collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: In other news, DJ Newbill sets record  (Read 44643 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: In other news, DJ Newbill sets record
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2014, 09:58:40 AM »
 Squirm-o-Meter recalibration, no different than Saunders or Levin. Fifty Shades of Grey.

Amen. Don't like a little squirm, don't follow D1 or Marquette basketball - and that includes Al, Crean, Buzz and Wojo. This is big business, the big leagues. Holier than thou hypocrites who defend their guy's "squirm" while railing against another's are phonies.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2014, 10:37:21 AM »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2014, 11:39:14 AM »
I'm just going to put this out here:

http://www.libertycitypress.com/play-article/652-a-mentor-and-coach-returns-to-philly.html

Thanks for sharing Brew - what do you take away from this article?

You've been pretty hard on Philly Coach here (Stan Laws), and he appears to have done and be doing good work in his community.  Why do you call his credibility into question per your previous posts?
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2014, 11:51:48 AM »
I'm just going to put this out here:

http://www.libertycitypress.com/play-article/652-a-mentor-and-coach-returns-to-philly.html

So he worked with Southern Miss the year DJ Newbill attended Southern Miss.  I am guessing there wasn't anything going on behind the scenes during that decision.  Maybe that explains the reasons he had to "lie" (bend the truth, make his own player look like he was 100% innocent, etc.) about DJ Newbill and the story behind it all.  His "motivation."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2014, 12:12:19 PM »
So he worked with Southern Miss the year DJ Newbill attended Southern Miss.  I am guessing there wasn't anything going on behind the scenes during that decision.  Maybe that explains the reasons he had to "lie" (bend the truth, make his own player look like he was 100% innocent, etc.) about DJ Newbill and the story behind it all.  His "motivation."

LOL - Great logic Wades.  Like DJ reneged on his MU commitment so he and Stan could go to Southern Miss together?  Pretty sure it didn't go down like, Hey Buzz/MU - this is Stan and DJ - we no longer are interested in coming to Marquette.  LOL.  MU doesn't pull his offer, he's at MU.  Stan going to USM with DJ has nothing to do with what happened at MU (other than them being told to look at different options elsewhere as to Buzz wanting to go in a different direction.)
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2014, 12:15:18 PM »
Thanks for sharing Brew - what do you take away from this article?

You've been pretty hard on Philly Coach here (Stan Laws), and he appears to have done and be doing good work in his community.  Why do you call his credibility into question per your previous posts?

Uh....did you read the article?  He was dismissed from *an undefeated team* during the playoffs from his high school position, and ended up as an "assistant observation coach" at Southern Miss - the same place DJ enrolled.

You don't think that calls some of his actions into question?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2014, 12:17:30 PM »
LOL - Great logic Wades.  Like DJ reneged on his MU commitment so he and Stan could go to Southern Miss together?  Pretty sure it didn't go down like, Hey Buzz/MU - this is Stan and DJ - we no longer are interested in coming to Marquette.  LOL.  MU doesn't pull his offer, he's at MU.  Stan going to USM with DJ has nothing to do with what happened at MU (other than them being told to look at different options elsewhere as to Buzz wanting to go in a different direction.)

Why are you so set on taking PhillyCoach's word as the absolute truth?

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2014, 12:22:00 PM »

Uh....did you read the article?  He was dismissed from *an undefeated team* during the playoffs from his high school position, and ended up as an "assistant observation coach" at Southern Miss - the same place DJ enrolled.

You don't think that calls some of his actions into question?

I did read the article.  I don't find it crazy that he ended up at Southern Miss with DJ - that type of thing is somewhat common in high major hoops.  Again, DJ is never at Southern Miss if MU doesn't pull his offer...

Once his recruitment opened back up as a result, the fact his mentor and coach ended up at the same school DJ enrolled it - not ground shattering scandal as it has happened over the years.

I realize you are grasping for straws as what you "knew" wasn't accurate and of course came from the MU side of the story/MU spin.  MU was extremely quiet over the matter and had virtually no comments on it at any point.  Why?  Because their was virtually nothing they could say that would absolve Buzz of what he did.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2014, 12:24:27 PM »

Why are you so set on taking PhillyCoach's word as the absolute truth?

