[May 15, 2024, 09:14:05 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: wojo extended for 5 years  (Read 33640 times)

Nukem2

• All American
Re: wojo extended for 5 years
« Reply #175 on: May 08, 2019, 03:26:02 PM »
Vander only due to what he did while at MU.

Hazel was sent on his way

Remember, all of those guys you mentioned during Crean were told to hit the road - zero tolerance. Brandon Bell was a model citizen before MU, he did something bad, and even though it hurt Crean to do it considering the relationship he had with the family, he made Brandon leave.

What did Mason do, other than think he was the second coming of Wade?
Yep, Dameon saw his minutes declining with the advent of DJ, Wesley and Rel.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #176 on: May 08, 2019, 03:31:32 PM »
In my mind - and it is a completely subjective term - Marquette University will never be a blue blood, no matter how much future success the program experiences. 

A blue blood, once again in my mind, refers to a program that is essentially "old money"; It does NOT necessarily mean "most successful".  A school is a blue blood that experienced a high-level of success decades ago, built from it and maintained it, and will continue to have the potential to be a top-10 program consistently from that old success. 

The only true blue bloods are Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA and Indiana.  Many can (and will) argue about the lack of recent success that Indiana and UCLA have had, and they would absolutely be right.  However, it still doesn't change the fact that the were once the elite, top, basketball program in the country for an extended duration - and a blue blood status program can still survive based on past experience.  The next tier consists of programs like UConn, Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan State, Virginia and Arizona; programs that have won multiple national championships within a timeframe, or programs that have consistently been able to make Sweet 16s and further.  With what we have invested in men's basketball, there is no reason why Marquette cannot get to these levels IMO.

Right now, I think we are within a hypothetical third tier: Ohio State, Florida, Illinois, Marquette, Maryland, Oklahoma and Cincinnati; programs that had maybe a decade of dominance, but haven't really been able to return to that level (but are still competitive top-25-level).  This is clearly not a bad grouping to be associated with, but there is still room for growth.   

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2019, 03:34:48 PM »
In my mind - and it is a completely subjective term - Marquette University will never be a blue blood, no matter how much future success the program experiences. 

A blue blood, once again in my mind, refers to a program that is essentially "old money"; It does NOT necessarily mean "most successful".  A school is a blue blood that experienced a high-level of success decades ago, built from it and maintained it, and will continue to have the potential to be a top-10 program consistently from that old success. 

The only true blue bloods are Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA and Indiana.  Many can (and will) argue about the lack of recent success that Indiana and UCLA have had, and they would absolutely be right.  However, it still doesn't change the fact that the were once the elite, top, basketball program in the country for an extended duration - and a blue blood status program can still survive based on past experience.  The next tier consists of programs like UConn, Syracuse, Georgetown, Villanova, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan State, Virginia and Arizona; programs that have won multiple national championships within a timeframe, or programs that have consistently been able to make Sweet 16s and further.  With what we have invested in men's basketball, there is no reason why Marquette cannot get to these levels IMO.

Right now, I think we are within a hypothetical third tier: Ohio State, Florida, Illinois, Marquette, Maryland, Oklahoma and Cincinnati; programs that had maybe a decade of dominance, but haven't really been able to return to that level (but are still competitive top-25-level).  This is clearly not a bad grouping to be associated with, but there is still room for growth.   
Not a bad tie ring of teams, though most really would put UCLA and IN in the second tier as they really have not done anything recently to deserve that first tier.

wojowood

• Walk-On
« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2019, 03:36:39 PM »
More good things coming....

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2019, 03:42:11 PM »

like what?

anyways, based on the social media responses of current and former players, it seems as though the people who have the most important opinions on the matter couldnt approve more. markus, koby, sacar, katin, fischer all very vocal in their support of the extension.

also saw jjj and duane paid him a visit at the al.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2019, 03:46:08 PM »

Remember, all of those guys you mentioned during Crean were told to hit the road - zero tolerance. Brandon Bell was a model citizen before MU, he did something bad, and even though it hurt Crean to do it considering the relationship he had with the family, he made Brandon leave.

Brandon Bell was also not much of a basketball player, his weed incident gave Crean an excuse to boot him and save a scholarship.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #181 on: May 08, 2019, 03:49:33 PM »
I believe I have quite a good sample size of MU fans in my personal life and there is not much excitement/optimism regarding the program. Apathetic is probably the most common feeling with folks I know.
Apathetic is a good description of many MU fans I know including myself.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2019, 03:51:36 PM »
Ok? I’m commenting on the fan base’s read on Wojo based on the fans I know

Sorry my comment was snarky. The point I was trying to make was that the contract extension has nothing to do with anyone's opinion of Wojo. It is about giving our coaching staff all the tools possible to continue to build the program. I think anyone trying to say that this extension means that MU accepts mediocrity or that this is proof that Wojo and co has done a great job is pushing an agenda.

