collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384494 times)

pacearrow02

• Starter
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1625 on: March 02, 2021, 10:03:34 AM »
The initial message was also 2 weeks to flatten the curve.   

People chose to remember what they want.  For a lot of people, Fauci's credibility was shot then.

As previously discussed, early on messaging was all over the place coming from all angles.  Today is the one year anniversary of NY political leaders jointly urging New Yorkers to go on about their normal daily lives.  Ride the subways, go to a movie etc cause as they said in the release this virus is very difficult to “pass to one another”. 

In fairness to Fauci and the rest of the task force, the initial 15 days to slow the spread message was largely in the context of making sure hospitals don’t get overrun.  I don’t believe the goal of that timeline was 15 days of good behavior will wipe the virus from existence, unfortunately as things got politicized the goalposts of what that 15-30 day “lockdown” period was supposed to achieve got shifted. 

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1626 on: March 02, 2021, 10:21:06 AM »
The initial message was also 2 weeks to flatten the curve.   

People chose to remember what they want.  For a lot of people, Fauci's credibility was shot then.

True enough. Either way, we have been forced into the unfortunate reality that current messaging is hampered by overly optimistic statements from the past.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1627 on: March 02, 2021, 11:08:06 AM »
https://mobile.twitter.com/Acosta/status/1234662406443241478

It’s been strangely interesting and looking at the daily updates as each day in 2021 brings the “what happened a year ago today” pandemic timeline.

This quote of “I think he finally got it” from a pharmaceutical eXpeRT implying the idea of a vaccine being ready in less then a year is moronic and impossible was thankfully wrong.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1628 on: March 02, 2021, 11:52:39 AM »
It's troubling that the then-president willingly and admittedly lied to the public for months about the severity of a virus that he privately acknowledged was 5 times "more deadly than even your strenuous flus" while publicly saying it was just like the flu. But I seriously give him some slack for much of what he said in February and into March for the very reasons we're discussing now: The messaging by the supposed experts WAS all over the place.

I mean, Fauci and others WERE saying that masks not only were unnecessary but actually bad. They theoretically were doing it to protect the supply of masks for health-care workers, but it still wasn't true. Why should the then-president be blamed for saying similar things?

However, by mid-March into April, the messaging from the scientists changed quite significantly. Masks were being strongly recommended, as was social distancing and other mitigation efforts. And the then-president was mostly going along ... until mid-April when he got impatient and just chucked the entire thing. It didn't matter that he, himself, had laid out guidelines for re-opening; he simply said "screw it." And he started telling his followers to screw it, too.

That's where the dishonest, dangerous messaging became all his. "Damn the science! Full steam ahead!" It led to hundreds of thousands of Americans dying from COVID-19, and it ultimately led to him getting fired.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1629 on: March 02, 2021, 01:21:59 PM »
It's troubling that the then-president willingly and admittedly lied to the public for months about the severity of a virus that he privately acknowledged was 5 times "more deadly than even your strenuous flus" while publicly saying it was just like the flu. But I seriously give him some slack for much of what he said in February and into March for the very reasons we're discussing now: The messaging by the supposed experts WAS all over the place.

I mean, Fauci and others WERE saying that masks not only were unnecessary but actually bad. They theoretically were doing it to protect the supply of masks for health-care workers, but it still wasn't true. Why should the then-president be blamed for saying similar things?

However, by mid-March into April, the messaging from the scientists changed quite significantly. Masks were being strongly recommended, as was social distancing and other mitigation efforts. And the then-president was mostly going along ... until mid-April when he got impatient and just chucked the entire thing. It didn't matter that he, himself, had laid out guidelines for re-opening; he simply said "screw it." And he started telling his followers to screw it, too.

That's where the dishonest, dangerous messaging became all his. "Damn the science! Full steam ahead!" It led to hundreds of thousands of Americans dying from COVID-19, and it ultimately led to him getting fired.

Ya his messaging around masks was dumb, confusing and inconsistent.

But he often times encouraged the use of masks/face coverings and repeatedly said he has no problem with them but that it’s simply not for him.  In late March/early April he was criticized for encouraging people to use a scarf or other cloth covering on their face since hospitals needed the n95 and surgical masks saved for them.  I agree in that his mask messaging was not great and cost us/him dearly but to say he said “f “ it isn’t exactly the case either.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/01/coronavirus-trumps-idea-to-use-scarf-is-unproven-doctors-say.html

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1630 on: March 02, 2021, 03:56:58 PM »
Ya his messaging around masks was dumb, confusing and inconsistent.

But he often times encouraged the use of masks/face coverings and repeatedly said he has no problem with them but that it’s simply not for him.  In late March/early April he was criticized for encouraging people to use a scarf or other cloth covering on their face since hospitals needed the n95 and surgical masks saved for them.  I agree in that his mask messaging was not great and cost us/him dearly but to say he said “f “ it isn’t exactly the case either.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/01/coronavirus-trumps-idea-to-use-scarf-is-unproven-doctors-say.html

On April 16, the then-president had the most presidential day of his term, calmly and thoroughly telling America about guidelines that states needed to reach to re-open.

Eighteen hours later, he encouraged thugs to storm several state capitols and "LIBERATE MINNESOTA! LIBERATE MICHIGAN! LIBERATE VIRGINIA!" even though not a single one of those states were anywhere near having met the guidelines that he, himself, had presented. (Fun fact: Many of the thugs who stormed the Michigan capitol at Trump's urging later tried to kidnap, torture and kill the governor.)

That was the beginning of the end. On April 29, Jared called the administration's response to the virus "a great success story." (Yes! Victory over COVID-19 was achieved by the noble Donald F. Trump! Only about 500K more Americans would die after that, thanks to his successful handling of the virus!)

From then on, it was one dereliction of duty after another. No-mask, no-social-distancing, super-spreader rallies that killed and/or hospitalized his own supporters (and himself) ... not only refusing to wear a mask himself but actually mocking those who did wear masks ... using racist names to describe the virus ... lies and more lies and more lies, etc.

It was more than a little bad messaging about masks, but if that's what you need to believe to feel good about your hero, that's cool.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1631 on: March 02, 2021, 03:58:05 PM »
Wow. Biden announcing there will be enough to vaccinate every adult by the end of May. Can’t say I was expecting that.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1632 on: March 02, 2021, 04:01:50 PM »
Happy Summer!!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1633 on: March 02, 2021, 04:08:14 PM »
On April 16, the then-president had the most presidential day of his term, calmly and thoroughly telling America about guidelines that states needed to reach to re-open.

Eighteen hours later, he encouraged thugs to storm several state capitols and "LIBERATE MINNESOTA! LIBERATE MICHIGAN! LIBERATE VIRGINIA!" even though not a single one of those states were anywhere near having met the guidelines that he, himself, had presented. (Fun fact: Many of the thugs who stormed the Michigan capitol at Trump's urging later tried to kidnap, torture and kill the governor.)

That was the beginning of the end. On April 29, Jared called the administration's response to the virus "a great success story." (Yes! Victory over COVID-19 was achieved by the noble Donald F. Trump! Only about 500K more Americans would die after that, thanks to his successful handling of the virus!)

From then on, it was one dereliction of duty after another. No-mask, no-social-distancing, super-spreader rallies that killed and/or hospitalized his own supporters (and himself) ... not only refusing to wear a mask himself but actually mocking those who did wear masks ... using racist names to describe the virus ... lies and more lies and more lies, etc.

It was more than a little bad messaging about masks, but if that's what you need to believe to feel good about your hero, that's cool.

So if he tweeted “Liberate Michigan but remember keep 6ft of distance and wear your masks” he would have been fine?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1634 on: March 02, 2021, 04:12:41 PM »
Wow. Biden announcing there will be enough to vaccinate every adult by the end of May. Can’t say I was expecting that.

Amazing news!!!  So with states already opening up fully and able bodied adults who want a vaccine being able to get one in the next 60-90 days why in the hell are we trying to pass another 1.9 trillion worth of Covid aid?  There are hundreds of billions left already unspent, reallocate those leftovers more appropriately and let’s get the show on the road.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1635 on: March 02, 2021, 04:13:34 PM »
Dolly 'effin Parton is a national treasure.

https://twitter.com/DollyParton/status/1366866210852323328?s=20
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1636 on: March 02, 2021, 04:18:58 PM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1638 on: March 02, 2021, 05:05:59 PM »
Amazing news!!!  So with states already opening up fully and able bodied adults who want a vaccine being able to get one in the next 60-90 days why in the hell are we trying to pass another 1.9 trillion worth of Covid aid?  There are hundreds of billions left already unspent, reallocate those leftovers more appropriately and let’s get the show on the road.

There is an awful amount of back rent, bills, and lost jobs to recover from. Reopening doesn't just magically solve that.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1639 on: March 02, 2021, 05:07:47 PM »
There is an awful amount of back rent, bills, and lost jobs to recover from. Reopening doesn't just magically solve that.

Too bad that's not where Congress is targeting most of the 1.9 trillion.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: March 02, 2021, 05:33:06 PM »
Merck helping J&J.   Talk about the art of the deal.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #1641 on: March 02, 2021, 06:59:19 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1642 on: March 02, 2021, 07:15:55 PM »
So if he tweeted “Liberate Michigan but remember keep 6ft of distance and wear your masks” he would have been fine?

Exactly.

But maybe - probably not, but maybe - you'll stop saying his only failing regarding COVID-19 was his "messaging."

The way he handled it from mid-April on was a national disgrace and a national disaster.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1644 on: March 02, 2021, 07:42:06 PM »
Exactly.

But maybe - probably not, but maybe - you'll stop saying his only failing regarding COVID-19 was his "messaging."

The way he handled it from mid-April on was a national disgrace and a national disaster.

We were taking about masks so my comments were on his messaging around masks given the context of the conversation.  Of course it wasn’t his or the administrations only mistake but I think it was the most egregious.  But to say their response was a national disaster is hyperbole, even for you amigo.

Fauci’s boss just recently gave some glowing remarks on the accomplishments of operation warp speed.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1645 on: March 02, 2021, 08:52:01 PM »

It's what competentcy looks like.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1646 on: March 02, 2021, 10:10:50 PM »
It's what competentcy looks like.

Get da fuq outta here.

Droolin Joe didn't do a GD thing.  "Why am I here?"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: March 02, 2021, 10:18:16 PM »
Get da fuq outta here.

Droolin Joe didn't do a GD thing.  "Why am I here?"

I wonder what it's like to be so ignorant.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1648 on: March 02, 2021, 10:24:48 PM »

Mirror, brah.  Mirror.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: March 02, 2021, 11:01:18 PM »
Not ignorant, reality-proofed. Observable reality doesn't stand a chance against the fantasy world they've constructed for themselves.

feedback