He's a hell of a lot closer to the situation than you are.  He's quoted publicly multiple times, along with DJ about how it went down.  Doubt they'd slander themselves in the media.  Meanwhile, MU says nothing to deny what they've said.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2014, 12:29:56 PM »
I did read the article.  I don't find it crazy that he ended up at Southern Miss with DJ - that type of thing is somewhat common in high major hoops.  Again, DJ is never at Southern Miss if MU doesn't pull his offer...

Once his recruitment opened back up as a result, the fact his mentor and coach ended up at the same school DJ enrolled it - not ground shattering scandal as it has happened over the years.

I realize you are grasping for straws as what you "knew" wasn't accurate and of course came from the MU side of the story/MU spin.  MU was extremely quiet over the matter and had virtually no comments on it at any point.  Why?  Because their was virtually nothing they could say that would absolve Buzz of what he did.

I'm not grasping at anything.  I think Dr. Blackheart pretty much hit the nail on the head.  That certainly doesn't absolve Buzz of anything - especially the stashing at a prep school and the lack of communication.  I simply don't think you should be playing those types of games because it can blow up in your face...just like it did here.

But it also doesn't negate what I have been saying all along.  That Newbill signed the NLI knowing that Jamil could be (or even likely *would be) coming to MU and the prep school issue was brought up.  Sorry but I am not going to completely take the word of an unemployed basketball coach who SOMEHOW ends up as an assistant of some sort at the same school were his star player ends up playing.

I mean, come on...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2014, 12:32:15 PM »
He's a hell of a lot closer to the situation than you are.  He's quoted publicly multiple times, along with DJ about how it went down.  Doubt they'd slander themselves in the media.  Meanwhile, MU says nothing to deny what they've said.

MU hasn't said anything because what they did was "squirmy" and unprofessional.  Laying low was the best option.

What I am saying is that MU did wrong.  But that doesn't mean that what Laws is saying is the absolute truth. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2014, 12:38:59 PM »

I'm not grasping at anything.  I think Dr. Blackheart pretty much hit the nail on the head.  That certainly doesn't absolve Buzz of anything - especially the stashing at a prep school and the lack of communication.  I simply don't think you should be playing those types of games because it can blow up in your face...just like it did here.

But it also doesn't negate what I have been saying all along.  That Newbill signed the NLI knowing that Jamil could be (or even likely *would be) coming to MU and the prep school issue was brought up.  Sorry but I am not going to completely take the word of an unemployed basketball coach who SOMEHOW ends up as an assistant of some sort at the same school were his star player ends up playing.

I mean, come on...

All this is fine....but...again DJ didn't bail on MU.  MU bailed on him.  He would have been at MU (without Stan Laws) had MU not bailed.  Stan - if you want to think stood to benefit by DJ going to USM - would have been happy about MU's decision to pull their offer.  Nowhere, at any point, anywhere did Stan ever appear anything but blindsided by it, happy about it - much like DJ.  It wasn't as if Stan was working out a deal with USM, got that wrapped up, and then pulled DJ from MU in order to get his gig at USM.

And as for the prep school alibi - that's all it is.  Nobody other than DJ, Stan, Buzz, Monarch would know what was said.  We have one side saying it never happened - the other - radio silent.  And again, if DJ knew all along prep school was an option - once MU pulled his offer - why did he just not continue on to prep school, and come to his DREAM SCHOOL the next year?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2014, 12:39:25 PM »
Okay...I'm going to put a little timeline together.

February 2010: Stan Laws fired from Strawberry Mansion

There's never been a full account of what happened here, but PhillyCoach was fired in the middle of a 23-0 season from Strawberry Mansion during DJ Newbill's senior year. It was alluded to in the article I posted above (get back to that later) but the bottom line for me is if you get fired when your team is 23-0, you are probably doing things off the court or at least away from the spotlight that you probably shouldn't be doing.

March 17, 2010: Ernie Kent Fired at Oregon

Because of the investigation, the smoke had to clear on Jamil as Oregon and the NCAA wanted to get under the flight of transfers. In Jamil's case, his family ran his AAU team so the conflict was easy to clear. He officially signed the end of June after his relatively quick release all things considered, after a month's delay.
I was getting whiffs for some time and part of that was due to stories that we or parties representing our staff were pushing to lure him out IMO.  That's tampering in my book, but there are ways to do it so you don't get in trouble and technically are within the letter of the law.

April 14, 2010: Newbill Signs With Marquette

So we know Marquette was (for better or worse) involved with Jamil ahead of time, and Kent had been fired a month before Newbill signed. I'm not saying Buzz is blameless, but by the time Newbill signed, the above posts indicate the staff was already planning on Jamil Wilson transferring. That's how we can be confident that Laws' story that it was a DJ-for-Jamil trade is false. Also, this definitely reflects poorly on the now-departed coaching staff.

May 18, 2010: John Hardnett Dies

Hardnett was somewhat the godfather of Philly hoops, but more than that he was very, very close with DJ Newbill. Let's look at some pertinent quotes from this story posted above on Newbill's relationship with Hardnett:

Quote from: The Daily Collegian
(Chuck) Ellis, who worked under legendary Philadelphia basketball guru John Hardnett, received word of Newbill’s situation and introduced the two to each other when Newbill was in seventh grade.

Hardnett had mentored some of the most notable basketball players to come out of Philly in the past few decades, including Aaron McKie, Mardy Collins, Dionte Christmas and Doug Overton.

Newbill said Hardnett assumed a father-figure role in taking him under his wing.

“Being introduced to John, I started meeting guys like Mardy Collins that actually made it,” Newbill said. “Going to workouts growing up and you’re seeing guys like Nate Robinson, John Salmons and guys out of Philly that actually made it out…it kind of lets you see, ‘All right, this can happen. This can come true if you keep working.’ ”

Newbill began to stand out as one of the best players in the city as he grew older, training with Hardnett and Ellis several times a week while in-season and almost every day during the summer.

The milestones he reached while at Strawberry Mansion High School are extensive. In his senior season, the guard averaged 24.2 points and nine rebounds per game — scoring 64 points in a single game once — was named Public League Player-of-the-Year, a McDonald’s All-American candidate and led his team to a PIAA Class AA state championship in 2010 at the Bryce Jordan Center.

Newbill said Hardnett was a common denominator for his success, as he helped him understand basketball wasn’t just a game and could be beneficial to his life as a whole.

“[John taught me] basketball can take you places you would never imagine and it could help you with things you probably would have never done before,” Newbill said.

Hardnett was never able to see his latest prodigy make it to the next level, however, as the long-time mentor died in May of 2010.

Newbill was shaken by the unexpected death of the 56-year-old. Yet, Ellis said the values instilled in Newbill by Hardnett — along with his former apprentices, themselves — helped the transitioning player through the tough time.

Newbill knew Hardnett since the 7th grade and regarded him as a father figure. When it came to basketball, this was the guy who taught him the game, guided his path, and helped him make all his decisions. Suddenly, that mentor was gone. So who steps to the forefront of the recruitment? His unemployed high school coach, Stan Laws.

Also, there was always the prep school rumor:

So long ago I can't remember, but wasn't the deal supposed to be that DJ knew that MU might want him to go to a prep school if Jamil transferred in and that's why he never applied to MU? He declined, chose Southern Miss instead.
I think most fans would prefer the swap and the plan at the time was for Newbill to hit prep school then MU as Vander was always leaving early (sophmore year at latest).
Also "Phillycoach" tried to publicly leverage Newbill into MU which made it impossible to move forward with the prep route.

There's a ton of smoke around that old prep school fire story. Maybe because the involvement on DJ's end came from someone who can no longer tell that part of the story?

June 29-30, 2010: DJ Newbill released from LOI and Jamil Wilson Transfers to Marquette

Here we come to the alleged "swap", which was always the story Stan Laws tried to spin, often using Brad Forster, a local Philly Marquette grad, as the mouthpiece. But if Jamil was already coming before DJ even signed we know it wasn't a swap. It looks that way. We all thought that was the case, myself included, but those most connected at the time knew the two things were unrelated.

July 19, 2010: DJ Newbill & Dwayne Davis Commit to Southern Miss

Stan Laws takes two kids to Southern Miss, both commit, and he ends up getting a job. Under NCAA rules, you can't hire a family member, but you can hire a fired high school basketball coach. You can even make up a silly position like "Assistant Observation Coach" if it gets you two kids that contribute (Newbill was named to the C-USA all-freshman team in 2011, Davis led USM in scoring in 2013).

