collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 386138 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1800 on: March 09, 2021, 01:45:04 PM »
The amount of openings is staggering where I work. Where I live it’s a rush when Walgreens opens appointments.

I don’t shame anyone getting a vaccine if there’s appointments available the same day.

I know a volunteer working at the county, she texts her entire address book at 3p daily to find arms for vaccines.

I have a friend who is a pharmacist at Walgreens.  He texted me Sunday morning saying they'd had a number of cancellations and if I came in I could probably get my first dose, so I walked in and got it Sunday.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1801 on: March 09, 2021, 01:57:16 PM »
I have a friend who is a pharmacist at Walgreens.  He texted me Sunday morning saying they'd had a number of cancellations and if I came in I could probably get my first dose, so I walked in and got it Sunday.

Yep. Need arms, in many areas phases should just stop.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1802 on: March 09, 2021, 01:59:46 PM »
Where are y'all finding these openings at Walgreens?  My 65+ parents in northwest IL can't find anything.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1803 on: March 09, 2021, 02:12:43 PM »
There was an interview on television this morning saying that there is more availability in Wisconsin than people realize.  That people should stop "self selecting" themselves out if they are members of an otherwise eligible group.  I think we are just a couple weeks away from "procrastination" and "lack of transportation" being the primary factors for people in eligible populations not being vaccinated.

Yep. Need arms, in many areas phases should just stop.

And I think that might be the best way to manage the situation above if it actually becomes a serious problem.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1804 on: March 09, 2021, 02:16:19 PM »
Honestly almost everyone I know who has gotten it in Milwaukee has had their appointment at the Walgreens on 27th and Wisconsin.  If Walgreens does get their doses for the week on Mondays, I wouldn't be surprised if that location just asks people dropping off prescriptions on Sunday afternoons if they would like to get a vaccine while they drop off prescriptions.  While I was waiting to fill out paperwork to get the vaccine, an older man came in saying he had an appointment for his second dose, they checked their list and said his name was not on it, but they told him they could give it to him if he wanted or he would need to call a number to reschedule his second dose.  And then he told them he would just call and reschedule, hah.

A coworker of mine was dropping off a prescription (not sure this was a Walgreens though) and just asked basically how she can sign up for the vaccine and they asked her right there if she would like one.  I bet a good amount of people could do that and end up with one at the same time.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 02:18:15 PM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1805 on: March 09, 2021, 02:38:17 PM »
I just checked the Walgreens website, and they within 10 miles of where I am in Las Vegas, there are 98 appointments available for tomorrow.
Have some patience, FFS.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1806 on: March 09, 2021, 02:40:44 PM »
Ziggys if you are in FB join Chicago Vaccine Hunters, people post lord of useful info there not just for Chicago, but you do have to work through some of the crap like people posting the same question 850 times.
Walgreens tends to post appointments at around 6 am though today it was more like 7 am. and sometimes there will be a lot in one area as opposed to another, today people were  posting that they got appointments in Harvard and Marengo. If I hear of any other info I will try to let you know, I’ve had my two shots but am trying to gather info for others ( and actually found something that helped someone book their 95 year old aunt, woohoo!).

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #1807 on: March 09, 2021, 02:46:41 PM »
Walgreens and CVS are very hit or miss depending on the state, and the competency of that state. Some states have had zero, Walgreens etc big pharmacy availability. Some of this has to do with an over availability in rural parts of some states, while not having enough availability in more urban areas.

My 91 year old auntie was able to get her first dose this past week privately, only because some other elderly people got together as a group and worked with the local health department on their own. She has removed her name from consideration for next MUBB Coach, but, she is available to provide motion offense, and lateral quickness, on a consulting basis.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1808 on: March 09, 2021, 03:20:21 PM »
I was talking to a pharmacist at a grocery store, and he mentioned reaching out to the schools to get their teachers vaccinated. He reached out to 10 and all declined. It sounded like the pharmacy was moving towards the “let’s just give it to anyone who wants it” mentality.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1809 on: March 09, 2021, 05:30:03 PM »
I have discovered a strange dichotomy in the delivery system here in Minnesota: chain pharmacies are getting better vaccine supply than big hospital and clinic systems.

We are moving to phase 1C tomorrow (45-64 with a preexisting condition, and several new categories of ‘less’ essential workers). There were lots of appointments for these groups earlier today through a local grocery store pharmacy (Hy-Vee). OTOH, Mayo and the other local clinics are still struggling to get the 70+ crowd vaccinated. My doc at Mayo told me I’d probably have to wait several weeks longer if I want to get it there...so I’m gonna go the Hy-Vee pharmacy route.

IMO, this is rather unfortunate. Mayo has legions of nurses ready and waiting to administer huge volumes of vaccines. The pharmacies, on the other hand, seem to be stretched thin, and are struggling to get people through.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1810 on: March 09, 2021, 05:32:28 PM »
I have discovered a strange dichotomy in the delivery system here in Minnesota: chain pharmacies are getting better vaccine supply than big hospital and clinic systems.

We are moving to phase 1C tomorrow (45-64 with a preexisting condition, and several new categories of ‘less’ essential workers). There were lots of appointments for these groups earlier today through a local grocery store pharmacy (Hy-Vee). OTOH, Mayo and the other local clinics are still struggling to get the 70+ crowd vaccinated. My doc at Mayo told me I’d probably have to wait several weeks longer if I want to get it there...so I’m gonna go the Hy-Vee pharmacy route.

IMO, this is rather unfortunate. Mayo has legions of nurses ready and waiting to administer huge volumes of vaccines. The pharmacies, on the other hand, seem to be stretched thin, and are struggling to get people through.

