Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: DJ Carton going Pro  (Read 34955 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: DJ Carton going Pro
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2021, 01:44:16 PM »
::)

Yeah it took ole willie six whole weeks to start bitching.  Surprised he lasted this long.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2021, 01:46:27 PM »
Carton is a PG who has been on the NBA radar all last year.  He was in mock drafts for next years draft well before this.

He is?  I just brought up ~4 mock draft sites, I could only find him on one -- and he was the 79th player which would be undrafted.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2022-2nd-round/

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2021, 01:48:26 PM »
Yea, screw people chasing their dream instead of entertaining you!

I’m honestly stunned by the number of people in here who clearly watch or know ZERO about the NBA that think you only leave if you’re a guaranteed first round pick and if you don’t land with a team by summer, you failed and won’t ever make it.

J

If you haven't noticed there are many people here who presume considerable authority on all things basketball!

As for Marquette Basketball being entertainment I would suggest that for some people it's a full time job given the frequency and intensity of posting on Scoop. Some Meat Eaters have related how some of these folks post with equal fervor on all of the other MU Hoops sites, as well.

I cannot fathom such devotion to something that is essentially frivolous and superficial. Scoop as an occasional palate cleanser makes sense. Clinging to it as if life itself depended on it suggests something different.

Looking at a Meat Summit in November. In the meantime, are you headed up this way anytime soon?

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2021, 01:49:51 PM »
Different deal...Henry was a 1st rd pick, hey?

Worked out pretty well, eh Doc?

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2021, 01:55:44 PM »
For most of us four years at Marquette was a big part of our lives where we learned and grew up. It left a mark on me that I never forget.  They were great years. I feel sad for kids that drop out, no matter what reason. They're missing out on a good thing.

I am still suffering Lenny's and 'Lanche withdrawals.

Who doesn't long for those halcyon days when a man's passion for fornicating, swilling cheap beer, scarfing down chili, and watching some of the finest college basketball in the land comprised the bulk of his existence?

I mean, does a man reflect back on nights at the 'Lanche or differential equations? 

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2021, 02:01:29 PM »
I guess I will miss this board getting all enraged about Carton’s mother’s tweets this upcoming season.

Dave

If we want outrage we can cruise the Dawgs' hoop site!

Let's meet at North 47 for a beer in May

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #181 on: April 29, 2021, 02:03:53 PM »
I think because he was so low energy most of the game

Was his nickname "Jeb?"

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #182 on: April 29, 2021, 02:05:42 PM »
Has been getting weird spotty playing time only 4 games by my count. One bad one two average one good.

But I stand corrected. Not sure it was worth leaving a year early for that North Macedonian league money but I could be wrong.

I have been to Macedonia. They have lots of wine. Though it's not very good, it's inexpensive. Certainly within the financial reach of a marginal Macedonia League rookie.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #183 on: April 29, 2021, 02:07:27 PM »
But he didn't put out

Did he live at Cobeen?

Death on call

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #184 on: April 29, 2021, 02:16:45 PM »
J

If you haven't noticed there are many people here who presume considerable authority on all things basketball!

As for Marquette Basketball being entertainment I would suggest that for some people it's a full time job given the frequency and intensity of posting on Scoop. Some Meat Eaters have related how some of these folks post with equal fervor on all of the other MU Hoops sites, as well.

I cannot fathom such devotion to something that is essentially frivolous and superficial. Scoop as an occasional palate cleanser makes sense. Clinging to it as if life itself depended on it suggests something different.

Looking at a Meat Summit in November. In the meantime, are you headed up this way anytime soon?

As you go on to respond 7 posts in a row. 

ABSOLUTE GOLD

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #185 on: April 29, 2021, 02:20:46 PM »

Yeah it took ole willie six whole weeks to start bitching.  Surprised he lasted this long.

Sultan you are still as screwed up as ever, even with a different monicker. There was no bitching in my post, but there is plenty of whining in ypurs above, which is so typical of your total BS.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #186 on: April 29, 2021, 02:24:28 PM »
As you go on to respond 7 posts in a row. 

ABSOLUTE GOLD

Only on this godforsaken hellhole would some clown with EIGHT THOUSAND posts say something like this directly after posting 8 times in a row

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #187 on: April 29, 2021, 03:06:01 PM »
He is?  I just brought up ~4 mock draft sites, I could only find him on one -- and he was the 79th player which would be undrafted.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2022-2nd-round/

NBADraft.Net has been pretty consistent on him for awhile

https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/?year-mock=2022

Long overdue.  Hoping later in the summer if things keep opening up, will let you know for sure

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #188 on: April 30, 2021, 07:37:45 AM »
I am certainly in the minority here, but I was not surprised or disappointed to see DJ go.  It confuses me when so many people are saying he was a high energy guy.  He literally showed some good energy for maybe 5-10 minutes a game and that was it.  That energy and enthusiasm should be there for the entire game.  I think because he was so low energy most of the game, when he would all of a sudden decide to turn it on for a few minutes, it was more noticeable.  His stats were good, but not great.  He was not a consistently good three point shooter and he turned the ball over too much and was not a great passer.  He is absolutely very athletic and will get better now that he can devote to basketball full time and could possibly make it to the NBA some day if he can continue to work on becoming a better basketball player.  Lots of athletic players never make it to the NBA. 

