'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus Climbing The Ladder  (Read 57280 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Markus Climbing The Ladder
« Reply #225 on: February 21, 2019, 10:05:26 AM »
And yet half this board didn't think he should even be in a MU GOAT conversation...

Is it half the board? Or is it a vocal half dozen that are still stuck in the 70s?

I don't think I'm stuck in the 70s but I also don't think Howard is anywhere near the MU GOAT. That's not a knock on Howard, its just some guy named Dwyane Wade played for us and he's going to finish his career as one of the top 50 basketball players of all time and that's being conservative IMHO.

I do think Howard belongs in the discussion for All Marquette First Team...though I'd probably put him on the second or third team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #226 on: February 21, 2019, 10:13:00 AM »
I don't think I'm stuck in the 70s but I also don't think Howard is anywhere near the MU GOAT. That's not a knock on Howard, its just some guy named Dwyane Wade played for us and he's going to finish his career as one of the top 50 basketball players of all time and that's being conservative IMHO.

I do think Howard belongs in the discussion for All Marquette First Team...though I'd probably put him on the second or third team.

Wade was an all-time great, but he does gets bonus points from some for being a HOF NBAer, which Markus will never be.  Even strictly only looking at collegiate career I think Wade is probably the MU GOAT, but Markus absolutely deserves to be in the conversation.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #227 on: February 21, 2019, 10:22:00 AM »

MU GOAT, not what happened in the NBA.    The guys who won a championship always get points for that, as they should.    But it was a different era.    4 corners offense that helped MU in the championship.    No 3 pt line.   No shot clock.    Freshmen ineligible.    If Markus sticks around and MU has a couple of decent runs in the tourney, he is certainly in the conversation, though by no means a lock. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2019, 10:26:48 AM »
Wade was an all-time great, but he does gets bonus points from some for being a HOF NBAer, which Markus will never be.  Even strictly only looking at collegiate career I think Wade is probably the MU GOAT, but Markus absolutely deserves to be in the conversation.

I guess it just depends on how you define conversation. If you mean he's one of the top 10-15 players to ever play for MU then sure I would agree he belongs in the conversation.

For me, the conversation is more like "Who's better, DWade or Markus?" "DWade by several miles, next question."

This is all opinion of course, but I would honestly be surprised if you could find one person on this board who would pick Markus over Wade.
TAMU

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #229 on: February 21, 2019, 10:27:54 AM »
I guess it just depends on how you define conversation. If you mean he's one of the top 10-15 players to ever play for MU then sure I would agree he belongs in the conversation.

For me, the conversation is more like "Who's better, DWade or Markus?" "DWade by several miles, next question."

This is all opinion of course, but I would honestly be surprised if you could find one person on this board who would pick Markus over Wade.

In a 3pt contest?
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #230 on: February 21, 2019, 10:28:58 AM »
MU GOAT, not what happened in the NBA.    The guys who won a championship always get points for that, as they should.    But it was a different era.    4 corners offense that helped MU in the championship.    No 3 pt line.   No shot clock.    Freshmen ineligible.    If Markus sticks around and MU has a couple of decent runs in the tourney, he is certainly in the conversation, though by no means a lock.

I'm not talking about any guys from the championship era. Just Wade.
TAMU

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #231 on: February 21, 2019, 10:29:12 AM »
I would retire Markus' jersey as soon as he is done playing.

That being said I don't think he is the GOAT at Marquette.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #232 on: February 21, 2019, 10:31:41 AM »
That list is pretty incredible...to be third in your junior year (soon to be 2nd), even more so. The Buffalo 2nd half was one for the ages.  Certainly, it was the single best half I have ever witnessed in person.

When Markus improves his handle, he will spend time in the NBA.  The League values scoring.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #233 on: February 21, 2019, 10:33:36 AM »
In a 3pt contest?

Speaking of, Wade got picked over Novak for a 3 point contest at madness a few years back haha

Wade is a top 25 player of all time, but Novak is a top 5 unguarded shooter of all time (conservatively)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #234 on: February 21, 2019, 10:34:38 AM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #235 on: February 21, 2019, 10:36:20 AM »
Speaking of, Wade got picked over Novak for a 3 point contest at madness a few years back haha

Wade is a top 25 player of all time, but Novak is a top 5 unguarded shooter of all time (conservatively)

In fairness to the person that picked Wade, if I had to pick who I wanted on my team, I'm going to go with the future Hall of Famer.  I could care less about actually winning a meaningless three point contest.

But yes, Novak is the right choice if you want to win.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #236 on: February 21, 2019, 10:36:50 AM »

The fact that you can even ask this question kinda proves my point.  Markus is the first player since Wade where you can even ask this question without being laughed at.  The Amigos? No.  Zar?  Great player, but no.  Any Juco?  More great players, but also no.  Markus is doing things at MU that have never been done, Wade also did things at MU that had never been done.  That puts both solidly in the conversation IMO.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 10:39:03 AM by Its DJOver »
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #237 on: February 21, 2019, 10:37:33 AM »

I was there, to my recollection they also picked DJO or was is Jake Thomas over Novak?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #238 on: February 21, 2019, 10:44:44 AM »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2019, 10:52:01 AM »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #240 on: February 21, 2019, 10:52:37 AM »
In fairness to the person that picked Wade, if I had to pick who I wanted on my team, I'm going to go with the future Hall of Famer.  I could care less about actually winning a meaningless three point contest.

But yes, Novak is the right choice if you want to win.

Totally agree

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #241 on: February 21, 2019, 11:04:31 AM »
There are a few I would pick who were better then Howard within this century at the college level. Wade obviously. But also Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, and Steve Novak all come to mind as better. Lazar could also be in the conversation.

A lot of people get hard at seeing his 50 points and his average of 25. They fail to see a lot of other factors. Other facets of the game, offensive flow, defensive lockdowns, etc. That's not even considering the fact that compared to even 8 years ago, the game of basketball has changed a lot to favoring offense.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #242 on: February 21, 2019, 12:52:17 PM »
There are a few I would pick who were better then Howard within this century at the college level. Wade obviously. But also Jimmy Butler, Jae Crowder, and Steve Novak all come to mind as better. Lazar could also be in the conversation.

A lot of people get hard at seeing his 50 points and his average of 25. They fail to see a lot of other factors. Other facets of the game, offensive flow, defensive lockdowns, etc. That's not even considering the fact that compared to even 8 years ago, the game of basketball has changed a lot to favoring offense.

DWade is clearly the best this century. But IMHO, Markus is right there in the conversation with Jimmy and Jae, and a clear step ahead of Steve and Lazar.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #243 on: February 21, 2019, 12:53:16 PM »
The fact that you can even ask this question kinda proves my point.  Markus is the first player since Wade where you can even ask this question without being laughed at.  The Amigos? No.  Zar?  Great player, but no.  Any Juco?  More great players, but also no.  Markus is doing things at MU that have never been done, Wade also did things at MU that had never been done.  That puts both solidly in the conversation IMO.

Allow me to edit my original post then.

"Who's better DWade or Markus?" "LOL, DWade, next question."
TAMU

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #244 on: February 21, 2019, 12:55:08 PM »

I absolutely love Novak. But Markus is significantly better than Novak.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #245 on: February 21, 2019, 12:55:29 PM »
DWade is clearly the best this century. But IMHO, Markus is right there in the conversation with Jimmy and Jae, and a clear step ahead of Steve and Lazar.
Jimmy was more in the Lazar class at MU.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #246 on: February 21, 2019, 12:56:17 PM »
The fact that we are even having this conversation speaks to the AMAZING player we get to watch the rest of this season, and hopefully next.

This ride is fun!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #247 on: February 21, 2019, 01:00:11 PM »
Jimmy was more in the Lazar class at MU.

I think that's fair. Both great players, but not sure either even made first team All Big East.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #248 on: February 21, 2019, 01:04:38 PM »
Allow me to edit my original post then.

"Who's better DWade or Markus?" "LOL, DWade, next question."

You do realize that this is openly admitting a goalpost shift right? 

I agree that Wade was a better player, but Markus is doing things that no one has done before, and no one will likely do again, against competition better than that of Wade.  If you have 5 of the top 7 individual scoring performances in program history (not sure of the exact number but Markus has the majority of them), you get a spot on the conversation for GOAT, full stop.

The fact that we are even having this conversation speaks to the AMAZING player we get to watch the rest of this season, and hopefully next.

This ride is fun!

This also supports my argument.  We're literally having the discussion right now, which means that Markus belongs in the discussion.  How many more 40+ point games would it take to catch Wade?  IDk, but if Markus sticks around and not only becomes the programs first 2000 point scorer, but its first 3000 point scorer (not entirely outside the realm of possibility) will you still be saying that Wade is the GOAT and no one can catch him?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #249 on: February 21, 2019, 01:07:47 PM »
If we're talking just time at MU, Jimmy isn't close to the top of that list. Key glue guy his soph. year. His jr and sr years were inconsistent but he had some great moments. A couple buzzer beaters. But he's not close to the college player that Markus is, in my opinion.