Maybe Mayo should send some nurses out to the Hy-Vees.
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1811 on: March 09, 2021, 05:43:13 PM »
Maybe Mayo should send some nurses out to the Hy-Vees.

Possibly. But personnel isn’t the only issue at Hy-Vee. Space is a huge issue as well. Most of the Pharmacy setups just have walk-up windows and maybe one or two chairs to sit while you are waiting for your prescription. I have heard it gets pretty crowded when you add a bunch of people waiting for vaccines to the mix. Adding a bunch of nurses might add expertise, but make the logjam even worse.

IMO The better solution would be to send more of the vaccine to Mayo and the other clinics in the area, but my opinion doesn’t seem to carry a whole lot of weight with the Department of Health. 🤷‍♂️
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 05:46:16 PM by GooooMarquette »

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #1812 on: March 09, 2021, 05:49:29 PM »
lol that was me at my second Walgreens shot in Lakeview in Chicago. I took a selfie of me sitting in my chair waiting my thirty minutes afterwards right in front of the nail polish section.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1813 on: March 09, 2021, 05:56:50 PM »
lol that was me at my second Walgreens shot in Lakeview in Chicago. I took a selfie of me sitting in my chair waiting my thirty minutes afterwards right in front of the nail polish section.

Yeah. I completely get the idea of using retail pharmacies in rural areas or places where hospital access is a problem. But in places where hospitals and clinics are relatively plentiful, they would seem to be a better option than Walgreens, CVS or Hy-Vee.

Oh, well. I’ll go wherever I can get my shot soonest...even if that means I will soon take a selfie sitting between the nail polish and the laxatives.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1814 on: March 09, 2021, 06:04:17 PM »
Ziggys if you are in FB join Chicago Vaccine Hunters, people post lord of useful info there not just for Chicago, but you do have to work through some of the crap like people posting the same question 850 times.
Walgreens tends to post appointments at around 6 am though today it was more like 7 am. and sometimes there will be a lot in one area as opposed to another, today people were  posting that they got appointments in Harvard and Marengo. If I hear of any other info I will try to let you know, I’ve had my two shots but am trying to gather info for others ( and actually found something that helped someone book their 95 year old aunt, woohoo!).

Muchas grassyass.  Appreciate the info, Marengo isn't too far for them.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #1815 on: March 09, 2021, 06:10:25 PM »
According to a searching site, Florida has a few appointments available statewide. None in South Florida. Such a great job our gov is doing. Thank giod he refused outside help and just left it in the hands of his biggest donors. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2021, 06:12:06 PM by pbiflyer »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1816 on: March 09, 2021, 06:18:30 PM »
Get my second tomorrow at 5ish. Maybe I'll take some melatonin and ibuprofen right after and just pass right out.

Don't take the NSAID.  It lessens your immune response.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1817 on: March 09, 2021, 06:21:43 PM »
Moving from the logistics back to the science…a new study shows that the Pfizer vaccine appears to be highly effective against the Brazilian variant of the virus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/09/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1818 on: March 09, 2021, 06:23:58 PM »
Herd it werks on da manscape variant two, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1819 on: March 09, 2021, 06:25:08 PM »
Don't take the NSAID.  It lessens your immune response.

Agreed. Any anti-inflammatory drug could impact the immune response. When I get vaccinated, I plan to avoid them if I can...and will only take them of the symptoms are bad and persistent.

When I get my shot, I’m gonna go home and take a nap.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1820 on: March 09, 2021, 07:19:12 PM »
In Nevada, there are so many appointments going unfilled (thousands per day), they are considering lowering the qualifying age to 55. 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/thousands-of-covid-vaccine-appointments-going-unfilled-2298295/
Have some patience, FFS.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1821 on: March 09, 2021, 07:27:14 PM »
In Nevada, there are so many appointments going unfilled (thousands per day), they are considering lowering the qualifying age to 55. 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/thousands-of-covid-vaccine-appointments-going-unfilled-2298295/

Seems like a no brainer. Any vaccine that goes on used is a crying shame.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1822 on: March 09, 2021, 07:57:15 PM »
This surprises me: people in NJ are canceling appointments for Pfizer or Moderna  vaccines in order to get the one-shot J&J vaccine. If anything, I thought people would turn down the J&J because of the lower efficacy rate, but apparently many like the one–dose convenience. Just get the first one you can!

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/coronavirus/2021/03/08/johnson-and-johnson-vaccine-nj-doses-not-coming/4632150001/

Demand for the single-shot COVID vaccine made by Johnson & Johnson is so great in New Jersey that some residents are canceling appointments for two-shot Pfizer and Moderna doses, officials said Monday.

But after receiving more than 70,000 J&J doses last week, New Jersey is not expected to get any more for the next three weeks. And those holding out for the one-shot vaccine will lose their spot on a very long line.

"If you choose to wait for the J&J vaccine, you will go back into the queue," Health Commissioner Judy Persichilli said at a briefing Monday. "If that is your choice, we respect that."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1823 on: March 09, 2021, 08:38:53 PM »
Seems like a no brainer. Any vaccine that goes on used is a crying shame.

Technically, they aren't used; if there's no appointment, they stay in the freezer.

But yeah, the sooner we reach herd immunity the better.
Have some patience, FFS.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1824 on: March 09, 2021, 09:14:08 PM »
I’m now of the opinion that the eligibility requirements have had their shelf life, and open up vaccines to anyone that wants them. The amount of people under 55 (in IL) without pre-existing conditions or other eligibility requirements that should have been met, in my own extended family, that have gotten both doses is crazy. My wife, myself and my 39 year old brother are the only ones who haven’t gotten them yet (we are/were patiently waiting).