DJ did not appear to be a great team leader and had he stayed at Marquette another year, I think he would have been more focused on what he could do to increase his chances at the NBA, as opposed to being a leader to the younger guys on the team, which would be understandable.  Just as I think having Henry Ellenson for one year made Marquette a little better team that year, it made us worse in the next couple of years, I think it would have been the same to have DJ for one more year. I am excited to see the new guys develop, guys that are obviously excited to play for Shaka and his system.   I very sincerely wish DJ the best of luck and hope he is able to make it to the NBA someday and if he does, I will be cheering for him.
My hope was that Shaka's defense would turn him loose and make him more aggressive on that end of the floor and that would translate to him going full bore all the time.  Plus with some (hopefully) competent replacement PGs, we could limit his minutes a little more. 

Doesn't matter now, I suppose.  Definitely a downer, but how can you blame anyone for following their dreams, especially when the world they signed on to be a part of a year ago has completely changed?
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #189 on: April 30, 2021, 08:27:11 AM »
Looks like Justin went pro too, I see the Chicago Bears traded up to draft him last night.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Spirit Of James

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #190 on: April 30, 2021, 08:31:23 AM »
Looks like Justin went pro too, I see the Chicago Bears traded up to draft him last night.

***Fields***

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #191 on: April 30, 2021, 08:31:43 AM »

Well done. Glad I am not the only one that laughs at those typos.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #192 on: April 30, 2021, 09:33:30 AM »
I am certainly in the minority here, but I was not surprised or disappointed to see DJ go.  It confuses me when so many people are saying he was a high energy guy.  He literally showed some good energy for maybe 5-10 minutes a game and that was it.  That energy and enthusiasm should be there for the entire game.  I think because he was so low energy most of the game, when he would all of a sudden decide to turn it on for a few minutes, it was more noticeable.  His stats were good, but not great.  He was not a consistently good three point shooter and he turned the ball over too much and was not a great passer.  He is absolutely very athletic and will get better now that he can devote to basketball full time and could possibly make it to the NBA some day if he can continue to work on becoming a better basketball player.  Lots of athletic players never make it to the NBA. 

DJ did not appear to be a great team leader and had he stayed at Marquette another year, I think he would have been more focused on what he could do to increase his chances at the NBA, as opposed to being a leader to the younger guys on the team, which would be understandable.  Just as I think having Henry Ellenson for one year made Marquette a little better team that year, it made us worse in the next couple of years, I think it would have been the same to have DJ for one more year. I am excited to see the new guys develop, guys that are obviously excited to play for Shaka and his system.   I very sincerely wish DJ the best of luck and hope he is able to make it to the NBA someday and if he does, I will be cheering for him.

Close to my thoughts as well but I was surprised that he left. Loved seeing him most of the time but thought there were too many dry spells within some games. If Shaka lands Jordan Hall he may well have upgraded the team as a whole vs. DJ returning.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #193 on: April 30, 2021, 09:42:40 AM »
DJ didn't always attack on offense, wasn't always as assertive as he maybe could have been. But that's not the same as not working hard, not playing hard, not giving his all, etc. He got clobbered several times a game taking the ball at opposing bigs. He dove on the floor. He worked hard on defense.

Also, to the best of anybody's knowledge, DJ didn't spend half a season pouting, and he didn't have disagreements with teammates and coaches. He didn't have an attitude that helped derail a promising season, and he ultimately didn't leave the team in a huff.

So I'm not sure why anybody is giving him any grief at all.

I also don't know why some people also seem to think he had reached his ceiling. "We had a losing record with him last season, and he had too many turnovers, so we can do better." Yeah, because Jimmy, Wes, Acker, Rowsey, Vander, Jae, Sam, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, didn't improve during their second seasons at Marquette.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #194 on: April 30, 2021, 04:17:05 PM »
Carton probably had 9 out of the top 10 highlight plays for MU last year. Outside of that, I found him painful to watch. He played half the game like he was in a trance.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #195 on: April 30, 2021, 05:33:01 PM »
Carton probably had 9 out of the top 10 highlight plays for MU last year. Outside of that, I found him painful to watch. He played half the game like he was in a trance.
He was like many of Wojo's recruits......proficient in a few areas while deficient in many.

Only thing NBA about him is his athleticism.  If you spliced Markus Howard's genes with Carton's, then you'd have a quality player that would do well in the NBA.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #196 on: April 30, 2021, 05:41:16 PM »
He was like many of Wojo's recruits......proficient in a few areas while deficient in many.

Only thing NBA about him is his athleticism.  If you spliced Markus Howard's genes with Carton's, then you'd have a quality player that would do well in the NBA.
I only understand blenders...not splicing.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #197 on: April 30, 2021, 06:17:25 PM »
It astonishes me that you are willing to continually embarrass yourself with your posts.  For someone who seems to follow basketball quite closely, I am quite surprised at your lack of knowledge about the game, about coaching, about recruiting, about leadership; pretty much anything to do with college basketball. 
His posts don't have anything to do with college basketball, they are merely a device to sh!t on people that support BLM.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #198 on: April 30, 2021, 06:28:23 PM »
I'm disappointed DJ is leaving because he was fun to watch. But he didn't put out the whole game. He was a weak passer and sloppy ball handler. I thought Coach Smart would help elevate his game. I think he's making a big mistake by dropping out now. Is he afraid of the high level of talent coming in? If so, its good he's gone.
I'm curious to hear what happened at practice that made DJ declare for the NBA.  Given the fact that Wojo gave long leashes to some of his players, it's my guess that DJ didn't want to play within a system where his shots would be limited. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #199 on: April 30, 2021, 09:35:10 PM »
I'm curious to hear what happened at practice that made DJ declare for the NBA.  Given the fact that Wojo gave long leashes to some of his players, it's my guess that DJ didn't want to play within a system where his shots would be limited.

Yeah. I’m sure Shaka was pulling him out of practices since they have so many players available at the workouts right now. All 4 healthy scholarship players on campus.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter