Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Morrow to Marquette  (Read 65784 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Morrow to Marquette
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2017, 02:38:55 PM »
Handling the press with an All-Conference PG is one way to go about it. You can also handle the press with a 3 or 4 that handle the ball better than whoever's guarding them (ala Katin this past year and Henry the year before).

The roster next year with positions probably looks something like this:
-Wowsey: 1/2
-Marcus18: 1/2
-Haani: 2/3
-Sacar(wherever he is): 2/3
-Cain: 3
-#SammySplash: 3/4
-The Aussie: 4/5
-Heldt's Kitchen: 5
-Elliot: 1/2
-I like Ike: 4
-John: 4

In 2018 it looks like this:
-Cain: 2/3
-The Aussie: 5
-Bailey: 3/4
-Morrow: 4/5
-open spot that is Joey's for the taking: 4/5

There are enough ball handlers this coming season for sure, and likely next season that we'll be ok.....having said that I would be totally shocked if the 18 roster looks like I've detailed it and someone isn't gone/not here and a PG who can shoot is in that roster spot

Bottom line, the roster looks awesome for this coming season and in pretty good shape for '18 so I'm going to take it and run.
I like your nickname for Rowsey,

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
So your saying we should have passed on Morrow?

I am saying "more to come" to the story...

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2017, 02:41:56 PM »
Ike won't play a minute next season, nor should he see any significant minutes until his Junior season.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2017, 02:59:17 PM »
Ike won't play a minute next season, nor should he see any significant minutes until his Junior season.

i've got to archive this one
don't...don't don't don't don't

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2017, 03:08:21 PM »
I am saying "more to come" to the story...

So Evil, hoos leavin', hey?

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #130 on: May 04, 2017, 03:14:03 PM »

Put it in your signature
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2017, 03:15:36 PM »
One take away from this thread....based on the various levels of talent evaluation we have this board we should have an embarrassment of riches in the talent department next year.

It's good to be good again.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #132 on: May 04, 2017, 03:32:22 PM »
Handling the press with an All-Conference PG is one way to go about it. You can also handle the press with a 3 or 4 that handle the ball better than whoever's guarding them (ala Katin this past year and Henry the year before).

The roster next year with positions probably looks something like this:
-Wowsey: 1/2
-Cain: 3
-The Aussie: 4/5

-Marcus1819: 1/2

There are enough ball handlers this coming season for sure, and likely next season that we'll be ok.....having said that I would be totally shocked if the 18 roster looks like I've detailed it and someone isn't gone/not here and a PG who can shoot is in that roster spot

Bottom line, the roster looks awesome for this coming season and in pretty good shape for '18 so I'm going to take it and run.
There FIFY
Goal is National Championship

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #133 on: May 04, 2017, 03:38:31 PM »

There are enough ball handlers this coming season for sure,

Given how good that team is at all other positions (compete for BE title, Top 15 overall) going in to the season with 1 point guard (what looks to be a great one but only 1 guy) and your only sub at that position is a guy who didn't play point in HS and wasn't projected as a point, I would have some real concerns.  Point is the most important position on a college team.  I'd like to go into each year with 2 proven #1s and an incoming freshman #1 for a total of 3.  We've seen what happens when you have a very solid front line and no one to get them the ball.  I hope we haven't over compensated for not enough rebounding and height up front this year by putting ourselves in the position that a 1 or 2 game injury to Markus or even foul problems for Markus cost us games in what could otherwise have been a special season 2 years from now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #134 on: May 04, 2017, 03:41:17 PM »
Hate to break it to people, but an injury to Markus in 2 seasons is probably going to cost us some games whether we have Quentin Grimes and Traci Carter or Elliott and Cheatham as his backup. Very few teams out there won't take a hit when their best player goes down, no matter how deep they are.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #135 on: May 04, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »

You gonna archive the comment about Ike being better than Froling next year too? Or just call someone out when they pick a POV you don't like?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #136 on: May 04, 2017, 04:14:14 PM »
Given how good that team is at all other positions (compete for BE title, Top 15 overall) going in to the season with 1 point guard (what looks to be a great one but only 1 guy) and your only sub at that position is a guy who didn't play point in HS and wasn't projected as a point, I would have some real concerns.  Point is the most important position on a college team.  I'd like to go into each year with 2 proven #1s and an incoming freshman #1 for a total of 3.  We've seen what happens when you have a very solid front line and no one to get them the ball.  I hope we haven't over compensated for not enough rebounding and height up front this year by putting ourselves in the position that a 1 or 2 game injury to Markus or even foul problems for Markus cost us games in what could otherwise have been a special season 2 years from now.

I don't think a pure PG is as important as it use to be. I think we have plenty of ball handlers across all the positions. Losing Marcus would suck no matter whether we have a strictly PG back-up or a make shift one.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2017, 04:39:13 PM »
I don't think a pure PG is as important as it use to be. I think we have plenty of ball handlers across all the positions. Losing Marcus would suck no matter whether we have a strictly PG back-up or a make shift one.