A couple years later, Newbill is back in Pennsylvania at Penn State, and Laws is back in Philly working at a school notorious for cheating that has since been shut down and isn't exactly popular amongst the students.

So what do I take away from that article? Laws got fired under questionable circumstances. He took Newbill & Davis to Southern Miss and got hired to a position that most schools probably don't have and wouldn't surprise me if no longer exists at USM. And now that both Newbill & Davis are gone, so is Laws.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:43:10 PM by brewcity77 »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2014, 12:58:47 PM »
Okay...I'm going to put a little timeline together.

February 2010: Stan Laws fired from Strawberry Mansion

There's never been a full account of what happened here, but PhillyCoach was fired in the middle of a 23-0 season from Strawberry Mansion during DJ Newbill's senior year. It was alluded to in the article I posted above (get back to that later) but the bottom line for me is if you get fired when your team is 23-0, you are probably doing things off the court or at least away from the spotlight that you probably shouldn't be doing.

March 17, 2010: Ernie Kent Fired at Oregon

April 14, 2010: Newbill Signs With Marquette

So we know Marquette was (for better or worse) involved with Jamil ahead of time, and Kent had been fired a month before Newbill signed. I'm not saying Buzz is blameless, but by the time Newbill signed, the above posts indicate the staff was already planning on Jamil Wilson transferring. That's how we can be confident that Laws' story that it was a DJ-for-Jamil trade is false. Also, this definitely reflects poorly on the now-departed coaching staff.

May 18, 2010: John Hardnett Dies

Hardnett was somewhat the godfather of Philly hoops, but more than that he was very, very close with DJ Newbill. Let's look at some pertinent quotes from this story posted above on Newbill's relationship with Hardnett:

Newbill knew Hardnett since the 7th grade and regarded him as a father figure. When it came to basketball, this was the guy who taught him the game, guided his path, and helped him make all his decisions. Suddenly, that mentor was gone. So who steps to the forefront of the recruitment? His unemployed high school coach, Stan Laws.

Also, there was always the prep school rumor:

There's a ton of smoke around that old prep school fire story. Maybe because the involvement on DJ's end came from someone who can no longer tell that part of the story?

June 29-30, 2010: DJ Newbill released from LOI and Jamil Wilson Transfers to Marquette

Here we come to the alleged "swap", which was always the story Stan Laws tried to spin, often using Brad Forster, a local Philly Marquette grad, as the mouthpiece. But if Jamil was already coming before DJ even signed we know it wasn't a swap. It looks that way. We all thought that was the case, myself included, but those most connected at the time knew the two things were unrelated.

July 19, 2010: DJ Newbill & Dwayne Davis Commit to Southern Miss

Stan Laws takes two kids to Southern Miss, both commit, and he ends up getting a job. Under NCAA rules, you can't hire a family member, but you can hire a fired high school basketball coach. You can even make up a silly position like "Assistant Observation Coach" if it gets you two kids that contribute (Newbill was named to the C-USA all-freshman team in 2011, Davis led USM in scoring in 2013).

A couple years later, Newbill is back in Pennsylvania at Penn State, and Laws is back in Philly working at a school notorious for cheating that has since been shut down and isn't exactly popular amongst the students.

So what do I take away from that article? Laws got fired under questionable circumstances. He took Newbill & Davis to Southern Miss and got hired to a position that most schools probably don't have and wouldn't surprise me if no longer exists at USM. And now that both Newbill & Davis are gone, so is Laws.

That's a nice timeline Brew - and it raises some good points.  My question:  Why does MU sign DJ to an NLI in April then, knowing all along they will have Jamil and be oversigned?  Why not allow DJ to keep his recruitment open, see how things shake out with Jamil/Oregon - and if that fell through - then sign DJ in early July?  MU was DJ's dream school - told his friend as much prior to the start of his Senior year of playing.  If chances are good you can go play at your dream school, but dream school needs to take a wait see approach about another player - why not keep your recruitment open, see how it transpires (especially, if as you suggest Stan Laws had a plan in place to take DJ and the other kid to USM - they have a fall back plan), and avoid all the drama in the first place?

The whole notion of "Prep School" being an option was a convenient excuse that nobody could really refute - a classic he said/she said - the only parties that really knew:  Buzz, Monarch, DJ and Laws/Hardnett.

Why do you think Buzz didn't personally call Newbill to tell him the news?  Wouldn't you think as a grown man, you at least owed the kid an explanation?  In my opinion, he had Monarch do the dirty work (make the call), because Buzz didn't want to do it himself - as he knew it was B.S.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #139 on: December 03, 2014, 01:03:44 PM »
And as for the prep school alibi - that's all it is.  Nobody other than DJ, Stan, Buzz, Monarch would know what was said.  We have one side saying it never happened - the other - radio silent.  And again, if DJ knew all along prep school was an option - once MU pulled his offer - why did he just not continue on to prep school, and come to his DREAM SCHOOL the next year?

Buzz and Monarch cannot and won't talk. Blackheart mentioned above that it always seemed like Monarch was in the middle of the more questionable dealings. Again, I'm not saying Buzz and Monarch did the right thing, but there absolutely IS somebody else that would know. Sadly, John Hardnett also cannot talk.

It's all about being careful in whom you trust. Stan got fired in the middle of a perfect season for unknown reasons, was suddenly the primary contact for DJ's recruitment after Hardnett passed away, and convinced two of his former players to go to Southern Miss while at the same time getting off the unemployment line. If you think that's all coincidence, well, I guess that's your prerogative. But if you read the publicly written articles I linked above, none of that would be in dispute.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #140 on: December 03, 2014, 01:14:34 PM »
Buzz and Monarch cannot and won't talk. Blackheart mentioned above that it always seemed like Monarch was in the middle of the more questionable dealings. Again, I'm not saying Buzz and Monarch did the right thing, but there absolutely IS somebody else that would know. Sadly, John Hardnett also cannot talk.

It's all about being careful in whom you trust. Stan got fired in the middle of a perfect season for unknown reasons, was suddenly the primary contact for DJ's recruitment after Hardnett passed away, and convinced two of his former players to go to Southern Miss while at the same time getting off the unemployment line. If you think that's all coincidence, well, I guess that's your prerogative. But if you read the publicly written articles I linked above, none of that would be in dispute.

I could go along with your line of thinking:  IF DJ/Stan re-neged on MU.  But it was MU who pulled the offer/found a way out of it...and then DJ/Stan (his new mentor and high school coach), then explored the best available options late in the game that summer...

Oh well.  I'll let you have the last word on it. Whatever the case we all can agree it was a clusterf*ck and recruiting practice that none would like to see repeated.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #141 on: December 03, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »
That's a nice timeline Brew - and it raises some good points.  My question:  Why does MU sign DJ to an NLI in April then, knowing all along they will have Jamil and be oversigned?  Why not allow DJ to keep his recruitment open, see how things shake out with Jamil/Oregon - and if that fell through - then sign DJ in early July?  MU was DJ's dream school - told his friend as much prior to the start of his Senior year of playing.  If chances are good you can go play at your dream school, but dream school needs to take a wait see approach about another player - why not keep your recruitment open, see how it transpires (especially, if as you suggest Stan Laws had a plan in place to take DJ and the other kid to USM - they have a fall back plan), and avoid all the drama in the first place?

The whole notion of "Prep School" being an option was a convenient excuse that nobody could really refute - a classic he said/she said - the only parties that really knew:  Buzz, Monarch, DJ and Laws/Hardnett.

Why do you think Buzz didn't personally call Newbill to tell him the news?  Wouldn't you think as a grown man, you at least owed the kid an explanation?  In my opinion, he had Monarch do the dirty work (make the call), because Buzz didn't want to do it himself - as he knew it was B.S.

The reasons I put this together the way I did was to share as much as I could without telling someone else's story for them. It's not to exonerate Buzz. There are a few more details I have heard that are not mine to share.

Stephen A Smith wrote an article on Hartnett shortly after he passed. It largely characterizes him as the godfather of Philadelphia hoops. It wasn't just Newbill he was close to, but guys like Aaron McKie, Bruiser Flint, Allen Iverson, Jay Wright, Phil Martelli, pretty much a who's who of Philadelphia basketball.

Buzz shouldn't have taken the LOI. Buzz shouldn't have released Newbill from it within a day of announcing Jamil's transfer. The two may have been unrelated, but it was a foolish move by an inexperienced coach. Buzz shouldn't have let Monarch handle the whole thing.

If we've learned one thing about Buzz, it's that he's like a great chess player, always looking 2-3 moves ahead. He was always keeping his options open, setting himself up for bigger and better things. Goodman's article this summer told us as much.

I think the toughest thing about DJ Newbill's story is that so often, he was surrounded by people that saw more what they could get out of him rather than thinking about his best interest. I don't think Stan Laws is the only person in this story that wanted to use DJ to get bigger and better things. I really hope the best for the kid and hope he is surrounding himself with more trustworthy people these days.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #142 on: December 03, 2014, 01:19:50 PM »
Logical conclusion: Hardnett wanted MU for DJ and was OK with the prep school route. DJ was OK with it too as MU was his "dream school". Hardnett dies, enter Philly coach (the guy who did something squirmy enough during a 23-0 season to get fired from his NON PAYING coaching gig). He puts the kibosh on the prep school idea and packages DJ and another kid to Southern Miss for a paycheck for himself while he plays the victim, knowing MU can't comment. And useful idiots like Brad Forster and Chico can't wait to tell his BS Wilson for Newbill "trade" story.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #143 on: December 03, 2014, 01:20:55 PM »
I could go along with your line of thinking:  IF DJ/Stan re-neged on MU.  But it was MU who pulled the offer/found a way out of it...and then DJ/Stan (his new mentor and high school coach), then explored the best available options late in the game that summer...

Oh well.  I'll let you have the last word on it. Whatever the case we all can agree it was a clusterf*ck and recruiting practice that none would like to see repeated.

To the former, as I said above, those aren't my details to share.

To the latter, you are 100%, dead to odds correct. There were problems with that one right from the start.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #144 on: December 03, 2014, 01:28:57 PM »
Logical conclusion: Hardnett wanted MU for DJ and was OK with the prep school route. DJ was OK with it too as MU was his "dream school". Hardnett dies, enter Philly coach (the guy who did something squirmy enough during a 23-0 season to get fired from his NON PAYING coaching gig). He puts the kibosh on the prep school idea and packages DJ and another kid to Southern Miss for a paycheck for himself while he plays the victim, knowing MU can't comment. And useful idiots like Brad Forster and Chico can't wait to tell his BS Wilson for Newbill "trade" story.

Interesting.  Here may be the story we've all been looking for:

http://onwardstate.com/2014/12/03/the-marquette-connection-dj-newbill-and-the-scholarship-that-wasnt/

In my guess - I suspect the first time DJ ever heard about Prep School suggestion was at the time MU took away his scholarship.  There was no reason for DJ to sign an NLI, take himself off the market at that time with other high-majors being interested, if he felt it wasn't legit/ #donedeal.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #145 on: December 03, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »

There is nothing in here I would disagree with.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #146 on: December 03, 2014, 01:39:10 PM »

Lenny

Brew's story is pure horsesh1t.

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #147 on: December 03, 2014, 01:41:24 PM »

It took Philly Coach less than three weeks to sell his 2 players and himself to S Mississippi. Logic says that he had DJ renege from the prep school agreement. He knew MU had screwed up with the "conditional" NLI and would keep their mouths shut. He could be the good guy even as he leveraged (sold) his players. He even got naïve MU "fans" (Forster, Chico, etc.) to carry his water. Perfect.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #148 on: December 03, 2014, 01:47:29 PM »
Lenny

When you consider Newbill committed to MU on February 1 of 2010 - yes - it does call into question the timeline offered.  Of course you can't sign an NLI till April 15 (the spring signing date), but as you will see from The Source himself (Ganzer) this deal was done in February - well before Ernie Kent was cut loose.

http://marquette.scout.com/story/943278-stan-laws-larry-waiters-on-dj-newbill

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #149 on: December 03, 2014, 01:47:54 PM »
Lenny

I'm a fan Crash, but you'll have to do better than that. What's your timeline/story?