[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: In other news, DJ Newbill sets record  (Read 44255 times)

drewm88

• All American
Re: In other news, DJ Newbill sets record
« Reply #200 on: December 04, 2014, 02:10:24 PM »
Time to bring the back the NEP.  Ners Enabler Pledge.

The NEP is fantastic document which signatories commit to not enable Ners for more than 4 posts on the following topics.

1. Derrick Wilson minutes
2. DJ Newbill

Signatories must know, that future topics that are not currently on the pledge, but that are under consideration include.

1. Whether WoJo sent Gabe packing after he blows up out @ Long Beach State.
2. The possibility of Dawson transferring, and if he does, his future production @ another school.

Need a macro to review all messages before they're posted.

"The message you typed contains the words 'Derrick,' 'Dawson,' or 'Newbill.' Additionally, it is in a thread that already contains more than 3 posts by Ners. Are you sure you wish to post this message?"

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2014, 02:38:01 PM »
It would be nice if there was a "scoop penalty box" feature where the mods could restrain certain posters to one post per thread for short periods of time.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #202 on: December 04, 2014, 03:02:44 PM »
Sure sounds like a kid who thought Prep School was an option all along...

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_ec389e2c-4e8f-5861-91fa-1c06c71b82f7.html

The going-away party that never was
Heading into his senior year of high school, Newbill received minimal scholarship offers, all from mid-major schools.
So when he was watching Marquette, a consistent tournament team from the Big East, display its gritty style of play on TV with his friend, he decided to set a goal for himself.
“I was like, ‘Man, I’ll go there,’ ” Newbill said. “And my friend was just looking at me like, ‘Man, you got to be real to be on that level. That’s high-level basketball.’ ”
Yet, the Strawberry Mansion standout’s impressive final season seemingly helped him prove his friend wrong.
Toward the end of the season, the Golden Eagles’ staff, led by coach Buzz Williams, offered him a scholarship and Newbill said he did not hesitate to accept it from his top school.
Newbill’s excitement gradually rose as the months turned to weeks before he planned to arrive on Marquette’s campus.
“My mom was planning a big trunk party for me. She had a sign saying ‘D.J. Newbill, Marquette’ and everything,” Newbill said.
“It was probably a couple days before my going-away party that they took the scholarship away.”
Suddenly, Newbill’s excitement was replaced with frustration, his anticipation superseded by devastation.
There would no longer be a going-away party.
Newbill learned the crushing news in late June from his high school coach, Stan Laws, who told him the Eagles’ staff called to say the program wanted to “go in another direction.”
The exact reasons for Marquette’s decision to rescind Newbill’s scholarship were never publicized by the university.
Laws said at first the staff told him the reason for the release had to do with a problem with the application. But after reading between the lines, the high school coach said he felt the Eagles’ assistant coach, Scott Monarch, was not being completely up front with him.
“He kind of danced around the subject of why this and that,” Laws said. “I basically asked him, ‘What is it that you’re trying to say?’ And he just said, ‘I think Buzz feels like it would be best if we just part ways and D.J. find another situation.’ ”
Laws said the excuse of an application not being on file was invalid because the staff told Newbill to take his time with its completion just a week earlier.
Instead, he saw the release as a loophole to make room for Oregon transfer player Jamil Wilson, who the Eagles welcomed in his place.
“When that opportunity came for the Oregon kid to come in, they did it at any cost and at the expense of hurting a kid’s feelings,” Laws said.
Marquette Associate Athletic Director Scott Kuykendall declined to comment on Laws’ recollection of the release of Newbill’s scholarship.
“We wouldn’t have any comment on anything that [Laws is] saying like that,” Kuykendall said. “…There wouldn’t be anything from our end on it.”
Meanwhile, Newbill acknowledged that there were a lot of stories floating around, but said he ultimately tried to use the controversy surrounding Marquette — whose staff he said never spoke to him directly — as motivation moving forward.
“I was frustrated. I was devastated,” Newbill said. “I was a little confused. I was hurt. [My mom] was hurt. But, I guess things happen for a reason. The next day, I was getting calls from a lot of schools.”
Although most Division I programs had all of their scholarship slots filled at this point, Newbill ultimately received a late offer from Southern Mississippi three weeks later and he accepted it with open arms.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #203 on: December 04, 2014, 03:21:01 PM »
Ners, of course he was devastated.  It is where he wanted to go.  It is where he thought he was going.  There was no alternative.  The whole thing was sad.  Compounded by a few other things, but the guardians of the galaxy will rip anyone for saying it.  The whole "paperwork" BS that was given by the same person later fired because of other lying was disgusting.

MU shat on the kid after welcoming him to the fold.  Buzz didn't bother to call the kid, Buzz didn't even bother to call the coach....Monarch did....no one called DJ, his father or his mother (who would die about 24 months later from cancer).  It was wrong....across the board wrong. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #204 on: December 04, 2014, 05:46:44 PM »
Compounded by a few other things, but the guardians of the galaxy will rip anyone for saying it.  The whole "paperwork" BS that was given by the same person later fired because of other lying was disgusting.

No. No one here is claiming Buzz was the good guy. Buzz was a bad guy. He was wrong in how he handled it from the start and when things got worse he handled it poorly, compounding the problem rather than fixing it.

But Buzz being a bad guy does NOT make Laws a good guy. There is no benevolent father figure here. There is no champion who was looking out for DJ's best interest. Just a glut of bad guys using a high school kid.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.