentations.  Can't remember how they do it with the World Series.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2484 on: July 21, 2021, 09:10:31 AM »
Don't be vague, talk yo crap

This made me lol. 

I was really critical of Horst's handling of the bungled Bogdan sign and trade and then all of the assets that went away in the Jrue deal on an expiring.  While some of how things turned out might have been serendipidity - I don't think this team wins a championship with Bogdan and Bledsoe doing his best Holiday impression instead of Holiday and Connaughton doing his best Bogdan impression - hats off to Horst for constructing a team that fit together incredibly well.  The Tucker acquisition was huge and the role players really stepped up.  Still a ton of future assets going away in the Jrue deal, especially if Giannis gets hurt in one of the seasons before the draft picks vest, but who cares.  Jrue signed an extension and flags fly forever.

And I wasn't vocal about doubting Budenholzer, but the Finals went from what I thought was a bad matchup for the Bucks to feeling like a great matchup for the reasons Wades outlines.  I think turning a bad matchup into a good one is probably the definition of great coaching, so hats off to Bud.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #2485 on: July 21, 2021, 09:13:07 AM »
I do find it ridiculous that they go to the owners of the teams first in the NBA and NFL championship trophy presentations.  Can't remember how they do it with the World Series.

I'll admit I was kinda sad that Herb Kohl wasn't there for the trophy celebration. :-\

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2486 on: July 21, 2021, 09:18:46 AM »
Wow. Didn't think Bud had it in him. Watched it at Will's north woods, it was insanity and had a line out the door and down the block.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2487 on: July 21, 2021, 09:24:54 AM »
Booker should focus his offseason on growing up and becoming an adult.

Spent the entire series bi tching about everything. Clanking bricks when it matters.

He gonna learn it from Chris Paul?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2488 on: July 21, 2021, 09:25:44 AM »
Congrats to the Bucks and their fans. Well deserved.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #2489 on: July 21, 2021, 09:30:38 AM »

I've never liked that. GIVE IT TO THE PLAYERS, then coaches, then owners. The owners are fine. They'll get their turn. Let the people who put their actual blood, sweat, and tears on the line get it first.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2490 on: July 21, 2021, 09:34:12 AM »
Was at the game last night.  Could tell from the first 3 minutes or so that the Bucks were winning this game, and even with the ugly second quarter I never doubted it.  The Suns did not want their ring.  Jae missing open looks, Booker more worried about the reffing than playing, CP looked a billion percent uninterested in being hounded by Jrue for another two games, Ayton looking like the lights were WAY too bright.  CP finally got going mid second quarter when Jrue moved over to Booker.  The only Sun that actually showed up to play was...Frank Kaminski?

Incredible experience.  I heard getting into Fiserv for games 3 and 4 through the main entrance wasn't an issue, but with the expanded Deer District it was an absolute joke last night.  Stood in line just trying to get around the area for 5-10 minutes, didn't move an inch because the Deer District crowd was locked into their spots and nobody was going to move.  So ditched that and went through the parking structure to the sky walk.  That worked out way better.  The Deer District is an awesome idea, but if you're going to have basically one entrance for 17K people to get into (I believe only one other very small general entrance on the northeast side, then a couple small entrances for certain types of tickets), putting 65K people right outside that entrance probably isn't the greatest idea.

Wealthy, white privilege, hey?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2491 on: July 21, 2021, 09:37:51 AM »

Trying to make a political statement during what has been a celebration of the Bucks' first title in 50 years.

Some people show no respect to the mods.  It's a shame that an adult could be so disrespectful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2492 on: July 21, 2021, 09:46:25 AM »

Ask your friend Keefer for my HR department's email.  Voice your concerns with what they're paying me.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2493 on: July 21, 2021, 10:02:50 AM »
As far as this being the best Finala performance of all time it's either #1 or #2 in my lifetime.  I think people are forgetting that two weeks ago we weren't even sure Giannis was going to play in this series.  You add that he really got no help (other than Portis), and his defensive impact, I'm just curious where people rate this historically?  I think the Jordan G6 in Utah is right there but I wasn't alive to see Magic in 1980, Frazier in 1970, or Russell or Petit in their eras. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2494 on: July 21, 2021, 10:06:53 AM »
So winning in 5 is a gentleman’s sweep. Is winning in 6 after being down 2-0 the Midwest Nice Sweep?

I was so wrong. I didn’t think Bud could make necessary adjustments. I didn’t think Giannis had a diverse enough game to be the top guy on a championship team. I didn’t think Middleton was a good enough as a number 2.

This is incredible.

The Ope Sweep.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2495 on: July 21, 2021, 10:16:06 AM »
As far as this being the best Finala performance of all time it's either #1 or #2 in my lifetime.  I think people are forgetting that two weeks ago we weren't even sure Giannis was going to play in this series.  You add that he really got no help (other than Portis), and his defensive impact, I'm just curious where people rate this historically?  I think the Jordan G6 in Utah is right there but I wasn't alive to see Magic in 1980, Frazier in 1970, or Russell or Petit in their eras.

MJ's 1993 finals: 45.7 mpg, 41 ppg, 8.5 rpg, 6.3 apg and 1.7 spg.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2496 on: July 21, 2021, 10:24:37 AM »

Lol.  That is flat out stupid.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2497 on: July 21, 2021, 10:31:12 AM »

I just meant in one individual game Pakumi. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2498 on: July 21, 2021, 10:33:16 AM »
I'll admit I was kinda sad that Herb Kohl wasn't there for the trophy celebration. :-\

Depends on how much credit you give Kohl for "keeping the Bucks in Milwaukee".  Otherwise, good riddance.  He didn't know how to run the team and kept them in mediocrity for years cause being an 7/8 seed and making the playoffs was more important than have a few rough years but building a championship caliber team.

As for mocking Booker, he wasnt good last night (no Suns were outside of stretchs for Payne and CP3) but dude put up 42 and 40 in Games 4 and 5, in back and forth close games.  He also was brilliant in Game 2, 31/5/6.  Lot of Suns shrunk in big moments down the stretch, Booker is the last one who should get stick.  He's a bonafide baller.  Even last night he hit a couple contested mid range jumpers that were absurd

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2499 on: July 21, 2021, 10:46:27 AM »
Depends on how much credit you give Kohl for "keeping the Bucks in Milwaukee".  Otherwise, good riddance.  He didn't know how to run the team and kept them in mediocrity for years cause being an 7/8 seed and making the playoffs was more important than have a few rough years but building a championship caliber team.

As for mocking Booker, he wasnt good last night (no Suns were outside of stretchs for Payne and CP3) but dude put up 42 and 40 in Games 4 and 5, in back and forth close games.  He also was brilliant in Game 2, 31/5/6.  Lot of Suns shrunk in big moments down the stretch, Booker is the last one who should get stick.  He's a bonafide baller.  Even last night he hit a couple contested mid range jumpers that were absurd

Booker looked exhausted the last 6 minutes but he had a damn good series. His growth as an all-around player really impressed me during the postseason. He's entering his prime and will really be a handful. Needs to check his emotions a little better, but we could say that about lots of players.

I love Jae and he deserves a lot of credit for helping the Suns get to the Finals. But he missed 3-4 WIDE OPEN 3s last night when the Suns desperately needed somebody to step up. These guys aren't machines.

feedback