A pure pg? No.  But a quality pg? I think that's still vitally important. See Buzz'last season.

I am concerned about the PG position in 18-19. If Markus gets hurt, transfers or goes pro, that could drop us from final four contender to out of the tournament. Unless Haanie, Sacar,  or Elliott can be solid points,  I think you need to add one more in 2018. Luckily,  I think Elliott might just be the guy
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2017, 04:49:45 PM »
Agree that PG is our biggest risk. I am NOT worried about the 2/3 switchable once Rowsey is gone or if he goes down this year. Obviously we suffer without his sharpshooting, but we have people who can fill those (notably, Cain, who I think people are WAY underselling), and they're typically easier to find.

This team is exciting, but even holding down the fort at point could be a challenge when Markus is on the bench. The lack of anyone with a really strong handle can affect the speed at which we play and can be a waterfall effect on our offense's effectiveness in those (hopefully limited) minutes.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #139 on: May 04, 2017, 05:44:38 PM »

Ike is a distant third in the depth chart at the 5 behind Harry and Heldt and probably behind Theo at this point as well if he splits minutes between the 4 and 5.

Considering none of those players graduate within the next two years, and with Morrow and maybe Joey coming next year, there's practically no minutes for Ike in the front court.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2017, 07:38:22 PM »
Ike is a distant third in the depth chart at the 5 behind Harry and Heldt and probably behind Theo at this point as well if he splits minutes between the 4 and 5.

Considering none of those players graduate within the next two years, and with Morrow and maybe Joey coming next year, there's practically no minutes for Ike in the front court.

that's a reasonable explanation.  far better than some of the others.  i hope you're right about joey.  gotta think about injuries, unforeseen "team rules" issues, etc etc 

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2017, 09:47:27 PM »
Coming from Simeon, does Morrow's commitment open some new doors in recruiting Chicago?
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2017, 10:26:33 PM »
Coming from Simeon, does Morrow's commitment open some new doors in recruiting Chicago?

Nah
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2017, 10:35:24 PM »

That's not how you open doors to recruiting Chicago
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #144 on: May 05, 2017, 04:36:25 AM »
Ehh. Howard is our point guard.  If there is one dude on the team I don't want to erk by bringing in top tier talent at his position, its Howard. 

I am not against a PG in the 18-19 class at all (Grimes would be fantastic). I also wanted some of the available freshman / sophomore PG transfers to come to MU as well.  But I just don't think its a super duper priority, especially with Elliot in the fold now.

I'm skeptical about Elliot at the point.  I remember when Sandy Cohen was a HS senior some posted enthusiastically about his ability to play PG......
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2017, 04:50:36 AM »
Ike had offers from Pitt and Xavier . We got him early in the process. Ike is going to be a huge contributor to our success in the future.

Kostas II?

All kidding aside, what most don't realise about Ike is that he has very little time as a basketball player.  He's a very athletic big who has big upside potential because he is still improving at a high rate due to his lack of early exposure to the game.

On the other hand, he did commit early and since then he's been recruited over twice.  My worst case scenario is that he gets impatient and MU winds up developing Eke for someone else's benefit.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2017, 04:52:10 AM »
Why is Froling ahead of Ike in the depth chart? I see it the other way around. Ike can play defense , rebound run the floor and he can also shoot. I view Froling as the project , not Ike.

OK, now I know we're dealing with Kostas II.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2017, 04:58:02 AM »
Kostas II?

All kidding aside, what most don't realise about Ike is that he has very little time as a basketball player.  He's a very athletic big who has big upside potential because he is still improving at a high rate due to his lack of early exposure to the game.

On the other hand, he did commit early and since then he's been recruited over twice.  My worst case scenario is that he gets impatient and MU winds up developing Eke for someone else's benefit.

Recruited over twice?  Are you putting Froling into that sentence? Not the same player or position.

Now I'll put this scenario out there.  With 10 players available the first semester, Ike is going to get minutes.  If Wojo and the staff feel he needs development when Morrow becomes eligible, Ike becomes Amal McCaskill and redshirts his sophomore year.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2017, 06:24:30 AM »

steve taylor jr. was from simeon-played with jabari parker briefly.  just a little "aside" frankie k and his team from benet, beat simeon (taylor/parker) in 2011, 58-54.  simeon was ranked #1 locally and 3 nationally while benet was 3 and 24 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2017, 07:08:44 AM »
steve taylor jr. was from simeon-played with jabari parker briefly.  just a little "aside" frankie k and his team from benet, beat simeon (taylor/parker) in 2011, 58-54.  simeon was ranked #1 locally and 3 nationally while benet was 3 and 24 

FWIW, CPS coaches have really taken a liking to Underwood at Illinois.  They really hated Groce.