Coaches don't get hired, fired, or extended because of what they have done. It gets done because it is the best thing for the program moving forward.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #183 on: May 08, 2019, 03:52:59 PM »

I like your style. If I remember, after your last post something happened.  Hope I got it Right.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2019, 03:55:28 PM »
Sorry my comment was snarky. The point I was trying to make was that the contract extension has nothing to do with anyone's opinion of Wojo. It is about giving our coaching staff all the tools possible to continue to build the program. I think anyone trying to say that this extension means that MU accepts mediocrity or that this is proof that Wojo and co has done a great job is pushing an agenda.

Coaches don't get hired, fired, or extended because of what they have done. It gets done because it is the best thing for the program moving forward.
Agreed it was good for the program for the optics alone. Really hard to recruit with signs of instability
No Finish Line

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2019, 04:00:44 PM »

IIRC Hazel was sent on his way by Buzz, not Crean.

Regarding "zero tolerance" under Crean - there was zero tolerance for the guys who weren't all that good. Guys like Jerel were treated a little bit differently. My understanding is that TC had "friends in the department" and that on several occasions incidents were covered up.

Maybe I'm wrong about Mason - thought he had some trouble at Aurora West before he arrived.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2019, 04:11:15 PM »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2019, 04:23:36 PM »
IIRC Hazel was sent on his way by Buzz, not Crean.

Regarding "zero tolerance" under Crean - there was zero tolerance for the guys who weren't all that good. Guys like Jerel were treated a little bit differently. My understanding is that TC had "friends in the department" and that on several occasions incidents were covered up.

Maybe I'm wrong about Mason - thought he had some trouble at Aurora West before he arrived.

Absolutely true. Watching my friend get pummeled by 2/3 of the amigos was a fun night....

muguru

• All American
« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2019, 04:24:16 PM »

When??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2019, 04:41:37 PM »
I personally keep in touch with two Alums that are ex players. Both loved the extension. For what it’s worth.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #190 on: May 08, 2019, 04:43:32 PM »
Absolutely true. Watching my friend get pummeled by 2/3 of the amigos was a fun night....

Jesmu,

You're 100% correct, but for some Scoopers reality doesn't matter - only perception. As long as you keep it out of the newspaper it never happened. #Hypocrisy

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #191 on: May 08, 2019, 05:36:01 PM »
I personally keep in touch with two Alums that are ex players. Both loved the extension. For what it’s worth.

There are a LOT of current roster positively retweeting and commenting on the extension

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #192 on: May 08, 2019, 05:42:14 PM »
There are a LOT of current roster positively retweeting and commenting on the extension
This is all good to hear. I obviously trust their opinions more than my own.
No Finish Line

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #193 on: May 08, 2019, 06:07:48 PM »
Yep. I haven’t talked to a single fan that thinks Wojo earned this is any way. Many understand (hope) it was done for recruiting optics.

I haven’t talked to a single person that voted for one person in 2016 that knows someone that voted for the other person....yet somehow millions of votes went to both sides.  Imagine that....people run in bubbles and communicate in likeminded ways.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #194 on: May 08, 2019, 06:19:32 PM »

Which pretty much proves it was a personal and playing time issue for those who should not be named instead of a catastrophic failure of the entire program.

Go figure, the world still turns.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #195 on: May 08, 2019, 06:22:15 PM »

Well, what exactly did you expect them to do..?? That is their Coach, it's not like they would say anything bad about it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #196 on: May 08, 2019, 06:34:06 PM »
Well, what exactly did you expect them to do..?? That is their Coach, it's not like they would say anything bad about it.

You? Looking at the negative aspect of it? NO WAY!
They could have just not liked it. Which people are able to do.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #197 on: May 08, 2019, 06:49:06 PM »

What fjm said..

They could have just not commented. Or retweeted. Or come up with original tweets with photo collages expressing their excitement over the extension.

But you do you.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #198 on: May 08, 2019, 07:07:55 PM »
When??

Presumably 4 days, because that's how long passed between his last vague pronouncement and Johnson's commit, which was the first noted good thing, I suppose.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #199 on: May 08, 2019, 07:15:00 PM »
Jesmu,

You're 100% correct, but for some Scoopers reality doesn't matter - only perception. As long as you keep it out of the newspaper it never happened. #Hypocrisy

The problem with one coach is that drip drip drip drip wouldn’t stop and thus ended up where it did.  No one is saying Boy Scouts are needed, and yes kids do dumb things at that age....sometimes serious dumb things that don’t make the front pages.  Bob Knight and staff controlled Bloomington PD for the most part and handled it inside.  Packers had some bad stuff happen in early 90’s that was swept under the rug.  Doesn’t mean it didn’t happen.  Frequency was one of the problems with Buzz, along with the lying that went with it.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire