Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Morrow to Marquette  (Read 65860 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Morrow to Marquette
« Reply #150 on: May 05, 2017, 07:10:14 AM »
I am saying "more to come" to the story...

So, no Joey Hauser.

Got it.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2017, 07:14:26 AM »
Yes, of course an injury to Markus would put us in a bind. The more immediate problem is that he needs to learn to play D without fouling so he can stay on the floor.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2017, 08:14:34 AM »
Yes, of course an injury to Markus would put us in a bind. The more immediate problem is that he needs to learn to play D without fouling so he can stay on the floor.

FIFY  ;)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #153 on: May 05, 2017, 08:25:41 AM »
I'm not sure Marquette really needs or wants the CPS scene anyway.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #154 on: May 05, 2017, 08:50:08 AM »
Yes--Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and whomever Stan has contacts with seem to be the recruiting grounds.

Morrow coming here says more about transfers (Grad and traditional) being welcome here than it does about a Simeon guy coming here.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #155 on: May 05, 2017, 09:44:23 AM »
A pure pg? No.  But a quality pg? I think that's still vitally important. See Buzz'last season.

I am concerned about the PG position in 18-19. If Markus gets hurt, transfers or goes pro, that could drop us from final four contender to out of the tournament. Unless Haanie, Sacar,  or Elliott can be solid points,  I think you need to add one more in 2018. Luckily,  I think Elliott might just be the guy

I think they could have benefited from a PG who didn't just sit at the top of the key staring at the hoop while dribbling the ball for 28 seconds  ::) ?-(

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #156 on: May 05, 2017, 09:45:28 AM »
FIFY  ;)

Nah the best defense is putting up 40 on offense. See James harden

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #157 on: May 05, 2017, 10:12:16 AM »
So, no Joey Hauser.

Got it.

Didn't say that nor do I believe it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #158 on: May 05, 2017, 10:15:28 AM »
I'm not sure Marquette really needs or wants the CPS scene anyway.

Chicago basketball is so much more than the CPS scene and MU has missed out big time from the Catholic schools: Frank, O'Mara, Pryor, Ulis, Matthews, etc.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #159 on: May 05, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »
Chicago basketball is so much more than the CPS scene and MU has missed out big time from the Catholic schools: Frank, O'Mara, Pryor, Ulis, Matthews, etc.

I agree.  I specifically said the CPS scene for a reason.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #160 on: May 05, 2017, 10:28:33 AM »

I seem to recall us on O'Mara's list, no?
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #161 on: May 05, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
I think we recruited Ulis and Matthews (I'm assuming that's Charles) in addition to O'Mara.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #162 on: May 05, 2017, 10:59:18 AM »

Pryor wasn't really being recruited by any major schools at that time. In fact, he wasn't even the primary option on that Notre Dame team, it was Quinton Chievous.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #163 on: May 05, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
I think they could have benefited from a PG who didn't just sit at the top of the key staring at the hoop while dribbling the ball for 28 seconds  ::) ?-(

While that is an exaggeration, that's what I was saying. Great talent around the PG. Terrible PG. Terrible PG won out.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #164 on: May 05, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »
Great talent around the PG. Terrible PG. Terrible PG won out.
My point exactly.  If we want to be able to look towards a really special season in 18-19 and beyond AND we are fortunate enough for Joey to take our last scholarship currently available something must give and that something will need to open the door for a guy who can be counted on to provide 8-10 minutes of solid PG play.  Lots of stuff can happen on a team over 16+ months but we currently will not have sufficient depth at PG to be a top 15 team in 18-19.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #165 on: May 05, 2017, 11:45:45 AM »
My point exactly.  If we want to be able to look towards a really special season in 18-19 and beyond AND we are fortunate enough for Joey to take our last scholarship currently available something must give and that something will need to open the door for a guy who can be counted on to provide 8-10 minutes of solid PG play.  Lots of stuff can happen on a team over 16+ months but we currently will not have sufficient depth at PG to be a top 15 team in 18-19.

I disagree with this. Currently, we have plenty of depth at PG to be a top 15 team in 18-19. Junior Markus starting and a combo of Haanif/Elliott as the backup is more than sufficient. If we land Joey, I fully expect to be a top 10 team that year at this point.

IF something were to happen to Howard (yes, I knocked on wood) then we wouldn't have enough depth at PG.
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #166 on: May 05, 2017, 11:51:56 AM »
So, no Joey Hauser.

Got it.

Please post like an adult.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #167 on: May 05, 2017, 12:06:10 PM »

My point is that if Howard goes down, we are going to be in trouble no matter what.....it's not a position thing, it's a talent thing. By your logic we should (potentially) not have a more talented front court player so we can have a back-up PG in case Howard goes down. Roster balance is important but not at the cost of talent acquisition. I'd rather maximize the talent on the roster and assume whoever the back-up is plus the rest of the roster talent is sufficient to minimize the impact of Howard's loss...because the loss is his talent not that he's a PG per se.

Thought experiment. Let's assume Howard is going to be injured. Do we want to trade say, Theo John, for a back-up that is better than Elliot/Haanif but far less talented than Howard? If fictional back-up is better talent than Theo John, maybe otherwise what's the point?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #168 on: May 05, 2017, 12:39:55 PM »
This thread is ridiculous.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #169 on: May 05, 2017, 01:24:28 PM »
Please post like an adult.

What ever do you mean?  People talk in cryptic language so is it wrong of me to jump to conclusions?

Why can't people just be clear about what they are talking about?

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2017, 01:33:37 PM »
What ever do you mean?  People talk in cryptic language so is it wrong of me to jump to conclusions?

Why can't people just be clear about what they are talking about?
Kind of agree. You can post with qualifiers to avoid the pitchforks.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #171 on: May 05, 2017, 02:49:34 PM »

My point is that if Howard goes down, we are going to be in trouble no matter what.....it's not a position thing, it's a talent thing. By your logic we should (potentially) not have a more talented front court player so we can have a back-up PG in case Howard goes down. Roster balance is important but not at the cost of talent acquisition. I'd rather maximize the talent on the roster and assume whoever the back-up is plus the rest of the roster talent is sufficient to minimize the impact of Howard's loss...because the loss is his talent not that he's a PG per se.

Thought experiment. Let's assume Howard is going to be injured. Do we want to trade say, Theo John, for a back-up that is better than Elliot/Haanif but far less talented than Howard? If fictional back-up is better talent than Theo John, maybe otherwise what's the point?

Talent always wins.  The Cavs never win the championship without LJ.  The Pack never wins a SB without ARodg.  You don't give that up ever.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #172 on: May 05, 2017, 03:06:24 PM »
Talent always wins.  The Cavs never win the championship without LJ.  The Pack never wins a SB without ARodg.  You don't give that up ever.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #173 on: May 05, 2017, 03:18:28 PM »

PG is a more vital position than the others. I 100% believe that your star PG going down is much more detrimental to a team than a star SG, SF, PF, or C. Quadruply so if you don't have a quality backup PG.

That being said, I don't think you turn down a talented player just because your PG might get injured in two seasons. That's absurd. One, its far more likely than not that Howard will be just fine (yes, I knocked on wood) and two, we have plenty of time to address that need. By the beginning of the season, the coaches will know if Joey is coming or not, and they will know who the 13th man on the roster is going to be.
TAMU

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2017, 03:37:59 PM »
Made me chuckle, GBW.